AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-04-19, 23:26   Link #61
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

My favorite Tsunderes are Rin Tohsaka, Hinagiku Katsura, Shana, Misaka Mikoto, Kagami Hiiragi, and so and so forth, which seems to be the consensus here. I just love how the characters break off from their normal, cool, levelheaded temperament to an embarrassed, blushing, stuttering state, romance related or not. So adorable

As for Hitagi, I haven't seen her blush or be dere, so no, shes not a Tsunder imo.

Personally, I think I'm getting a little tired of Kugimiya Rie vocing tsunderes... Like, when I listened to Aria's voice in the new anime Hidan no Aria I just went, "oh, she that type of character." Kugimiya might as well be a sub archtype of tsundere. Though I still think her voice and performance is perfect for certain tsundere types. Can you think of Shana being voiced by someone else? Cause I can't *insert urusaix3 here*
Old 2011-04-19, 23:31   Link #62
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Personally, I think I'm getting a little tired of Kugimiya Rie vocing tsunderes... Like, when I listened to Aria's voice in the new anime Hidan no Aria I just went, "oh, she that type of character." Kugimiya might as well be a sub archtype of tsundere. Though I still think her voice and performance is perfect for certain tsundere types. Can you think of Shana being voiced by someone else? Cause I can't *insert urusaix3 here*
I am much more partial towards her other current tsundere loli role of Astarotte instead of Aria .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 23:45   Link #63
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Yeh most people say the original Tsundere was Lum from Urusei Yatsura.
Yup... although Shinobou was just as much a Tsundere if not more so, and technically she appears in the anime before Lum does.

There is also Kyoko Onotashi from Maison Ikkoku, and Akane Tendo from Ranma 1/2.

Personally I think Akane had the biggest impact on Tsundere types until Shana came along.

My favorites?

Kyoko Onotashi
Aoba Tsukamia
Akane Tendo
Mikoto Misaka
Kagami Higari
Felli Loss

I'd like to mention that Felli Loss is unique in that she appeals to me for a very different reason from the others. I identify with Felli. The others tend to be similar to girls I dated in real life who I liked and enjoyed being with- so I'm reminded of fond memories when I see them on screen. Felli though appeals to me because I identify with her struggles to communicate and frustration with her situation.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 02:10   Link #64
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I am much more partial towards her other current tsundere loli role of Astarotte instead of Aria .
Actually, I just got to watch Astarotte, and I completely agree with you
Old 2011-04-20, 02:51   Link #65
chachaboru
Banned

Kagami Hiiragi, she's the first tsundere i have known...
next to her is Misaka Mikoto, or biribiri, i call her thundere!!!!
chachaboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 02:59   Link #66
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Hitagi is most certainly NO tsundere ^_^; ... a great character, but no tsundere. I think to see a blushing, stammering Hitagi would be hilarious!
I'm pretty sure she is. She just doesn't exhibit some of the stereotypical traits.

However, she definitely has a tsundere's soul - the desire to get close to someone while also desiring to keep a certain distance between them. On the tsun side, her weapon of choice seems to be a sufficiently forceful cold should, sometimes punctuated with violence. On the dere side... well "That's how hard I've fallen for you, Araragi-kun" (in certain translations of episode 12) is a pretty solid dere line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
I like Aria for the same reason I like most other Kugamiya tsunderes: she's a pint sized can of ass whoop. Only in this case, she has the added bonus of Colt 45s and thigh emphasizing thigh holsters. Taiga is probably my favourite of the bunch just because she's a "badass normal" - the lack of supernatural ability or awesome weapons only makes her ass kicking more impressive.

None of them have qualities I'd particularly like in a girlfriend, although I often cheer them on in their own romantic endeavors and I find Taiga to be a fairly sympathetic character.

This actually leads me to my big complaint about how Misaka was handled in Index/Railgun. To me, the way Touma reduces her to a blushing mess reduces the badass appeal that made her so much fun in the first place. Not saying that that she shouldn't mellow towards him, but I think it should have been handled in a more subtle fashion.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 04:14   Link #67
mecharobot

Nice to see that Hayase Misa has so much support here. I'll throw in my support as well. This is how you make a level headed tsundere character. A real one with complete development.

Then again, it could be argued that she wouldn't count these days anymore as tsundere have become a trope where their bipolarity must be stretched to the extreme for fetish appeal.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 05:22   Link #68
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
Nice to see that Hayase Misa has so much support here. I'll throw in my support as well. This is how you make a level headed tsundere character. A real one with complete development.

Then again, it could be argued that she wouldn't count these days anymore as tsundere have become a trope where their bipolarity must be stretched to the extreme for fetish appeal.
And I doubt the term: Tsundere: was applicable in that era.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 08:38   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post

The fact there is an extreme doesn't mean the term doesn't apply to milder varieties. The word is a describing characteristic that goes from zero to 11, not just 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu
And I doubt the term: Tsundere: was applicable in that era.
The term applies no matter what the era, it's a taxonomy term -- applies just as well to Kate of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew as to a modern subverted archetype like Toradora's Taiga. It just happens to be a Japanese 'naming word' of a personality trait.
Old 2011-04-20, 08:57   Link #70
yakisobapan

My absolute favorite ones are Rin and Kurisu, followed by Hina and Mikoto.

As for Hitagi, while she's one of my favourite characters ever, I don't consider her to be a tsundere. She's in a category of her own. :P

Last edited by yakisobapan; 2011-04-20 at 09:14.
yakisobapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 12:51   Link #71
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Hina, Rin (mainly from the game's UBW), Taiga, Kagami and Kuroneko.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 13:33   Link #72
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I dislike tsundere, especially the modern tsundere that appears with Akane Tendo. It seems to endorse a double standard where abuse, physical and verbal, is totally okay if it is female on male. Abuse is not cool, in both way and equality of genders is a two-ways road.

Rant aside, I am open to exceptions or tsundere that appears as characters able to stand on their own without the tsundere trait being the sole trait they need to stand on and exist. Therefore, my favorite tsundere of all time is Madoka Ayakuwa from Kimagure Orange Road. She is "balanced", with the right mix of whimsical behavior and attitude, and genuine caring and love for Kyosuke. In my eyes, Madoka Ayukawa embodies what Doc Brown from Back to the Future called, "The Greatest Mystery of the Universe."

And she nurtured my loving for tall, dark-haired bishoujo.

As for modern tsundere, my pick would be Rin Tohsaka.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 18:23   Link #73
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachaboru View Post
Kagami Hiiragi, she's the first tsundere i have known...
next to her is Misaka Mikoto, or biribiri, i call her thundere!!!!
You so got that from somewhere
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 23:13   Link #74
LostHanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I dislike tsundere, especially the modern tsundere that appears with Akane Tendo. It seems to endorse a double standard where abuse, physical and verbal, is totally okay if it is female on male. Abuse is not cool, in both way and equality of genders is a two-ways road.
I don't quite understand how or why tsundere = abuse. I do not think that is part of the description more than it is how some authors interpret tsundere. Really, I find the double standards annoying and random acts of violence to be godawful, especially when it is done for no good reason, but that has nothing to do with a character being tsundere.

I suppose what you mean is that many authors have been interpreting tsundere in that way... In which case I can agree.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Rin Tohsaka and Akiha Tohno - both from the visual novel's of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Visual novel derived example:
My desktop computer is named Tsugumi, after the character affectionately known to Ever 17 players as "Tsunderegumi". My USB flash drive is named Chami after her pet hamster.
Having just read through her route I laughed so hard at this.
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 05:06   Link #75
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHanyou View Post
I don't quite understand how or why tsundere = abuse. I do not think that is part of the description more than it is how some authors interpret tsundere. Really, I find the double standards annoying and random acts of violence to be godawful, especially when it is done for no good reason, but that has nothing to do with a character being tsundere.

I suppose what you mean is that many authors have been interpreting tsundere in that way... In which case I can agree.
That's more the latter part. I am blaming Akane Tendo and Naru Narusegawa for providing an easy and lazy route for characterization of that kind of whimsical characters to authors so they don't have to think hard about it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 15:49   Link #76
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Naru Narusegawa
Wow, I totally forgot about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHanyou
how or why tsundere = abuse
Plenty of tsundere characters practice the act of abuse. Stupid male does something or says something - the retribution follows. It's a gag; and it'll continue that way. Of course, after seeing plenty of that, it's not really all that funny anymore (once in a while though).
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 16:10   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Taking the shallow end of the pool of tsundere and calling that the whole spectrum is simplistic.... equating the whole spectrum to "abuse" is simplistic. Those doing so had better be willing to call *all* of slapstick comedy "abusive and evil", blah blah.

Tsundere is about someone who feels fragile/vulnerable and puts up loud, noisy shields of defense to cover it. The shallow end of that trope is... shallow, eyah. Just like the shallow end of "action shounen" is .... shallow (shouting, posturing, spending the entire ep making one move, little boy tough fantasy, etc).

Picking the extreme end of a trope to attack the entire spectrum leaves one open to flank attacks on their position .
Old 2011-04-21, 16:53   Link #78
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Kosaka Kirino. Well, she's the most favorite I can pull up without mounting any of my library drives.
edit: For the why, we get to see all the other parts of her--the sweet, the vulnerable, the spazzy otaku, and the insufferable bitch in a sweet and sour family story that, despite not being an explicitly romantic relationship, builds a tsundere who isn't a random abusive old nag that a main character puts up with for dubious reasons.

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-04-21 at 18:28.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 00:32   Link #79
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
You so got that from somewhere
The word has been around for quite awhile so alot of people know about it.
Old 2011-04-23, 00:58   Link #80
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Not an anime, but I gotta say Helga was quite the memorable one. Yes, Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold. I just love how she dives so far from one end of the spectrum(insulting and bullying Arnold) to the other(making poems, love shrines, and other Arnold-like memorabilia). Of course, there is FARRRRR more to her character than her tsundere tendencies, but for whatever reason, I like to group her as such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vx View Post
Motoko Aoyoma from Love Hina (manga). Interestingly, one of my not-favorite examples is from the same series: Naru, who just fails in my opinion.
I never read the manga, but in the TV+OVAs, I really liked Motoko and hated Naru as well. I think part of why I hated Naru was because of how much Keitaro put her on some holy pedestal. I REALLY disliked that, even back then, since every other character was more interesting and/or cute than she was. That, and the obvious not-admitting-your-feelings bit, which is typical for the tsundere char, but you can only take so much abuse you can take. Probably why so many seasons are 13 eps instead of 26 .
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote