Notices

Old 2015-11-21, 14:17   Link #21
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

I love the concept and story of this work :P
Old 2015-11-28, 15:26   Link #22
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Unhappy Hide Your True Past: Mi Mi

Chapter 12:

MiMi uses flirt on delivery boy.

It is ineffective.

MiMi use food bribe on delivery boy.

It is ineffective.

Delivery boy uses ignore.

Delivery boy escapes.

After this we see a discussion between ShiHan and his boss, about why he's so cold towards Madame Mi

Why?

Because ShiHan considers Madame Mi a whore.

Yeah... he just said that...

There follows a debate about what a whore really is.

ShiHan feels that as Madame Mi plys men with smiles and alcohol to earn money... she is a whore.

Delivery Boss tries to reason with him. And we learn Delivery Boss is living through a Bon Jovi/Billy Joel song.

Now I kinda want a spin off about Delivery Boss and his wife...

ShiHan counters by arguing that a platonic relationship between a man and a woman can become an affair...

Yeah... he's being so obstinate... someone hurt him. Hurt him very badly.

I'm betting that his father had an affair and left the family... probably with a girl he met at a bar.

I hereby dub him: CYNIC MAN!

We also learn that ShiHan dropped out of college for some reason.

We also get a bit of ShiHan's thought's behind that solemn mask: "She's a person whose beauty is saddening."

Maybe he does remember his past with Madame Mi?

ShiHan aka Cynic Man, is dragged out drinking by his boss. It's a required thing after work to go drinking with the boss...

I am so glad I don't work in Asia.

Cynic Man promptly gets hammered, and then wanders off when his minder gets distracted.

Whoa... whatever it was he was drinking was some pretty psychedelic stuff. That or Cynic Man does not handle alcohol well.

Madame Mi is out back of her bar worrying about sales, when she hears something. She hopes it's a stray cat. She likes cats....

No! Instead it's a stray Cynic Man!

-----------------------------

Anyway, we are now on page 2 so feel free to start posting about the most recent happenings. I'm probably going to post a few summaries that are almost done, then maybe a catch up summary jumping us to the Unity Camp arc for each heroine.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2015-11-30 at 15:13.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 15:50   Link #23
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Unhappy Hide Your True Past: Mi Mi

Chapter 13:

Ah! The start of multi-chapter arcs for one heroine.

We pick up where we left off. Madame Mi has carried ShiHan into the bar's back room, and the other barmaids have come by to ooh and aww over how hot and handsome he is.

ShiHan wakes up, and Madame Mi informs him his co-worker is coming for him.

ShiHan apologizes for the inconvenience.

Madame Mi tells him it that it's understandable if he isn't used to heavy drinking.

ShiHan is having none of it! "BEING DRUNK DOESN'T EXCUSE WHAT YOU DO!"

Well, Cynic Man may be strict, harsh, and blunt, but he spares not himself! No hypocrite is he.

And right now he is royally pissed at himself, and giving himself a stern lecture.

Madame Mi understands though: "It's difficult to say no when your boss tells you to drink."

Ah... but Cynic Man is drunk, and so all the filters are off, and he calls Madame Mi a ho.

Before Madame Mi can reply, one of the barmaids, EunHee (the one with blue hair) douses ShiHan with a cup of water, and reads him the riot act. (Why is she so colorful? I hereby name her Miss Colorful!)

Madame Mi calls off the vengeful EunHee and fetches a towel for ShiHan.

ShiHan doubles down on his criticism. Arguing that stereotypes exist for a reason, and if you choose a job that has a stereotype, you can't complain if people apply that stereotype to you.

Madame Mi tries to point out that this is not actually a brothel, nor even a cabaret club that provides scantily clad women to drink with customers.

ShiHan is relentless, and points out that all the barmaids are young beautiful women, and asks if men would come and drink as much if they weren't.

He accuses them of encouraging affairs.

Madame Mi thinks that is too much.

But ShiHan responds that a decent woman wouldn't work in a bar. Not when she could get a different job... and that one, that one seemed to cut MiMi quite badly. I wonder what is behind that reaction.

And oh yes... he hasn't explicitly said it, but I'm certain now that ShiHan's father had an affair with someone from a bar.

ShiHan's coworker shows up and hauls ShiHan away before MiMi can find a response. Also, he certainly wants more from Madame Mi than a smile.

And... oh dear... Miss Colorful has stolen Cynic Man's wallet, and tosses it.

EunHee, why did you do that?! Now you have doomed yourself to tsundere UST with ShiHan for the next 100 chapters.

Eunhee wants to cancel the delivery contract, but Madame Mi refuses, saying that she owes ShiHan a debt...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2015-11-28 at 16:50.
Old 2015-11-28, 16:04   Link #24
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Unhappy Hide Your True Face: Na Young Min

Chapter 14:

Huh... so Na Young rejected SooHo.

He's rather bummed out about it, and is hanging with his bro to get some comfort... and is instead reminded about the time he fell for a woman that turned out to actually be a male cross dresser.

I guess his bro is going for the "at least it's not as bad as it could be" tactic...

Anyway, if SooHo is taking it hard, Na Young is taking it far far worse.

Wailing, and gnashing of teeth, mascara running like Niagara Falls. You wouldn't think Na Young was the one who rejected SooHo....

Na Young... man Na Young has some serious esteem issues. She feels that "regardless of looks" only applies if you are plain, not if you are flat out ugly.

Thinking that she'd have to hide her face forever, and could she continue to hide it after marriage...

Yeah... she's already thinking about marriage...

Get some flashbacks... this poor girl really has a serious complex about being ugly.

And plastic surgery is not an option... her recovery rate is too low, and so the doctor's say she might die.

Last edited by Sackett; 2015-11-28 at 16:50.
Old 2015-11-28, 16:30   Link #25
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Talking Hide Your True Age: SooJin

Chapter 15:

Oh good, a SooJin chapter... this better be funny cause the last three chapters have been frowny faces.

SooJin has been sent on a mission by Na Young's roommate (who also happens to be Chae Rim's Aunt Yuri - so that's how they know each other).

(We also now know Na Young's roommate's name: Yuri.)

The mission? To gather limited edition cosmetics to try and cheer up Na Young. Chae Rim has been drafted into the duty as well to help carry bags and to allow getting a second portion of limited edition cosmetics (one per a customer), and SooJin exploits her disguise powers (makeup?) to get two more portions, for a total of four.

SooJin intends to succeed on this mission with an A++

They decide to make a detour to Na Young's shop and drop off the magazines they had to buy to get the cosmetics.

At Na Young's beauty shop they discover the most adorable kid with her face pressed up against the windows to look at the cosmetics.

SooJin is harsh with her, telling to wipe off the glass. She hates kids since they cry, pout, are stubborn, lie, and worst of all... weak.

Chae Rim points out that SooJin is exactly like that herself.

Ah honest friends, how rare they are...

Turns out this little green haired girl is from overseas and doesn't speak Korean that well...

Even SooJin cannot resist the power of CUUUUUUTTTTTTTEEEEEE!

She really is cute.

And so SooJin gives her some mints, which makes the girl even more cute... ahh it's such a nice bonding moment.

Then the little girl's father shows up...

Why hello Mr. Cool, I didn't know you had a daughter.

Her name is Ruri Pi, and Ian Pi is her father...

"LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

SooJin attempts to run from reality.

No really, she runs away as fast as she can.

(I can't help but compare this to the latest Koi Dano Ai Dano chapter and Kanoko's reaction).

Chae Rim is confused and follows.

Ruri makes pancakes with her father, and is really curious about SooJin (or "the pretty unni" as Ruri labels her).

"First she's mad, then she smiles and gives candy, and then she cries."

Ian Pi just labels SooJin as mercurial.

He changes the subject to school. It's clear that Ruri is having some kind of problem at school, but she's concealing it from her dad. Ian is a bit suspicious at first, but ends up believing his daughter. After all, who could hate his daughter when she's such a good girl...

They made too many pancakes.

We jump back over to Aunt Yuri's apartment and surround sound wails! On one end, Na Young, mourning the love she rejected. On the other SooJin, mourning the love that turns out to be a married man!

Chae Rim attempts to comfort SooJin: "Nice guys are already taken, and the best guys are gay."

The weeping SooJin is not comforted...

And of course Ruri has dropped by to share the extra pancakes with Aunt Yuri, as they live in the same apartment complex.

Old 2015-11-28, 16:47   Link #26
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Wink Hide Your True Age: SooJin

Chapter 16:

Pancakes! And books, as apparently Ruri is returning some books Aunt Yuri lent her, and Aunt Yuri offers to lend her more.

Ruri is excited to see the "candy unni" but SooJin demonstrates her maturity by yelling at Ruri, and declaring that anyone who eats those pancakes is a traitor!

(Note "unni" = "nee-san").

She also tells Ruri to go eat those pancakes with her mother.

Ruri gets real quiet and downcast at that. Enough so that even SooJin picks up on it.

Aunt Yuri (who seems quite down to earth) sends Ruri off to the library to pick out books with Chae Rim, so that she can have a chat with SooJin.

She explains that Ruri was abandoned by her mother, who decided she didn't need her anymore, and so Ruri had to come live with her father. (They were never married).

SooJin is excited! He's not married!

Aunt Yuri tries to point out that the age gap is an issue and that SooJin is too young. There is some back and forth, and Aunt Yuri and the forces of reason are winning.... until SooJin pulls out the big guns and compares her love for Ian to Aunt Yuri's love for 2D men.

Aunt Yuri is defeated!

Aunt Yuri does explain to SooJin that she needs to cheer up Ruri after saying something like that to her.

SooJin is a bit stupid and oblivious, but after it's spelled out to her she gets it, and decides to cheer up Ruri. Finding it too hard to apologize, SooJin instead creates an organization:

Secret Pri Pri Girlz!

Ruri is excited and overjoyed to be invited to join it.

And thus begins SooJin's long character development arc. (It's one of my favorites because of the massive character development in it).

Old 2015-11-30, 14:50   Link #27
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Unhappy Hide Your True Feelings: Ari Doh (Summary upto Chapter 50)

Chapter 51 is the beginning of the setup for the Unity Camp arc, so it makes sense to summarize the heroines up until that chapter.

Ari's story is simple and sweet.

She breaks her ankle while jogging in heels (insert short jokes here).

So she brings her pet dog into the shop for some exercise, since she can't really do anything for her dog herself. Her dog has a lot of issues, since he was abused by his first owner. He hates men.

Seo Jin uses his Dr. Doolittle skills to figure out her dog's issues, and Ari now recognizes him as a "dog whisperer." (Look out Caesar! You got some competition now!)

Although Ari wonders why he can't understand humans better if he can do it with dogs. SeoJin responds that humans, especially women, are very confusing because they give conflicting signals:

"If it isn't the way it doesn't seem it is, it isn't is it?"

Also, SeoJin mentions that he thinks Ari is very cute when she's mad. (They remind me so much of Akane and Ranma - all the chemistry without the violence and martial arts wackiness).

The experience brings some bonding moments, and Ari realizes she is falling for SeoJin rather hard.

We get a flashback on Ari's past loves, and find out she has always been the one giving love, and never receiving it. She's dated a playboy who cheated on her, a guy who was using her as an insurance relationship and broke up with her when his real target came open, and a guy who broke up with her because he decided she was too much of a hassle.

Yeah... she's got some issues.

And so she swore that she would never fall in love first again, but instead would wait for a man to fall in love with her first.

She's also been getting some family pressure to get married.

I have to admit, I really relate to Ari a lot. She's probably my favorite heroine, even if her story is much more simple and mundane compared to the other story lines.

Last edited by Sackett; 2015-12-06 at 07:11.
Old 2015-11-30, 15:13   Link #28
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Question Hide Your True Past: Mi Mi (Summary upto Chapter 50)

MiMi's story continues to drop little hints about her past, but without actually revealing anything. I've become quite intrigued.

Mimi was stopped wearing fancy dresses, and switched to wearing the proper uniform for the bar. I guess she took ShiHan's criticism to heart?

Eunhee is distressed about this, and mentions that "wearing a dress has special meaning to you." Miss Colorful is very upset with ShiHan for upsetting MiMi, and even more upset that MiMi seems to be heeding his criticism.

MiMi describes her relationship with ShiHan as "very special to me, but nothing to him."

Meanwhile, a sober Cynic Man (ShiHan) is regretting his drunken honesty. He's horribly insulted a valuable customer, so he feels he has to apologize, even if he thinks what he said was true.

MiMi accepts his apology on the condition that he come work at the bar as a waiter for a week.

ShiHan accepts, and is promptly stuck having to deal with female customers very excited about the new beefcake. The barmaids are also gushing over him.

Yeah... not helping ShiHan's impression at all, Cynic Man is becoming even more cynical.

Then a very shy woman comes to the bar for the first time, and MiMi pushes ShiHan to converse with her. She ends up dumping out her feeling of being overworked and mistreated at her job just because she's not pretty. ShiHan gently give her some firm advice, and she leaves feeling a little better.

The experience makes ShiHan begin to understand MiMi's point of view a bit better.

Later she comes back on his last day. She's obviously fallen for him (more for his gentle firmness than his looks), and she finds out he's leaving. She's feeling frustrated at how the pretty girls all get to flirt so confidently, and she lashes out at Na Young who happened to walk in with two men on her arms (Guardian band members - not SooHo).

Na Young gives the shy young woman a makeover! Gathering her courage, she obliquely confesses to ShiHan - who is completely oblivious to love...

He's also oblivious to MiMi's attempts to flirt with him.

EunHee is not happy at all that MiMi is trying to flirt with ShiHan, and she continues her tsuntsun routine with him. (Is she jealous of ShiHan getting close to MiMi, or jealous of MiMi getting close to ShiHan? Is she just pretending to herself that she's worried about MiMi because ShiHan was a jerk to her?)

Other things we learn is that ShiHan dropped out of college and didn't tell his mother that he did so. He was the top of his class, until he had some kind of break down and couldn't remember anything for his final. Memory problems? Too much stress? Mysterious shoujo disease claims another victim?

ShiHan is also connected to the band Guardian as one of his co-workers is in the band, and he used to go to school with another one of the band members. (How he found the job in the first place.)

Old 2015-11-30, 15:16   Link #29
Kreceir

Does this get updated often? The last time I commented here it was at 71.
And it still is at 71.
not saying the should hurry up, but I'm kinda qurious on what is going on seeing the view teasers, in the chapters before it went down,
Old 2015-12-01, 00:35   Link #30
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
And it still is at 71.
not saying the should hurry up, but I'm kinda qurious on what is going on seeing the view teasers, in the chapters before it went down,
Easy going scans is translating it, but on an erratic schedule.

However, it's has seemed to be roughly once a month.

The translator missed a month due to school stuff in September/October, but started back up this month with chapter 71, so I'm guessing another chapter will come out in Dec.

They used to be on a bi-weekly schedule. But for some reason they dropped the frequency in favor of new works.

I guess you could go comment on their website and express interest in Dear, Only You Don't Know. (They also have next chapter status for all their works, DOYDK ch 72 is at 45% completion right now).

Maybe they'll promote it again to their bi-weekly lineup if enough people express interest.

Old 2015-12-06, 07:09   Link #31
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Unhappy Hide Your True Face: Na Young Min (Summary up to chapter 50)

First we get to see Na Young's family during the holidays, and discover that her father and both her sisters are beauties, while her mother is... plain like her. (Huh, Na Young should ask her mother for dating tips).

We then have another flashback to when NaYoung first got involved with Guardian. She convinced SooHo to let her give Guardian a makeover. Up until then they had focused on music and not presentation, and where having trouble developing a fanbase.

SooHo felt angry at the bands he saw that had the good looks, but didn't have decent music, yet were still successful in getting a fanbase, because of this he was resistant to caring about his band's looks. NaYoung muses on how she used to feel the same way when she was in school. That pretty girls were cheating, so she refused to wear makeup.

NaYoung visits Lime Bar (the bar MiMi manages), and is confronted by the shy girl there, and gives her a makeover. The shy girl confesses to ShiHan, and is rejected, and NaYoung reflects on her own relationship with SooHo, and should she have had more courage and tried to make a relationship work.

She then tells the story of "The Ugly Cinderella" which is basically the same as the traditional Cinderella fairy-tale, except that this Cinderella was ugly - although the godmother's magic made her beautiful for the ball. When the Prince went around trying to find the girl who's foot fit the slipper, she refused to try it on, saying it wouldn't fit anyway, because she wanted the Prince to remember her as the beauty he met at the ball, not her ugly true self. Unable to find the mysterious girl from the ball, the Prince married a beautiful Princess from the neighboring kingdom. The end.

Later, we meet one of Na Young's clients, SeIn, who wants to get made up for her brother's wedding. She's rich, cute, nice, petite, and a little adorkable (ahe's also a bit of a dojikko). Basically the typical shoujo manga heroine.

I think we just met our neighboring princess.

She has a meet cute moment with SooHo, and begins pursuing him, in an aggressive, but not overly aggressive manner. She confides in Na Young about her interest. Apparently picking up on the fact that Na Young is attracted to SooHo she even confirms with Na Young first that SooHo is still on the market, and that Na Young is not intending to pursue him romantically before she starts really chasing him.

Basically she's as nice a man-stealer as possible, and we are left feeling that Na Young is the one at fault for not taking the chance at a romance with SooHo.

Old 2015-12-06, 18:32   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Thumbs up Hide Your True Age: SooJin (Summary up to Chapter 50)

A lot of readers felt irritated by SooJin's arc in this section, because they felt she took up more than her share of the story, and they wanted to see other characters. In fact, SooJin uses roughly the same number of chapters as most of the other heroines. (Boss Lady and ChaeRim each have about half the number the other four heroines got). However, it does feel like a lot more, because SooJin's chapters are dense. A lot of things happen in her chapters, so much so that despite having roughly the same number of chapters, her summary is about four times as large as the other heroines. Personally I find the dense nature of SooJin's character development to be a good thing - she certainly needed it.

We open up with SooJin at Ian's place, where she is playing games with Ruri and SeoJin (who she nicknames "Uncle Mayo").

She's been using the "I'm Ruri's friend" as an excuse to visit Ian's home. Ian decides he needs to do something about this, so he offers to walk her to the train station. During the walk, Ian rejects SooJin like a boss.

He tells her that he's not dense, and past the age for flirting games, and maybe he's mistaken (thus giving her a face saving out), but it seems she is interested in him, but he is "not interested in you."

SooJin is caught by surprise, but gathers her courage and confesses. Ian insists that he is not interested, he already has someone he is interested in, and it's not SooJin. SooJin is determined, and in the back and forth learn that it is not Ruri's mother, and that Ian's love is unrequited. (It's MiMi from the bar, but SooJin doesn't know that.)

On learning that, SooJin keeps up the pressure, essentially offering to be Ian's insurance policy. Ian still refuses her, and brings up that he's upset that she is using Ruri to visit, and tells SooJin to not come back.

SooJin pretends not hear, and runs away, saying she'll see him again. It's pretty clear that SooJin is madly over the top in love with Ian... or at least in love with love as only a middle school girl on her first love can be.

SooJin then goes to meet with her sister, who turns out to be... Mi Mi. (Of course, SooJin Mi, Mi Mi, should have seen that one coming).

It seems that Mi Mi is raising SooJin? Missing parents?

SooJin enters into some love talk with her older sister, and there is some humor as MiMi assumes SooJin must be talking about a boy her own age. SooJin realizes that her sister will never approve her dating a 30 year old, so she conceals Ian's age by labeling him "college aged" (and Ruri becomes his little sister).

MiMi says that he's too old for SooJin, and tries to explain that your perspective changes as you age. She also agrees that it's wrong to use Ruri to get closer to Ian. She'd hate it if someone used SooJin to get close to her.

SooJin then said something pretty profound:

"If the safe choice is always the best one, why are there so many people with regrets?"

We then move on to SooJin filling ChaeRim in on the latest developments. ChaeRim agrees with me that Ian is very cool and manly to make his position so clear. The banter between these two is great.

SooJin is not planning on giving up though. SooJin has a 4 year plan in progress to mark her territory, and keep other women away from Ian (I guess until she's old enough to marry him?).

ChaeRim feels sorry for Ian, and tries to support MiMi's position with words of science on brain development. SooJin is having none of this, and points out that there are two bad scenarios that can come from this:

First, she could keep chasing after Ian, and later end up horribly embarrassed about how she made a fool out of herself. Second, she could give up on Ian, and then never find someone as good for her as him. Leaving her filled with regret for not trying harder. "Embarrassments fade, regrets linger." Basically she's arguing that it's better to do everything she can and fail, than it is to give up. She also seems to have a hang up about regrets... I wonder if MiMi has regrets, and SooJin has picked up on this?

Anyway, conversation turns to Ruri as ChaeRim points out that Ian has a daughter, but SooJin seems to have decided that Ruri is great and a wonderful plus to a relationship with Ian, not a negative at all. During the conversation, SooJin realizes that Ruri likes to chatter on about things, but that she has never once mentioned friends from school.

SooJin decides to investigate, going to see Ruri right after school, and finds Ruri being bullied. The bullies flee, and SooJin tries to get Ruri to tell her who they are. Ruri refuses to talk, and SooJin seems to understand why she doesn't want her dad to find out.

SooJin comforts Ruri, and determines that the teacher doesn't know either. She asks Ruri what Ruri wants. It's actually a pretty good moment, because SooJin is treating Ruri as her own person who can make decisions.

She and ChaeRim end up recruiting Uncle Mayo and Aunt Yuri to help. (Aunt Yuri is incredibly cool, she might even be cooler than Ian Pi, which I didn't think was possible.)

Aunt Yuri dresses up and goes down to the school to pose as Ruri's aunt who is taking care of her while dad is "busy with work" so that they can block her dad's number. (I guess teachers just assume it's natural for a female to take care of a child and for the father to be too busy to come visit).

Aunt Yuri determines that the bully leader is a girl who is "looking after Yuri" and SooJin comments that she understands now that it's a case of isolation with a group. Mina decided she wanted Ruri in her clique so that the other girls couldn't get her. Mina's clique is "bulletproof" so that no one messes with them (without Mina unleashing fury on the offender), but Mina is free to bully people inside her clique. (I thought it was interesting how girl bullying is depicted, it seems more accurate than usual).

Meanwhile Uncle Mayo (SeoJin) wlks Ruri home so that she can avoid Mina. He also uses his job at the pet shop to lure other elementary school girls to come along with him... "You can play with the doggies."

The purpose is to gather friend candidates for Ruri... I guess SeoJin just has a gentle soul. (It is disturbing however how little different that appears compared to pedophiles - all the more reason to hate pedophiles I guess, for destroying the ability of grown men to be kind and friendly to little girls).

Mina however is rather intelligent, and sees a way to use this to get the teachers to tell Uncle Mayo to back off, and forbid him from coming to walk Ruri home anymore.

Meanwhile ChaeRim is arranging a karaoke outing, but SooJin decides not to come along, as instead she wants to go check up on Ruri. ChaeRim suggests that SooJin really ought to tell Ian about this, because it's a chance to get closer to him. SooJin refuses, explaining that it's important for Ruri to decide for herself when she wants to tell her dad and not have others force it on to her.

SooJin then argues that it's not always best for parents to get involved, that kids need to figure out how to handle this themselves. When parents get involve, things escalate, and then the kid feels guilty for making things worse. SooJin seems to be from the "free range" school of parenting.

More importantly, it shows that SooJin is not doing this to get close to Ian, she's focused on Ruri's best interests instead.

SooJin is walking Ruri home, when Mina's mom ambushes them. Mina has accused Ruri of stealing her hairpin. SooJin leaps in front of Ruri, taking on a Mama Bear attitude to shame a grizzly.

Ian discovers the scene from the shouting, and runs Mina's mom off using cool logic. Turns out he's a lawyer. (A mob lawyer.)

After Mina Mom leaves, Ian turns to Ruri and is upset and confused. He thought Mina was her friend. Also, he's irritated with SooJin for showing up again after he told her not to come back. And angry at his daughter for trusting a stranger she's known a month more than her father.

We get a flashback from Ruri to when she was still living with her mother, showing why she has abandonment issues, and is terrified of disappointing her father. (Also, it shows Ruri can't have lived with her father more than a couple years). Ruri is too terrified to speak.

Frustrated, Ian turns to walk away, and when SooJin tries to go after him to intervene, Ruri grabs her and begs her not to leave her.

SooJin gently touches her hand, and comforts her, promising she'll be right back.

One of the things I love about SooJin's story is the way it depicts touching. SooJin uses touch a lot, and it's very sensual, but without any sexual content (as it's almost always Ruri she's touching). Now that I think about it, MiMi uses touches a lot as well, it makes sense that they are sisters. Touch can be very powerful, and the manhwa does a good job of depicting how powerful it is.

SooJin has a serious talk with Ian about parenting, and how parents cannot expect to know everything about their kids. They actually get in a shouting match, almost like a father and mother arguing about the best way to raise a kid. SooJin tries to explain to Ian the world of girls, and how Ian can't just make it better. Ruri has to find her own place, and Ian can't just make it happen, he has to give her the space to do it herself.

It's really the first time SooJin has ever managed to talk to Ian on an equal level.

Ian tells SooJin not to meddle, but SooJin feels she has too for Ruri's sake. She even tells ChaeRim that she has to help Ruri even if it damages her relationship with Ian. It comes out that SooJin was bullied when she was Ruri's age.

Meanwhile Mina's mom is spreading rumors with the other mothers that Ruri steals things, and they of course tell their daughters.

We learn that Ruri does have Mina's hairpin. Ruri tries to return Mina's hairpin by putting it in her desk at school, but Mina videotapes her with her phone. Giving the information tot he teacher, the teacher then calls Aunt Yuri to come down to the school. But Ruri won't talk, she just curls up in a ball and cries.

So Yuri takes Ruri home, and summons SooJin to talk to her. When Ruri continues to be silent, SooJin opens up about her own experiences of being bullied. She then asks Ruri open questions to guide Ruri to her own decisions instead of imposing her solutions. SooJin is really providing Ruri with the mother figure she so desperately needs.

Yuri has done some PI work on Mina, and between her and the info Ruri gives up we figure out what is going on. Mina has some big problems at home, her father wanted a son, not a daughter, and I guess her mother can't have more children. In response, Mina has been acting up by shoplifting for the thrill it gives her. She was Ruri's friend until Ruri caught her shoplifting.

Mina gave Ruri the hairpin as a bribe to keep quiet, and tried to induct Ruri into her little gang by forcing her to shoplift too. When Ruri refused, Mina started bullying her.

Aunt Yuri develops a plot and brings Ian in to play the intimidation role. A showdown between the parents occur at the teacher's office. Between Ian's interrogation skills and Aunt Yuri's photoshop skills they maneuver Mina into admitting that she gave Ruri the pin.

On the way home, Ian grudgingly thanks SooJin for her help, and they have another good talk about Ruri, and how Ian and Ruri interact. SooJin is definitely providing a feminine view that Ian needs. (Ruri really isn't the tomboy type, she needs a mother really badly.)

Last edited by Sackett; 2016-01-24 at 22:47.
Old 2015-12-17, 07:41   Link #33
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
And it still is at 71.
Just heard from the Translator who is buried in homework, but promises an update by Christmas.

Old 2015-12-25, 22:51   Link #34
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Chapter 72 is posted and out

Tags
female protagonist, manhwa, multiple protagonists, romance, single dad