AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-10-26, 14:48   Link #1961
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

MM's author is long dead though. What a shame! I've noticed that many authors of popular LNs don't have good health. MM, Reord of Lodoss Wars, Haruhi, Zero no Tsukaima, IS.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 18:59   Link #1962
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, a novelist lifestyle is not exactly that healthy since they might have to pull some all-nighter near deadline. Add the fact that the room they use in Japan is usually much smaller than US due to extremely high land price, authors usually cooped up in their room thinking of material for their work, and unhealthy diet then you'll get the ultimate recipe for bad health.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 19:00   Link #1963
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
The problem here in HnA. No matter how hax Hysteria mode is. Bullet can't pass through wall of fire or ice or even hit shadows
There was the special bullets professional Butei use, each comes with a special ability. For example, one of them engulfed Sherlock in a giant ball of flames when Kinji fought him (and he didn't know the bullet can do that - just that it'll do something), and Kinji got sent a entire set of those special bullets (with a variety of abilities) from Rome after Kaname kicked the rest of Team Baskerville's backsides.

Or the rest of the team pulled some strings and gave him those bullets without him having a say; my memory's a bit hazy on that part.

On the topic of things going downhill in HnA... I thought it was still alright, until they introduced a new little sister that curbstomped most of the other main heroines.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 19:47   Link #1964
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post

On the topic of things going downhill in HnA... I thought it was still alright, until they introduced a new little sister that curbstomped most of the other main heroines.
Exactly stuff like this...it's overly jarring. Suddenly, she's invaded the home and.....yeah INVADED THE HOME. I know she's yandere max and all but still to have such a powerful foe do this instead of fight normally....It's becoming too plain...weird.
Old 2011-10-26, 20:13   Link #1965
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
My qualms with both series? Everything gets stronger around the protagonist while the protagonist himself reduced from someone with potential to be great into a dunce who can't do anything but watch the girls fight. I happen to like a hero who's a badass. Denseness doesn't bother me, but being a weakling does. Someone like Sagara from FMP or Touma from Index is the kind of harem protagonist I like(well, FMP's technically not a harem since only 2 girls like him, but it fulfill all the requirement with protagonist who's dense as a log and 2 girls who can't straightforwardly said they like the protagonist, at least until the plot moves forward).

IS used to be good since Ichika has a great potential to be bad-ass with a "black-horse" type of IS, but he's been reduced into spectator in later volume, just like Kinji in HnA(the HSS used to be so bad-ass ><).

If it's about protagonists, I have a problem with too powerful as well as too weak. Too powerful and you wonder what's the point of the side characters, too weak and you're watching a pokemon trainer.

Actually there are stories that with the right kind of set up, can allow for a weak hero to defeat a strong enemy, which is more impressive than say a strong enemy being defeated by a stronger force.

I can't say for Ichika because I never read Infinite Stratos, but my beef with Kinji is his monologues... Even from the beginning it was the one thing that bugged me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Exactly stuff like this...it's overly jarring. Suddenly, she's invaded the home and.....yeah INVADED THE HOME. I know she's yandere max and all but still to have such a powerful foe do this instead of fight normally....It's becoming too plain...weird.
It's all about execution, and from what I've heard- it wasn't very well done at all.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 10:32   Link #1966
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If it's about protagonists, I have a problem with too powerful as well as too weak. Too powerful and you wonder what's the point of the side characters, too weak and you're watching a pokemon trainer.

Actually there are stories that with the right kind of set up, can allow for a weak hero to defeat a strong enemy, which is more impressive than say a strong enemy being defeated by a stronger force.

I can't say for Ichika because I never read Infinite Stratos, but my beef with Kinji is his monologues... Even from the beginning it was the one thing that bugged me.

It's all about execution, and from what I've heard- it wasn't very well done at all.
so saying that the quality of the meat is well and good... its only how you cook it... right?

as for the guy.... well.... he needs to work being a cynical and reluctant hero because... he cant even have the balls to just man up and stop the girls. he was ballsy enough to do just that when the second Aria vs. Riko on the rooftop when HS mode kicked in.
Old 2011-10-27, 18:21   Link #1967
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
as for the guy.... well.... he needs to work being a cynical and reluctant hero because... he cant even have the balls to just man up and stop the girls. he was ballsy enough to do just that when the second Aria vs. Riko on the rooftop when HS mode kicked in.
Well, any one of the four girls in team Baskerville (Aria, Riko, Shirayuki and Reki) can pretty much curbstomp him if he's not inside HSS mode - I don't hold it against him for having enough brains to know not getting into a (painful) fight he can't win. Unless it's one of those situations where his comrades is hurt, then he steps up regardless of odds.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 23:27   Link #1968
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Well, any one of the four girls in team Baskerville (Aria, Riko, Shirayuki and Reki) can pretty much curbstomp him if he's not inside HSS mode - I don't hold it against him for having enough brains to know not getting into a (painful) fight he can't win. Unless it's one of those situations where his comrades is hurt, then he steps up regardless of odds.
I believe that the cause of him being a total wussy when facing girls is due to the use 'n abuse trauma the past girls did to him. also, he only faced FEW males, that counting Holmes, a brief encounter with his brother, Vlad, and the newest GIII guy.

meanwhile, he already has faced:
Riko for a short time
Patra
the Cao-Cao sisters
Jeanne
a short moment with Kaname

also, MOST of his personal strike team members I mean teammates/friends are females... that counting
Aria
Shirayuki
Riko
Jeanne
Elle
Fuuma
Aya
Jeanne
Reki
Misaki
Kaname
Meiya (ally, needs pic)
Tamamo (ally, needs full pic)

his friend Muto cant cure his zomgwfimtooinepttofightagirl, and Shiranui just likes to stay in the sidelines.

yeah... pretty much.

Last edited by ZeKeR; 2011-10-28 at 09:22.
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 01:01   Link #1969
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Who's Muto?

Kinji's friendship with Muto is like Naruto's friendship with Shikamaru.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 05:10   Link #1970
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ You know, that's actually a pretty damn good comparison.
Old 2011-11-23, 02:51   Link #1971
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Who's Muto?

Kinji's friendship with Muto is like Naruto's friendship with Shikamaru.
i think that's one should be compare with shiranui ~
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 05:07   Link #1972
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Perhaps, but then I wouldn't know where to put Muto.
Old 2011-11-24, 11:12   Link #1973
endarion88

missed something, what is this AA?
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 11:57   Link #1974
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
missed something, what is this AA?
A side story starring a girl who is Aria's apprentice to say the least.
Old 2011-11-25, 02:39   Link #1975
HasuMasu
*Artist

Is it a manga?
Old 2011-11-25, 03:30   Link #1976
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Is it a manga?
Yeah. I didn't see a manga section for this series, but I'll remove it just in case.
Old 2011-11-25, 03:36   Link #1977
HasuMasu
*Artist

Ah, I see, thanks.
Old 2011-11-28, 17:59   Link #1978
Athena
The Power of One

BTW, anyone's impressions of the upcoming novel (not announced yet though)?
Old 2011-11-29, 23:14   Link #1979
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

New hna should be out already IIRC. It's either nov 25th or around Des 20th. Won't buy it though so I can't give impression... Yet.

Last edited by kuroishinigami; 2011-11-29 at 23:34.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 06:30   Link #1980
AP24

Vol 11 comes out on Dec 22. Riko is most likely gonna be on the cover since she's next after Aria and Shirayuki.

Apparently the light novel series sold quite well this year. It ranked 10th for most sold copies per light novel series (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=370533).
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen