AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-06-07, 21:07   Link #1
Metropolisforever

"One-Shot" Fansub Groups

It seems like some fansubbers only work on one release and are never seen again. 135-!, for example, did an episode (the first one, to be exact) of Sazae-san and haven't been seen since. Can you think of any more groups that only existed for one shot?
Metropolisforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 21:31   Link #2
jagass

I'm still thinking...
jagass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 23:33   Link #3
pichu
*Fansubber

a couple of my groups

pichu - for pokemon movie 8
ftw - for IdolM@STER Xenoglossia 1 and 2.

It's fun to make a group just to start a project, and then make more groups for other projects, no?
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 03:57   Link #4
ASR1FanSubs
Feeling Big in Your Chair

Send a message via ICQ to ASR1FanSubs
I dont know some at the top of my head but I DO however seen names which I tried google ing and never found any intel about.

I really dont know why they do it. they might as well not even say their name...........

a ghost group

nah sounds like a stupid idea.

Oh well, Still keeps us wondering
ASR1FanSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:06   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
there are enough groups like these somehow they always carry the series's name in their fansub name, quite a silly idea indeed many of these groups cease to exist when the series haven't even finished yet
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:36   Link #6
denice25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagass View Post
I'm still thinking...
do you already have an idea??
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 08:15   Link #7
BASS in SPACE

Koi only subbed Air did they not? I'm not sure you'd count them as a "one shot" fansub group though, since they did finish the series. I was very happy with their subtitles, but heck, I don't fansub and have very limited knowledge of Japanese, so my knowledge on the subject is limited.
BASS in SPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 09:19   Link #8
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Oneshot groups tend to irk me, because I go by "brand name recognition" to an extent, and like downloading releases by groups who have proven themselves to produce reliable, consistent quality. However in some cases there really isn't any options, or I read that X group has done a great release, so I get theirs.

But, I'm fussy about things like softsubs and chapters, so groups that always use them get my preference over others. With one-shot groups you never really know what you're going to get to begin with; so if a series has no 'good' groups releasing it, I'll wait until it's over then read up on which groups did the entire thing (mix and matching sucks) and work out which is best of available options.

I can see why it happens in some cases, though. Bunch of people from different groups want a good release of some show, so they get together, do it, then disband once the series is over. That sort of thing I'm fine with. Random ones only doing an episode or two fail, though.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 13:28   Link #9
AceD
See You En' Tee

alot of the time, ''One shot groups'' appear because there main group have been sent a C&D, so to continue they use a new name for that show
Old 2009-06-18, 09:12   Link #10
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

True, but the majority are formed just to do one show that a bunch of people from different groups want to do but their home group is not doing it. From what I've noticed, most the groups formed to do licensed while hiding who they are or groups dodging C&D do more than one with that group name. A lot of older groups started with the purpose of doing a certain show and just kept going. I don't know if that is the case still, but I would assume that it still happens.

On the topic of the groups being named after the show, I think a lot of times it is because the staff don't feel like bothering with an inventive name and when they are all from different groups it is easiest to just use something that is a middle ground or unrelated to any one persons group. At least that is what I remember from one-shot groups I was involved with.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 11:21   Link #11
kramerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
alot of the time, ''One shot groups'' appear because there main group have been sent a C&D, so to continue they use a new name for that show
I figured that. Gee, I wonder who "C&D" is and why they picked up Death Note at the 2nd to last episode :P

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote