AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-08-15, 17:09   Link #1
msgpoisoning

Counter-Strike: Source, aka HL2 version of CS

Just released by Valve yesterday to LAN centers and people with ATI vouchers and those who bought CS:CZ will get it in a week, I believe. This Counter-strike has been rebuilt from the ground up by Valve for the new HL2 engine, and there are many improvements, while still retaining that awesome gritty feel of the original.

Anybody try it yet? I'm itching to try it but there is only like one LAN center here and it doesn't offer it.

Here are some screenies over at the halflife2.net forums.

Not bad, I say.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread...&threadid=31398

gamespot.com has a preview and video/interview footage here http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/counters...ew_6103815.html

there's a VERY cool high quality, but short 93 meg video of it here: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/counter-strike-re...d/531716p1.html
msgpoisoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 17:20   Link #2
Ending

Looking good -bump-mapping really gives some fresh feeling to the game.

Hopefully HL2 won't be too far off, now that I have dumbed Natural Selection and are lacking in the multiplayer field (too bad no one plays Quake 3 anymore )
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 23:45   Link #3
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Wow, looks pretty neat. Maybe they should've just chucked the whole CZ thing and just held out for this instead.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 20:55   Link #4
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I don't have internet connection at home at the moment so it'd be a real bummer that I can't get CS:S soon, and have to wait later.

But I'm really looking forward to this. CS with awesome graphics and physics would be truly pwnz.
Old 2004-08-20, 00:00   Link #5
veracromil

Send a message via AIM to veracromil
Very evil of Mr. Gabe Newell to say that people who had CS:CZ could participate in the beta. That oughta bump the sales up for that game a bit. Quite an evil marketing technique. Sadly i was one of the many who decided not to get CS:CZ and will not just to play the beta.
veracromil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 03:27   Link #6
epitaphex

yep yep

I have it. graphics are "wow". Only flaw is you need one crazy graphics card to withstand 100 fps (i'm on a geforce4 ti 4600). my fps is a constant 40, but it's smooth looking like it's a constant 80+
epitaphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 18:43   Link #7
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracromil
Very evil of Mr. Gabe Newell to say that people who had CS:CZ could participate in the beta. That oughta bump the sales up for that game a bit. Quite an evil marketing technique. Sadly i was one of the many who decided not to get CS:CZ and will not just to play the beta.

If you have the ATI HL2 voucher, you can play too, but of course you would've had to have bought a certain Radeon card to have that (fortunately for me, my dad bought it for his computer, and he gave the voucher to me. )
Old 2004-08-21, 21:08   Link #8
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
If you have the ATI HL2 voucher, you can play too, but of course you would've had to have bought a certain Radeon card to have that (fortunately for me, my dad bought it for his computer, and he gave the voucher to me. )
I got mine on ebay for $24.99, and CS:S just rocks. Great graphics, great sound effects, those nades have some amazing effects (flashbang is so lifelike...you gotta see it, amazing), for a beta the whole thing just screams quality.

Valve did a great job here, theres some crashing bugs and texture problems, and they left in skywalking for some stupid reason, but all around its so enjoyable to play that you can lose yourself in it for hours.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 22:58   Link #9
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronissz
I got mine on ebay for $24.99, and CS:S just rocks. Great graphics, great sound effects, those nades have some amazing effects (flashbang is so lifelike...you gotta see it, amazing)
Wow, you actualy got flash banged in "real" life? I realy dout that.

Cs is just a arcade game that looks real good. I realy think its overratted but I have to say the game engine for Half-Life 2 is pretty good in comparasion to other fps shooters. You can google for the details.
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 23:49   Link #10
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
ehh...far cry flashbang effect is better done
but CSS is unpolished
the models are still mirrored incorrectly with right hand side chraging handles, ejection ports, etc wrong
and REALLY fat fingers
smoke nade is quite impressive though
i like it
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 23:58   Link #11
Entropy
Flame warrior

Betas are like that ya know.You gotta have lots of patience and a good eye for stuff while you're in a beta to be a good tester.A lot of people aren't up to that task if the method of getting into a beta is very general like getting a copy of CS:CZ.Most of them want to play a free game,and than the unpolishedness that comes with a beta sometimes puts them off a game because they're really unwilling to test,but rather play.

Maybe instead of saying that the thing's unpolished you do something about it?Telling Valve about it is a good start...
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 01:50   Link #12
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy
Betas are like that ya know.You gotta have lots of patience and a good eye for stuff while you're in a beta to be a good tester.A lot of people aren't up to that task if the method of getting into a beta is very general like getting a copy of CS:CZ.Most of them want to play a free game,and than the unpolishedness that comes with a beta sometimes puts them off a game because they're really unwilling to test,but rather play.

Maybe instead of saying that the thing's unpolished you do something about it?Telling Valve about it is a good start...
Lol its a mainstream almost open beta, theyre not testing graphics and framerate anymore.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 01:54   Link #13
Entropy
Flame warrior

Still,there should always be a point in having a beta ;p
Old 2004-08-22, 02:00   Link #14
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy
Still,there should always be a point in having a beta ;p
At this point its probably to check the servers load and the public response.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 03:10   Link #15
Entropy
Flame warrior

Point conceded.
Old 2004-08-25, 21:55   Link #16
Sch0lls
CotS/BotS Fan

Send a message via AIM to Sch0lls
I play the original CS at the moment because my computer wouldn't be able to handle CS:S.. It would just black screen me and say, "Sch0lls, I'm going to blow up now" or something like that.. Geforce 4 ti 4600 and still a low framerate? That's pretty intense.. I saw a movie of Aztec and damn, do the graphics look sweet.. I really wanna try it.. Does anyone know the reccomended specs on it? I've only got a p4 1.6ghz, 512mb pc100 memory, geforce4 mx 440se with 64mb of memory.. Even on CS it only runs at like 40-80 fps which really pisses me off cause my friends p4 2.4 ghz with 256mb ram and same graphics card ran at 100 fps constant in CS.. He was getting a ATI radeon 9800 pro with 128mb ddr memory so I have yet to hear about that.. He said he was getting 80+ fps in CS:S with his computer now though.. He upgraded from 256mb ddr memory to 512mb pc3200.. Any suggestions on how I could boost my FPS in CS though? My computer should run it at 100 fps constant..

I also heard that everything in CS:S is destructable, anyone able to confirm that? That would be so sweet to shoot out a roof to kill people =)..
Sch0lls is offline   Reply With Quote