AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-04, 15:35   Link #3081
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Yeah, I can see that being the case. It's just a bit hard to believe DB Kai is getting cut short for financial reasons of all things though, especially given the high ratings. The corporate suits must really believe this Toriko will be the next big thing if they're willing to part with a known steady racehorse. You don't really see businesses taking that kind of risk, especially in these economic times, unless it's a surer bet than it seems.

And is DBZ really that unappealing to the younger audience? Yeah, I know it came out ages ago, but the core principles should still hold in this day. It's not that far removed from other contemporary shounen anime, imo. Does anyone have stats or ratings on the demographics to actually back this up?
DBZ Kai is doing extremely well on Nicktoons right now. Both older and new viewers are watching it. If there's enough demand, perhaps Funimation can persuade Toei Animation to give the Buu saga the Kai treatment. There was a similar situation to this with a series called Kinnikuman Nisei (known as Ultimate Muscle in North America). Kinnikuman Nisei wasn't received too well in Japan, and thus they canceled the show after 1 season (51 episodes). However, in North America, it did surprisingly well despite it being dubbed by the infamous 4Kids. As a result, 4Kids requested that Toei produce a second season just for the dub. The negotiations worked out and the dub received another 26 episodes.
Old 2011-03-04, 19:53   Link #3082
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
DBZ Kai is doing extremely well on Nicktoons right now. Both older and new viewers are watching it. If there's enough demand, perhaps Funimation can persuade Toei Animation to give the Buu saga the Kai treatment. There was a similar situation to this with a series called Kinnikuman Nisei (known as Ultimate Muscle in North America). Kinnikuman Nisei wasn't received too well in Japan, and thus they canceled the show after 1 season (51 episodes). However, in North America, it did surprisingly well despite it being dubbed by the infamous 4Kids. As a result, 4Kids requested that Toei produce a second season just for the dub. The negotiations worked out and the dub received another 26 episodes.
You know, FUNimation could easely make a new cut of DBZ themselves. It is not like what Toei has been doing is hard.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 20:33   Link #3083
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
That would mean that North America buyers could decide the fate of a series for a change. That's interesting and I wouldn't mind something like that happening again.
Old 2011-03-04, 23:01   Link #3084
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
You know, FUNimation could easely make a new cut of DBZ themselves. It is not like what Toei has been doing is hard.
agreed on this one
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 00:27   Link #3085
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Kinda weird how our young relatives can appreciate the greatness of DB but it seems like the new generation of Japanese can't (corresponding to Blackbeard's statement that only older fans watch it in Japan)? Wonder why that is? The timeslot? I feel like Dragonball has a pretty timeless appeal, especially for young boys.
Well to the Japanese, DBZ might be like The Simpsons is here...They've just had enough of it, like I can't watch Bart & company at gunpoint when I used to love that show...Like the Simpsons, DBZ wasn't just a show, it was a decade long cultural phenomenon...

Western TV is just more amiable for something like DBZ Kai, especially for a martial art, Power-Ranger obsessed kid like my nephew..
Quote:

Lol, same with my 7 year old brother. I still got all the old Z tapes too so he'll have to deal with that.
My sis and my nephew live with me and my girlfriend right now and it has been a great joy to watch DBZ through his eyes and how hype he gets while watching it...I show him all the japanese eps and he gets to tell his friends at school he's so way ahead of them...

The only downside is that his favorite character is somehow still Yamacha ( LOL), he vows he will dress up as Yamcha for Halloween, eventhough I've pleaded with him that Yamcha is gonna get wak soon...He just loves the wolf-fang fist attack from his DS Game so it is what it is^^...I did recently show him Cell vs. Gohan2 and after Gohan beat the Cell Juniors (which he calls "Baby-cells), he sheepishly turned toward me and said, "Um, I'm gonna be Gohan" ...
Old 2011-03-05, 19:37   Link #3086
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

95 was pretty great, as expected from the material they had to work with. Actually nothing felt lost in the cut, so I thought they did a good job.

Spoiler for Ep 95 highlights and 96:

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, they kept in the plothole about Cell's nucleus being inside his head, so the wild theories will continue!
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 19:38   Link #3087
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

What about the music for THAT SCENE?
Old 2011-03-05, 20:55   Link #3088
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Oh and in case anyone was wondering, they kept in the plothole about Cell's nucleus being inside his head, so the wild theories will continue!
Did he actually say as much this time, or just tap his head? Because if he's just tapping, it doesn't really create a plothole.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 21:13   Link #3089
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Did he actually say as much this time, or just tap his head? Because if he's just tapping, it doesn't really create a plothole.
He says it the same as it is in the manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What about the music for THAT SCENE?
Spoiler for Music:
Old 2011-03-06, 04:19   Link #3090
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Now that I think about it, didn't the FUNi-dub alter that scene to say that, rather than having one single core that needed to be destroyed, he could instead recover from any one cell, meaning that the only way to kill him was to have him, as the Anti-Spiral from TTGL would say, UTTERLY ANNIHILATED, DOWN TO THE VERY LAST SCRAP OF DNA!!!
Because I must say, that's probably one of the exceedingly rare cases where I actually like a change the FUNi-dub did. It certainly made more sense like that, and I almost find it weird that Toriyama didn't think of that himself.
Old 2011-03-06, 06:13   Link #3091
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

(From the Funi-dub) I remember Cell saying that unbeknownst to him once his body had tasted the power of his perfect form, it was only natural that he'd regenerate back to that state...
Old 2011-03-06, 09:22   Link #3092
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
(From the Funi-dub) I remember Cell saying that unbeknownst to him once his body had tasted the power of his perfect form, it was only natural that he'd regenerate back to that state...
Though that part was yet another dumbed down dub plot-change, which completely misses the real point of why Cell is so deadly:

Being a Saiyajin himself (thanks to being Goku and Vegeta's "brother"), he WILL experience an exponential boost in power if he is revived from "the brink of death."

Now, Saiyjajin or not, being reduced to a brain would kill most people; THIS Is where being related to Piccolo becomes a crucial factor in Cell's veritable Godhood; being also a Namekjin he WILL recover from the brink of death as long as there is enough of him around to do so.

If the Super-Saiyajin Level 2 Cell who fought Son Gohan had (somehow) survived fighting Majin Buu, for example, and regenerated, he WILL most likely jump straight to Super Saiyajin Level 3.

So whether or not he "tasted the spring of upper level power" or not, Cell will ALWAYS be dangerous, as he WILL become stronger again in the (highly unlikely) scenario he finds someone stronger than he and Son Gohan is.
Old 2011-03-06, 10:29   Link #3093
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Though that part was yet another dumbed down dub plot-change, which completely misses the real point of why Cell is so deadly:
That's not what wingdarkness was talking about at all. He was talking about why Cell regenerated to his Perfect form, rather than his Semi-Perfect form. Other than his cells remembering that form, there's no logical reason as to why he'd go to that form, which previously required the absorption of Android 18.
Old 2011-03-06, 10:46   Link #3094
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Bear in mind that the Perfect Body is what Cell is designed from day one by Doctor Gero to become, not a random occurance of happenstance. The evil bastard probably even drew what his ultimate creation's form would look like on a blueprint in white ink much like he did with 17 and 18!!

The Perfect Body, much like all the transformations in Dragonball Z, is not so much a change in physiology as a change in power. It is safe to assume that even if Cell never absorbed 18 at all in the first place and survived a similar cataclysmic suicide, the sheer power he gains would alter his pysiology to the Perfect Body anyway....

...shiver.
Old 2011-03-06, 11:00   Link #3095
GDB

There's nothing to suggest that would be the case. If he changed form based on power, then SSJ2 Cell should look different as well. And he would've been able to eventually become Semi-Perfect just from absorbing random people. Going by how much his power level grew from his first fight against Piccolo to when he fought A16/A17, he probably could have obtained more than enough just from random people. So why did he want to absorb the Androids so desperately? Because he needed to, that was required of his design.

The form itself was likely set in stone, but the requirement to get there shouldn't be power based.

Oh, and let's no forget that going from Semi-Perfect, which is below Ascended Saiyan, to Super Perfect, which is on-par with SSJ2, is too ridiculous a zenkai to not have some other factor coming into play.
Old 2011-03-06, 12:28   Link #3096
xellos2099

Yes, I got a weird feeling this would happen when I heard Toriko will take kai time slot a few months ago. I want to see Buu saga as kai as well but I guess I am pretty excited for Toriko anime as well. How many YEARS as it been there is anime about food and adventure in general? It should be popular as long as it got good animation unlike the special ova back.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 12:38   Link #3097
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Did Gohan get that awesome Japanese song when he powered up to SSJ2 in KAI?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 12:40   Link #3098
GDB

Tamashii tai Tamashii? No. He got a new one that sounded almost like ominous latin chanting.
Old 2011-03-06, 13:34   Link #3099
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Does anyone have stats or ratings on the demographics to actually back this up?
Kind of late here but here are just some ratings from February:

1. Sazae-san - 23.2%
2. Chibi Maruko-chan 16.0%
3. One Piece 12.0%
4. Detective Conan 10.4%
5. Dragonball Kai 10.1%
7. Doraemon 9.5%
8. Pokemon Diamond 7.1%

Source.
From ratings alone the show is doing very well. From what I've read on Japanese blogs, this show was originally advertised on commercials as a two-year run. It's pretty common knowledge around these parts that companies enter broadcast contracts for a fixed term, and no matter the ratings, those contracts don't tend to get broken in Japan.
Old 2011-03-06, 14:06   Link #3100
GDB

Quote:
Source.
From ratings alone the show is doing very well. From what I've read on Japanese blogs, this show was originally advertised on commercials as a two-year run. It's pretty common knowledge around these parts that companies enter broadcast contracts for a fixed term, and no matter the ratings, those contracts don't tend to get broken in Japan.
Which would back up the whole "intended to end at Cell" idea.