AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-21, 00:20   Link #81
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, your level of depression will fluctuate according to the way you perceive your situation (and I'm not talking about the "see the bright side of things"). Doing something to forget about it, even momentarily, gives you a chance to handle the matter differently, and if it so happens that you realize the answer (or part of it) to your problem, you can start fighting it. Being a partially subconscious fight, it's pretty hard...always worth a try though.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 20:29   Link #82
Fate21
Kiyu~

Maybe because i'm lonely..
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 22:29   Link #83
oompa loompa

I guess I can tell you a few things that helped me out ( though I'm going through something of a round 2 right now). Firstly, outdoorsy things is a must.. go for a walk, or a run.. something of that sort. Its not the outside that helps, its just staying in your head thats harmful. Secondly, ( this trick helped me a LOT), you have to learn to kind of.. err.. mind-stop ( this thread, was started because I didnt know how to just keep things out). Usually, with these thoughts you're having ( if my experience is anything to go by) ill divide it into two things - 1) the thought, and the line of thought, and 2) the feeling. Either one can come first, that nasty heavy feeling, followed by the thought or vice versa. Unfortunately, you cant really stop the feeling, but the second the thought(s) get into your head you have to try and put them out. Do whatever you have to, i.e. pinch yourself, or say something to yourself repeatedly in your head. I just used to keep repeating 'STOP' and consciously try to actually stop and forget about what I was doing, and then I found that if I concentrated hard enough on stopping, those nasty nasty thoughts could easily be pushed out of my head.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 04:29   Link #84
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So, does anyone here have experience with a long long long term depression?

It's not severe, but it's bad enough where I just don't seem to enjoy much in life. I've been like this for 6-8 years, with no ups or downs, just a steady mild depression.

I don't have any emotional traumas, nor do I live in a depressing environment (I'm in freaking soCAL on the beach for goodness sakes). I have good friends, a loving family, and I have several hobbies, both indoor and outdoor. I'm just not exactly happy with anything I do. Lately, even anime has started to turn a tiny bit sour for me
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 04:37   Link #85
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

It's not severe, but it's bad enough where I just don't seem to enjoy much in life. I've been like this for 6-8 years, with no ups or downs, just a steady mild depression.

I don't have any emotional traumas, nor do I live in a depressing environment (I'm in freaking soCAL on the beach for goodness sakes). I have good friends, a loving family, and I have several hobbies, both indoor and outdoor. I'm just not exactly happy with anything I do. Lately, even anime has started to turn a tiny bit sour for me
You require different experiences in life in order to 'live'.

You need to differentiate and try different activities; try making new friends. Difference is important. You can be content for awhile without changing anything but that'll eventually end. Fine tune everything before moving on for new experiences -- that isn't recommended but it's optimal in my opinion.

If that doesn't work try getting diagnosed. You may have gotten this melancholy from something or someone else. It's entirely possible. Diagnosed is always the best to do when curing depression. Severe or otherwise. Just don't mistreat the other option you have available.

I doubt this helped. I'm sorry.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 05:21   Link #86
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:

I don't have any emotional traumas, nor do I live in a depressing environment (I'm in freaking soCAL on the beach for goodness sakes). I have good friends, a loving family, and I have several hobbies, both indoor and outdoor. I'm just not exactly happy with anything I do. Lately, even anime has started to turn a tiny bit sour for me.
Sounds familiar to me, although it seems a bit early for you experience such symptoms. Do you feel as though you have no control over your circumstances, that you're merely going through motions?

If so, I suspect it's a case of you needing a "grand purpose" to motivate you, a mission statement that ties everything together, to give you a sense of progress in life.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 05:28   Link #87
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:

Have you ever try travelling to somewhere??

Be in a different places and meeting new memories bring new experience to life.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 06:16   Link #88
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:

I had the exact same thing yesterday, it catches on from time to time...I just spend my day alone (walking around town, online, or asleep) and wake up to a better tomorrow. Spending time with anyone around me resulted in unjustified fits of rage and spite (and even though I wasn't directly expressing them, people around me could read the mood), so being alone was calming enough.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 06:39   Link #89
miscs
Flying Dumb-ass

Quote:

Maybe you're just a nihilist, or part British ether way it would explain your recent cynicism towards anime and underlying depression.
miscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 10:54   Link #90
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

How much do you exercise? Do you eat fairly healthy? I went through a period of depersonalization similar to what you describe when I was younger, and exercise and nutrition really helped me out. They will help alter your neurochemistry (serotonin and dopamine) to healthy levels while giving you goals to work towards. The combination of those two factors (goals and health) is potent.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 14:04   Link #91
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

First, of all, thanks for all your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Sounds familiar to me, although it seems a bit early for you experience such symptoms. Do you feel as though you have no control over your circumstances, that you're merely going through motions?

If so, I suspect it's a case of you needing a "grand purpose" to motivate you, a mission statement that ties everything together, to give you a sense of progress in life.
That pretty much describes how I feel about things (Going through the motions). A grand purpose is hard to find for me, because that answer will probably not be a spiritual one since I am an agnostic who leans towards atheism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Have you ever try travelling to somewhere??

Be in a different places and meeting new memories bring new experience to life.
In fact I've been to several places around the world (though never Asia). Traveling is not something that gets me too excited. I'm never really too amazed by anything I go see out there. Nature usually is more impressive in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscs View Post
Maybe you're just a nihilist, or part British ether way it would explain your recent cynicism towards anime and underlying depression.
Well depends what kind of nihilist. I'm defitely not like the nihlists in The Big Lebowski .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
How much do you exercise? Do you eat fairly healthy? I went through a period of depersonalization similar to what you describe when I was younger, and exercise and nutrition really helped me out. They will help alter your neurochemistry (serotonin and dopamine) to healthy levels while giving you goals to work towards. The combination of those two factors (goals and health) is potent.
I exercise a lot. I play tennis for 2-3 hours at a time about 3-5 times a week and go to the gym here and there. Sometimes I even go on runs. I try to eat healthy, though now that I am at college it's been a little bit harder with the crap they serve here (Though that will be fixed next year when I cook for myself).

But anyway, the best word I can describe myself with in life right now is detachment. It's very difficult to get me to experience the highs and lows of emotion often times. I even recently went to a funeral of a beloved family member, and was the only one who didn't cry in my entire family it seems. I just can't get myself to feel. I guess that goes a little bit with my lack of sense of purpose that TRL was talking about.
Old 2010-06-08, 16:04   Link #92
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

That isn't depression. It is just that your life isn't interesting enough.

Go write down on a piece of paper the following :

1. What do you want?
2. What would you like to do?
3. How do you plan to go about doing it?

1 doesn't include suicide, 2 & 3 doesn't include don't know. Keep thinking till you find the answer.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 16:33   Link #93
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That isn't depression. It is just that your life isn't interesting enough.

Go write down on a piece of paper the following :

1. What do you want?
2. What would you like to do?
3. How do you plan to go about doing it?

1 doesn't include suicide, 2 & 3 doesn't include don't know. Keep thinking till you find the answer.
I suppose you wouldn't classify what I am feeling as a classic case of "depression," but at the end of the day, all I feel is emptiness about life in general, and that doesn't really make anyone feel too good.

Anyhow, those are some very tough questions for me because I've pretty much failed in answering them my whole life. Though I am young, I've pondered a long time about what exactly interests me and, I really can't find an answer.

I have some general hobbies like anime, but it's almost a tool for escape... And often times I seem to like shows that often reflect my own personal negative view points or struggles in life (Evangelion, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, etc.).

To answer some of those questions, though, this is the best way I can answer them at the moment...

1. Connection
2. Become a pro tennis player
3. Very unrealistic goals have no means to get there
Old 2010-06-08, 17:33   Link #94
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
1. Connection
2. Become a pro tennis player
3. Very unrealistic goals have no means to get there
1. Be specific. What kind of connection?
2. Why not? It is not the size of the league that matters, but rather the sense of achievement you get.
3. Excuse me....but gimme a moment.

HAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why are you talking about UNREALISTIC goals when reality is subjective? Look here, but as to quote Rene Descartes's "Cogito Ergo Sum", how you perceive reality is how you go about doing it. True there may be some sort of things which we see, hear and touch that cannot be changed, but that is truth, not reality. Reality is how we feel about our surroundings, and we cannot tell at any moment if our emotions are rational or not.

You won't know if you can do anything at all unless you have tried. Plan and think ahead, then try. An uncertain future doesn't mean that you just put your ass there and wait for something to happen.

If you want to talk about "unrealistic", let's compare to my dream : I want to -

1. Become financially free before the age of 25 (that's 3 years time, 2013), earning at least $3000 per month so I don't have to worry about getting a damn job in this long term recession which I project to last until 2015.
2. Open my own music store with a rent-out studio named "The Light Music Club" selling mainly refurbished musical instruments everyone can afford before 30.

And guess what? I am still trying to earn my capital from the stock market which I am currently having a losing streak in, and it is still too early to give up because I am probably making mistakes I didn't know of or going through motion with.

I tried rather than just sit there and dream. You should too.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 21:55   Link #95
Azuma Denton
~AD~

I agree with SaintessHeart.
If you think your life is not interesting, make it interesting.
What do you wanna achieve. What do you wanna to do.
Base all your action towards your goals.

Example for me:
I wanna go to Animelo Live Concert on 2012, (and try to raep a Japanese High School Girl if it's possible)
So now, i'm working to death so i can achieve that fund.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 14:36   Link #96
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Do you feel as though you have no control over your circumstances, that you're merely going through motions?
That pretty much describes how I feel about things (Going through the motions). A grand purpose is hard to find for me, because that answer will probably not be a spiritual one since I am an agnostic who leans towards atheism.
Quote:
Anyhow, those are some very tough questions for me because I've pretty much failed in answering them my whole life. Though I am young, I've pondered a long time about what exactly interests me and, I really can't find an answer.
Let's clear up two things right away: a "grand purpose" for life doesn't have to be spiritual and spirituality doesn't necessarily require religion.

That feeling of emptiness reflects a deeper desire for purpose, a goal greater than self. This is a feeling all humans share, a profound need to transcend mere existence, although some undoubtedly experience it more strongly than others.

My advice is: don't sweat it. At least, not yet. As I've hinted, it's a bit too early in life for you to be worried about your "purpose". Not that you shouldn't look for it — hackneyed though this may sound, the journey is part of the destination.

You'll go through many phases. For the moment, college awaits. Love, if it's not already there, may be just around the corner. Then comes your early working life, when you'd become fully responsible for your own bills. Adult choices will befall you, forcing you to question the practicality of pretty much everything you've believed in so far in life.

Then, one day, marriage; then a home (and a mortgage) and, finally, children. Your life will no longer be yours alone. Then, and only then, would you begin to get even the slightest whiff of what it truly means to live a purpose greater than yourself.

Meaning to say, the thing you lack at the moment is the one thing that cannot be rushed: the benefit of hindsight and perspective.

I'm intrigued, though. What do you mean by "connection"?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 15:26   Link #97
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

#$@%$#%^#%#% I just typed up a really nice post and my browser went back somehow and I lost it, damn it.

I have clinical depression. Diagnosed and being treated - I have no symptoms right now. I am taking medication and seeing a therapist every two weeks (at first I went for important reasons, now I go so I don't have to talk to my parents about stuff, it's nice to have a neutral part to talk to about anything, lol).

Anyway, if you think you have depression, go see a professional. The only way to treat clinical depression is with medication and therapy. If you don't need medication, you probably don't have it. Depression is a disease, like diabetes. It must be treated. If you are one of those people who "don't believe in medicine" then turn your computer off and go live in the woods or something. Depression is cause by lack of chemicals and stuff in your body - the medicine corrects that.

Treatment is two fold though - medicine and therapy! If you find you don't need medicine, going to therapy may not be a bad thing. I think every person should go once in their lives actually, there is stuff that everyone wants to talk about and simply can't with the people in their lives at times. Reckoner, therapy is prolly all you need from what you told us. The professional can help you figure out exactly what's bumming you out. Honestly, you probably just need some spice in your life to put it simple, unfortunately you can't go to the supermarket to get it, it'll take effort.

If you choose to seek professional help, try and get someone recommended and if not, seek another opinion. Some doctors are pill pushers and others are not. It may take time to find a good one.

Might help: http://www.psychologytoday.com

I have a couple of books at home that help, I'll reply with their titles later.
Old 2010-06-09, 15:38   Link #98
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

My favorite business forum is down.... I am morally and financially depressed

*Listens to Komm Susser Tod in the background*
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 19:38   Link #99
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

As promised...
These books helped me with depression by controlling my thoughts. Example, it's common for people to see a group of people look at you, talk and then laugh. Some people think nothing of it, others take it to heart and may get angry if they have anger issues or sad if they have depression. They can't help but think this way, it really is natural to do so. These books teach you that the group is not talking about you and to think nothing of it. I know how it sounds, that isn't the best example, but they help. Not every chapter may pertain to you, obviously, but they are worth looking into.
Old 2010-06-10, 00:29   Link #100
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Quote:

I'm right there with you. I've been battling depression for about the same amount of time and it's not anything severe, I just have such low self confidence, that I don't really enjoy anything I do and I don't have any faith in myself while doing it.

It's tough and it's been even harder this past year since I had my daughter at such a young age, so there's issues with the father and all the emotional crap that comes with becoming a teen parent.

She's the sunshine in my life though, I just keep telling myself that I have to make it out of this rut for her and keep going to make myself better.

Let me add that I have also been diagnosed with clinical depression and I've been on different medications, but none of them changed anything for me. Have you tried going to the doctor and talking about it/getting medication? I know it's not for everyone, but I'm told all the time that depression worsens when it goes untreated.

Tags
depression, sad