Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-05-19, 20:43   Link #261
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Fuck. It's a recap episode and they even gave it its own title.
Only 13 episodes, and they dare waste one on a recap episode? Do they really think people don't remember what happened within 6 episodes??? >=01

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 06:33   Link #262
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Only 13 episodes, and they dare waste one on a recap episode? Do they really think people don't remember what happened within 6 episodes??? >=01
This is like the 3rd recap episode I've seen this season. Is there something going on in the industry?
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 07:14   Link #263
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
This is like the 3rd recap episode I've seen this season. Is there something going on in the industry?
Yes. Anime schedules are very tight to begin with, but at the moment there are just not enough animators available. Demand for anime production is extremely high and many studios have no capacities to spare. That inevitably leads to delays or notable drops in animation quality. It's a shame, but I don't think this will change for a while, at least not with the current number of shows airing each season.

It's the fourth, actually, if you count that Alice & Zoroku special thingy which wasn't exactly a recap but not a normal episode, either.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 08:50   Link #264
kuromitsu

Actually in case of Kado the recap ep seems to have been planned from the start. The sound recording has been finished for ages, and according to the seiyuu while the they had no video to record against in the first half (this was from early to mid 2016) for the second half they had (so mid 2016 to early 2017 or even late 2016), obviously it probably wasn't finished video yet but it shows that in this case the animators are not desperately cobbling together episodes in the last minute. Also it's been known that the 7th episode would be called "episode 6.5" for quite a while.

Not all recap episodes are a desperation move, sometimes they're planned so that the staff can regain their bearings a bit and prepare for the second half of the story.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-20, 09:16   Link #265
Kakkou
Tch.

The recording for this show is a mix of the usual process with footage as a guide and pre-scoring, though I don't recall reading about it being so evenly split between the first and second halves of the show. What I do know is that the time between recording sessions grew longer towards the end, which might've been the production slowly lagging as it went.

In fact I suspect episode 0 was made later on, as an add on when the project shifted from (supposedly) being a movie to TV series. It could explain why it was almost entirely 2D until the opening moments of ep1.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 06:55   Link #266
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
What I do know is that the time between recording sessions grew longer towards the end, which might've been the production slowly lagging as it went.
I can't find the interview where they talked about animation being/not being available in detail (maybe it wasn't a seiyuu interview...), so you might be right on that account, but as for recording schedule, in this interview they say that they recorded eps 1-3 or so on a weekly basis, then it switched to a two-week basis, with a longer hiatus somewhere along the line. So it doesn't seem like a growing lag to me. Of course they might have just wanted to proceed with the sound recording while the visual production floundered, but even in that case it shows that most everything of key importance aside of the visuals, ie. story, dialogue, etc., were (mostly) finalized.

Then again, I think the point is that this all happened a good while ago. And sure, production can lag, but given what we know it really doesn't seem to me that they're only an episode ahead of airing, and this compilation episode was a last-minute desperation move.
Old 2017-05-22, 07:29   Link #267
jcdietz03

We're way past the discussion on wams.

Even for a device that produces infinite energy, you would need to tell the device how much energy to produce (if it could produce infinite energy).

A 12v light bulb will operate with 12v power, but with 6v power it will be dimmer. So the wam, connected to just to a light bulb, has to know how much light should be produced, something it can't know. It's also not possible to know that the bulb needs 12v to work. With normal technology, you can only sense that the bulb is a resistor; you can't tell what voltage will make it operate.

Capacitors store charge. An ideal capacitor can store any amount of charge - the higher the DC voltage, the more charge will be stored. However, real capacitors will blow up if the voltage is too high. I'm not sure exactly why. But the more energy a thing stores, the more bomb-like that thing becomes. I don't think there are any exceptions to this. When those devices for commercial energy storage fail (they store kinetic energy), they fail catastrophically. So the wam has to know how much energy you want to store in your capacitor.

So yeah, the wam is magical not only in that it produces infinite energy. Additionally, it "knows" how the circuit it's connected to should operate.

It seems that it would be hard to weaponize a wam. We just don't have the tech to make bombs that work by releasing large amounts of electrical energy at once, yet. You could make a bomb by storing energy and then releasing it... but that makes the weapon heavy. I don't see it as more dangerous than our current nuclear weapons.

Also, there's no reason to be concerned with heating the earth due to wam energy usage. We use about 1 millionth of one percent of the energy supplied by the sun (per day/year/whatever). We would need to devise some very wasteful energy uses for it to have a noticeable impact on the climate.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 09:40   Link #268
bakato

Callum May of The Canipa Effect wrote an article on the production of Kado for Crunchyroll.

The brain's called Sansa and Gonno is hired by this world's version of google, Setten, to interview zaShunina. The timing couldn't be better as zaShunina and Shindo plot to spread the Sansa with the power of the media instead of legal channels. Things start getting dicey when Tsukaiasks Shindo to help send zaShunina back to the anisotropic.
Old 2017-05-26, 12:09   Link #269
videoman190

How to make your own Wam
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 15:25   Link #270
Magewolf

There is no way to take this show seriously. "Hey, lets let this alien who has been here a month and apparently knew nothing to speak of about humans before then rewire our brains. What could go wrong?"
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 16:04   Link #271
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
There is no way to take this show seriously. "Hey, lets let this alien who has been here a month and apparently knew nothing to speak of about humans before then rewire our brains. What could go wrong?"
Pay attention. There's nothing being rewired. The sansa is an observational tool that lets humans get a sense of the anisotropic, which in turn allows them to become aware of and manipulate their other dimensional bodies.
Old 2017-05-26, 16:10   Link #272
jcdietz03

Maybe the show is an exercise in hypothetical questions. The first two being:
1) What if nobody had to pay for energy
2) What if nobody needed sleep

I like the author's answer to #1. Really, that's probably what would happen. I can't say I am a huge fan of that issue's deus ex machina resolution, however. The main character is a "tough negotiator" but didn't negotiate at all regarding that resolution. I would have liked him to be involved in it more.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 16:44   Link #273
kuromitsu

^I think it's at this point it's clear that the show simply doesn't have the episode count to be able to fully realize its ambition, so it's cutting corners with the plot. I wonder if we'll get a novelization eventually.

Anyway, the show is making me hate Saraka and that makes me grumpy. After this episode I'd rather have Shinawa Kanata than her! I wondered how her character would develop after not being much of an entity in the first half, but... yeah, this is not what I hoped for. It's not about her being reactionary, I wouldn't mind that, but the rest? The whole walking collection of "cute tsundere girl" anime tropes thing? Ugh, no, stop that right now. And now she's getting a romance with Shindou... my eyes are rolling out of my head. (I'm not surprised because it was promised in an interview, but deep, deep in my heart I kind of hoped for Natsume.) I guess the only interesting thing to come out of that is Shindou eventually having to choose between her and Zashunina.

(Also, that bag is cute, you ingrate.)

Other than Saraka's tsundere act making me facepalm... lol, SETTEN. And the excursion into Kado was pretty fun, although I wonder how the sansa plot will eventually play out... it's after all more controversial as the wam thing. As someone who generally considers sleeping a waste of time I'd certainly welcome an option to need less of it, but only if my boss doesn't know...

I also liked the protesters outside Kado. I guess they should've asked people if they wanted a 2km cube in their backyard... I mean I probably would because WHOA LOOK AT THAT, CAN I GO IN PLEASE, but I guess not everyone likes magic space cubes and pretty aliens.
Old 2017-05-26, 17:13   Link #274
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
^I think it's at this point it's clear that the show simply doesn't have the episode count to be able to fully realize its ambition, so it's cutting corners with the plot. I wonder if we'll get a novelization eventually.

Anyway, the show is making me hate Saraka and that makes me grumpy. After this episode I'd rather have Shinawa Kanata than her! I wondered how her character would develop after not being much of an entity in the first half, but... yeah, this is not what I hoped for. It's not about her being reactionary, I wouldn't mind that, but the rest? The whole walking collection of "cute tsundere girl" anime tropes thing? Ugh, no, stop that right now. And now she's getting a romance with Shindou... my eyes are rolling out of my head. (I'm not surprised because it was promised in an interview, but deep, deep in my heart I kind of hoped for Natsume.) I guess the only interesting thing to come out of that is Shindou eventually having to choose between her and Zashunina.

(Also, that bag is cute, you ingrate.)
I guess she's worried about looking even younger than she is. It's probably a common problem in her daily professional life.

(Though I largely agree with your opinion on her.)

Quote:
Other than Saraka's tsundere act making me facepalm... lol, SETTEN. And the excursion into Kado was pretty fun, although I wonder how the sansa plot will eventually play out... it's after all more controversial as the wam thing. As someone who generally considers sleeping a waste of time I'd certainly welcome an option to need less of it, but only if my boss doesn't know...

I also liked the protesters outside Kado. I guess they should've asked people if they wanted a 2km cube in their backyard... I mean I probably would because WHOA LOOK AT THAT, CAN I GO IN PLEASE, but I guess not everyone likes magic space cubes and pretty aliens.
Waste of time. They might have said no. And then zaShunina would have moved the kado anyway.

But even without wanting to personally go in it, I find the "go home" discourse so petty. The arrival of an alien would be the most important even in the history of mankind, and they can't see further than their personal inconvenience?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-26, 17:35   Link #275
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Pay attention. There's nothing being rewired. The sansa is an observational tool that lets humans get a sense of the anisotropic, which in turn allows them to become aware of and manipulate their other dimensional bodies.
That is gibberish. The human brain does many things necessary to its continued function during sleep. Just off loading it to another brain would have no effect since you would have to be making use of the functions(such as long term memory) that sleep gives you as the other brain was sleeping for you.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 06:11   Link #276
drawr

In regards to work productivity increasing without sleep, I can tell they are thinking exclusively with japanese work culture in mind. I do not think everyone is going to be happy about having work hours increase.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 06:23   Link #277
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But even without wanting to personally go in it, I find the "go home" discourse so petty. The arrival of an alien would be the most important even in the history of mankind, and they can't see further than their personal inconvenience?
Welcome to mankind, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if there was already an anti-alien movement, hell, even Saraka is trying to get rid of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
That is gibberish. The human brain does many things necessary to its continued function during sleep. Just off loading it to another brain would have no effect since you would have to be making use of the functions(such as long term memory) that sleep gives you as the other brain was sleeping for you.
That's why they pointed it out that while Zashunina says there are no ill effects it's something that needs to be examined and studied, which is likely why they didn't push it so hard as they pushed the wam. So far only two people have been affected by it (Shindou and Gonno), out of the four that experienced its effects. So no mass brain rewiring going on right now or in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawr View Post
In regards to work productivity increasing without sleep, I can tell they are thinking exclusively with japanese work culture in mind. I do not think everyone is going to be happy about having work hours increase.
But the show is not saying that this is a positive thing? In fact, like with the wam, various characters pointed out that it's controversial at the very least.
Old 2017-05-27, 08:37   Link #278
Tenzen12

Well, we didn't hear her arguments on this particular matter yet. But there is lot of solid arguments she can bring. Hell having Zashumina leave might be best idea anyone human expressed on screen up to this point.
Old 2017-05-27, 14:41   Link #279
DemonneoPT

Once again this show is proving it really have nice ideas but some of the characters drags it down with personalities not suited for the sci-fi genre in order to be taken seriously. Saraka is probably the best example of it. The scientist girl i can give a pass tho, since her childish mind actually had a purpose in the story so she could easily create wam, but Saraka? I was expecting for Shindo to have a real "rival" to oppose him regarding the alien and it's offerings but instead, we got a waifu... common Japan... you are better than this! The show has a cool concept with interesting views being discussed. Use the characters to fully explore said ideas instead of ships. They can redeem themselves in the next episodes tho since it looks like Saraka is finally expressing her doubts towards zaShunina. That is what i wanted to see. A debate/clash between cool sci-fi concepts. Honestly, sometimes i feel the internet is exploring this series story better than the anime itself with some of the discussions made by people regarding the Wam and Sansa..lol

I also have to praise the animation in the anime. CGI done right and perfectly mixed up with 2D elements. I still prefer the old school animation tho but i have to compliment the studio's effort to make this look really good! Toei making CGI great again
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 16:29   Link #280
Tenzen12

Putting aside whether Saraka has thing for Shindou (it doesn't really affect story anyway), she is pretty good foil who can see and voice cons of Zashumina and his involvement.

Tags
3dcg, sci-fi