AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-03, 11:33   Link #321
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
slightly different? just in how their drawn? or how they act?
and were speaking of the 4 panel comic strip thing here I assume?
Well...a little bit of both. Some say that KyoAni emphasized the possible "moe" in the anime to get a larger following (in how they act). Also, there are bound to be artistic differences in every adaptation. I've only personally read a few of the 4koma, though.
Old 2008-03-03, 15:18   Link #322
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
well at least it's not chock full of fan-service tho :-D, i see way to much of that in R+V ahhaah
yeah the characters look a lil diff...but not enough to push me away tho
Old 2008-03-03, 21:07   Link #323
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The art style in the 4-koma themselves have changed over the 5 volumes released, much like any comic artist kind of evolves his style over time.

The strips themselves are purely verbal humor -- the characterizations and personalities are pretty much the same as the anime. But they really are slice-o-life humor chopped into 4 panel gags.

The chapter titlepage art and random sidepage art has a lot of cuteness and some variety in the way characters are drawn (some of the pages even present a character in the various styles over time in several frames as well as the anime-style version).

If I can scan a few without damaging the books, I'll post them in the Image thread tonight.
Old 2008-03-03, 23:10   Link #324
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
alrighty cool thx man. do that if u dont mind
Old 2008-03-29, 08:55   Link #325
Dee Eon

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2265/...31c20e.jpg?v=0

Can anyone translate this sign that was featured in a flash in the New Years shrine festival ep?
Thanks!

Dee
Authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??" and "Kanata's Dream" and PPGZ's "Blueberry" and "Bunny Z"
Old 2008-03-29, 09:20   Link #326
Rembr

How to use water.

Wash your left hand.

Wash your right hand.

Receive water with your left hand and wash your mouth.
Old 2008-03-30, 03:16   Link #327
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its an explanation of how to engage the Shinto ritual properly and is what Rembr says.
(I haven't forgotten about the examples 4-koma scans.... just have been very busy and sick or wife sick or... well, RL wins again. Perhaps Monday in the manga thread?)
Old 2008-04-04, 04:08   Link #328
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its an explanation of how to engage the Shinto ritual properly and is what Rembr says.
(I haven't forgotten about the examples 4-koma scans.... just have been very busy and sick or wife sick or... well, RL wins again. Perhaps Monday in the manga thread?)
Hi!

Thanks for that cultural education (such a long road to go!), and looking forward to the scans! Thanks!

Dee
Authoress of "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream", "Kanata Thawed", "Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", and PPGZ's "Blueberry" and "Bunny Z"
Old 2008-04-06, 02:32   Link #329
Digital Rain

Not sure if this has been asked, but is there any significance to the gesture Konata makes with her arms during the pictures on the OP (about 55 seconds in)? It kind of looks like a + sign.
Old 2008-04-06, 19:57   Link #330
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rain View Post
Not sure if this has been asked, but is there any significance to the gesture Konata makes with her arms during the pictures on the OP (about 55 seconds in)? It kind of looks like a + sign.
Yes. That's the gesture used by Ultraman when he fires his Specium Ray.

Old 2008-04-20, 11:04   Link #331
Dee Eon

Hi!

Hiyori Tamura's one of my top three L*S faves so I'd really appreciate anyone translating the dialogue here!

http://www.raki-suta.com/img/src/1196646892372.jpg

and the small print Japanese lettering all over the cover here:

http://benippon.com/shop/i/4044712034.jpg

Thanks!

Dee

Last edited by Dee Eon; 2008-04-22 at 19:09. Reason: updating
Old 2008-05-17, 14:21   Link #332
Dee Eon

Please translate Ryōō Gakuen Ōtōsai clipping!

Hi!

Can anyone translate this clipping from Ryōō Gakuen Ōtōsai?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/...550287e9_o.jpg

Thanks!

Dee
Old 2008-05-21, 09:46   Link #333
Dee Eon

Lucky☆Star Trivia Question

Hi!

(I'm placing this question here because I can't find a Lucky☆Star Trivia Topic and if I missed it I'm sorry and will erase this!)

Need to know what the girls are talking about in the "blood-type shushi" episode when one of them says "It's so cute!" and Konata says "but it's claws are poisonous!" or some such!

Also two "train" questions from unknown eps: What's the significance of Konata hastily and sheepishly pulling up her sliding yamaka's sleeve while standing up on the train, and also on a train Konata sleepily sits next to and slumps against Tommy Lee Jones! Awesome! Does any one notice this?

Thanks!

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and soon sneak preview of "The Yamato Effect" on ff.net
Old 2008-05-21, 16:55   Link #334
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If I recall, they were visiting an actual website where one's personality can be tagged to a sushi dish like the blood-type mythology Japanese love so much.
I've no clue what kind of exotic sushi had poisonous claws but if you browse the episode thread, I vaguely recall someone discussing it there.

The Tommy Lee cameo was also noted in the associated episode thread -- he was the spokesperson for a sequence of commercials in Japan at the time. If you've seen Bill Murray's movie "Lost in Translation" (whisky spokesman), it parodied that sort of thing. And in real-life a sequence of drink commercials featuring Governor Arnold S. screaming at you from inside a bottle can be found on youtube.

Don't remember the sleeve incident at the moment to comment.

No, this is a fine spot for these sorts of questions as long as they're bundled up like that. But unlike a lot of anime threads here -- the episode threads actually have a fair amount of cultural reference, gag explanation, or trivia bits stocked up in them.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-05-21 at 17:20.
Old 2008-05-23, 19:30   Link #335
Dee Eon

Hi Vexx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If I recall, they were visiting an actual website where one's personality can be tagged to a sushi dish like the blood-type mythology Japanese love so much... I've no clue what kind of exotic sushi had poisonous claws but if you browse the episode thread, I vaguely recall someone discussing it there.
My error: Been advised that it was in ep 9 that were in a library discussing this mysterious cute poisonously clawed whatever it is – but it wasn't a sushi thing (Thank God?), which was a later separate fortune-telling gag. So, Wiki fails at cute poisonously-clawed things!

Quote:
The Tommy Lee cameo was also noted in the associated episode thread...
Thanks for that info! Been told Tommy was in ep 11. MangaShare also says Soujirou and Kanata make "flash" teaser background cameos in the Comiket ep. Must be AWFULLY brief because I sure wouldn't miss my 2nd fave heroine on the first pass! (Gotta get out of catching up eps via YouTube!).

Quote:
Don't remember the sleeve incident at the moment to comment.
Okay, been advised that this was in episode 20. Still don't know significance of Konata hastily pulling up her slipping yamaka sleeve while straphanging on a train – but you know there MUST be! I can understand the fanning-up-her-skirt-in-Jap-train thing, but not this thingie.

Quote:
the episode threads actually have a fair amount of cultural reference, gag explanation, or trivia bits stocked up in them.
Yes, there're juicy golden nuggets of info scattered in every which topic it seems; wish there was a way to sweep it all up into one place! Though extremely useful and informative, it looks like the main Lucky☆Star References List here is long in suspended animation; Tommy's not in there or the computer sushi blood-type gags and such, and eps 22 and 24 are AWOL despite lots of ready references off-stage in the Cultural References in Lucky Star topic. You know, someone here can making a killing by throwing all those references onto a CD as a companion to the English Lucky☆Star DVDs coming out! Gee, when is America gonna ship out cartoons stuffed with mysterious, inscrutable and obscure Americana to befuddle Japanese with??

Anyway, anyone: Does Miyuki ever do a sleep-over (anime or manga)? And on Konata's birthday did we ever find out the gifts she was given (and properly hocked!)

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and soon sneak preview of "The Yamato Effect" on ff.net
Old 2008-05-24, 07:52   Link #336
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

With regards to what animal is cute and has poisonous claws...

The one animal that confounds biologists and give geneticists headaches...

The fuzzy-wuzzy and all-around adorable... platypus.

ADD] With regards to Konata pulling up of her sleeve, this is because it is inappropriate for a lady to show her armpits. Due to her height, Konata suffers from the law of gravity because she has to fully extent her arms to reach the hand-rings. It's a play on the ills she has to suffer for being such a shorty.

Cheers.
Old 2008-05-24, 11:55   Link #337
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Hi!

Can anyone translate this clipping from Ryōō Gakuen Ōtōsai?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/...550287e9_o.jpg

Thanks!

Dee
She's communicating with someone and the dialogue is incomplete, to up the mystery. She's saying stuff like he's starting to realize, better off not knowing, flow of things, limited time, beginning of the end, blah blah.
Old 2008-05-29, 16:40   Link #338
Dee Eon

Vexxx, Rembr and Skane, thanks for your replies! You're another reason the wise hang around this neighborhood!

Thanks!

Dee
"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret", "Kanata: Totally Dead??", "Kanata's Dream" and sneak preview of "The Yamato Effect" on fanfiction.net this weekend.
Old 2008-05-31, 16:59   Link #339
Dee Eon

Hi!

Please translate this profile of Yamato. Thanks!

http://www.raki-suta.com/img/src/1188796421551.jpg

Dee
Old 2008-05-31, 23:12   Link #340
Rembr

I don't see Yamato anywhere, she's named Amahara Fuyuki.

You want the entire profile translated?? There's not much points of interest.
Closed Thread