AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-11-01, 04:08   Link #7021
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Most definitely.
Old 2011-11-01, 10:03   Link #7022
Orophin

Actually, Higurashi is slightly longer according to the script sizes.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: 2.17 MB
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai: 3.24 MB

Higurashi Total: 5.41 MB

-----

Umineko no Naku Koro ni: 2.75 MB
Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru: 2.55 MB

Umineko Total: 5.30 MB

Those numbers are taken from TLWiki and are based on the Japanese versions of the games.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 12:14   Link #7023
Number1-Syaoran-Fan
Your's In Gold, Beatrice

True. Remember, Matsuribayashi-hen was massive. And Umineko had quite a few shorter ones like EP3...

"I... I really like your bow."
Number1-Syaoran-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 13:00   Link #7024
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
File sizes aren't a good indicator of length, though, since you have to consider graphics, scripting and coding, etcetera.
Old 2011-11-01, 13:08   Link #7025
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

We're not going back to this discussion again, are we?

Anyway, it's true that you can't really compare by file size…

…but you can certainly measure the amount of time it takes to play the visual novels. In that case, Umineko feels longer to me. I didn't actually time it though, maybe that's something to look into…
Old 2011-11-01, 13:17   Link #7026
Cao Ni Ma

Well, if you count EVERYTHING in the Higurashi-verse it would be longer than if you count everything in the Umineko-verse right now. There's a lot of chapters added to higurashi in the DS and PS2 games.

If you only count the original PC games and supplemental texts, then Umineko is the longest visual novel in existence.
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:26   Link #7027
aiman24

wow, i'm quite surprised to see the recent updates to the percentages...

i hope you all can keep the pace a bit longer.

thank you Witch-Hunt
aiman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 21:03   Link #7028
DoktorFunk
Warned for a moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman24 View Post
wow, i'm quite surprised to see the recent updates to the percentages...

i hope you all can keep the pace a bit longer.

thank you Witch-Hunt
Whoa! You're totally right. Its nice to see updates on their progress. At this rate, Ep 8 may be finished before Higanbana.

The sheer volume of work WH has done up to this point is really something. It's hard to believe they're this close to the finish line!
DoktorFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 14:45   Link #7029
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorFunk View Post
Whoa! You're totally right. Its nice to see updates on their progress. At this rate, Ep 8 may be finished before Higanbana.

The sheer volume of work WH has done up to this point is really something. It's hard to believe they're this close to the finish line!
Yeah, at one point I was thinking that we would be done before WH, but their pace is really picking up.

Of course, our goal is Winter Comiket, whereas WH's goal is 'by the end of the year', but it's quite hard to say.

It would be logical (in terms of chronology) to have Umineko out before Higanbana, though.

Just a tiny bit more to go… *excited*
Old 2011-11-04, 01:41   Link #7030
Kylon99

Isn't Winter Comike at the end of the year? Specifically December 29th - 31st? 8)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 15:13   Link #7031
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

That's right. Higanbana: The Second Night should be released there, so it would be nice to get the translation done before then. Of course, that's only our goal… I can't say if it will actually be out by then or not.

Anyway, back to the discussion about the Umineko translation…
Old 2011-11-07, 09:17   Link #7032
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
Anyway, it's true that you can't really compare by file size…

…but you can certainly measure the amount of time it takes to play the visual novels. In that case, Umineko feels longer to me. I didn't actually time it though, maybe that's something to look into…
Personally I think the manga is a good indication of length. Both the Higurashi and Umineko VN's were adapted into manga while trying to retain as much of the core story as possible, and if you compare the Question Arcs of Higurashi's manga (each one contained two volumes) to EP1-4 of Umineko...

Legend - 4 Volumes
Turn - 5 Volumes
Banquet - 5 Volumes
Alliance - 5 Volumes and counting

That's in adapted form, which means for both Higurashi and Umineko, they're trying to convey as much of the story's actual message and scenes without being bogged down by Ryukishi's (often unnecessary) wordiness, which is something you have to consider when just looking at wordcount in the script Just judging it from that perspective, I think Umineko is a far longer series, and for Witch-Hunt to have carried it this far is truly a testament to their hard work and dedication
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 13:19   Link #7033
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Significant portions of Higurashi are filled with various club games, which usually aren't too plot-important, and gets dropped from adaptations. There's much less obviously filler material in Umineko.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 13:22   Link #7034
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Significant portions of Higurashi are filled with various club games, which usually aren't too plot-important, and gets dropped from adaptations. There's much less obviously filler material in Umineko.
And I found Higurashi to be much, much more repetetive and draggy in certain scenes. Some events were described in 3 to 4 different ways before finally going on, while Umineko was actually pretty tightly paced, though people might disagree during the portions describing the family conference.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 13:04   Link #7035
Kylon99

That makes me very sad. 8) EDIT: I mean 8(

I wish he'd do something about that particular writing style. Unless he's trying to make a point about presenting us with clue over and over and us not getting it, at most some things could be repeated twice, but not four times in succession. I remember times in EP6, 7 and 8 where he kept doing that...

Going through Umineko, I'm pretty much guaranteed to never, ever forget the word 'sunawachi'. ("In other words" etc). Every time I see that now, I cringe in horror of feeling like I will repeat my life over and over like Rika...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 14:12   Link #7036
maximilianjenus
[E]

now you know why he did not get published as a novelist originally and had to start with vns.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 16:43   Link #7037
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
now you know why he did not get published as a novelist originally and had to start with vns.
Not that he doesn't have issues with repetition, but I invite you to look up "Kaidan to Odorou", a light novel he got published before he started Higurashi.
Old 2011-11-08, 19:15   Link #7038
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Not that he doesn't have issues with repetition, but I invite you to look up "Kaidan to Odorou", a light novel he got published before he started Higurashi.
The story was published in 2005 just a short while before Higurashi was finsished and it only consists of two chapters. Well, published is a relative term. He made it into FAUST, an irregular Kodansha magazine which gives young pop-authors from the light novel and visual novel area a place to write, as well as releasing some more otaku'ish works of Mephisto winners like Nishio Isshin.
Kaidan to odorô soshite anata wa kaidan de odoru was never published outside of FAUST magazine (very few of those stories are) and it was more of an experiment than anything else.

But yes, he admitted himself that his wordiness is one of his biggest flaws and he hoped that it would be one he would learn to handle when writing short stories. Higanbana dares to imply he failed I think...
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 19:39   Link #7039
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
The story was published in 2005 just a short while before Higurashi was finsished and it only consists of two chapters.
Oh, I guess my dates are off then. My understanding was that it was an early work that ended up being somehow related to Higurashi, but I haven't read it myself.

It's interesting that it was published in FAUST though. I guess his relationship with that magazine goes back pretty far.
Old 2011-11-08, 19:44   Link #7040
guro
I like ice cream.

woahhhh I read the first half of episode one all in Japanese finally! I had some trouble with Kanji but I kept my kanji finder next to me and managed to get through.

However it takes half the time to read in English so thank you witch-hunt for making my life easier! I'm not good enough yet to breeze through R07's works! I honestly don't mind the wait between translations because I am very busy with school work anyways. In fact it would be perfect if you don't finish it til the last week of December or first week of January because that is when I have no school.
guro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation