AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 20:00   Link #81
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I felt the same way about the first episode of Gunslinger Girl.

Old 2012-04-02, 04:16   Link #82
freshoutofthepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Anime like Cowboy Bebop and Baccano has such a stylish pilot episode and pretty much keep the same momentum for pretty much the whole duration of the series, those sorts of anime have easy time getting the massive attention. For me generally I'm not too fond of those kinds of anime save for a chosen few. It may sound like generalisation but those anime with impressive pilot episode are willing to sacrifice the plot to make it all sensational and stylish or very appealing to the mass. They don't feel that genuine or heartfelt enough that they don't make much impressions on me.

On the other hand anime that is not too impressive at first tend to take the audience seriously and develop the characters with the real flaws. At the end, all that development pays off and actually makes a lot of impact, it gives me some sort of haunting or hollow feeling or warm feeling depending on how it ends. Texhnolyze is one perfect example for above description. It was the hardest anime to get into because there was hardly any dialogue, the atmosphere throughout the series was dark and depressing and every characters were solemn, stern and cold even the female characters. Once it reaches the climax, it gave me all sorts of emotion.
Agreed with Salt. It all depends on the writers and the director. Shows like Chihayafuru or Hanasaku Iroha both didn't have huge or impressive plots to draw in their audience with, (karuta and working at a hot spring inn?) but they had me completely hooked on the first episode. The plot wasn't impressive, but the characters were beautiful, and they managed to show it in the first episode.
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 16:36   Link #83
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Madoka for sure. Episodes 1 and 2 and first half of 3 are all troll attempts.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 10:46   Link #84
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Madoka (end of episode 3)
Mai-HiME (About 8 episodes in, before was mostly silly ecchi comedy)
So true! *brofist*
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 12:45   Link #85
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
One of the common gestures within Anime fans is that they always tell each other that a certain Anime will get better and make them sure that they will like it when they get to that part. It almost never works but everyone always says this line one way or another.

The question is, have you actually watched a series that did get better?

I do have some examples on my part.
I think around 50% of shows do get better at least at one point of the series.

But it will not if some one warned you before hand. Because you will start to build up huge expectations, and most of the time it will never be able to meet what you are expecting

So if some guys told you "It get better, i swear". Tell him that "It's very unlikely now because you said those lines"
Old 2012-04-06, 01:03   Link #86
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Well, now we have Medaka Box, about which everyone and their mother's like "I read the manga, it gets better". I haven't read the manga. I wonder if this will hold up.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 18:32   Link #87
aoaaron

loads of series... the one that sticks out is one piece which started off pretty terrible from my view and become one of my favourite shows ever.
aoaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:29   Link #88
YayPepsi

Mawaru Penguindrum fits the bill, I think. It has a really strong first episode but after that, it sinks into Ringo hijinx and she gets old fast, especially the first time you watch it. The series picks up steam again at around episode 9 and from then on it gets stronger with each episode.

Utena too. I like the first arc, but most people consider it the weakest and I can see why. It's very funny and cute but more like a typical high school anime with some weirdness thrown in. But in the Black Rose arc, things get dark fast. I feel like the lightness of the first arc was necessary in order to turn it on its head later, but a lot of people don't like it.
Old 2012-04-16, 20:50   Link #89
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
Madoka for sure. Episodes 1 and 2 and first half of 3 are all troll attempts.
This, Madoka was boring for a good amount of people on the first 2 episodes. Then when 3 came out, a large portion of this forum got into a super fit about it. Including myself of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
Mawaru Penguindrum fits the bill, I think. It has a really strong first episode but after that, it sinks into Ringo hijinx and she gets old fast, especially the first time you watch it. The series picks up steam again at around episode 9 and from then on it gets stronger with each episode.

Utena too. I like the first arc, but most people consider it the weakest and I can see why. It's very funny and cute but more like a typical high school anime with some weirdness thrown in. But in the Black Rose arc, things get dark fast. I feel like the lightness of the first arc was necessary in order to turn it on its head later, but a lot of people don't like it.
This as well, I used to think the anime was all about getting a diary in silly adventures. Then something smacked me in the head later on. Which was why I kept watching the anime to a fierce degree.

Last edited by Hooves; 2012-04-16 at 22:47.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 22:40   Link #90
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
This, Madoka was boring for everyone on the first 2 episodes.
You know, not everyone agrees with you on those first two episodes.

I myself don't. I felt that the first two episodes of Madoka Magica were perfectly fine. Some of us actually like magical girl anime, you know. (Not to mention that Mami in particular had some great scenes in the first two episodes, imo)

And, in fact, if you look at the ratings that AS users voted for Madoka Magica Episodes 1 and 2, they both have a strong majority of people voting it 8 or higher.

So there's actually a lot of people who didn't find the first two episodes of Madoka Magica boring.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-04-16 at 22:50.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 22:48   Link #91
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

^ Fixed post, sorry about that.
Old 2012-04-16, 22:52   Link #92
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Yeah, I liked Madoka fine in the first two episodes (note, I only watched it after Episode 4 started, so I knew about Episode 3). It sold me when Sayaka came to save Madoka, since I don't see friends get involved with the main character initially.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 23:06   Link #93
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
^ Fixed post, sorry about that.
It's fine.

I agree that Episode 3 is when the plot of Madoka Magica really shifts into high-gear (I'm putting it this way since that's probably the least spoilerrific way to put it, really), but I honestly think the first two episodes don't get enough credit.

The first episode in particular looks absolutely great after you watch Episode 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Yeah, I liked Madoka fine in the first two episodes (note, I only watched it after Episode 4 started, so I knew about Episode 3). It sold me when Sayaka came to save Madoka, since I don't see friends get involved with the main character initially.
I remember liking that too. How Madoka's two friends were more active than Nanoha's two friends (well, at least Sayaka was more active than Nanoha's two friends).