Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-31, 21:56   Link #1
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Looking for "loser-goes-big" type of anime

I've loved watching Hikaru no Go, Slam Dunk, and Beck mostly for 1 reason...it has the same "loser finds something interesting and becomes very successful/popular" type of story and is also based in schools. I would love to see another anime similar to this. It does not have to exactly fit the genre but I would prefer that it is rather humourous and dramatic at the same time. Action and mecha is also good.

PS - If you have a suggestion that does not fit any of these details in any way, please do not reply as other people will not bother reading this thread when it has over 4-5 replies. Thank you.

PS2 - If you have a link/site from which I can dl this anime (if unlicensed) then I would be thankful as well...but since I'm looking to purchase anime, it really doesnt matter. Also please make sure that the anime is not too old...preferable over 1998.

PS3 - I have already found out about a show called Whistle! so don't bother suggesting that anime. Thank you.
Old 2005-01-01, 02:11   Link #2
domino
デレデレ

Peacemaker Kurogane is an action/comedy about a boy who has never been in battle who wants to join the Shinsengumi to avenge his father's death. He's a loser at it (instead of getting to be a samurai, he gets to serve tea), but learns more about what it really means to be a swordsman.
But I wonder if that series counts as "becoming great", because he never really gets the hang of the whole kill-people-with-a-sword thing ^^; Either way, it's an awesome series.

If you like sports anime, they're making Eyeshield 21 into an anime soon. The main character is unwillingly forced onto a football team because he's a weenie who can run really fast. He has no idea how to play (doesn't even know which direction to run), but unintentionally becomes the star of the team with his speed. The manga will be out in April (by Viz). One of the funniest series I have ever read, so the anime should be awesome...

Then there's Naruto, who's the worst in his school... but who doesn't know about Naruto already?

Wow, I thought anime with the newbie-becomes-the-best theme were common, yet I can barely think of anything...
Old 2005-01-01, 10:11   Link #3
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
Wow, I thought anime with the newbie-becomes-the-best theme were common, yet I can barely think of anything...
Lol I was thiking the same thing, isn't that weird altho most shounen have a character that already kicks ass, and as the story progresses his kicks a lot more ass. But you can't call that a loser, so It's pretty hard, anyway, here goes.

- Ragnarok- the Animation The main shounen is pretty much of a wussy in the beginning but finds heart and strenght as the story progresses. It's maybe a bit of a childish show. But if you like the MMORG style fighting and eviroment you could check it out.

- Gungrave As weird as it may sound is a succes and downfall story. 2 punks from the street become mastermind gangsters over the years. This one is rather highly acclaimed. But it doesn't fit the same as the previous shounes mentioned. It's a pretty serious story and well worth your time.

I'll try to think of more but like domino said it's pretty hard. Maybe you should ask kj1980, he's the man to ask about anything regarding anime.
Old 2005-01-01, 13:28   Link #4
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

regretfully, i am an anime otaku so i have already watched Ragnarok and Gungrave which i loved a LOT.....thx for suggestions but anymore?
Old 2005-01-01, 19:19   Link #5
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Weelll... It is in under your name, but the best example I can think of is Vandread... But you seem to know about it.
Basically any bishoujo (if you're into that stuff) goes with that flow, though, since they feature guys who have no talents in life, yet get swarmed with the ladies (ex. Love Hina, Da Capo, Green Green, To Heart, etc.)
On a bit of a slipperly edge, I guess I could say Stellvia no Uchuu, Tenjou Tenge, and Yumeria, as well as Scrapped princess broadly fit in this category as well... Sorry about the short list, it seems a bit tougher than previously imagined...

The all-time best example, IMO, however, is Hajime no Ippo, about a loser who takes up boxing and makes his way into the big world through dedication and faith. It's pretty old though...

Maybe check out http://www.anime-planet.com/animerec/ and see what you can find. Perhaps there are others that may think the way you do...
Old 2005-01-02, 16:34   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
I've loved watching Hikaru no Go, Slam Dunk, and Beck mostly for 1 reason...it has the same "loser finds something interesting and becomes very successful/popular" type of story and is also based in schools. I would love to see another anime similar to this. It does not have to exactly fit the genre but I would prefer that it is rather humourous and dramatic at the same time. Action and mecha is also good.

PS - If you have a suggestion that does not fit any of these details in any way, please do not reply as other people will not bother reading this thread when it has over 4-5 replies. Thank you.

PS2 - If you have a link/site from which I can dl this anime (if unlicensed) then I would be thankful as well...but since I'm looking to purchase anime, it really doesnt matter. Also please make sure that the anime is not too old...preferable over 1998.

PS3 - I have already found out about a show called Whistle! so don't bother suggesting that anime. Thank you.
I'll suggest the new mecha anime "JINKI:EXTEND" to a certain degree then. Interestingly, the main loser character is a she. Initial airing: January 5th. Based on the mangas "Jinki" and "JINKI:EXTEND" by Tsunashima Shirou.

Synopsis:

Aoba is a young girl who likes to build plastic model kits. One day, she is kidnapped to Venezuela and...well basically it is the usual "you get called up to some weird place and before you know, you become the pilot of a mecha robot."
Old 2005-01-02, 19:48   Link #7
UserName

Hajime no Ippo is a great anime in which the "Loser goes Big."
Old 2005-01-03, 00:13   Link #8
snoopy007
Opethhhhh

Send a message via AIM to snoopy007 Send a message via MSN to snoopy007
Quote:
Originally Posted by -|(aGe-BuNsHiN-

Try One Piece. Luffy is viewed as a loser/nobody to everyone he meets at first but he's kind of successful in everything in the end.
Old 2005-01-03, 06:23   Link #9
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy007
Try One Piece. Luffy is viewed as a loser/nobody to everyone he meets at first but he's kind of successful in everything in the end.
I beg to differ, Luffy is underestimated, but his strenght is undoubted. Nor does he need any encouraging or training. Luffy is NOT a loser. He just becomes big
Old 2005-01-03, 16:29   Link #10
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Thank you for all these suggestions but unfortunately I have watched more than 80% of them....the only one out of the recommendations that I haven't bought or watched is Stellvia which I refrained from....it seemed a little out of my tastes.

Well since it seems too hard to come up with good recommendations that are according to my specifications, any anime that has good romance, comedy, action would be fine now.

An example of this would be D.N. Angel (I'm a sucker for those damsle in distress themes ) or tenjo tenge (I liked in beginning but stayed off of it when started becoming like dragon ball.

Or it can be like Beck...this is absolutely loser becomes star theme I'm very hooked onto it...only problem is...fansub seems to be a slow to pick up on this anime...only 1 is subbing..

PS - Ambience do you think you can give more examples of bishoujos? I watched all of the ones you listed except Green Green which is a little too echi for me...Love Hina or Ai Yori Aoshi degree is fine but Green Green is too much.
Old 2005-01-04, 13:21   Link #11
soraryu

Tenchi Muyo GXP might fit into the "loser" profile. It has romance, comedy, action and even sort of Mecha. The main character has the worst luck (or more aptly put, no luck in anything). Even his parents/siblings are estatic when he is coered (more likely forced by his mother/sister) into leaving his home.
Closed Thread