AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 5 9.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 25.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 27.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 17.65%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 15.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-07, 05:08   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 19 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hanasaku Iroha, Episode 19.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-08-07, 09:59   Link #2
Midonin
Last Engage

HSI 19 - Princess + Maid = ?

I've always believed that unless it's in an alternate universe, nothing is really filler. Characters, ideally, are always growing. Not necessarily forward, but upward or inward. Many plot threads from previous episodes came back to help enhance this one - Nako seemed more self-confident, Yuina's attitude towards work had changed a little bit (sure a festival may not be "work", but it is work), the outfits from the past, and so on and so forth. World building is one of the most important aspects of fiction, and without it, this episode would've lacked the nuance it did.

That said, this looks to be Minko's time in the spotlight. Her use as a foil to Ohana has always been clear, but now it's clearer than ever. She seems so logical in her approach towards her work that there appears to be a dry kind of passion. Not the kind that Jiromaru would write about at least. (Being able to compare Jiromaru and Taketo, now that there's a second ero writer on the field, is an interesting exercise.)

I rarely comment on Ko-related happenings, but Ohana's fantasy of him in a maid outfit was interesting. And Beanman has a son. I expect Son of Beanman (or maybe Grandson of Beanman, if he also exists) to be as cool as the original.

Mostly calm this week - next comes the storm.
Old 2011-08-07, 10:53   Link #3
hoarfrost

Ultimately, Minko's just got the same problem as Yosuke. Even when you're in the right, there's a proper way to go about things. The way the girl was using the cafe as her own personal vehicle was ridiculous but sometimes humoring people is better than leading to a total organizational breakdown.

Although I definitely empathize with Minko here, having been in a group assignment where someone suggest something quite offensive to my sensibility, dealing with it in a non-condescending manner takes a bit of finesse.
Old 2011-08-07, 11:16   Link #4
Utsuro no Hako

Wait, what's this? Do I detect advancement in a major character's arc? Will there be an actual development in Minchi and Tohru's relationship? Could the next episode resolve a storyline?

Ah, who am I kidding. Tohru will get two minutes of screentime next week where he'll make an offhand comment that makes Minchi angry, but instead of saying anything she'll just make a mistake and burn herself or cut her finger.
Old 2011-08-07, 14:11   Link #5
revive4563

Minko's aloofness is awesome as always. Yep, your classmates of meddler are annoying.

Also, Yuina's weirdness is great as always.

Oh, and Ohana's dream is surreal always.
Old 2011-08-07, 15:25   Link #6
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
Although I definitely empathize with Minko here, having been in a group assignment where someone suggest something quite offensive to my sensibility, dealing with it in a non-condescending manner takes a bit of finesse.
OTOH, Minko wasn't quite being honest in her professional assessment about what was wrong with what the girl wanted to do. Minko's one to talk about mixing love and buisness together.
Old 2011-08-07, 16:00   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest I think both Minchi and the girl were a little overboard here. The cultural festival is supposed to be all about fun and I think Minchi takes it too seriously. But I think the girl was being a little bit selfish as well. And it looks like neither was willing to compromise so...

The ending was pure comedy though. As was Ohana's dream about Ko.
Old 2011-08-07, 16:12   Link #8
marcosius
Anime Critic
*Author

Nice ep, I like the new Nakochi
It seems the next will be about Minko, can't wait!!!!
Old 2011-08-07, 16:32   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally, Ko makes his GLORIOUS return... kind of . Is there a single male in this anime that won't be ridiculed at least once? Tohru is the last bastion of masculinity in this show. Don't disappoint me, bro!

There were interesting bits of info distilled here and there in this episode, the most shocking being the revelation that Beanman's got a son. I guess that means we were wrong about him being gay (although it's not impossible he "awakened" after getting married once; happened to someone I knew). Enishi is apparently finally going out with Takako, so we can kiss goodbye to another theory - I'm talking about Enishi x Tomoe. I'm actually relieved as I wouldn't have wanted the awesome Tomoe to end up with such a pathetic man.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable episode. It was the first time in a while the plot seemed to be making progress. Ohana, Yuina (gosh, she is so vain ) and Nako were all very funny in this one. I'm pretty intrigued by the new character (the painter), but I doubt she'll have much relevance, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be honest I think both Minchi and the girl were a little overboard here. The cultural festival is supposed to be all about fun and I think Minchi takes it too seriously. But I think the girl was being a little bit selfish as well. And it looks like neither was willing to compromise so...
I can understand why that other girl was so frustrated. She got talked down by Minko, the one who "stole" the boy she's loved for years in her eyes. That had to be tough to swallow. Minko was in the wrong this time in my opinion. Why is it that she's so fired up about cooking for the festival? Is it because cooking is always srs business for her? No, that's because she knows Tohru will be coming to see her. She wants to impress him with her cooking, and is essentially intending to do exactly what that other girl wanted to. Her speech was very hypocritical, and I think she realized it after the fact. That's why she'll most likely decide to cook omerice next week.
Old 2011-08-07, 17:33   Link #10
Grey

Ren's choke response at the start was great. And Maid Kou was funny too.

Minko has to work on that hypocrisy.
Old 2011-08-07, 17:34   Link #11
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
OTOH, Minko wasn't quite being honest in her professional assessment about what was wrong with what the girl wanted to do. Minko's one to talk about mixing love and buisness together.
She doesn't sacrifice work for it, though. When she was told that the dish she wanted to do (broiled fish) cannot be done, she didn't take it badly at all.
Old 2011-08-07, 17:43   Link #12
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

So it looks like Minko's character arc next. So far so good, at least compared to the other failed arcs. At this point, it really seems like Tohru just is incapable of noticing Minko at all. I mean, he even notices the changes in Nako, but can't notice that Minko, who he's worked beside for a while, hasn't changed?

A lot of minor things also popped up in this episode that seem like they'll definitely come back eventually, like Beanman's son, Tomoe's teasing about Kou, and Ohana's dream about maid-Kou. I don't even want to think about where they're going to go with this, because it always seems to do something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
She doesn't sacrifice work for it, though. When she was told that the dish she wanted to do (broiled fish) cannot be done, she didn't take it badly at all.
Even if she isn't sacrificing work, you could say her motivation for doing the work is because of love. So it's still sort of the same thing, she's mixing work and love together.
Old 2011-08-07, 17:57   Link #13
Peanutbutter

What a almost-perfect way to drum things up before hell breaks loose.

Looking forward to next week.

The dream was wtf though. Does Ohana subconsciously wants Kou to wear one of those?
Old 2011-08-07, 18:18   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yawn.

Only HanaIro could turn this trifle into a two-parter...
Old 2011-08-07, 18:29   Link #15
ReddyRedWolf

I think I heard Firetruck loving Elsie in excited Ohana. (Yes same Seiyuu I know)
Old 2011-08-07, 19:07   Link #16
bluescissors

Ohana's Bonbori dreams have been used as a foreshadowing tool. Ex. She dreamt about choosing Kissuiso over Kou in episode 10 and it happened in episode 13's temple scene when she yells out "Ja ne" to Kou. I think her latest dream about Kou is another foreshadowing. Some time before this series ends Kou will move to Yunosagi. Who knows, Kou could be Beanman's grandson. Or maybe Ohana's wish is for she and Kou to be together and the fox goddess will grant it during the Bonbori festival. Remember what Enishi said - only hardworking people will have their wishes granted - and I can't think of a better example of hardworking than choosing work over your man.
Old 2011-08-07, 19:38   Link #17
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice job by Ohana to use the old waitress outfits for the cafe. Lol what was with her dream. Best part was when Tomoe brought up Ko's name and Ohana went on about being a Shijima girl, but Nako pointed out that she's not a Shijima girl from her name.

Lol Minchi was against in until Tohru said he'd drop by. That fight was a little too much for me. THough doesn't Minchi always screw up when thinking about Tohru and cooking. Look at that knife scene in the beginning where Ren got scared.

Lol Nako had to do all the work herself. Best name ever for a piece of art.
Old 2011-08-07, 19:47   Link #18
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescissors View Post
... Who knows, Kou could be Beanman's grandson. ....
I wholeheartedly support this speculation. It seemed odd that we got to hear him get refereed to by his real name and learned he has a son in this episode.
Old 2011-08-07, 19:55   Link #19
ReddyRedWolf

While it a bit hypocritical given Minko is motivated by a guy herself she does have point.

What I see is a bunch of girls who for the life of them does not have clue how to cook. It wasn't as if Minko volunteered they forced her to be the cook.
Old 2011-08-07, 19:57   Link #20
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
So in the last quarter of the series, and they send out... Minichi. What? In this clutch moment, you send her of all people out?

Well, Minichi has grown a bit during the series, upgrading from completely insufferable to Hiromi-lite, complete with the excessive apologies, detached personality and timely insults. Of course, Minko has much to learn from her predecessor, and that's style and grace. But hey, can this episode truly bring out the hater in her?

Sadly no. The whole argument about omelet rice or w/e just made me laugh. And sadly, they could not overcome the main problem with this character, and that is that anything serious involving her becomes unintentionally hilarious. There just seems to be many missed opportunity here.

On the other hand, Minko's rage shows us a little bit of her own frustration and hopefully she will learn from her weakness. She doesn't have a penis in this series, so she has a chance next episode.

Also, why the fuck is Yuina so annoying? It's like as if she's mad the camera's off her.

Also Einshi and Jinomaru showed up to fail again; Tomoe decides she's had enough of this shit, if that's all the screen time she gets.

Well, I did laugh at Ohana's weird fantasy, man I'm not even sure if that fantasy is even hers, rather it's the writers.

Overall, this episode had god awful pacing (VERY SLOW at parts) but at least it had funny points and opens up a chance for Minko to finally redeem herself once and for all.

I'll be nice and say 6/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-08-07 at 22:41.
Closed Thread