AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-11-06, 16:17   Link #41
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I find it interesting that Japan's fascination with card trading games is never mentioned in this show.

I'm impressed with Midori's commitment. It took a lot of work to create those game boards, the furnishing cards, and the money.

Maybe making the players bid to buy the furnishings would introduce an element of conflict and drama.

Does seem like a rather "girly" game.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-06, 16:22   Link #42
James Rye

That was a pretty cool game idea by Midori-chan. When I first heard the rules, they sounded simple and engaging but after watching them play and hearing the girls critic I realized that it was pretty monotone and quite fenced with the scoring rules.
Beresford was also right, not only about how to develop a new game but also about how hard a standing board games have in Japan. With digital games and handys with trillions of games for it it is hard to imagine that many japanese people are ready to pay quite a lot of money for phyiscal board games for which you need other players to meet up and play. Why go through all that trouble when you can have it much easier with video and online games?

I hope we see Midori's One Room game again but then as a finished product.^^
Old 2019-11-06, 16:36   Link #43
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Maybe making the players bid to buy the furnishings would introduce an element of conflict and drama.

Does seem like a rather "girly" game.
Good idea, but then the part about who makes most money by most working hours would have a huge advantage meaning being first on work hour picks is way too strong a starting point which is why Midori created the rule of not shopping. However we could use the idea of event cards to make that possible, like every turn an event card gets taken which for example includes stuff like "50% off Lamp price" or "Furniture auction" or "Bad weather/storm" or if pets get introduced into the game have a card like "pet accident" where the cat or dog broke a trinket while playing, like Vases would be "breakable" trinkets whereas a rug would be a "durable" trinket but instead can get dirtied like by a coffee mug filled with coffee. Ofc a player should only be able to buy one pet and they need their own space as well, plus sleeping bed furniture (or cat tree, bird cage, fish aquarium) and toy trinkets which would get extra points with the pet but takes spaces for furniture. The whole pet and per furniture and pet trinkets could even be made as an expansion to the game with its own set of rules like many games have so. You could even add other furniture expansions later on like a "futuristic" furniture set to expand the possibilities to design your own room.
There is a lot of stuff you can do with Midori's game if you think about it.
Old 2019-11-07, 01:40   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Also fair points made in the early going. I suppose someone making board games overseas wouldn't be counting that hard on Japan. Tough to bust into the game market dominated by either consoles or mobile games. Though I wonder if that isn't an issue in a lot more countries than just Japan. Not that I can't remember the last time I played a board game. Some months back I did play Monopoly. But that's about it.
It could be simple cultural distance. What's successful in one country may not be so in another, and vice versa. The Japanese have their own board games, after all. (Does Karuta count? Lots of TCGs, too.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-13, 21:17   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thomas Romain, who traveled from France to Japan to work on a number of projects for studios like Satelight, has turned his attention to designing a new game for Sony's TOIO platform. He describes it as "a unique type of gaming console that doesn’t use a screen as interface but robot cubes instead. It’s a console for physical games!" Looks like something our girls would love! Still only available in Japan.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-11-14, 16:25   Link #46
James Rye

Maki-chan is so pretty and sexy! <3
And Miki-chan is way too cute when she is tearing up. XD
Chairman is a cool bro, he took that lose with great attitude.
Old 2019-11-15, 01:36   Link #47
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I spotted Dixit and Spot It!

The cafe idea will attract more players and the club will keep on growing.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-21, 02:05   Link #48
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

New episode just dropped and they played
Spoiler:
Old 2019-11-21, 17:11   Link #49
James Rye

Aww, this is such a feel-good-series. <3
Emmy is really pretty, no wonder the café was stormed after her SNS message. I can get the student president's optimism but I am pretty sure it was the boys being horny that got the café rolling.^^
But yeah, the café was a huge success! Real glad those 4 girls became friends, liked the little changes in the OP which includes Emmy now. And the Keltis game was a lot of fun to watch, it is quite tactical once you have to look what cards you gonna discard or what piece you move first or if you use a clover to move another piece or where to get 2 wish stones before the 9 are gone. Also a german dad and an irish mom, why do I have a feeling that a lot of beer was involved in those two meeting each other? XD
Next episode - japanese games, yay!
Old 2019-11-22, 15:42   Link #50
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is "SNS" the Japanese name for the texting protocol known as "SMS" in the US?
Old 2019-11-22, 17:01   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Is "SNS" the Japanese name for the texting protocol known as "SMS" in the US?
I think it stands for "Social Network Service", and is a catchall term for social media. It conveniently avoids citing any specific brand.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-23, 01:37   Link #52
OkamiNoKaze

What I really need to know is when do they start playing board games on Motorcycles for the fate of the world?
Old 2019-11-28, 14:04   Link #53
James Rye

AHHHHH~ Elfenland - Nostalgic critical hit!!! I played that so much as a kid! <3
Aww, Kid Emmy is so cute! <3 <3 <3
But her family really is international, dad is german, mom in ireland and her granny is japanese. Quite impressive. Her wanting to become a game designer makes kinda sense with her background and love for board games.^^
Nice idea to use a child game to showcase the "evolution of games" as well how some simple rule changes can bring in competition, risk taking and thus fun. If Midori and Emmy worked together they could probably create pretty amazing games.
Old 2019-12-07, 19:53   Link #54
James Rye

LOL! Emmy really worked Midori to the bone in that game, just look at that dress! Her feminine power are so high even a girl can't stand up to it! XDDD
I never heard of that game, sounds fun, basically two games in one and it can only be won in pairs. I like it, it seems to be a fun "couple" game. With 6 men though it might be a bit weird to play. XD

Aya's dad really is selfish, at least they had a good talk over that game, so now Aya isn't sad that her dad ditched her christmas party for bears in the mountain. I really wanna see her mother now though.

Gotta say though as adorable as the two straight couples are, EmmyxMidori is totally taking the cake of the show! XD XD XD

But this anime makes me so sad because the manga doesn't get translated and I cannot find the full raw of it anywhere to at least look at the panels... I mean, the series ended from what I heard but even that ending I could look at..... I hope this anime motivates some groups to translate Afterschool Dice Club. :C
Old 2019-12-07, 20:29   Link #55
Dop
Mmmm....

Yeah, I mean, on the one hand I can see that Aya's dad might think he's doing his best for his family, but on the other hand he's too insensitive to see how this affects his family when they want him to be with them, so I can see how Aya gets angry about it.

Still, the game helped them resolve that and maybe next time he'll think twice.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 17:07   Link #56
James Rye

Now that is a fully fleshed game! Those tokens look great, the 3d room feel more lively, the customer and first player take shop space makes the game more competitive and time/round strategizing (as you don't want to have the money to buy a furniture when a customer moves on it) and the catalog cards give a lead for the players and a replay feeling. I expected a "Sakamotot" figure, aka a funiture seller who helps players buying good furniture or something, but maybe that comes later.

Really like how great the chemistry between Midori and Emmy is, our two hardcore board-game geeks. I totally ship them, no joke. Midori getting inspirited by Emmy's words and Emmy calming down the others telling them Midori will make an awesome game for them. And what an awesome game it was! That Bereford gonna eat his sunglasses once he played and liked that game! XD

I am so glad this got an anime. Now there just needs to be a nice translator group taking care of the raw manga...
Old 2019-12-12, 21:35   Link #57
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I wonder if the anime company got expressive permission from the real life game companies to showcase their games in this show. Also, did they hire a board game designer to consult on Midori's game for the show?
Old 2019-12-13, 12:05   Link #58
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
I wonder if the anime company got expressive permission from the real life game companies to showcase their games in this show. Also, did they hire a board game designer to consult on Midori's game for the show?
I thought this was an original game thought up by the mangaka of the series?
Old 2019-12-13, 14:52   Link #59
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Midori's game is original, but the other games they played clearly exist in real life. My guess is the production committee probably bought the rights to use these games, though the promotional value of showing them might have kept the cost down.

Some anime use product placements to bring in additional revenue; note the prevalence of Yamaha instruments in nearly every anime related to music. Still I doubt that a German board-game manufacturer would pay to showcase its games in a Japanese anime. Probably the transaction went in the other direction.

Old 2019-12-14, 00:43   Link #60
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Midori's game is original, but the other games they played clearly exist in real life. My guess is the production committee probably bought the rights to use these games, though the promotional value of showing them might have kept the cost down.

Some anime use product placements to bring in additional revenue; note the prevalence of Yamaha instruments in nearly every anime related to music. Still I doubt that a German board-game manufacturer would pay to showcase its games in a Japanese anime. Probably the transaction went in the other direction.

Is that Kids on a Slope? Loved how refreshing it was given what most anime is about these days.

Tags
board games, school club, school girl, slice of life