AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-10-16, 09:41   Link #21
Frontier

The Opening really fits this series, as a jazzy, stylish, number with lots of artsy imagery and even manga panels showing off the Supporting Cast .

Yatora is now the token guy in the Art Club (Yuka's, well, Yuka) which kind of throws everybody off, especially with his delinquent looks. Also, I totally hear Aoi Koga in there .

Yuka looks hot even in those pants .

Artists might not need to master still-lifes...but they're a good way of improving your basic and technical skills as an artist, which is definitely something Yatora needs right now .

Also shows you how cuttthroat the art industry is that even the person Yatora idolizes the most, Mori-senpai, ranks to the bottom of her prep school class. But you can definitely see a difference with how razor-focused she is on her art while Yatora is trying to get into that zone .

Of course Yatora struggles to tell his parents...and then his mom just stumbles into his art and his desire to go to TUA, and she admittedly has her reservations. At the same time Yatora through his art has gained a better appreciation to his mother, and he tries to express his feelings and desires to become an artist to her through his art. And it finally gets through to her .

I love how one of the girls brought an anime figurine to class as part of their Summer work. True woman of culture .

Yatora and Mori exchanging art to each other for Mori's graduation was pretty sweet, although I can't help but think of Mori looking like a loli in Yatora's art .

The Ending is a very serene theme, with illustrations of the main cast. I kind of wonder if they'll change it up depending on the episode .
Old 2021-10-16, 18:50   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I really like the show so far but the scene where Yatora comes out of the closet about art to his mom was unintentionally hilarious. For starters, the drawing he gave her looked more like a doodle than a proper drawing (the paintings his mom saw earlier and the art he drew for the club assignment looked a hundred times better), I have a hard time imagining anyone being moved by that. Secondly... just how many times per day does the mom wash the dishes for her hands to have become injured? And hasn't she heard of dish washing gloves?
Old 2021-10-16, 18:52   Link #23
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I really like the show so far but the scene where Yatora comes out of the closet about art to his mom was unintentionally hilarious. For starters, the drawing he gave her looked more like a doodle than a proper drawing (the paintings his mom saw earlier and the art he drew for the club assignment looked a hundred times better), I have a hard time imagining anyone being moved by that. Secondly... just how many times per day does the mom wash the dishes for her hands to have become injured? And hasn't she heard of dish washing gloves?
My impression was it looked so unfinished because he realized he couldn't properly capture in art form all the work his mom puts in in art form, which he realized when he tried to sketch her.
Old 2021-10-16, 19:37   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
My impression was it looked so unfinished because he realized he couldn't properly capture in art form all the work his mom puts in in art form, which he realized when he tried to sketch her.
Bingo, IMHO.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-17, 08:26   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I hadn't thought about that. Good one!

On the other hand, the art he gave Mori didn't look very good either. It feels like his skill is pretty inconsistent. Perhaps they made his assignment look too good in the anime and it therefore didn't reflect his actual level. A year seems extremely short for someone who's barely drawn in his life to become one of the best. Granted, he did have better skills than the average person in the first place.
Old 2021-10-17, 09:16   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
I hadn't thought about that. Good one!

On the other hand, the art he gave Mori didn't look very good either. It feels like his skill is pretty inconsistent. Perhaps they made his assignment look too good in the anime and it therefore didn't reflect his actual level. A year seems extremely short for someone who's barely drawn in his life to become one of the best. Granted, he did have better skills than the average person in the first place.
I wonder if he's just better at drawing objects than he is people. Because his Mori looked more like a loli than she does in real life .
Old 2021-10-17, 16:35   Link #27
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if he's just better at drawing objects than he is people. Because his Mori looked more like a loli than she does in real life .
It is more like he mostly drew (and painted) still life. You can see his drawings/sketchings are mainly those (at approx the 11m30s mark). He is still at that stage where he needs to view what he draws.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-18, 21:25   Link #28
HandofFate

also he probably doesn't know how to draw body proportions, we saw he had trouble with perspective and depth in the beginning, which doesn't really matter when drawing an orange next to eachother

Finished episode 3.

Good episode, the MC is a good PoV for the watcher, like him, i'm pretty clueless about art, so following him learning about actual art making and process, and seeing all these people better than him, and seeing him grow is fun.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2021-10-18 at 22:54.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-19, 01:15   Link #29
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Episode 3 gives us some clarity on who Yuka is. The previous episodes were using they/them pronouns in the subtitles, which I thought was a bit odd given that the girls were saying "Yuka-chan." In this episode, the subtitles used she/her, which (at least to my understanding) is the correct way to refer to someone AMAB who is presenting as female.

Interesting, though, that Yatora refers to her as a "guy" and a "cross-dresser" instead of as a transgirl, and Yuka seems to agree with that description. I didn't realize there was a difference - is that just in Japan, or elsewhere too?

(My teenage nieces have already pointed out that I'm old and behind the times on all the nuances of gender identity, but they give me credit for trying. )
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 00:21   Link #30
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

No, the pacing, stop, this is not right.
The mood is just not there with Ryuji's monologue.
Uggghhh, this and Saihate no Paladin are the shows I look forward to the most, and both shows are tossing the emotion delivery out of the window....

BTW, Ryuji's official Instagram account:
https://www.instagram.com/ryuji_ayuk...=1h5jgw451ib66
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 21:27   Link #31
HandofFate

so episode 4, what is he attending right now?
an art prep lessons to get rdy for entrance exams? What happened to his regular school classes.

Finished episode 4, okay, so they show him in regular school again, and his old buddies, was afraid he threw them away.

Interesting reveals, he's obviously far from being great, but we saw he had a strong core in studying and learning things. Was amusing to see that the other guy who the MC is impressed by was actually intimidated by him.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2021-10-22 at 21:55.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 22:34   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

An art cram school. Huge numbers of Japanese kids go to cram school on top of their regular school.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-23, 07:27   Link #33
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
so episode 4, what is he attending right now?
an art prep lessons to get rdy for entrance exams? What happened to his regular school classes.
Attending Art cram school. Most art classes in high schools are not designed to get you into art universities. They are taught at a level that is a supplementary subject. To get the techniques and perspectives to produce works to qualify for the specialty art courses like oil painting and Japanese painting requires more in-depth studies and practicals that the art cram schools provide and the art classes in high school can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Interesting reveals, he's obviously far from being great, but we saw he had a strong core in studying and learning things. Was amusing to see that the other guy who the MC is impressed by was actually intimidated by him.
When you have been growing up with people calling you a genius and now see someone who is working his darnest and improving fast, there is some intimidation. Yotasuke also feels threatened that Yatora who could have continued and done well in the academic lane switching to the art lane as a threat to one of the very limited places at the Tokyo University of the Arts.
Old 2021-10-23, 08:05   Link #34
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What's the spoiler policy for this thread? I see people talking about episode 4 (and I know episode 5 is also out) when episode 3 just got released on Netflix. I might have to skip discussions for this show to avoid getting spoiled.
Old 2021-10-23, 10:01   Link #35
Frontier

Time for Yatora to attend prep school to get into TUA .

Yuka looked really cute in that apron and in twintails .

Yatosuke seems pretty standoffish and cold, and he's a prodigy on-top of that so there's a lot to envy, but it makes Yatora want to strive to be better even more. And Yatosuke remembered his name, which shows some acknowledgment of Yatora on his part .

It takes all kinds of people when it comes to art...up to and including their teacher, a really tall, exuberant, woman named Oba who seems as cheerful as she is direct and honest, but it seems like she has some good lessons to teach Yatora to improve his art .

Yatora's good at drawing what he sees...but where's the "him" in it? What makes it standout and not just be a copy or imitation? It's fine to start out that way as an artist, they all do, but he needs to find what he enjoys and likes about art so he can really make it his .

Yatora stumbles into Yuka getting dumped...and it turns out it was because Yuka's a boy. It seems like (and this is just my takeaway) at the end of the day Yuka's a boy that likes boys and also enjoys dressing up and looking cute like a girl, and how that lets him get along well with girls (maybe even more than they get along with other girls). But, of course, that doesn't quite conform with Japanese society so Yuka's got it rough .

Of course then he's moved on to a more muscle guy, so at least he didn't let it keep him in a funk .

Seems like Yatora's forming his own kind of friend circle in the art club (although Yatosuke's pretty unwilling), but at the end of the day they may all be rivals in art, especially with a competition coming up .

I want to get to know more about this Kawana girl. Her family seem to be all artists, and high-grade ones as well, and she seems to have an interesting personality...plus looks and legs to die for .
Old 2021-10-23, 19:08   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Considering it's only been six months since he got into art, I'd say Yatora is a genius too. Even Yuka pointed out his sketch didn't get many criticism. When it comes to painting though, that teacher is a bit harsher (or rather, brutally honest), but she means well.

I think Yuka actually has it pretty good, all things considered. Far from ideal obviously, but a boy doing that here would be bullied to hell and back, and sure wouldn't get let down that gently. And I'm going to be honest, I would have reacted the same way that guy did. I mean, just like Yuka can't help the fact he loves men, that guy can't help the fact he loves women.
Old 2021-10-24, 07:44   Link #37
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
What's the spoiler policy for this thread? I see people talking about episode 4 (and I know episode 5 is also out) when episode 3 just got released on Netflix. I might have to skip discussions for this show to avoid getting spoiled.
Technically, Episode 5. Said episode is released. The fansub of it is out as well. The fastest legal English stream is Episode 4. For now, I think those of us who have access to Episode 5 (myself included) have not posted about Episode 5 in here yet. The discussion is now at Episode 4.

EDIT: Combining post.

Quote:
Considering it's only been six months since he got into art, I'd say Yatora is a genius too. Even Yuka pointed out his sketch didn't get many criticism. When it comes to painting though, that teacher is a bit harsher (or rather, brutally honest), but she means well.
More like Yatora's art quality is just pure hard work in practicing and churning out pieces to improve himself. He has drawn a lot of still life before he entered the art cram school. In contrast, Yotasuke is actual genius talent. Compare the marble bust still life that Yotasuke drew out in pencil/charcoal versus Yatora's effort. Now, take into account that it was Yotasuke's first time drawing still life in pencil/charcoal. That 's a whole different level.

What Yatora has is not so much genius but a talent for hard work and focus.
Old 2021-10-24, 07:59   Link #38
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Technically, Episode 5. Said episode is released. The fansub of it is out as well. The fastest legal English stream is Episode 4. For now, I think those of us who have access to Episode 5 (myself included) have not posted about Episode 5 in here yet. The discussion is now at Episode 4.
No, the simulcast is on episode 3. Netflix is two weeks behind.
Old 2021-10-25, 08:04   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watch this show on my TV and find the subtitles remarkably difficult to read. Crunchy uses black outlines around the white text which makes them much more readable. Wish all the services did.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-30, 09:36   Link #40
Frontier

It takes a lot to make a masterpiece. Many elements, layers, and techniques .

Yatora takes a new prep course, thankfully still with Oba, and is intimidated by his new classmates. It takes all kinds in art, both people and techniques .

Kuwana seems like a nice and approachable girl when you get to know her and with the sweet tones of Yume Miyamamoto. She does seem to have a good affinity for art and technique as well and once again makes Yatora realize he needs to look beyond the surface level when it comes to art .

In a contest of art, Yatora braces himself for a low score, but ends up doing surprisingly well even compared to people whom he feels are better in certain areas than he is. Kuwana even gets 1st place, but she's not happy about it because the person who gets 1st place is jinxed not to get into TUA. Pretty rotten jinx .

I guess if you're going to a prep school to get into an art college, said prep school would probably teach you to make the kind of art that gets you into said college, but to Yotasuke, that's stifling him and his art .

When Yatora is doubting himself and his art again, there is Saeki-sensei there to tell him it's all art and the end of the day and to push him to checking out TUA's culture festival .

Yatora attends with his buddies and they get a taste of the college life (and college girls ), which is important...and then Yatora gets drunk off coffee, which with his disposition and personality is kind of hilarious .

Yatora meets Yotasuke's mom and Yotasuke who is also there to check out the TUA art display, although neither feels it's what they were expecting .

Yotasuke finally expresses his feelings about Yatora, that he doesn't like him and feels like he doesn't even need to be doing art with the kind of person he is, so why is he even bothering? Especially when Yotasuke probably feels he's more serious and committed to art by comparison. Which burns Yatora up even more, especially when it means Yotasuke doesn't respect him or see him as a worthy artist .

Yatora channels his frustrations and anger into his art, trying to prove everyone wrong, and even Oba is kind of intimidated by it. But she also reveals that "exam art" isn't even really a thing anymore, because there is no "cheap trick" to get you into an art college, and that Yatora's achievements are because his art is good and not because they fit a certain parameter of art .

Oba's raising three boys? Wow. Y'know, she does kind of come off as motherly in her own way, even though as an art teacher there's only so much she can do (and not enough for Yotasuke, at any rate), but she still wants to see what her students can achieve in the future .