Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2018-11-16, 03:04   Link #121
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The bigger deal is the state legislatures. You have a lot of deep red areas turning blue, and some states flipping blue completely, like Nevada. You can already see how much this scares the GOP considering they're already talking about shoring up as much power as possible in places like Wisconsin. 2020 is looking horrible for them in both state and federal races, so I'm not sure even that will help them.
Agreed! That's the Trump affect. As long as he's the president, he will make Dems fortune for them with one tweet at a time and one press conference at a time. Texas, Arizona, Florida, K-A-N-S-A-S.... hahaha... these are as red as it gets. And some of these states have huge population of first or second generations of immigrant...

So yeah, Trump's been a god-send for the Dems. Keep tweeting, sir!
Old 2018-11-16, 07:28   Link #122
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I don't disagree but 2 years are a long time for Trump and his crooks to cook up some insane ideas, even with the house blocking anything that even remotely smells republican.
I'm not counting my chickens until after 2020.
Old 2018-11-16, 16:11   Link #123
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I don't disagree but 2 years are a long time for Trump and his crooks to cook up some insane ideas, even with the house blocking anything that even remotely smells republican.
I'm not counting my chickens until after 2020.
Same. And I'll add, on the pessimist ledger, that:
- even without crazy ideas, more Supreme Court judges may die or retire in these two years.
- in two years, either Trump wins another term, or we get to find out what happens when the incumbent PotUS declares that the election was stolen.
Old 2018-11-16, 20:41   Link #124
Newhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Based on their roll-call votes, the Rs have moved substantially to the right, while Ds have moved marginally left. The new crop of D House members will probably drag their party closer to the center.

In contrast most of the few remaining moderate Rs lost their re-election bids, leaving the R caucus even more homogeneously right-wing than it is today.

https://voteview.com/parties
The Democrats have fully embraced the loopy far left identity politics and metoo crap they frankly should be locked up in mental asylums.

The republicans that lost their seats where nearly to a person the never trumpers or the neo-cons in the same vain as McCain getting rid of those war hawks is never a bad thing.

Last edited by Newhope; 2018-11-16 at 20:57.
Old 2018-11-17, 01:49   Link #125
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
The Democrats have fully embraced the loopy far left identity politics and metoo crap they frankly should be locked up in mental asylums.

The republicans that lost their seats where nearly to a person the never trumpers or the neo-cons in the same vain as McCain getting rid of those war hawks is never a bad thing.
LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!!

The CARAVAN is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111
Old 2018-11-17, 01:50   Link #126
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

But is it a carnival?
Old 2018-11-17, 01:53   Link #127
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Same. And I'll add, on the pessimist ledger, that:
- even without crazy ideas, more Supreme Court judges may die or retire in these two years.
- in two years, either Trump wins another term, or we get to find out what happens when the incumbent PotUS declares that the election was stolen.
I'll add to that ledger....

While a Supreme Court vacancy during any presidential term is important, filling the federal judge vacancy is just as important if not more in the longer run. With the senate under GOP's firm control they can fill in a lot of those vacancies in the next two years.
Old 2018-11-22, 01:00   Link #128
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

The Trump effect was visible in the house, but it also had another unintended consequence; a new presidential candidate: Richard Ojeda. Keep an eye on this guy. He will be a force to be reckoned with.

Old 2018-11-22, 11:07   Link #129
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I doubt it. Beto has more traction among Democrats than Ojeda. I don't see either of them being the nominee.
Old 2018-11-22, 11:36   Link #130
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
I doubt it. Beto has more traction among Democrats than Ojeda. I don't see either of them being the nominee.
I agree; I think it's too soon for either of them.

The best way for the Democrats to beat Trump is to get a Trump of their own, someone very well known that will electrify their voters to come out and support them.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2018-11-22, 15:45   Link #131
The Green One

So the best way to get power in the Government is to produce a moron and pretend this is an effective leader?

Anyone else seeing red flags here or is it just me?
Old 2018-11-22, 17:05   Link #132
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
So the best way to get power in the Government is to produce a moron and pretend this is an effective leader?

Anyone else seeing red flags here or is it just me?
When I said "a Trump of their own", I didn't mean a moron, just someone incredibly popular, who may or may not be in politics.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2018-11-22, 18:51   Link #133
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
When I said "a Trump of their own", I didn't mean a moron, just someone incredibly popular, who may or may not be in politics.
So in other words someone who isn't a politician and has no idea what they're doing in the actual office once they're there? Because that what Trump is, regardless of what you think about his actual intelligence.
Old 2018-11-22, 21:35   Link #134
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I am going to guess someone who can win over the crowd the way Obama did, or Bill Clinton did back the early 90s. A mix of charisma and gravitas, ability to connect with people and give off that kind of human warmth you expect from a POTUS. And can surround him/herself with the right people.
Old 2018-11-22, 23:09   Link #135
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Things would be telling if the President didn't pardon their Thanksgiving turkey and instead started a bidding war over its parts.
Old 2018-11-23, 09:32   Link #136
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I am going to guess someone who can win over the crowd the way Obama did, or Bill Clinton did back the early 90s. A mix of charisma and gravitas, ability to connect with people and give off that kind of human warmth you expect from a POTUS. And can surround him/herself with the right people.
That describes Beto. When I first saw him I immediately thought of Bobby Kennedy during the 1968 campaign. (I was a McCarthy supporter myself.)

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Still, there will be a lot of pressure on the Dems to nominate a woman or person of color. I'm not a big fan of either Booker or Harris, but I suspect they have a better shot at the nomination than a white guy like O'Rourke.
Old 2018-11-23, 12:06   Link #137
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
You are underestimating Ojeda, he is the only democrat who made the most gains in a red hot state nationwide, where Trump won by a 49% margin in the midterms. He appeals to many Trump voters and energizes progressives in the same way Bernie does. He is also an excellent orator and a great debater. His background is also note worthy; a military man for most of his life who is also of Mexican descent to an undocumented father.

The big problem for him will be the democratic establishment, who is currently in bed with all corporate powers, and is currently in an identity crisis debating whether to lean more progressive, as Bernie, Cortez and Ojeda have demonstrated, or go "center" like it always has in order to support more "mainstream" candidates (aka corporate friendly).

If history is anything to go by then we can assume that Mr Ojeda will get the same treatment by the media that Bernie received; complete dismissal. Even then Bernie did amazingly well for just a year of campaigning. I believe Mr Ojeda is aware of this fact, which is way he has announced his candidacy this early; two years of campaigning might amount to sufficient name recognition. We just still dont know if the democrats will be willing to support him.

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2018-11-23 at 14:19.
Old 2018-11-23, 15:42   Link #138
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
We just still dont know if the democrats will be willing to support him.
If it's going to be a white male, I suspect Sherrod Brown has a better chance than Ojeda. Brown won re-election in Ohio, which has now gone almost entirely red. He has deep roots in the union movement which, though much weaker than in years past, still can turn out voters on election day.
Old 2018-11-23, 19:09   Link #139
Applehell

So it looks like in the House the Dems are on track to gaining possibly 40 seats at rate we going even under the most gerrymandered map in decades.. Thanks to Arizona we only have net lost of 1 seat in the Senate despite the extremely R friendly map there this year. We also flipped 7 governorships and 300 state legislatures. Overall the midterms great results for us, the loss of Beto, Nelson, Abrams and Gullim aside. We good shoot at a Dem controlled government in 2020.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about any bipartisanship talk from Pelosi anyway. Her caucus are gonna investigating the hell out of Trump while passing liberal legislation which will kill much of anything getting done. It's just lip-service and McConnell says the same thing and we know it's lie. The problem is that Dems cna't just be anti-Trump, people also put them in to address healthcare so they have show they doing something on end. It's balancing act they have to walk to appeal to independents.

Quote:
If it's going to be a white male, I suspect Sherrod Brown has a better chance than Ojeda. Brown won re-election in Ohio, which has now gone almost entirely red. He has deep roots in the union movement which, though much weaker than in years past, still can turn out voters on election day.
After Ohio's results Brown needs to stay in his seat. Dems lost huge here and he's only they have at moment that win.
Old 2018-11-23, 20:26   Link #140
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...-trump-1012151

Quote:
Brown is among at least a half-dozen Democratic senators mulling running against Trump. But with the exception of Minnesota’s Amy Klobuchar, who’s gotten buzz amid visits to her neighboring Iowa, the other senators in the mix hail from blue strongholds like Massachusetts and California.

Brown’s worker-centric populism — protecting the “dignity of work,” as he puts it — is already a proven commodity with the blue-collar voters a Democratic nominee would need to compete in the upper Midwest states that handed Trump the presidency. He’s a Washington veteran who still looks and talks like an outsider. He played up his regular-guy persona in his most recent campaign, with an ad titled “Disheveled.”
He's got six years until he needs to run again. Making Ohio competitive in the Electoral College is also a substantial asset.
Closed Thread