Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2019-11-03, 11:02   Link #81
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
It's possible. I find it somewhat unlikely. I find it doubtful that Umino-sensei would have something huge like that just fall into his lap. Generally, it requires some kind of drive or ambition. He has some in his stubbornness and how he hates to lose, but still for a title against people as powerful and driven as we've seen, he's going to need something that makes him push through with far greater force. He currently doesn't have that, but I suspect he might gain it through Hina, either out of some desire to support her or perhaps inspired by her if she comes up with some crazy goal. Like, for instance, she might try to get some sort of scholarship to a college where she can develop her confectionary skills,
I don't think you go to college for those. Maybe for management, so she can handle the business end of things?

Quote:
and he either decides to aim for titles for money to support her tuition if needed or just becomes inspired by her drive and pushes forward to sort of keep up with her.
Possible, but he already makes plenty of money. Enough to support a family. He might need more if his real estate ambitions come up again, though...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-03, 13:06   Link #82
BWTraveller
Born to ship

There are culinary colleges, for starters. I'm sure there's some sort of schools out there to help her improve her craft. Though business would also be a good path.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 07:29   Link #83
bastek66

Finally something for shippers
Spoiler for latest chapter:
Old 2020-08-29, 11:33   Link #84
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Finally something for shippers
Spoiler for latest chapter:
At last!! So long after the confession there was frustration since she didn't even establish exactly what came of it (strong implication but never a clear "they're now a couple"), and at last we get a KISS!!

Could you perhaps translate that a bit, and/or provide context? I understand some of it but my kanji's not top-notch.
Old 2020-08-29, 13:50   Link #85
grecefar

Damn and the last thing I remember was hina shipping him with akari or something like that, but I’m so happy.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 14:00   Link #86
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Dun even read this one but she speaks like a retarded... or a child
How old is she?

The context is she reminiscing about the past, about mom and grandma, and how she imagined all of them together managing the store
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-29, 14:38   Link #87
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Damn and the last thing I remember was hina shipping him with akari or something like that, but I’m so happy.
Spoiler for after that:

As for her age, wuhugm, she's a first year in high school, and he's a third year with an extra year due to the year he spent just doing shogi before the start of the story. Right at the start Hina was probably around 13, now she's 16 or close to it. Right at first she was indeed somewhat childish, but she matures over the series. She's still quite innocent and comes across at times as immature, but there's more to her than that. She most certainly isn't "retarded", and frankly I'm not sure what you're talking about with her sounding like that. I'd suggest you go back and watch season 2, she shows a ton of growth there (and even more afterward in the manga). Umino-sensei is really a brilliant author where characters are concerned. There's a whole lot put into every single character; no one is flat or simple or "just a kid" or anything like that. Even the characters set up as villains are given a ton of character, easily enough to make one empathize with them.
Old 2020-08-29, 17:45   Link #88
grecefar

Since the chapters are irregular with translation I lost sense of were I was, last I read was the story of the meijin and since then no more chapters, I saw the raw of the festival but that's it.
Old 2020-08-30, 15:58   Link #89
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
At last!! So long after the confession there was frustration since she didn't even establish exactly what came of it (strong implication but never a clear "they're now a couple"), and at last we get a KISS!!

Could you perhaps translate that a bit, and/or provide context? I understand some of it but my kanji's not top-notch.
There's an English translation out now, and what it tells me is... that was not their first kiss. It may have been the first one we've seen, but they've been doing it for a while. It comes out of nowhere in the middle of a conversation, and the conversation just goes on afterwards. They wouldn't be that comfortable and casual if it was their first one.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-30, 19:49   Link #90
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Agreed. It certainly did feel too casual to be a first or second kiss. It's just nice to finally have something visible or clearly demonstrated. And yeah, nice to see that their relationship has gotten to the point that they can just share a quick kiss on the way to the convenience store for evening snacks.

Still, I always wished Umino-sensei had written a day-after chapter following the festival. I'd have loved to see Hina getting looks at school from all the spectators to the confession and then getting grilled for details by Anna.

PS, one thing's kind of odd, bastek: why did you put the last page of the chapter first?

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2020-09-01 at 00:35.
Old 2020-09-24, 23:54   Link #91
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Chapter 172 is out and translated. Are we allowed to say where?

Spoiler for Chapter 172:

It's wonderful.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2020-09-24 at 23:55. Reason: Clicked the wrong tag.
Old 2020-09-25, 01:00   Link #92
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, no real need for more shippiness after last chapter made it clear. Now it's just sweet enjoyment watching them walk hand in hand and realize they can hardly remember not having one another in their lives. Showing Hina's growth and demonstrating her determination is much more important and wonderful to see. At the start she was just a kid, already clearly drawn to Rei but nonetheless a crazy little kid. Now she's chosen her future and facing it head-on, ready to face the challenges that are inevitably to come.
Old 2020-09-25, 13:48   Link #93
grecefar

Hina talks about her path and what she wants to do, but what about rei?, let's see in the next chapter and I hope his path is to face and become the meijin.
Old 2020-09-25, 15:19   Link #94
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I kind of doubt he'll do that. As his sensei noted, he has absolutely never demonstrated an ambition like that. He loves the game and wants to reach any height he can, but it never has been and I don't think ever will be his actual main goal. The way he is, I feel like he'd continue climbing without fail, but he would only make an "objective" like that if it's for someone else somehow. Not that this is a bad thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a desire to reach the top for the sake of doing so or for one's own sake, but someone who puts others before anything else is rather admirable too, especially if he's able to help and protect them without giving up his path and accomplishments.
Old 2020-09-25, 19:41   Link #95
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Showing Hina's growth and demonstrating her determination is much more important and wonderful to see. At the start she was just a kid, already clearly drawn to Rei but nonetheless a crazy little kid. Now she's chosen her future and facing it head-on, ready to face the challenges that are inevitably to come.
One of my favorite scenes from the entire anime was the one where Hina starts trying to imagine new sweets to make, and her brain suddenly goes into overdrive to the point where she can't write her ideas down fast enough. I'm a writer, and I can definitely relate to those creative bursts.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2020-10-24 at 17:47.
Old 2020-10-25, 08:13   Link #96
grecefar

fluff continues but the chapters are too short.
Old 2020-10-25, 15:36   Link #97
BWTraveller
Born to ship

The new chap may be short, but it's a really great one all the same. Rei finally admits that, along with him facing tougher opponents and his rivals working harder to beat him, his newfound happiness is indeed a big reason he's finding himself struggling. And it's great to see that Hina recognizes this and isn't willing to take some simple reassurances, but seriously wants to talk to him and help to ensure that all his hard work doesn't go to waste. There's tons of fluff and sweetness, but it's clear both of them are very serious about each other and don't want to run and hide from the hard parts, which is really awesome, especially considering we're talking about a girl who's at most barely sixteen.

On a cute note, I honestly thought it was kind of adorable that she got up on the ledge so she could look him straight in the eye.
Old 2020-11-14, 22:32   Link #98
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Another short chapter closes out the New Year's Eve story, with Rei embarrassing Hina with his PDAs.
Old 2020-11-15, 13:38   Link #99
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Pretty good conclusion to this part I'd say. Seriously, the way they talk these two seem less like they're boyfriend and girlfriend and more like they're already anticipating marriage. Not that I consider that a bad thing. Either way, it was a cool way to conclude Rei's struggle with how things are changing, with him realizing that true, he has lost that single-mindedness that kept him shooting forward and seemed able to take him anywhere along with that lost feeling of wanting to just go somewhere, anywhere but where he was, but in exchange for this he has a place to belong and a confidence that with her at his side he can keep pressing forward. An apparent easy ticket to the top exchanged for a strength and confidence to climb there step by step, not a bad deal. And it kind of reminds me of "Answer" from season one. First verse "I watch my step but I have to keep going no matter how far", second verse "I watch my step, but I'm sure I can go on forever".
Old 2020-12-13, 02:04   Link #100
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Another new chapter! And I gotta say... Hina-chan is already showing more relationship maturity than my ex-wife ever did...

Tags
seinen, shogi