AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kashimashi

Notices

Old 2006-03-13, 04:42   Link #481
Nemuru

Im curious and wonder if this series will end at 12 or will it end around 24. With the new manga release it will be a shame if it finishes at 12.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 18:23   Link #482
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Is this really the end???

I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know whether they said Ep12 was the final ep in the preview from Ep11. I see people posting things that say Ep12 is the end, though. It will be sad to see this show go...

So - any predictions for the finale?

Will it be Hazumu/Yasuna? Hazumu/Tomari? Hazumu/Asuta? Hazumu/Ayuki? Or... maybe Yasuna and Tomari ditch Hazumu and run off together, leaving Hazumu to pair up with Jan-Puu. Or they all move in together and have a group marriage in Malibu.

I was thinking they were heading for a three-way relationship (and the manga may still do so), until we got to Ep11 and Ayuki's speech about the two plants trying to grow in the single flower pot. (Coincidentally, there was an article at Slate.com last week about the polygamy debate that had me thinking about this show.) Now I think Hazumu will end up with Yasuna. Tomari may be Hazumu's childhood friend, but it's been obvious over the course of the series that Yasuna has more in common with her. I think Hazumu will pledge to stay by Yasuna's side, even if Yasuna never gets her sight back - which will be what gives Yasuna her sight back. I'm not sure whether Hazumu will be changed back into a boy - I'd rather she stay a girl, and I think she'd prefer that, too. But you never know.

On a side note, will Namiko finally land Sora? He says his people don't know anything about love, and there's Namiko waving an opportunity for him to get some firsthand experience right in his face. Will he notice?

Anyone else have any ideas?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 22:30   Link #483
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy
I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know whether they said Ep12 was the final ep in the preview from Ep11. I see people posting things that say Ep12 is the end, though. It will be sad to see this show go...
Hmmm....it looks like episode 12 might be the last. Both ANN and AnimeNfo have it listed as a 12 episode show. ANN lists the twelfth episode title as "Love Begins At Last" (やがて恋がはじまる). It will be sad to see this show go. They'll have to cram so much into the last episode.

/Edit: As far as guessing the end...not sure. Having only understood the fan-subs up to Ep 9, I'm not really sure what's going to happen. I'm not sure if they're heading for a 3-way relationship. Maybe the space ship will crash back into Hazumu and they'll re-create him as a boy and the show will essentially start from zero again.

Yasuna seems to be in the lead, but at the end of Episode 11, it seemed like she was off to do something. Maybe bring them all together (all three). Maybe not. From the looks for Ep. 11, Yasuna seems incapable of sharing Hazumu with Tomari, but then, that was all from a misunderstanding, so...

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-03-27 at 23:04.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 00:41   Link #484
hailstorm

3 Lesbians accepting one another and live happily ever after. I just don't see any other way to end it without spoiling the series. The earlier spisodes are about accepting Hazumu as a female and about Tomari and Yasuna overcoming their mutual animosity. If they stretch the anime series any longer it'll become a drag.

Maybe due to some alien experimental quirks, Hazumu can turn back into a boy temporarily sometimes. Something like Ranma. Then for the first time, Tomari and Yasuna can love Hazumu as a male: Tomari does so with her love since childhood, Yasuna does so with her love since the first sight.

Love Begins At Last... Finally.

Great material for 'Futanari' hentai doujinshi.
hailstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 01:49   Link #485
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

How about ... 3 *people* accepting one another and living happily (especially since one of them has the unusual status of having memories of being male). The story isn't about orientation so much as people. Yasuna can't see males (even her father) but can see Hazumu whether as male or female ... Tomari just kind of expected to marry a guy (hopefully Hazumu) and has to adjust to the idea that expectation is going to have to curve if she really desires Hazumu.
Asuta had to come to terms with his buddy suddenly being "gone" and replaced with an attractive girl who had his buddy's memories. That could have been very interesting (too bad the anime dropkicked it early).
Old 2006-06-07, 18:29   Link #486
misakichii

well what can i say? i still haven't seen all of this anime yet but if he didn't return back to his real body than that would kinda ruin things for me. that would totally make it seems like this is a lesbian anime especially with that girly attitude of his.

but my question is, before i continue watching the anime i like to know, did he go back to his original form?
misakichii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 13:19   Link #487
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by misakichii
well what can i say? i still haven't seen all of this anime yet but if he didn't return back to his real body than that would kinda ruin things for me. that would totally make it seems like this is a lesbian anime especially with that girly attitude of his.

but my question is, before i continue watching the anime i like to know, did he go back to his original form?
Well, you asked for it..

Spoiler:

And personally, it's all the same to me if he did or did not. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with two girls loving each other, which is why I'm glad this show treats gender roles so indifferently, putting love before anything else.
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 13:21   Link #488
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

(Come to think of it, my previous spoiler bit was absolutely useless! Whoops. )
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 05:20   Link #489
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by misakichii

Why did you start watching Kashimashi? The title is ~girl meets girl~ after all.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 12:47   Link #490
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The show scores points for exploring the idea of how people relate to each other - what combination of physicality, emotions, and intellect is involved. If your best *guy* friend became a girl (down to her DNA), would you have a problem carrying the relationship further and why? That's the dilemma that Tomari and Asuta face.

Unfortunately, the series trips up or falls flat in a few aspects but the "what if" psychological scenario is still very interesting.
Old 2007-02-18, 00:51   Link #491
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
OK, so I've seen the entire series plus the OVA. But what struck me, particularly with the events in the OVA, was that perhaps Hazumu did not choose Yasuna really out of "love" per se, but out of "pity"? I mean, even Yasuna admitted her selfishness because of her condition, that she had to rely too much on Hazumu, who in turn was too kind to leave a helpless Yasuna on her own and go to the one who truly understands her (Tomari). Which is what exactly happened!

And weren't they setting this up even in Episode 12 as they ended with Yasuna and Hazumu saying..."You know..." ?
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 13:29   Link #492
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowClone View Post
OK, so I've seen the entire series plus the OVA. But what struck me, particularly with the events in the OVA, was that perhaps Hazumu did not choose Yasuna really out of "love" per se, but out of "pity"? I mean, even Yasuna admitted her selfishness because of her condition, that she had to rely too much on Hazumu, who in turn was too kind to leave a helpless Yasuna on her own and go to the one who truly understands her (Tomari). Which is what exactly happened!

And weren't they setting this up even in Episode 12 as they ended with Yasuna and Hazumu saying..."You know..." ?
Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. I do think Hazumu was in love with Yasuna, and had been since the very start of the show. But, Hazumu also came to realize that she was in love with Tomari; she just hadn't realized it because she had always been there in his/her life. When she realized that she was in love with both girls but could only choose one, she chose the one who needed her the most, and that was Yasuna. I think "pity" is a bit strong, because Hazumu did indeed love Yasuna, but that certainly helped in her decision at the time. But with that choice made, Yasuna was finally able to find the inner-strength she had never had before (and be "free" as she put it), so Yasuna was no longer the girl who most needed Hazumu's love. That's why she broke up with Hazumu, and pushed her towards Tomari, recognizing that Hazumu loved both.

If you want to look even further back, consider that even in the infamous Yasuna classroom kiss scene, Hazumu's comment was "I have to accept this, because she's been so hurt..." This is basically the same as what contributed to his choice in episode 11/12. That isn't to say that she didn't love Yasuna, but her cirumstances definitely tipped the scales in her favour in Hazumu's mind. But rightfully, the show resolved the inbalance by showing that Hazumu's love gave both Yasuna and Tomari the strength to move on, and that's true to the entire show's larger theme about love. So, yeah -- the whole show was definitely setup to be this way. It was hinted in episode 12, but was actually part of the framework all along.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 20:31   Link #493
JediNight
キズランダム

Holy necrobump, Batman! ;D But I wanted to make some comments having just watched the OVA as well. Overall I thought Kashimashi was what I put in the "enjoyable" category. It's not great, and it's not awful, but it was worth 1 watch through.

My biggest disappointment I guess is just that I was hoping for something a bit deeper, instead it was fairly lighthearted and avoided some things that would have been interesting to explore. I don't know how much you can hold that against the series, but *shrug* On the plus side to that -- they get kudos for Hazumu not pulling some of the cliche scenarios that usually happen.

As for the characters:
Of course the humor in Hazumu is that she just sorta completely falls into the new role without barely losing a step. Kinda like "well I'm a girl now, gotta play the part" .... granted they make excessive strides in Ep1 to show that Hazumu is really really girly to begin with.

Ayuki on one hand is a very good friend ... she's always around to lend a hand, or a shoulder to cry on. But what really disappointed me was that her character is never developed. She just has a very small token amount of development in that 1 episode that just basically explains why they won't really make her part of the story. "My name is Ayuki, I tend bar, and I listen." =D (points if you get the joke)

Yasuna ... annoys me. At some points I just want to slap her for being a selfish bitch, and then others you feel sorry for her situation and can see why she may have acted that way. After refusing Hazumu initially, then she comes back right away after Hazumu is a girl... She should have come clean about her problems right away.

Then at the end you have the very convenient "cure" to her condition which leads to her dumping Hazumu again. I guess I sorta agree with her reasons behind it as well, but she still comes across very selfish in immediately refusing Hazumu after she cures her. Plus points from the POV that she didn't lead Hazumu on then dump her later.

The OVA I consider semi-canon. Some stuff obviously happens that helps to seal up the plot nicely. Namely solving the love triangle far better than I thought they would be able to. The whole Xmas stuff and the "marriage ceremony" was pure pandering, but it was fun at least. Some characters act fairly out of character in parts, especially Sora-sensei suddenly coming back to Namiko and kissing her at the end ... did he cure his species then? They never really resolve that ... he just sees that Hazumu magically cures her by saying she chooses her, then takes off. Granted the motives behind choosing Yasuna are very suspect due to the illness.

I'm rambling now, but the one thing I find really funny about this whole thing is, they have all that fantastic technology and they have males/females -- yet they could only bring Hazumu back as a girl? =D
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 22:23   Link #494
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I tend to agree with most of the stuff you mentioned (except that I liked Yasuna). I thought the OVA sucked completely, but it did serve its purpose of resolving the story, which was extremely necessary after that 'WTF ambiguous' ending of episode 12.
The essential bits of Ayuki's character could have easily been rolled into another character's personality (maybe Sora-sensei's), and Namiko was just plain useless and annoying. I found Yasuna's yurivision a bit silly at first, as I thought it was just an excuse to get the good girl-on-girl fun rolling quick, but I liked the way they brought it around in the end.
I think the quickest way to sum up the series would be to say that if the whole series felt like the last three or four episodes, we'd have had a serious winner. The "humor" was quite intrusive at times, and characters seem to be suffering from Alzheimer's a little too much (I'm looking at you, Asuta) during the more lighthearted moments, but I was quite impressed once it kicked into drama mode. I saw a good number of love triangles when I was growing up (read: over the last five or six years ), and was even on the losing end of one, and I believed every bit of the way the whole thing played out here. For anyone who has been fortunate enough to not get themselves mixed up in this kind of thing, I can say that the way it happens in Kashimashi is very much how it happens in reality - especially when you're dealing with indecisive people like Hazumu. This is why I watched it, and I was not disappointed in this regard. I just think some of the other stuff could have been done better. I would have especially liked more development on Asuta beyond what we got at the beach (good stuff) and 'OMG my friend is teh hawt!!1,' but apparently there's a manga around somewhere, so maybe I'll have a look at that.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 04:07   Link #495
JediNight
キズランダム

Well I don't hate Yasuna, but you have to agree that from a certain angle she comes off as just using people for her own needs then setting them aside when she no longer has a use for them. Not in a meanspirited way, but it happens nonetheless.

My big gripe with the "cure" (only reinforced in the OVA) is that it's all too convenient, and not very realistic even from within the show's level of reality. Okay so she's miraculously cured after Hazumu chooses her. Then she immediately says thats great, but I need to find my own way. What if Hazumu then said something after that to hurt her feelings again? Or anyone else for that matter? She could easily regress again IMHO. Yet somehow this 1 moment with Hazumu has had her see the light and she will never have problems with it ever again... right...

Kashimashi falls into the trap of adding cliche humor and throwaway characters/scenarios to raise viewership via pandering. The sad thing is they are probably right -- the amount of fans added thru pandering is a lot of times more than they would get by just having a good story. I've sadly seen fanservice pandering ruin a lot of otherwise good animes in the last few years =\
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 17:13   Link #496
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Well I don't Yasuna, but you have to agree that from a certain angle she comes off as just using people for her own needs then setting them aside when she no longer has a use for them. Not in a meanspirited way, but it happens nonetheless.

My big gripe with the "cure" (only reinforced in the OVA) is that it's all too convenient, and not very realistic even from within the show's level of reality. Okay so she's miraculously cured after Hazumu chooses her. Then she immediately says thats great, but I need to find my own way. What if Hazumu then said something after that to hurt her feelings again? Or anyone else for that matter? She could easily regress again IMHO. Yet somehow this 1 moment with Hazumu has had her see the light and she will never have problems with it ever again... right...
It seemed to me that her illness played off her self-esteem quite heavily. "This person isn't going to like me, so I'll just pretend they don't exist" was how I read it. Once she realized that she can in fact see everyone is she just makes the effort, it removed that element of futility that she had before, so that even if tragedy should befall her again, she'll be able to bounce back. Basically, exactly what she said about finally having the strength to stand on her own.
But yeah, it did seem like the recovery was just a little fast.

Quote:
Kashimashi falls into the trap of adding cliche humor and throwaway characters/scenarios to raise viewership via pandering. The sad thing is they are probably right -- the amount of fans added thru pandering is a lot of times more than they would get by just having a good story. I've sadly seen fanservice pandering ruin a lot of otherwise good animes in the last few years =\
It is a sad thing, indeed. This show certainly is an odd mix, as the good stuff is quite good, but the bad stuff is also quite bad. In a way, I suppose it succeeded in having something for everyone, which raises viewership (I'm still amazed it got licensed), but it also means that it'll only be something that a lot of people will 'like,' as opposed to something that sticks to its guns and draws a smaller, dedicated fanbase.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 12:46   Link #497
Blackstream

This whole post is a spoiler, but as no one else is using tags, I won't either.

Well, I read wikipedia before watching this series, and it said that up till episode 9 it followed the manga very closely and after that it diverged. And watching the series, you can actually feel the break away from the manga. Right about where the break is, all the carefully built up relationships just fall to shit.

Personally, with the anime, I would have prefered they ended it at episode 12 just before the ending where Yasuna decides to walk her own path again. It just took away from the power of Hazuma finally making a choice, to have the girl say, "Thanks for choosing me, and thanks for curing me, but go ahead and do your thing with the other girl now."

Also, I think the ending in the OAV was a little.... off. Hazuma running back to Tomari saying she wanted to be by her side now was almost a little cold after rejecting her (Tomari even says as much), and I'm surprised Tomari went along with it. With as bruised as their relationship was, I would have expected them to have to rebuild it over many months, but I guess they'd have needed another season for that and they only had 30 minutes.

Anyways, they had to do with 4 episodes, what the manga is gunna do with who knows how many volumes, so I can't blame them for rushing things here and there. Overall, I'm looking forward to buying the manga to get the 'real' ending. I hope Hazuma ends up with Tomari in the end as that's who I believe should end up together in the end (which means I'm happy with the ending of the OAV but not the execution). I just can't feel empathy for Yasuna. If it wasn't for the whole "can't see people" thing, I probably wouldn't care for her as a character at all.
Blackstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 13:12   Link #498
glainfach
One of the Unlost

Send a message via AIM to glainfach Send a message via MSN to glainfach Send a message via Yahoo to glainfach
I'm kind of hoping Hazumu gets over both of these girls and after a few more months of being a girl herself realizes what a nice guy Asuta is. The Anime really only covers the first couple of months in this new girl's life. He didn't show homosexual tendencies before the transformation, why should she do so once Yasuna has dumped her again and Tomari's too pissed to care.

Heck, Hazumu probably hasn't had time to truly feel like a woman yet anyway. When that day arrives I hope she'll find comfort in Asuta's waiting arms. The guy deserves it after all the drop kicks he's taken from Tomari and we know he's interested.
glainfach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 14:46   Link #499
Blackstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by glainfach View Post
I'm kind of hoping Hazumu gets over both of these girls and after a few more months of being a girl herself realizes what a nice guy Asuta is.
Asuta's character had a lot of potential in the anime, but he pretty much only served as a perverted comedic relief character. He's supposedly best friends with Hazuma, but we never really see any of that. I'm hoping the manga is better.

Also, in order for Hazuma to get over both of the girls, she'd kinda have to dump Tomari. After the emotional rollercoaster she put tomari through, if Hazuma pulled a stunt like that, that'd be it for their relationship, period. Hazuma is damn lucky enough as it is that Tomari put up with being her second choice.
Blackstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 20:04   Link #500
Zeytoo0

Send a message via MSN to Zeytoo0
I just finished watching the series, and wow, that was pretty damn good.

The beginning episodes seemed a bit strange/off to me, but once it got going after episode 6 or so I really fell in love. Ive not felt this way about an anime in a LONG time. Loved it
Zeytoo0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, genderbender, romance, seinen, yuri