That would be the Disco version of the
Nice, thank you.
FerrusManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 14:44   Link #1782
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrusManus View Post
"Kioku no Hikari" by Kokia
Correct, and the translation of「記憶の光」(Kioku no Hikari) is "Memories [Memory] of [the] Light". The maxi-single for this song will be released on March 27th: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00AZYD45O

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrusManus View Post
By the way: Does anyone know the name of the song that is played during the battle between the Gamillians and the Comet Empire at the begin of Episode 11?
The proper name of this track is 白色彗星帝国 ディスコアレンジ(The White Comet Empire: Disco Arrangement) and while it has been out of print since 1979, it has recently been remastered for the new Blu-spec CD releases in the "Yamato Sound Almanac" collection (1978-IV): http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008IZ46B8/

Old 2013-03-12, 16:23   Link #1783
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I

Spoiler for Iscandarians:
I dunno; I feel like it's implied
Spoiler:
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 16:57   Link #1784
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There are problems with that theory.
Old 2013-03-12, 23:09   Link #1785
GundamFan0083

Quote:
There are problems with that theory.
There are certainly problems with all speculations at this point. We will surely find out which ideas are correct and which ones are not. Therefore, I think it best to keep all options open.

Spoiler for For Ithekro, Read your posts over at Trek BBS, very cool. :):
Old 2013-03-12, 23:45   Link #1786
Scherzo09

Spoiler:
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 00:04   Link #1787
John117xCortana

Whats the coup going to be about anyway ?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 00:04   Link #1788
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One thing that give me hope for the rest of the series is something director Izubuchi said in an interview. The idea that whatever they are doing, it should feel like Yamato. Some of these people grew up on Yamato or were fairly hardcore otaku for Yamato in the mid-70s. These are the people that should know what Yamato "feels" like. They might not agree on what aspect to focus on, or what might be silly, or farfetched or not, but they agree that it has to feel like Yamato. If it doesn't than there was no point in making it.

So when Episode 26 comes around...it should still feel like Yamato. That's should be how things are, and that gives me hope for the rest of this series.

My other hope is for a Comet Empire series, but one thing at a time.

-----------------------

Quote:
Whats the coup going to be about anyway ?
The one on Gamilas or the mutiny on Yamato?
Old 2013-03-13, 00:18   Link #1789
GundamFan0083

Quote:
My other hope is for a Comet Empire series, but one thing at a time.
You and me both, Ithekro.
I really want to see the EDF fleet in a remake.
The Garmillas ships, UN Cosmo Navy, and Yamato all look sweet in this series.
And the Gatlantis ships we have seen look very cool.
I can imagine what the Andromeda would look like.

But, as you said, one thing at a time.
Old 2013-03-13, 00:34   Link #1790
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seeing Yamato in the Chapter 5 trailer, I'm trying to image the renewed EDF fleet with shields up at the Battle at Saturn. And guessing the Cometine battleships don't have shields. Might make the case for the use of special weapons only by the Comet Empire. Cause those pea shooters they got aren't going to be very effective against that many Earth ships that are nearly or more powerful than Yamato.

Assuming of course that the EDF fleet has the same or improved technology from Yamato. Even if the rank and file ships don't, one would expect Andromeda to be ahead of Yamato. (It be kind of funny of that blue Wave Motion Core was later used for Andromeda).

Though, one wonders why the Gamilas don't have Wave Motion Shielding. But then Talan said the were working on a prototype of a weapon similar to the Wave Motion Gun...so the Earth/Iscandarian technology is clearly superior to Gamilas. At least in the field of Wave Motion Energy use. The Gamilas are clearly more skilled with their engines and tracking systems. Just their weapons are not up to par with the Earth's Shock Cannons and Wave Motion Gun (though Dommel's flagship could still prove me wrong, as it's guns are bigger than Yamato's). Gamilas guns never put quite as big of dents in their targets as Yamato did to the Gamilas at Jupiter.
Old 2013-03-13, 02:01   Link #1791
MasterVampire

So since 2199 is the first series ive watched what was all that about when they had that blue girl in the medical scanner and said she was pretty much identical to humans except the colour of their skin?

Hows that work?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 02:25   Link #1792
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
So since 2199 is the first series ive watched what was all that about when they had that blue girl in the medical scanner and said she was pretty much identical to humans except the colour of their skin?

Hows that work?
Are you refering to her genetic makeup being similar to humans?
If you are, then I would caution you that SBY is a space opera not hard SF, so you're going to see the major aliens be VERY humanoid so that viewers can relate to them, care about them, and enjoy the show, like in Star Trek.
The focus of this show is the story, not the science.

From a scientific viewpoint, there is new research that suggests DNA may be very similar throughout the cosmos and thus (due to panspermia) there may actually BE aliens of a homonid nature out there that are similar to us. We don't as of yet know the origin of the DNA material that spawned life on Earth. If it is not unique to Earth and is in fact born in the large Nebulae that spawn stars, then many world may all have the same basic DNA and thus a large number of similar lifeforms, including ape/monkey like homonids that might look a lot like us.
Granted this is all theoretical, and much work still needs to be done, but there is evidence to back it up, so the possibility is stronger than just a whim or flight of fancy.
Although, the concept is still very controversial and is far from being settled.
Old 2013-03-13, 02:46   Link #1793
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Basically humans of different skin tone. How they are blue (or how are most of Yamato's crew sort of pale pinkish), who knows. Which would place Schulz and Hilde at even closer to humans than say Dommel and Dessler. Yet they are "human" somehow.
Old 2013-03-13, 05:36   Link #1794
John117xCortana

Quote:
-----------------------

The one on Gamilas or the mutiny on Yamato?
I was talking about the one on the Yamato ?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 06:20   Link #1795
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
There are certainly problems with all speculations at this point. We will surely find out which ideas are correct and which ones are not. Therefore, I think it best to keep all options open.

Spoiler for For Ithekro, Read your posts over at Trek BBS, very cool. :):
I'll tell you why Sasha is still buried at Mars. First, by the time the Kirishima made it back to Mars, 3 weeks had gone by so, even if decomp occurs differently in Mars's environment, her body is probably not in the best of shapes by then. Second, if they wanted her body, they would have ordered Kodai and Shima to store her somehow, instead of burying her. Third, Earth has no more ships besides the Kirishima at that point so going to pick her decomposing body to Mars would prove difficult. And for what? She's dead. Even if we accept the existence of spirit/soul/whatever within the story concept, it would be long gone by then, unless she took over one of our two friends OR... she stored her mind in the WM Core somehow. Any of these possibilities negates the need for her body. That would be un-Yamato-like at this point, and totally unsubstanciated by what we have been shown.

As for the Yuki/Yurisha thing, i have too many theories at this point (one of which was posted a few pages back XD).
Spoiler for Yuki and Yuisha... and Yuria...:

I totally agree with your last sentence. This is only conjecture and will mostly be a bust by the show's end but it is fun to theorise about such things, even if only as a creative exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post

Hows that work?
My main problem with the "same DNA" angle is this. Why would they Garmillasform the Earth if they need the same environment as us? Let the theorising begin.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 06:55   Link #1796
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
I was talking about the one on the Yamato ?
First the "hard facts" (if such a thing is possible in space opera)

As hinted in episode 12, the Yamato was (at that point) still 130.000 light years from Iscandar. They've been traveling for about 47 days at that point (as per Okitas narration in 11 which points 318 days left). So 47 days to make only 38.000 light years, which gives us a mean travel time of 808,5 light years per travel day. Maintaining that medium it will take roughly 406 days to make the round trip.

Variables exist that might reduce the travel time such as the possibility of extended warping once in intergalactic space, less Garmillas interference (note that they believe Garmillas is somewhere in the Milky Way Galaxy and, as such, the bulk of their forces is behind them), etc. Of course the opposite variables exist too, such as unknown space phenomena, possibility of malfunction and other delaying factors. But based solely on the present number, things don't look that good.

Now for the rationale behind the mutiny.
From the start there's been a competing agenda, designated the Izumo Plan, which consisted in finding a planet suitable for human life and ferrying as many people there. Essencialy, leave the Earth and start somewhere else. The Yamato was being built for that purpose, supposedly as a sleeper ship.

When Yurisha arrived with Starsha's offer, the Izumo Plan was abandoned in favor of the Yamato Plan, which is the current mission to go to Iscandar and retrieve the Cosmo Reverse System and use it to revive Earth.

However, some believe the Yamato Plan won't work, based on their personal agendas and, as the story progresses, the "facts" i posted earlier. This group has been put in place by Serizawa, with Niimi and Ito at the front lines aboard Yamato.

Spoiler for Possible evolution of the Izumo agenda based on future events:
Old 2013-03-13, 09:08   Link #1797
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well well well, episode 14 was VERY interesting, even for me who isn't as involved in the Yamato mythos as many in this thread. Problem is, it also threw in more questions.

So, what do we have?

Spoiler for Episode 14 stuff:
Old 2013-03-13, 10:02   Link #1798
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Spoiler for Episode 14 stuff:
She's definitely not gone. From the way she was talking to "herself" it's clearly a melding of two minds and not one mind taking presence over the other.
Old 2013-03-13, 10:13   Link #1799
macdawson

Quote:
* We have an Iscandrian woman definitely, but is it Yurisha, or Starsha?[/SPOILER]
Since Starsha is back in Iscandar... But if you mean the one that Mirenel sees in the ruins, that's Yurisha. Starsha's design is different.

Quote:
* What happens to Misaki now? I'm assuming that this is a new development that doesn't quite mirror what happened in the first series. [/SPOILER]
It doesn't since Misaki or any of the other female officers, besides Yuki, didn't feature in the original.
Old 2013-03-13, 12:54   Link #1800
August138

Spoiler for Gamilas and Earther DNA similarities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
She's definitely not gone. From the way she was talking to "herself" it's clearly a melding of two minds and not one mind taking presence over the other.
Spoiler for Yurisha & Yuria's Symbiotic Connection:

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato