AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 25 20.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 31.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 19.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 18.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-18, 16:43   Link #141
FortMan

On the side note: Anyone know what is Nodoka's present? I can't make out the second kanji, so couldn't look it up.
Old 2009-05-18, 17:32   Link #142
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Yui and Ui are so cute!

hey, does anyone else thinkg that when Mio where's her Kimono she looks like Litchi from that fighting game blazblue? http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-...rtwork-big.jpg

I know it's a pretty standard design but still, lol. Maybe I'm just excited for when it comes out!
Old 2009-05-18, 18:30   Link #143
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Azumanga Daioh had 3 years of similar material timeline wise in the anime. Strawberry Marshmallow does similar material too. It's not like this is a new concept.
The difference is that Azumanga had an incredible clarity which K-On lacks. Every character, every school event, was delineated so precisely that it leapt out of the screen at you. If you compare the Xmas/New Year episodes of the two shows, they are, well, incomparable. Azumanga got enormous mileage out of stuff like new year (also cultural festivals, etc.) whereas I feel K-On lets them slip through its fingers.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2009-05-18, 20:05   Link #144
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
That would be in the Musical instruments discussion. That model's been discontinued though, someone mentioned.
Figured that out like hours ago, I wish someone would just sell me one.
Old 2009-05-18, 20:14   Link #145
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well and K-On is not focusing on the school events and other traditional activities unless it directly involves them having to play.

Also the type of cast. While there are three secondary characters at present, and four mains, the interactions of the groups are not like Azumanga because pretty much that group was all based on the girls in one class. Most of them were not even in a club.

Also Yui is not quite a replacement for "Osaka"....there is no replacement for that sort of thinking.

But it is not meant to be like Azumanga, because the "plot", such as it is, revolves around their music club rather than their lives in class. Thus they can't do half of those other normal activites as a focus, because it has little to do with them as a club.

Mio is in the half Sakaki/half Yomi role.

Riitsu is in the Tomo role to Mio's Yomi. She's just slightly more intelligent than Tomo, and doesn't spend all her energy trying to piss people off.

Yui is in an "Osaka" like role, but also in some respects she's the Chiyo-chan role, as she's the one we tend to see things through.

Mugi's role doesn't fit any of the types specifically. She's got the rich part that Chiyo-chan had, and she seems to have Koari's yuri vision. But outside that she's not quite like any Azumanga character.

Sawako is in several respects like the Azumanga teachers Yukari and Nyamo mixed a bit.

The remainder don't really fit any Azumanga types. So it is best to just think of K-On as K-On.
Old 2009-05-18, 20:23   Link #146
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

So it is best to just think of K-On as every other show like it that came before it.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-05-18, 20:32   Link #147
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well and K-On is not focusing on the school events and other traditional activities unless it directly involves them having to play.

Also the type of cast. While there are three secondary characters at present, and four mains, the interactions of the groups are not like Azumanga because pretty much that group was all based on the girls in one class. Most of them were not even in a club.

Also Yui is not quite a replacement for "Osaka"....there is no replacement for that sort of thinking.

But it is not meant to be like Azumanga, because the "plot", such as it is, revolves around their music club rather than their lives in class. Thus they can't do half of those other normal activites as a focus, because it has little to do with them as a club.

Mio is in the half Sakaki/half Yomi role.

Riitsu is in the Tomo role to Mio's Yomi. She's just slightly more intelligent than Tomo, and doesn't spend all her energy trying to piss people off.

Yui is in an "Osaka" like role, but also in some respects she's the Chiyo-chan role, as she's the one we tend to see things through.

Mugi's role doesn't fit any of the types specifically. She's got the rich part that Chiyo-chan had, and she seems to have Koari's yuri vision. But outside that she's not quite like any Azumanga character.

Sawako is in several respects like the Azumanga teachers Yukari and Nyamo mixed a bit.

The remainder don't really fit any Azumanga types. So it is best to just think of K-On as K-On.
I always had the implication that it was a musical-centered show that took place in a high-school area. (After all, music is considered the universal language). But then again, the high-school setting scenario with these cute girls is also provided for a fan service base.
Old 2009-05-18, 20:35   Link #148
Kyourin
garbage collector

someone needs to calibrate his/her POV to appreciate this anime ^^
Old 2009-05-18, 23:18   Link #149
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

When you see a band onstage, as a fan or even casual follower, you tend to build up a persona for the members of that band in your mind. The smart one, the sexy one, the one that writes the songs, the one that's goofy or a cut-up... Take any band out there and there are a whole host of assumptions as to who they are and what they are like. And then there is the persona that the music company is telling you those band members have, and the persona that the PR person says that band member has....

If the band started in your school as a garage band or a club group, as a member of their class, you have a different idea of who those band members are... All these perspectives and yet, none of them may be true. None of them are based in facts, but perhaps instead in their physical appearance onstage or the lyrics of their songs.

To me, K-on is attempting to show us who these band members really are. Their foibles, their peccadillos, their drivers... and how as a band, they form into a kind of family unit. And how that family functions. All that matters is how they behave and who they are within the context of being in the band. All else: classes, parents, outside friends, (save the few who have dealings with the band) seasons, holidays and yes, even the events they attend to play are all fluff... outside distractions which draw you OUTSIDE of the family circle of what happens to create a band and who are the members within the context of that close knit group. To that end, I think K-on is doing a decent and fine job of showing me how this group of girls came together, learned to rely on each other and treated each other as a band when NOT performing. In other words, this is a story about who the members of a band really are when they are JUST themselves.

Expecting this to be about the music, or the performances, or the school lives and loves or anything else that so many other shows are is to miss the point. When you look for those things you miss what is right in front of you. A story of a journey and getting to know the real people who are on that journey. Once we get to their goal, the people we recognize them as, genuinely, will be different from who their audience thinks they are. Its "Behind the Music" as it happens. A real fun concept for a show.

I'm enjoying it because I see it for what it is. A slice of life comedy with no higher aspirations that to just show how extraordinary girls are really not anything special at all... just girls in an extraordinary setting. I like it!
Old 2009-05-19, 00:46   Link #150
Kyourin
garbage collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
To me, K-on is attempting to show us who these band members really are. Their foibles, their peccadillos, their drivers... and how as a band, they form into a kind of family unit.
very well said ^^
Old 2009-05-19, 01:21   Link #151
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
When you see a band onstage, as a fan or even casual follower, you tend to build up a persona for the members of that band in your mind. The smart one, the sexy one, the one that writes the songs, the one that's goofy or a cut-up... Take any band out there and there are a whole host of assumptions as to who they are and what they are like. And then there is the persona that the music company is telling you those band members have, and the persona that the PR person says that band member has....

If the band started in your school as a garage band or a club group, as a member of their class, you have a different idea of who those band members are... All these perspectives and yet, none of them may be true. None of them are based in facts, but perhaps instead in their physical appearance onstage or the lyrics of their songs.

To me, K-on is attempting to show us who these band members really are. Their foibles, their peccadillos, their drivers... and how as a band, they form into a kind of family unit. And how that family functions. All that matters is how they behave and who they are within the context of being in the band. All else: classes, parents, outside friends, (save the few who have dealings with the band) seasons, holidays and yes, even the events they attend to play are all fluff... outside distractions which draw you OUTSIDE of the family circle of what happens to create a band and who are the members within the context of that close knit group. To that end, I think K-on is doing a decent and fine job of showing me how this group of girls came together, learned to rely on each other and treated each other as a band when NOT performing. In other words, this is a story about who the members of a band really are when they are JUST themselves.

Expecting this to be about the music, or the performances, or the school lives and loves or anything else that so many other shows are is to miss the point. When you look for those things you miss what is right in front of you. A story of a journey and getting to know the real people who are on that journey. Once we get to their goal, the people we recognize them as, genuinely, will be different from who their audience thinks they are. Its "Behind the Music" as it happens. A real fun concept for a show.

I'm enjoying it because I see it for what it is. A slice of life comedy with no higher aspirations that to just show how extraordinary girls are really not anything special at all... just girls in an extraordinary setting. I like it!
You're telling me that I'm in the wrong to expect a show about girls who create a band, are part of the 'light music club', and even go 'training' to practice for their first performance, to actually have music of some sort?

Their 'lives' are incredibly dull, cliche, overdone, and unoriginal.

The MUSIC is the only part of this show that's actually creative and brimming with potential, the concert is irrefutable proof of that. Hell, the manner in which the show even handled the concert is further proof of originality. Everyone in this subforum was expecting some sort of performance, and instead we got an unexpected mininature music video. That's good! It's different! Let's go with that!

Naaah, let's go down the checklist and mark off what other shows have done and go with that. I mean for fuck sake they couldn't just end the concert normally, they had to have the girl fall on her ass for the prerequisite panty gag.

There's more fanart of Mio in a maid's outfit that was on screen for 4 seconds then is of any of them playing any bloody instruments.

Gimme a break.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-05-19, 02:11   Link #152
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
OH OH OH, I get it now...

Let's have every episode be all about music and the light music club band playing their songs, and wait for people to then complain about the repetitiveness about being a one-tracked series that's just about music without the practical dynamics of anything else; Sacrifice character development to drive this concept home...

Let's even follow through that with the real life experience: Go out and buy a guitar, lock yourself in your room for hours on end playing it, don't have any outside social contact or engage in non-guitar-essential activities, short of being with your band for practice or a gig...See how much your life will tend to SUCK after you do that for a couple days on end...

Let's all form a band, have fun playing together, and just SHOOT OURSELVES IN THE FOOT whenever we decide to have some outside fun when we're not together as a band...

Or if we don't feel like doing that, let's pop in a documentary on a band and watch that; Maybe something like Metallica's "Cliff 'Em All", and be all ecstatic during the concert performances and then THROW SHITFITS whenever they show Metallica doing something not related to a concert, such as drinking beer, bullshitting, and having non-musical fun...

Holy Hell! K-On! is something I would not have otherwise watched but I still do anyway because it's the musical aspect that has drawn me into it...While it's not all music as I thought it would be, I would find it pretty repetitive if it were just music, actually taking the moment to enjoy in the mindless banter of non-music entertainment, and yet, it still has music as a recurring theme...Who the fuck said this show was going to be nothing but music anyway? There are too many detractors and not enough watchers; There is nothing wrong with opinions, as everyone's entitled to hold one, but it probably becomes illogical when you can spot every flaw in the show and seemingly have not one thing positive to say about anything...

ANYWAY...

I actually kind of enjoyed this episode for it's light-heartedness...If it weren't for Ui, I probably wouldn't even feel sorry for Yui...As a matter of fact, I'm really liking Ui as a better character than Yui now... She acts like the older sister even though she's the younger sister; It must be tough going through the day-in/day-out as Ui living with Yui...

I still don't know what to think of Tsumugi...Does she rent her house out for parties, or what? Does she really have that much money and property to throw around? Probably; If she turns down a trip to Hawaii for a board game...She could probably take the entire band to Hawaii at her own expense anyway...And it's almost sad that she's the only one having fun during Sawako's screwed-up process of gift exchange...

Speaking of Sawako...I don't know what to think of her anymore...Not only does she manage to forcefully wedge herself into the middle of a party without regard to the party mood, or rape Mio of her clothes as if it were a normal daily action as putting underwear on, but what the hell was with that "maple leaf" stunt? I almost died on the inside from that... >_<

And Mio had two keypoints that struck with me; She retaliated with force when Ritsu tried to push her wits with the scary-themed gifts, and she looked criminal with the New Year's kimono get-up and ponytail...How many alternative hairstyles does Mio look good in? All of them, that's how many...

Next week looks like the light music club is trying to make way for new club recruits...Even though I already read the manga, I'd like to see how Kyo-Ani manages to display the embarrassing outward example the band puts out for the visitors...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-19, 02:12   Link #153
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post

I can only question, not disagree, with why he keeps watching when he could spend that time watching something he actually enjoys. Apparently he's a very masochistic individual.

Maybe I'm just trying to hard to throw my personality and beliefs onto everyone else here, and I'm the real bad guy.
While I do admit I have masochistic tendencies (this applies to my hobbies in a different way then what most would imagine though....or perhaps not if they know about.....that fetish ), as I stated before, I'm watching K-On and a few other series to get a mix of different types of shows this season. It can't all just be mecha, sci-fi and shows with social commentary, mystery and politicking between characters and factions. Sometimes I just need something I can watch that I look at as a little less high maintenance.

And to address your ponderings, I am of course watching series that I typically enjoy this season and juggling my time between them and shows like K-On. And despite what I felt was a poor showing for K-On this week I still can't say I have any desire or reason to drop it yet. After all there's always at least one episode of any given show where even I am typically posting rave reactions and ratings for almost every other episode, that one episode just will end up not sitting well with me for some reason(s). Yes even the likes of Gundam, Geass and Macross F, which I am usually seen as being strictly in the corner of had their episodes that I would look upon even less favourably then this one.

Just for the record my criteria for even considering dropping a show beyond the halfway point is something like 3 episodes in a row that I would score below a 6 numerically.
Old 2009-05-19, 02:22   Link #154
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

There's more fanart of Mio in a maid's outfit that was on screen for 4 seconds than any of them playing any bloody instruments.

Gimme a break.
This should be a major clue to what facet of the show appeals more to most of the audience.

There's a touch of music and playing instruments here and there (if it serves the context for humor and moe) but it's always been more about the "mundane interactions" between 4 high school girls.

You can critique a show for not going the way you expected it to be but it's rather far-fatched to expect this proportion to change in the remaining episodes.

----
This episode was not particulary entertaining for me but that just goes for most Christmas episodes I've watched in other titles. Yui and Ritsu's dynamic continues to grow on me.
Old 2009-05-19, 02:28   Link #155
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Fanart probably says more about the audience than it does the show, though...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-19, 07:04   Link #156
Justin Kim
*Artist

I know that Mugi was a direct metaphor of Yamaha's company CEO, I wonder about the rest though. Where did there designs/inspirations come from to make this show? I love how wonderfully colored/designed the show is.
Old 2009-05-19, 09:18   Link #157
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
I still don't know what to think of Tsumugi...Does she rent her house out for parties, or what? Does she really have that much money and property to throw around?
Her father is probably using the space for gatherings of the upper class and other functions.

Quote:
but what the hell was with that "maple leaf" stunt? I almost died on the inside from that... >_<
I LOL'ed at that, personally I filed it under "new party tricks" at the back of my brain. Gotta try it some day.
Old 2009-05-19, 09:22   Link #158
stubby42

Spoiler for slight hint at the next few episodes:
Old 2009-05-19, 10:19   Link #159
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
This should be a major clue to what facet of the show appeals more to most of the audience.

There's a touch of music and playing instruments here and there (if it serves the context for humor and moe) but it's always been more about the "mundane interactions" between 4 high school girls.

You can critique a show for not going the way you expected it to be but it's rather far-fatched to expect this proportion to change in the remaining episodes.
Yeah, if it is trying to execute the slice of life genre, it has clearly failed in my eyes.

Quote:
Spoiler for For length:
Look, I wish some people wold read and understand the posts of some of the viewers instead of just constructing strawman arguments.

No of course a show cannot just focus on what you pointed out. I never expected that. However, I did think music would overall have a strong influence on the show's premise and it is clearly lacking in that regard.
Old 2009-05-19, 10:29   Link #160
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Look, I wish some people wold read and understand the posts of some of the viewers instead of just constructing strawman arguments.

No of course a show cannot just focus on what you pointed out. I never expected that. However, I did think music would overall have a strong influence on the show's premise and it is clearly lacking in that regard.
And, you have just sat through 7 episodes that prove otherwise. I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of "taking a hint" here.
Closed Thread