yeah reply,,, they might look like anime characters. 5 13.16%
oh a mushroom 4 10.53%
I would reply and hope they come here... peacefully 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-09-04, 03:25   Link #21
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Erm, what if...
we send a message, but it falters out before it gets to the "aliens" and we never get a reply, then everyone would just think "oh yeah, it was all a hoax" or wtv. When REALLY, it just never got there o.o *twilight zone music*

this has me a little freaked out seeing it IS 4:30, storming, dark, and I just watched Elfen Lied XD
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 04:04   Link #22
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Erm, what if...
we send a message, but it falters out before it gets to the "aliens" and we never get a reply, then everyone would just think "oh yeah, it was all a hoax" or wtv. When REALLY, it just never got there o.o *twilight zone music*

this has me a little freaked out seeing it IS 4:30, storming, dark, and I just watched Elfen Lied XD
The only way to stop or block a message would be to place a pyshical object in it's path. But then again...

Why should we send them a message, assuming it was a message? If you think about it what are the odds of them, assuming they even exist which is based off the assumption that it is indeed a message (so many assumptions), even being alive to recieve the message. How many species on earth have existed for more than 80,000,000 years? Not many and those that have can barely be considered sentient.

But then again let's work something out...
  1. Assuming the 'signal' took 36 million years to get here travelling at the speed of light, that would mean the 'signal' has been traversing space for 36 million light years.
  2. Given that the approximate distance light/energy can travel in one year is 9,460,000,000,000 km, we can then assume that the 'signal' originated roughly 3.4x10^20 km from Sol (our sun is actually named Sol).
  3. Given that the distance to the nearest galaxy is only 3.78x10^12 km and the distance to the nearest major galaxy is only 6.15x10^12 km, it can be stated that the 'signal' would have had to originate beyond the boundry of the super cluster the Milky Way resides in.
Conclusion: Assuming the above are correct and the nature of space observation applies, even if a reply was possible we would have absolutely no idea which direction to send the message since it's origin is no longer occupying that portion of space.
If you're really hoping for some form of alien contact, put your hopes in to something tangable like the Galileo space craft's disk.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 09:00   Link #23
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
If you're really hoping for some form of alien contact, put your hopes in to something tangable like the Galileo space craft's disk.
Don't you mean Voyager's? But the speed those probes are travelling is way too slow, it will take thousands of years to reach nearby stars and none of them (two voyagers and two pioneers) go near any star, so change of anyone finding those probes is very, VERY small.

And in the next couple of hundreds years we will discover faster ways to travel, if we don't blast ourself into oblivion in the process... In that case those probes are the only evidence that mankind ever existed.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 09:01   Link #24
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
[...]
I thought that was a well-known fact actually. All electromagnetic waveforms travel at the speed of light, including visible light, x-rays, microwaves, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation.

In fact, according to Einstein's general theory of relativity, all things in the universe, both matter and energy, are traveling at the speed of light. Now you may be saying "Woah there," but allow me to explain. Our universe is composed of 4-known dimensions; the 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time. According to Einstein's theory, all energy/matter (which are really one and the same according to E=mc^2) travel thru the universe, thru both space and time, at the speed of light (3x10^8 m/s last time I checked ) and that this is the "universal speed limit". In other words, nothing can ever travel faster. Because light travles thru space at the speed of light, this means that it can not travel thru the time dimension, and thus does not age. If you were to board a spaceship and travel 99.9999% the speed of light for just a few minutes and then come back to Earth, you will find that a LOONNNNGGGG ass time has passed on Earth. Essentially, the faster you travel thru space the slower you travel thru time. So since I'm sitting here typing and not moving, I'm traveling at the speed of light thru time (I'm using the Earth as my frame of reference, so yes I know my velocity is not really zero).

Well sorry for going on a tangent, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sound really smart. I sure know how to get off-topic don't I?
This, I knew. But I didn't know radiosignals we're magnetic-electric signals...

Back to my previous question, are radiosignals sent in a small area, or a wide area?
(Graphic Explanation may be required)

So, my question, is the radiosignal more like #1, or more like #2?
If it's more like #1, then it is more susceptible(sp?) to be reflected (and perhaps distorted) by other planets, right?

(And yeah, proportions are way off, and no, the other planets are on the other side of the sun )
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 09:20   Link #25
Kensuke

Necrodeath: You can send radiosignals in thight beam, and you can send them in all directions, like normal radiobroadcasts.
Usually in space exploration, when ground control communicates with their satellites signals are send in a beam, so it requires less energy as you can focus the beam (like a laser).
Planets and stars stops signals, but they are very small compared to whole sky, except Moon and Sun, but since they move quite quickly out of the way, its not a big problem.
Old 2004-09-04, 13:24   Link #26
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Well sorry for going on a tangent, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sound really smart. I sure know how to get off-topic don't I?
This is what they teach in Grade 11 Physic !!!! XD

According to the Superstring Theory, our universe is composed of 10 dimensions (hyperspace, could also have 11 or 26, but in Modular Function related to SS, 10 keeps on popping up, so....). Three physical dimensions (up/down, left/right, front/backward), one time, and six other all curled inself up to Planck Length (1.616 × 10-35 m) while the 3 dimensions as we know it expanded to fill the remaining space. Therefore the theory state that the 10 dimensions are all around us ^_^ .

I could go on forever with SS but...

Or your could try the Brane Theory but again...

Back to the question. Even if you know which direction (arc) the signle comes from, many factors comes into play when you are talking in millions of light years (where Quantum Theory dim and Relativity Theories comes into play, therefore I will just concentrate on RT).

First if all, mass can cause a bending in space-time fibric (which is why my room is becoming a black hole) and cause the wave to go (relative to us) crooked line. You could try to find every obstacles along the radio's route and try to compensate for the error. But without knowing how far might the signal originated you might as well try to locate a secret alien in the middle of Pacific Ocean.

Second of all the Red Shift (Grade 9 science XD) will affect the signal. You could see the problem here. How do you know the signal is really intended for us little earthlings? The RS will dispoportionate the signal's wavelength long before it reaches earth. For us to understand the signal, the "alien" must send the signal in antipation/calculation that signal will be 'corect' by the RS in order for us to detect it. Now think, if they have the technology to do such a thing, why not just get a god-damn space ship, come to the solar system, and send the signal, for example, from Mars?

PS It almosts make me cry in happiness when I saw Stellvia of the Universe that they got the basic of SS Theory right .

PS 2 YES I know this is nerd to the extreme. sue me for knowing this :X

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2004-09-04 at 13:39.
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 15:35   Link #27
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Dammit, I have lost the battle of the nerds! They really teach that in 11th grade physics? At my old high school we took physics in 12th grade and in the honors class the most advanced topic we come to are particle accelerators. All of the above I had to learn on my own thru reading a book. I just started the next chapter which finally gets into superstring theory
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 15:41   Link #28
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Dammit, I have lost the battle of the nerds! They really teach that in 11th grade physics? At my old high school we took physics in 12th grade and in the honors class the most advanced topic we come to are particle accelerators. All of the above I had to learn on my own thru reading a book. I just started the next chapter which finally gets into superstring theory
If they teach these stuff at HS no one would dare to take Physic XD What I meant was the stuff you said before is being teach in Grade 11. To get to theotical physic you have to spend a few years in uni.

And anyway, this is the basis of all basic of theotical physic ;D
Old 2004-09-04, 16:26   Link #29
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
If they teach these stuff at HS no one would dare to take Physic XD What I meant was the stuff you said before is being teach in Grade 11. To get to theotical physic you have to spend a few years in uni.

And anyway, this is the basis of all basic of theotical physic ;D

Ahhh ok then. You were talking about the electromagnetic spectrum and not Einstein's general and special theories of relativity. Phew, that makes much more sense now. haha, we should start a club for physics nerds!

Nerd lambda: "Gravity!"
Nerd omega: "Quantum Mechanics!"
Nerd E = m*c^2: "Superstrings!"
Nerd F(f) = mu(s,k)*F(n): "Spatial curvature!"
Nerd dF = G*dm(1)*dm(2)/(r^2): "Big Bang!"

"When your powers unite, I am Captain Einstein!!!"
Old 2004-09-04, 17:04   Link #30
SirJeannot
AT Field

as long as i know, we're already replying ...
Old 2004-09-05, 00:34   Link #31
seiftis
~defying fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Although... I have to admit that I *secretly* wish that they would already send their ûber-sexy females crashing down so they could fall in love to the first terran they see. (*Hint* Anime films *Hint*)
LOL. Reminds me of the anime "Onegai Teacher"
Old 2004-09-06, 01:25   Link #32
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Just wondering is the "alien signal" being talked about here the single pulse that was detected for a few seconds back in the 70s, then never seen again, no matter how many times they tried back at the same star?
In any event, it's far more likely that it was some unknown or known, but little understood, natural phenomona that caused it. If we were really getting an alien signal, it would likely be a few short bursts every now and then for a few years, becoming more frequent and stronger until it became a constant flow of alien tv and radio stations. Of course this is assuming an alien civilization is close by, as signals do degrade. It's much more likely we'd get these stray signals than a 'hello' from an alien civilization.
Old 2004-09-06, 01:41   Link #33
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Just wondering is the "alien signal" being talked about here the single pulse that was detected for a few seconds back in the 70s, then never seen again, no matter how many times they tried back at the same star?
No, this is a new signal and is was detected by SETI@Home. You know those screensavers that use computers when nobody else is using them to analyse signals.
Old 2004-09-06, 04:03   Link #34
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Ahhh ok then. You were talking about the electromagnetic spectrum and not Einstein's general and special theories of relativity. Phew, that makes much more sense now. haha, we should start a club for physics nerds!

Nerd lambda: "Gravity!"
Nerd omega: "Quantum Mechanics!"
Nerd E = m*c^2: "Superstrings!"
Nerd F(f) = mu(s,k)*F(n): "Spatial curvature!"
Nerd dF = G*dm(1)*dm(2)/(r^2): "Big Bang!"

"When your powers unite, I am Captain Einstein!!!"
We're the Einsteineers!
And you can be one too!
'Cause learning advanced physics is the thing to do!
Language Arts and sociology is not the way!
Here's what Captain Einstein has to say: Quantum Theory is yours!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 01:16   Link #35
Kyosumaru

:/ No thank you, what if they come and decide to destory my anime >=( But by then I would probably hope into some kind of Gaint goverment controlled Mech and beat up the aliens , oh and get my anime of course, thus problem solved.
Kyosumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 02:38   Link #36
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Dudez, we needz the alienz to come so that the nationz of the world will build the giant mechs that are our only chance against them. And of course everyone knows that anyone that's 16 or older can't pilot a mech because (insert bullshit nonsense here) meaning that all those anime watching kids can finally achieve their dreams!!! If you are not going to do it for the aliens, and you are not going to do it for the mechs, at least do it for their dreams!!!!

Old 2004-09-09, 06:53   Link #37
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Sending any RF (radio-frequency)-based signal to space is like throwing a piece of rock into the ocean, no one will ever find it.

IMO, the only way to signal across galaxies would be the use of simultaneous supernovas, and if an alien civilization was that advanced enough, they'd have done it.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote