AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-07-03, 11:08   Link #1
demon2004

new cpu

questions is if a video game says it needs a 2.5gz cpu and i have a amd x4 Quad core cpu @ 1.8gz will i be able to play it
demon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 11:55   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

That depends. Clockrate used to be the way to measure a processor's performance, but even before multi-core processors existed there were discrepencies in performance. AMD's processors were almost always clocked lower than Intel's, for example, but they performed just as well, and thus AMD took to labeling their processor lines based on the equivalent Intel processor clockrate.

So when it says a 2.5 GHz CPU, is that a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4? If so, your current processor will be fine. If it requires a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, there's a chance that you'll be fine. If it needs a 2.5 GHz Core i7, you may be out of luck.

Short answer: you're probably fine.
Old 2009-07-03, 16:11   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

2.5 Ghz Dual Core processors aren't neccarily equal to a P4 processor since although the clockrate is lower, the newer dual core will outproform a p4 since there are more cores and they have higher performance per watt. However, older games may not take avantage of multi core and could perform poorly.
Old 2009-07-03, 17:31   Link #4
demon2004

these are the game specs

1st game
left 4 dead
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

2nd
prototype

Intel Core® 2 Duo 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or better
RAM: 1 GB of RAM for Windows ® XP / 2 GB Windows ® Vista systems
Hard Drive Space: 8 GB of uncompressed hard disk space (Plus 500MB for swap

i have an AMD® Phenom(tm) 64 X4 Quad-Core Processor 9100e
Old 2009-07-03, 19:05   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

You may have some performance issues since the AMD Phenom is slightly slower than the core2 CPUs.. this doesn't mean it won't run the game, it will perform slighty slower but it should still be playable depending on what graphics card you are using.
Old 2009-07-03, 19:31   Link #6
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
If it needs a 2.5 GHz Core i7, you may be out of luck.
Do games even exist that have minimum (or recommended) requirements like that yet?

Pretty much the answer is, you may not be able to turn on all the features the game has and be able to play smoothly, but you should be able to run the game.
Old 2009-07-03, 20:43   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Do games even exist that have minimum (or recommended) requirements like that yet?
Good question, probably not

Either way, the main thing to know is that processor clockrates are not as much of a determining factor in processor performance as they used to be. For games, as long as you're using a new-ish processor, I wouldn't even pay attention to the processor requirement (unless the game is brand new and is known to have hefty hardware requirements). Practically each new generation of processors blow away the older generation, even when at a slower clockrate.

If you're worried about how the game will perform on your computer, try to find a demo and play the demo first. If there is no demo available, Google around for the game name and your processor to see if anyone's complained about it. Those are ways to be doubly sure that you probably won't run into problems.
Old 2009-07-03, 23:53   Link #8
demon2004

forget

i gave that computer away i just picked up a new one the cpu is Quad core Q9300 @ 2.5 6mb cache, is this cpu fast enough to play any game out there if so what video card would be good
Old 2009-07-04, 00:06   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The processor you have should have absolutely no problem with playing most recent games... but most computer games at most will only use two cores...

If you playing the most recent games, nVidia's offerings I think is currently the fastest at the moment. Go for a Geforce 2xx series if you are planning to play the most recent games at high quality and using DirectX 10. If you need a cheaper card, Geforce 9800+ is a bit cheaper, but a little bit slower than the 2xx series but still good enough for the latest game since it's not nearly a year old and can still play at high settings with good framerates (can be found under $300)...

If you perfer ATi, get a Radeon 48xx graphics card...
Old 2009-07-04, 00:42   Link #10
demon2004

video card

i want to keep under 140us for now or should i wait and just buy a cheaper card that would at least let me play all the new games
Old 2009-07-04, 09:54   Link #11
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

You will be able to find a Geforce 9800 (which is sufficient enough to play most games at high settings) within your price range, but you may have to pay for shipping:

This is what I found on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0%20-%20%24200
Old 2009-07-04, 10:21   Link #12
Saleh
Inactive

Nvidia also keeps a catalog for prices of their Graphical adapters by vendors. You may want to have a look at it for Geforce 9800Gt, GeForce 9800GTX+, GeForce GTS 250 and their specs comparison. Also, before buying a graphical card check your motherboard compatibility.
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 12:32   Link #13
demon2004

video

how do you check motherboard compatibility this is the computer that i have

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668246.php
Old 2009-07-04, 14:46   Link #14
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Most computer recently come with a PCI express 2.0 which most newer cards require, but you most likely have the port since your computer came with a graphics card but you may need to upgrade your psu or power supply since most stock power supplies may not have enough watts to power a powerful graphics card
Old 2009-07-04, 22:34   Link #15
Saleh
Inactive

Presuming that your desktop is newly purchased and/or is in warranty period, you may want to contact your vendor incase changing hardware without notifying them or consulting them nullifies your hardware warranty.
Saleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 23:20   Link #16
anti-sasuke brigade

hi guys i have a quick question about graphic card brands cause i recently brought a evga 8800 GTX for 150 US(second hand), how does brand goes in play with graphics cards, cause im looking at some of the 9800 you guys mention above post which cost fairly cheap, compare to mine which is a second hand and cost me 150 US

Last edited by anti-sasuke brigade; 2009-07-04 at 23:37. Reason: typos
anti-sasuke brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 23:46   Link #17
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-sasuke brigade View Post
hi guys i have a quick question about graphic card brands cause i recently brought a evga 8800 GTX for 150 US(second hand), how does brand goes in play with graphics cards, cause im looking at some of the 9800 you guys mention above post which cost fairly cheap, compare to mine which is a second hand and cost me 150 US
Sorry to say, but what you bought is not worth the $150 you paid. Branding with graphics cards is associated with the quality of build, the warranty policy, manufacturer design (mods on the reference design), packaging/accessories, support, etc. Some brands just offer an overall better package at the right cost, while others have a cost-first business model.

Now back on topic,

There is no need to ask whether you're able to play a game or not with hardware that you currently have, just test it for yourself. That's the best answer you can get, by assessing the performance for yourself. As for your video card, you will need to upgrade for the games you've listed. The specs list an HD3450, which is not a performance card and is geared towards the HTPC market. It's also necessary for you to upgrade your 300W power supply, because it won't sufficiently power the performance cards you're looking for.

So here's some recommendations:
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 + SeaSonic S12 500W
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 + SeaSonic S12 500W

The first option will give you very high performance, while the second is moderate but still quite satisfiable for most. You'll need a similar calibre power supply as listed above or better due to the quad-core in your system. So what this means is that if you want to really game with it, it's going to be above the budget you had it mind.
Old 2009-07-05, 03:21   Link #18
demon2004

card

i was thinking of waiting untill the new cards come and getting a 4650 i was looking at some other gatgeway computers and they have one with a 4650 on a 300watt power supply

Old 2009-07-05, 03:24   Link #19
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon2004 View Post
questions is if a video game says it needs a 2.5gz cpu and i have a amd x4 Quad core cpu @ 1.8gz will i be able to play it
Can you give me a cpu-z screenshot so that I can ponder on it?
Old 2009-07-05, 05:27   Link #20
demon2004

question about the temps

ok i ran prime 95 for a bit and hear are my temps

98.9% Load

Temperture
cpu 1 66 cpu 2 58 cpu 3 60 cpu 4 61

now the tj max that core temp says is 100C for my cpu and my cpu idels at around 42 to 45 now i live in orange county city of santa ana so it hot even at night most of the time right now my rom temp is 73c, now since my max is 100c i should be good right i don't think the fan is stock it looks pretty big it's a gateway computer