AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 108 70.13%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 17.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 7.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-19, 17:49   Link #181
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Humnn, I enjoyed the previous episode more. I think the impact of Kittan's final moments was probably ruined for me by that singing. I didn't mind it later on, but it was inadequate for that moment. Perhaps it would have been better if it were more muted, or if it had greater instrumental accompaniment. And damn that vibrato.
For me, it was the BGM which made that scene all the more epix cmon how can you appreciate the death of someone soo gar without a tribute song?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-19, 18:37   Link #182
Glitch87

that song made the episode... it's an amazing song that totally fits the show and kittans death scene so well.. i could not imagine those last two minutes without the opera singing. you can have your opinion that it didnt fit well but you'll be in the minority.
Old 2007-09-20, 12:05   Link #183
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

I absolutely loved the song, and although I do admit the "row row" did let me down a little, I thought it was great how the music from the commercial break scenes was the same song.
Old 2007-09-20, 17:24   Link #184
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
For me, it was the BGM which made that scene all the more epix cmon how can you appreciate the death of someone soo gar without a tribute song?
I appreciated Kamina's death well enough, and the deaths of Zoushi, Kidd, Ailac, et al--they didn't have a tribute song. But I have little appreciation for vibrato, sopranos, and opera. >_> Give me a full orchestral BGM reaching a crescendo during his last attack, instead of cutting out the instrumentation and introducing a singer who barely carried a melody.
Old 2007-09-20, 19:16   Link #185
Coreyart

Theres one thing that bothers me about next episode 26 preview. If that is indeed the kamina as a kid, who is telling the story? Who would actually know of Kamina as a child in the first place? Only kamina right? Hmmm Unless....

Wait....how is Nia an anti spiral when Helix King made her? That also boggles me.

Last edited by Coreyart; 2007-09-20 at 20:07.
Old 2007-09-20, 23:00   Link #186
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyart View Post
Theres one thing that bothers me about next episode 26 preview. If that is indeed the kamina as a kid, who is telling the story? Who would actually know of Kamina as a child in the first place? Only kamina right? Hmmm Unless....

Wait....how is Nia an anti spiral when Helix King made her? That also boggles me.
anti-spirals coded a "messenger" into the spiral genepoll (played Xenogears? sorta like that) Nia is decidedly a human, with the spiral genes, even if she was created.

so either:
a) it was random chance and Nia just happened to be the unlucky winner.
b) Lord Genome knew about the messenger genes and deliberately made them manifest in his princesses. After all, why feel bad about getting rid of someone if you think they aren't a real personality, but just the enemy in disguise?
Old 2007-09-21, 00:33   Link #187
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Lord Genome's body was probably a cyborg/android one built by the Anti-Spirals to keep him immortal. Notice his spiral energy is red when for everyone else it is green, but when he's cloned as the Bio-Computer his energy is green again. That could be due to contamination of his spiral energy.

If Genome's makeup was simmilar to Nia's, with a mixture of spiral genes and whatever the Anti-Spirals are made of, that would have continued on into Nia, making her the next messenger.
Old 2007-09-21, 02:27   Link #188
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

It's not fair!

Since I watched this episode four days ago, I've watched several other really good episodes of other anime shows, but they didn't quite have such an impact on me. Gurren Lagann really set the bar pretty high. It's so good, it's almost unfair to other good shows.

I feel like even the final two episodes cannot outshine ep. 25 in my heart. I really hope I am wrong, so that I have something to look forward to.

The music is what made Kittan's death scene really special, even though the action sequence was epic enough by itself. I was practically shivering on the edge of my seat during the final transformation sequence. Simon's feelings pretty much mirrored my own.

One thing's for sure. Unless they really really screw up the final two episodes, this show will definitely go down in my top 5 anime list.
Old 2007-09-21, 13:06   Link #189
LunaNeko

Gave this episode a 9.
Points were taken down for: Yoko's Kiss of Death, come on, its not funny anymore. God awful music with "Fight da pawar" and opera lady, Ugh! And Simon lame glasses. Sorry, those just don't do it for me. Everything else was epic as usual! Now I pray to god Gainax won't screw up the end.

Is next episode the last or we have one more? Im so confused...
Old 2007-09-21, 15:32   Link #190
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaNeko View Post
Gave this episode a 9.
Points were taken down for: Yoko's Kiss of Death, come on, its not funny anymore. God awful music with "Fight da pawar" and opera lady, Ugh! And Simon lame glasses. Sorry, those just don't do it for me. Everything else was epic as usual! Now I pray to god Gainax won't screw up the end.

Is next episode the last or we have one more? Im so confused...
2 more episodes, 26 and 27.
Old 2007-09-21, 21:11   Link #191
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The funny thing is, the haters will continue to toss dirt on Gainax every chance they get - when Gainax just keeps proving over and over again how they can elevate their game like no other studio. When you talk about a conventional anime combining so many different elements brilliantly, this one has to be near the top of the list. I don't recall seeing so many perfect 10's in an episode poll.
Old 2007-09-21, 22:16   Link #192
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaNeko View Post
Gave this episode a 9.
Points were taken down for: Yoko's Kiss of Death, come on, its not funny anymore.
Yoko's?? It should be Kittan's Kiss of Death since HE initiated the liplock.

Old 2007-09-22, 00:11   Link #193
LunaNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

True, but you get my point...it was Yoko, guy, feelings involved - guy's dead now, lol. Maybe she should rethink things and go for immortal guys like Viral, lol.
Old 2007-09-22, 07:45   Link #194
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
But I have little appreciation for vibrato, sopranos, and opera. >_> Give me a full orchestral BGM reaching a crescendo during his last attack, instead of cutting out the instrumentation and introducing a singer who barely carried a melody.
Thats your problem then ~ i love opera! (the good ones anyway)

And i disagree about the singer be it the rap or the opera singer. I thought that it was a nice blend of themes to have two completely different moods overlapping each other
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

I still blame yoko >.>

*cough*blackwidow*cough*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-22, 14:56   Link #195
mistyken

well this is kinda off topic, but i wonder how does the word "GAR or "GARlock" come from? if i've not mistaken, i think it's a term "used towards male characters and individuals who are so overwhelmingly manly that your own masculinity is absolutely *buried*, leaving you naught but a whimpering, swooning girl-child before them." but no matter how deep i dig on google or yahoo, i cant find any clue about where does this magnificent word derive from. can someone shine some light on this place??
Old 2007-09-22, 15:42   Link #196
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyken View Post
well this is kinda off topic, but i wonder how does the word "GAR or "GARlock" come from? if i've not mistaken, i think it's a term "used towards male characters and individuals who are so overwhelmingly manly that your own masculinity is absolutely *buried*, leaving you naught but a whimpering, swooning girl-child before them." but no matter how deep i dig on google or yahoo, i cant find any clue about where does this magnificent word derive from. can someone shine some light on this place??
...this question probably been answered several times on the board already.

GAR

Widely considered to be /a/'s most famous meme. GAR, also spelt Gar or gar, is a term used to describe an anime character that is the epitome of what it means to be manly and badass. Individuals of this standard are as rare as they are awesome, emotionally overwhelming those watching to the point of orgasming in surprise and excitement or sobbing uncontrollably in a flush of admiration.

It has been described as a neologism of the Latin "virtus", an ancient (and forgotten) Roman concept glorifying men who strive for a life of courage, self-sacrifice, cunning, overcoming the impossible and honoring those who die a worthy death. Virtus for the Romans and Greeks was not sexual love (eros), but a deep respect requiring a higher sense of admiration and comeraderie neglected in the modern era.

Originally applied solely to Archer, a character from Fate/stay night, due to the harmony of the two words (Gay for ARcher). Allegedly derived through a typo by an Anonymous expressing love/admiration for Archer after his gutsy last stand in episode fourteen of Fate/stay night. That Anonymous intended to say, "I'm Gay for Archer", but mistakenly typed "I'm Gar for Archer".

Given the context, which was a turn-around from going gay for effeminate male characters (see: Bridget), the term "gar" immediately gained manly/badass connotations, quickly catching on with Anonymous after a short period of forcing. A common phrase in /a/ at the time was, "You are gar for badasses but gay for traps". After a while, the word's meaning started to become objective, as opposed to subjective. Rather than saying "I'm gar for Archer", people began to say "Archer is GAR", usually in capital letters.

GARlock -
GAR + Harlock :

Harlock -
Space Pirate Captain Harlock) is a fictional character created by manga artist Leiji Matsumoto.

Harlock is the archetypical romantic hero, a space pirate with an individualist philosophy of life. He is as noble as he is taciturn, rebellious, stoically fighting against totalitarian regimes, whether they be earthborn or alien. In his own words, he "fight[s] for no one's sake... only [...] for something deep in [his] heart".
Old 2007-09-22, 16:54   Link #197
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I still blame yoko >.>
You blame her, when all she did was accept his feelings --- knowing what he was planning to do?

Ok.

As for the BGM --- it makes sense that people are going to have mixed feelings about it, when you place together two different genre's of music. The piano piece worked perfectly along with the hug --- and i feel the same way for the opera add-in during the main transformation into Simon's speech.
Old 2010-06-19, 18:22   Link #198
kitten320

Huh? Why so many people are against the Kittan/Yoko idea? It was quiet clear what was coming the moment he started to talk about children.

And if their kiss is random, then how Kamina's isn't? I don't remember him showing any attraction towards Yoko, he was mostly obliviouse and kiss also came out of blue. So I really don't get the complains I keep seeing here and in other places 0_o

After all it was not Yoko who kissed Kittan here like with Kamina.
Old 2010-06-20, 22:08   Link #199
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Huh? Why so many people are against the Kittan/Yoko idea? It was quiet clear what was coming the moment he started to talk about children.

And if their kiss is random, then how Kamina's isn't? I don't remember him showing any attraction towards Yoko, he was mostly obliviouse and kiss also came out of blue. So I really don't get the complains I keep seeing here and in other places 0_o

After all it was not Yoko who kissed Kittan here like with Kamina.
Kittan's attraction to Yoko is pretty one sided. It's like a guy saying a girl is hot. We say that about many girls. And actually Kamina did find Yoko attractive. In the first episode, Kamina is checking her out haha. People don't want to see Yoko with Kittan because she was with Kamina. I guess people in a way would like to believe that Yoko and Kamina were like soul mates or something, and because he died, she can't move on. At this point, I'm not quite sure Yoko fell in love with Kittan at all. She simply accepted what he had done, he was about to die anyway. However, I think that if Kittan had lived through it, they would of gotten together.