AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-15, 12:00   Link #461
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I think most computer programs will stop. As for playing in a friendly game people probably would keep going till the end.

Anyway, if someone gets a yakuman it's pretty much impossible to catch up to that unless you're playing a full 4 wind game and it happened early (east, south, west, north rounds).
I once got a yakuman via tsumo early on...I didn't win at the end...

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 12:05   Link #462
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Saki looks really good by far. l'm intrigued about how Mahjong works; the translation notes are indeed helpful.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 16:17   Link #463
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Question: How is this licensed so early? I've not seen its licensing brought up anyplace so I'm curious.
Old 2009-04-15, 16:29   Link #464
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Question: How is this licensed so early? I've not seen its licensing brought up anyplace so I'm curious.
It's being simulcast on Crunchyroll.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 16:31   Link #465
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oh. I see.
Old 2009-04-15, 16:32   Link #466
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its licensed via Crunchyroll's new business model of streaming anime through a partnership with the japanese anime industry.

So if you want to watch it with no "grey market" or illegal strings, you subscribe to Crunchyroll and watch it via that. As the Crunchyroll thread over in General Anime subforum indicates, mixed results. Apparently the source they're being given for Saki is a bit less than acceptable even by broadcast standards (speculation being that the producers still feel nervous about high quality video being leaked before the DVDs are sold).
Old 2009-04-15, 18:47   Link #467
einhorn303

And with Funimation and Gonzo's "Strategic partnership," it's almost a foregone conclusion it will see an R1 DVD release.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 20:33   Link #468
Molenir

I find it amusing to see some of the discussion here regarding mahjong. It wasn't long ago that the anime bamboo blade sparked a resurgence of interest in Kendo, and of course you can't forget Shion no Ou sparking an even more similar interest in Shougi. Not saying this in criticism, its just something I find amusing.

Great show so far. Definitely looking forward to more.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 21:00   Link #469
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
And with Funimation and Gonzo's "Strategic partnership," it's almost a foregone conclusion it will see an R1 DVD release.
Which leads to interesting questions about how it might be dubbed...

They could have some sort of on-screen notes with a dub track for the mahjong stuff or just include a booklet or simply ignore it completely and let people be insanely confused...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 21:15   Link #470
anselfir
Style Über Alles

i had 4 kans tenpai but some fucker ron'd before me
Old 2009-04-15, 21:54   Link #471
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I swear that type of Yakuman just might be one of the highest scoring hands in the whole damn game. I wonder what they're going to do to as her opposition.

It's sorta like in Bamboo Blade where it seemed like Tamaki just can't lose, ever.
Takumi did eventually lose though to a rival.

Similarly, Saki is going to meet someone who's just as skilled and just as lucky. It should be a fun battle.
Old 2009-04-15, 22:27   Link #472
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I find it amusing to see some of the discussion here regarding mahjong. It wasn't long ago that the anime bamboo blade sparked a resurgence of interest in Kendo, and of course you can't forget Shion no Ou sparking an even more similar interest in Shougi. Not saying this in criticism, its just something I find amusing.
It's just temporal. No one seems to be putting enough interest, marketing and fully pulling the audience into the mechanics of the game to do the Go resuscitation that Hikaru no Go achieved.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 23:53   Link #473
FateAnomaly

Even the Hikaru no Go resucitation is temporary.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 01:54   Link #474
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Naw, that's not the highest. The highest is a double yakuman, which there are a couple ways to get:

1. Four big winds = four kongs or pungs of winds
2. Thirteen orphens where the final tile is the duplicate (13 orphens means one of every honor and terminal, plus 1 duplicate)
3. Nine Gates = 1112345678999 in one suit with the final tile being a duplicate
4. Four concealed pungs with the final tile being a unique wait (Saki didn't get the extra yakuman in ep 2 because her wait wasn't unique). Unique wait means there's only 1 tile that will finish the mahjong.

Any of these gives 2 yakuman, which if you are east, nets you 32,000 from each player for a total of 96,000 points. Of course, chances are very likely that all 3 of your opponents don't have more than 32,000 points each because you'd have to have less than 4,000 points and the other three players would have to be dead even, so a double yakuman as east pretty much ends any game immediately.

Technically there are even higher scoring hands. Since yakuman stack (I'm pretty sure), if you got one of the above on the initial 14 tiles you started with, that'd be an additional yakuman for blessing of heaven (mahjong as east on initial 14 tiles), would be a triple yakuman for like 48,000 points from each player. But it's really sort of academic since there aren't that many points in the game to begin with. You'd just win with, um... +90, I think (100,000 points).
Heh, now we're entering Akagi territory.

I honestly can't ever imagine putting a DOUBLE Yakuman into play. It sounds to my ears like 'double full house' in poker. Godly.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 18:39   Link #475
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
I *ALMOST* got a nine gates hand but I completely (*&$(@*$(@&%&(@(*$@*$ it up by throwing out the wrong tile. I still won with a Chinitsu hand but the fact I threw away a nine gates will haunt me the rest of my life.

I've gotten a thirteen orphans hand three times before in Tenhou.

And Yakumans can be stackable...at least they were in this Mahjong game for the Famicom. Someone downloaded a emulator version and enabled some cheat where he could change his tiles to whatever he wanted...dude was making triple and quadruple Yakumans LOL

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 18:58   Link #476
Proto

Quote:
Even the Hikaru no Go resucitation is temporary.
Through enough, though you can expect it to be a little more long lived given all the support it received from simultaneous events and Go fairs from the Japan Go association that accompanied the broadcasting.
Old 2009-04-18, 05:32   Link #477
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
Just curious does anyone know a good program to learn/play mahjong ver. For net or solo play?
Gawambler Jiko Chuushinhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

j/k

Used to play Gawambler Jiko Chuushinha on the MSX at the school's computer club, when the teacher wasn't around.
Old 2009-04-19, 00:36   Link #478
Proto

Four winds mahjong is the one I use. It's interface is quite minimalistic, but it gets the job done given that it got a set of rules practically for every major instance of mahjong there is.
Old 2009-04-19, 14:04   Link #479
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
well, another fairly solid episode, I'd say its pretty much the same as the manga for now.

animation wise its still on par with the other episodes, and exept for a few particular cases everything seemed pretty well.

next episode should be fun :P
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 17:04   Link #480
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen