AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-09, 02:03   Link #1
Nemuru

Sporting anime/manga with female lead

Starting to have crave for sporting anime these but it must have a female lead ^ ^, It’s not that I'm not interesting in male protagonist but females just appeal more to me.

Some series which I've seen are:

Princess Nine
Battle Athletes Victory
Shion no Ou

I suppose even manga is fine since I can foresee a limit response with just anime.
Old 2008-06-09, 02:33   Link #2
jedinat

Kaleido Star - she's a circus-type performer, but it's basically that type of anime. there's intense training, learning new techniques, etc.
Yawara! - judo girl
Old 2008-06-09, 02:49   Link #3
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
some things that comes to mind:

Suzuka
- The girl who is on the track team, if i was right. It also has romance and drama.
Bamboo blade- The whole serie is about kendo. It's a group of girl's. It also involves humor and can be serious at times
Old 2008-06-09, 02:53   Link #4
james0246

Going back even further, the classic Ace wo Nerea!, great sports series (in this case tennis) as well as a great shoujo series.

Strong second for the great Yaware!.
Old 2008-06-09, 03:07   Link #5
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbou View Post
Suzuka- The girl who is on the track team, if i was right. It also has romance and drama.
Yeah, but the girl isn't the lead, and the sports aspect is a very distant second to the angsty romance plot.
Old 2008-06-09, 03:14   Link #6
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Yeah, but the girl isn't the lead, and the sports aspect is a very distant second to the angsty romance plot.
Yea, maby i should have said it involves sport, but i forgot the girl wasn't the lead.
Old 2008-06-09, 04:31   Link #7
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Kaleido Star - she's a circus-type performer, but it's basically that type of anime. there's intense training, learning new techniques, etc.
Yawara! - judo girl
Shame on me for forgetting Kaleido Star, I'm such a big fan of the series I have the 2 dvd box sets at home for season 1 and 2.

Yawara! looks like it could be an interesting watch although I would need to check if its licensed in Australia chances are slim, I should learn to how shop for items online these day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbou
Suzuka- The girl who is on the track team, if i was right. It also has romance and drama.
Bamboo blade- The whole series is about kendo. It's a group of girl's. It also involves humor and can be serious at times
Suzuka to me was a big let down, while the main theme revolves around romance it just seem one sided and angsty for most part. If there was any potential rivalry in romance for Yamato it was comical to me since Honoka never had a fighting chance. (opinoin based on 5 episodes into the series)

I've also have some episodes of Bamboo Blade on my computer, the only thing stoping me from enjoying this series is the moe element of Tamaki. I must have grown bitter over the year and watching the trend of moe anime increasing in the market but with all things to consider I should watch this for Ryou Hirohashi sake, she's been my favourite VA since Kaleido Star and Aria.
Old 2008-06-09, 10:28   Link #8
Frans

Ginban Kaleidoscope. It's about ice skating.
Attack no.1. Volleyball. I'm only familiar with the live action version. Very nice. Looking at AniDB, there are at least two other volleyball anime.. Attacker You! and Ashite e Attack!. All these manga/anime are old.
And I agree about Ace wo Nerae! One of the great sport manga/anime. Old anime though.
Old 2008-06-09, 12:10   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't know if shows about board games qualify as "sporting," but Shion no Ou might also fit the request. It tells the story of a young girl who wants to play professional Shougi ("Japanese chess"). Shion's parents were brutally murdered before her eyes when she was four; solving the murder is as much a part of the story as the game itself.

Shion, herself, is one of the most appealing heroines I've seen in a while.
Old 2008-06-09, 15:39   Link #10
Mashda2k6

I really really recommend to watch Bamboo Blade. Someone here already suggested it so take this as an 'seconding'. The character development is actually realistic, the girls that fight aren't winning every single match and they won't get some unrealistic skill boost while thinking of a loved one. They really train hard and that way get stronger. A must-see IMHO.
Old 2008-06-09, 18:09   Link #11
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Umishou? w!

Princess nine

Air Gear/mix boys and girls

yakitate japan/ mix
Closed Thread

Tags
female protagonist, sports