AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-01-08, 11:21   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Izumi Kitta isn't a live action actress, so not sure what she's doing in this discussion. Not familiar with the other one. One counter-example I can recall is Tao Tsuchiya, I believe her performance in Erased was praised.
Old 2020-01-09, 20:39   Link #22
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Took a second viewing, but I noticed early on in the dragonfly sequence they had the voice actresses doing their impressions of the necessary sound effects. Nice addition, with the sound effects gradually shifting to normal effects as they become more and more immersed in the fantasy.

On a different note, sorry I didn't comment before, but I'm curious just what Beta means by "the usual pattern". What pattern? A woman playing a girl?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-09, 23:31   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Human-generated sound effects are a Yuasa trademark. One of my favorite elements of his more surrealistic work.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 00:51   Link #24
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A lot of fun. Love those complex world drawings. Will they be able to keep up the complexity of the visuals? I'll be here to find out, anyway. Good stuff. Good characters. Neat story so far. I'll get used to the voices. I often like actors doing anime voices. Gives a natural or real feeling, as opposed to a skillful feeling. Both can be good. I liked ending on the washing machine, since I wondered why they hadn't gone to get the clothes.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-12, 16:07   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The second episode was just as awesome as the first one. You can easily tell the staff is putting a lot of love into this. I'm surprised the girls are going to animate their works the old school way, but that makes it all the more interesting.
Old 2020-01-12, 16:16   Link #26
Wandering Soul

I like the fact that they are going old school with this so far and I really like the fantasy sequences they have.
Old 2020-01-13, 02:05   Link #27
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I love that the faculty room is a swimming pool, for no reason whatsoever.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-13, 06:22   Link #28
Fevvers
a regular van veen

It was interesting seeing the process of cel animation in an anime. We see this a lot in shounen series where the rules of the game are explained, but here you can clearly see the imagination and love to the medium, so despite not being interested in the process of animation per se, watching this episode was a lot of fun!

There’s a lot of thought put into the details of the dynamic of the girls also. It’s the little things like Kanamori expecting Midori to fall. You know they’re close friends when you take a video instead of helping them.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 05:46   Link #29
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I've only watched episode 1 so far but goddamn I haven't had this much fun watching a slice of life (ish) CGDCT series in a long time. At first I had hesitation that Yuasa's style might not translate well here but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like he's been doing this for years. This is probably proof of concept that that you can achieve the same result by even daring to be more different and creative than the usual fare.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 11:37   Link #30
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Fantastic first two episodes. Gotta love how quirky the characters are (though tall girl is clearly the run away favourite)

I suppose comparisons with Shirobako are gonna be hard to avoid. This probably won't top Shirobako for me personally: Shirobako's depictions of stressful work life and environment and the neuroticism that comes with it spoke to me on such a personal level and it looks like Eizouken will be avoiding that area completely but I certainly think Eizouken has a chance.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-16, 11:42   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just finished rewatching all of Shirobako. I was inspired to do so from watching Eizouken and hadn't seen Shirobako in some time. I probably share Haak's feelings on the two shows. Such an important part of Shirobako for me is the emphasis on team work and the relationships within the staff. I quite enjoyed the material on how anime is made, but it was the characters, actors, and score that made Shirobako so special. I also liked how P.A. Works gave us such a range of additional material like the Andes Chucky ED and the works EXODUS and Third Aerial Girls' Squadron themselves.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-19, 17:46   Link #32
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Awesome pieces of animation this week again.

Kanamori has tough job, keeping those two hyper girls in line. I love how she pointed out there's nothing realistic about a high school girl fighting a tank when the other two mentioned using a machete rather than a katana added more realism.
Old 2020-01-20, 12:43   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I loved this episode especially the scenes where they traveled around in the conceptual drawings Midori had made. Asakusa Midori has an impressively active and wide-ranging imagination.

Little worried how they'll fill Asakusa's dream for the school project when they have only 55 days. What will the powers-that-be say when the "film" group displays an anime at the presentation?

I think I sometimes hear the characters using the suffix "-shi" with names. Around four minutes into this week's episode, Midori appropriately calls Kanamori "Kanamori-kun," but it sounds like Kanamori replies with "Akasusa-shi." I believe I've heard the reverse, too, in conversations between that pair. A quick Google search didn't provide an explanation for this usage. I don't think I've heard Mizusaki ever use "-shi" though. Do Kanamori and Akakusa use a local dialect like Kansai-ben that Mizusaki doesn't share?

Mutsumi Tamura who voices Kanamori has quite the impressive resume. She's voiced a number of male and female characters I've seen like Alibaba, Zorore, Lutz, and Kobayashi-san. I wonder if Mutsumi's normal speaking voice is as low-pitched as Kanamori's.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2020-01-20 at 13:12.
Old 2020-01-20, 17:05   Link #34
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I loved this episode especially the scenes where they traveled around in the conceptual drawings Midori had made. Asakusa Midori has an impressively active and wide-ranging imagination.
Yeah, this is as close we will ever get to "Calvin & Hobbes: The animation" we will ever get.

Quote:
Little worried how they'll fill Asakusa's dream for the school project when they have only 55 days. What will the powers-that-be say when the "film" group displays an anime at the presentation?
The real world solution would be outsorcing to the philiphines, but this is anime so I expect they will do with the power of friendship (and guts).

Quote:
I think I sometimes hear the characters using the suffix "-shi" with names. Around four minutes into this week's episode, Midori appropriately calls Kanamori "Kanamori-kun," but it sounds like Kanamori replies with "Akasusa-shi." I believe I've heard the reverse, too, in conversations between that pair. A quick Google search didn't provide an explanation for this usage. I don't think I've heard Mizusaki ever use "-shi" though. Do Kanamori and Akakusa use a local dialect like Kansai-ben that Mizusaki doesn't share?
My bet is they are trying to sound academic (without elevating themselves to a higher level by using -sensei or -hakasei)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics#Shi
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-20, 18:14   Link #35
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
My bet is they are trying to sound academic (without elevating themselves to a higher level by using -sensei or -hakasei)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics#Shi
Thanks! Somehow I missed the obvious source!

I can see Akakusa and Kanamori using a very formal honorific in a playful kind of way. It fits their characters.
Old 2020-01-20, 19:31   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

In anime, I've only ever heard -shi being used by hardcore otaku type of characters, but Kanamori doesn't fit. It could be her way of making fun of Asakusa.
Old 2020-01-21, 06:02   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Easy Breezy is my new personal motto. It fits the characters perfectly as ones powering their club through to hopeful success through sheer force of optimism and imagination.

I really do hope they manage to do something impressive in those 55 days.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 10:08   Link #38
Fevvers
a regular van veen

“Dun dun dun!”

What dorks! Love these girls!

I’m really finding it refreshing though that animation here is not just a means to an end; it actually IS the narrative. And by narrative, not just to flaunt cool looking animation (though it does do that by a ton), but that the animation gives depth to the character’s motivations and goals. It’s not draaamaaa, and I’m glad of it.

Last edited by Fevvers; 2020-01-24 at 10:53.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 20:39   Link #39
Alchemist007
*Author

This feels like Yuasa's version of a Shirobako-esque show. Not going to be missing this.
Old 2020-01-26, 13:25   Link #40
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Eizouken focuses more on the artwork and production techniques while Shirobako focused more on organization and teamwork. Plus it doesn't look like our girls are going to have any computers to help them out, just their bare hands and that camera.

The scene where they discover the camera is so nerdy. Akasusa immediately recognizes this large object as a camera stand and knows the purpose of both its hand-cranks. She must have read about camera stands in her fascination with anime or perhaps watched a TV show about anime production.