AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-10-01, 21:09   Link #61
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think it served the dual purpose of making her seem like a real person and not just a pointless side character, while also being a bit of comic relief. You could argue the fact that it was seen as such a problem at the time was meant to contrast her petty thievery to Walt's actions, but I'd say that's a stretch.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 21:09   Link #62
Byakou

I'm glad this show is over, maybe now people will shut up about it.

I watched the whole show, apart from some chucks of season 3 and 4 which bored me to death. It was an okay show, watchable but no more for me. I like sci fi and fantasy, so from the get-go BB isn't my cup of tea. People need to chill out and remember it's just a show and that not everyone will like it, I'm getting real tired of hearing people say stuff like "This is the best show ever created in the history of the universe, all other shows are crap compared to it". That's just obnoxious.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 21:13   Link #63
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
I'm glad this show is over, maybe now people will shut up about it.

I watched the whole show, apart from some chucks of season 3 and 4 which bored me to death. It was an okay show, watchable but no more for me. I like sci fi and fantasy, so from the get-go BB isn't my cup of tea. People need to chill out and remember it's just a show and that not everyone will like it, I'm getting real tired of hearing people say stuff like "This is the best show ever created in the history of the universe, all other shows are crap compared to it". That's just obnoxious.
I like sci fi, fantasy, and history, Breaking Bad is pretty far from my traditional genre radar too, but I still think it is the best show I've ever seen. Can't speak for the whole universe or anything like that, but for me, this is the greatest piece of television I've had the pleasure of viewing. So there's one more statement of praise for you
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 02:43   Link #64
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I like sci fi, fantasy, and history, Breaking Bad is pretty far from my traditional genre radar too, but I still think it is the best show I've ever seen. Can't speak for the whole universe or anything like that, but for me, this is the greatest piece of television I've had the pleasure of viewing. So there's one more statement of praise for you
Same here, I loved Firefly and still love GoT.. But for me, so much of BB was done so well, I would have to say that its the best television I've ever seen. As far as why people are calling it 'the best show on t.v evar' is.. well.. because the general consensus really seems to be that it was the best show ever.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 07:56   Link #65
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I think it is best to consider those three final episodes as one part of a whole ending.

Spoiler:

So yeah the finale of Breaking Bad left me satisfied. Thank you AMC, Gilligan, Cranston and Paul, also Norris, Gun and many others. You have offered us a wonderful moment of television history.

On a side note, here are the five alternate endings.
Old 2013-10-03, 09:50   Link #66
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
Speaking of pointless episodes and filler that's actually used as character development, do these last few episodes do anything to make Marie's klepto habits relevant? I know it's wishful thinking at this point, but that was probably the only aspect of this entire series I struggled to find a meaningful purpose for back when it was an issue she had to deal with. And that's because I can't recall anything her kleptomania lead her to do that had any major or relevant impact on the most important parts of the plot.

Long story short, it's a part of her character that I never could realize a practical purpose for.
Season 4 explained her klepto as a defense mechanism of sorts, an outlet for the emotions she can not reveal or act upon at home. When her life gets too complicated and strenuous, she likes to create new lives, new worlds where she is married with kids, or has an astronaut husband, or any number of other lies that separate herself from reality. During these moments, she likes to steal personal items in, what I believe to be, a means of asserting her control and dominance over the world around her without actually interacting with reality (e.g. asserting herself with Hank).

As an aside, her personal failings need not have directly impacted the main plot in any specific way to still be relevant to the specific character, but having said that I do believe her outlet is similar in design and function to Walt's creation of Heisenberg and Blue Meth. As Chain says, it is something of a weak parallel, but I do believe the process was supposed to be similar enough to indirectly tie their emotional states together (especially in Season 4 as Walt tries desperately and often futilely to control the world around him).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 20:56   Link #67
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think it served the dual purpose of making her seem like a real person and not just a pointless side character, while also being a bit of comic relief. You could argue the fact that it was seen as such a problem at the time was meant to contrast her petty thievery to Walt's actions, but I'd say that's a stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Season 4 explained her klepto as a defense mechanism of sorts, an outlet for the emotions she can not reveal or act upon at home. When her life gets too complicated and strenuous, she likes to create new lives, new worlds where she is married with kids, or has an astronaut husband, or any number of other lies that separate herself from reality. During these moments, she likes to steal personal items in, what I believe to be, a means of asserting her control and dominance over the world around her without actually interacting with reality (e.g. asserting herself with Hank).

As an aside, her personal failings need not have directly impacted the main plot in any specific way to still be relevant to the specific character, but having said that I do believe her outlet is similar in design and function to Walt's creation of Heisenberg and Blue Meth. As Chain says, it is something of a weak parallel, but I do believe the process was supposed to be similar enough to indirectly tie their emotional states together (especially in Season 4 as Walt tries desperately and often futilely to control the world around him).
Fair enough. Thanks to both of you for taking the time out to shed some light on the issue by sharing your thoughts and opinions on the matter.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 06:16   Link #68
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Breaking Bad: Español Edition.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-05, 09:07   Link #69
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Breaking Bad: Español Edition.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Just saw the trailer on AV Club. Besides the shitty quality of the production, it doesn't look half bad. It doesn't look half good either, but I have hope this could be an interesting adaptation (how does a Walter White character create an empire when he has to directly compete with the Cartels? This an many more questions are possible by adapting the concept for non-American nations.).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 06:58   Link #70
Domonkazu

just finished watching this one 2 days ago, I started to watch last week, damn never thought that TV series could be this good, the only close one would be game of thrones, but plot wise Breaking Bad is way better.
Acting, plot, twist, character development, not to mention unpredictable story development.

Enough for me to skip my whole 2 weeks dosage of animes.

5/5 from me
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 00:00   Link #71
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I am on the beginning of the 3rd season... Ok series so far. I find the main character quite annoying and his actions very illogical, so much so that they don't go along with his character. House, has the most entertaining and complex character I have seen in a TV show so far.

The story line is solid and it is entertaining to watch. However, it is not nearly as complex or trilling as I was expecting. Game of thrones has a better story line ATM. I am expecting that BB's story will improve eventually.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2013-10-08 at 01:21.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 06:58   Link #72
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
just finished watching this one 2 days ago, I started to watch last week, damn never thought that TV series could be this good, the only close one would be game of thrones, but plot wise Breaking Bad is way better.
Acting, plot, twist, character development, not to mention unpredictable story development.

Enough for me to skip my whole 2 weeks dosage of animes.

5/5 from me
Music and overall sound production worth mentioning too.
Old 2013-10-09, 09:18   Link #73
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
To be fair to Game of Thrones, it's not over yet and we don't know where Martin will take it when it will catch up to the books.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 00:24   Link #74
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
I am on the beginning of the 3rd season... Ok series so far. I find the main character quite annoying and his actions very illogical, so much so that they don't go along with his character. House, has the most entertaining and complex character I have seen in a TV show so far.

The story line is solid and it is entertaining to watch. However, it is not nearly as complex or trilling as I was expecting. Game of thrones has a better story line ATM. I am expecting that BB's story will improve eventually.
story line of house is great?.............HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA your funny mate.

1patient gets sick
2they diagnose it and treat it
3they get worse
4they brainstorm
5gets worse
6breaks into a patients home
7finds something in home and cures the patient
8Repeats step 1-7 EVERY EPSISODE!!
Old 2013-10-10, 06:20   Link #75
Jaden

The main characters of those two shows are similar in many ways, both are geniuses that tether between paths of insanity and an average person's happiness. That stuff really appeals to me.

Other than that, the shows differ a lot by genre and composition. House was purely episodic at first, but wrote a few longer story arcs after becoming popular. BrBa was planned from the ground up to be an epic saga, which is why I like it a little better.
Old 2013-10-10, 08:56   Link #76
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
story line of house is great?.............HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA your funny mate.

1patient gets sick
2they diagnose it and treat it
3they get worse
4they brainstorm
5gets worse
6breaks into a patients home
7finds something in home and cures the patient
8Repeats step 1-7 EVERY EPSISODE!!
Reading comprehension much? I didn't say anything about House having a solid story line but i did point out that the main character is more complex and enjoyable, Hugh Laurie is probably one of the best actors ever and his representation of doctor house is amazing.

I am currently on the 8th episode of season 3 and i truly cant stand Walt, he is just one huge irrational jerk who does incredibly stupid out of character things that annoy the heck out of me. I find myself cringing most of the time when he shows up.

On the other hand, Jessie is a great character who i find easy to empathize with and enjoy. He is easy to get attached to while i just want Walt to die already. Jessie is a better actor.

By the way, even though Walt sucks i find this show enjoyable.

Edit: Oh God, I just saw the Fly episode in season 3... Let me just say Walt is far... far from a genius Doesn't he know that if he uses a spray of any kind, like a windex or whatever he can take down a fly really easily?

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2013-10-10 at 13:54.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 00:09   Link #77
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I just finished watching season 5. I had to force myself to it thinking the main character will improve but I can't take it anymore. Main characters take most of the screen time and therefore people should feel some level of sympathy for them; there has to be an understanding of what they go through, but in this case the only thing I was wishing from the get go was for W.W to die ASAP. I even ended up yelling at the screen saying: "WTF dude! really? Are you that stupid?!" Mr. White is one very incoherent character, he is a mess.

In my humble opinion this show doesn't offer anything new and there is no moral to the story far. The main character is just an egocentric maniac who can't think straight when his ego is wounded. He made the show very painful to watch for me. Everything in breaking bad's world was well until Mr. White came in, and the funny thing is that all the chaos and death the guy left behind was completely pointless; a normal criminal would have done a less messier job.

I understand why people like the show, there are many twits and turns along the way and there is lots of drama to go around. However, all of it in my point of view is completely pointless because all this show is trying to shock and awe its audience, nothing else. The story is very simple and has almost zero complexity. The main character completely spoiled the whole experience for me.

/rant
Old 2013-10-18, 16:44   Link #78
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Walter White is one of the best character studies in modern storytelling, what show did you watch?
Old 2013-10-18, 18:02   Link #79
Jaden

A few other criticisms now that I've had the time to think about stuff...

I found Walt's motivations for going on his rampage to be pretty strong and relatable, but his development after the fact was weird. It seemed like he should either get progressively more evil and crazy, or wisen up and accept his fate, but instead he kept bouncing back and forth between the two. The transitions from being cold blooded to good hearted were sometimes too abrupt and unrealistic. Also, the extent to which he was willing to jeapordize his family seemed to conveniently change a few times.

The same could be said for his relationships with Jesse and Skyler. They would go from being all buddy-buddy to being at eachother's throats several times. It feels like there was never any direction. The ending kinda cleans these things up when Walt comes clean to Skyler, though I wish he spoke more with Jesse. I feel like a proper conversation between those two in the end would have been very powerful.

The ending doesn't fully make up for the unreasonable zig-zag that went on until then, since it involves such massive deus ex machinae that some people actually interpreted the whole episode as a dream.

Last edited by Jaden; 2013-10-18 at 18:24.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 19:05   Link #80
AnimeFan188

Breaking Bad Creator Admits Illegal Downloads Helped the TV Show:

"Breaking Bad, a TV show permanently sculpted onto television's Mount Rushmore,
whipped itself from a critically acclaimed yet not exactly ratings dominant TV show
into THE bizz-bizz-buzzy pop culture phenomenon of the year as the series raced to
its end. How did it happen? According to Breaking Bad's creator Vince Gilligan, illegal
downloads help."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/breaking-bad-crea...-th-1448160592

&

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24550832
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking bad