AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 50 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 16.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 9.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 6.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 4.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-04-03, 00:13   Link #221
Tenzen12

Yeah she saved bunch of protesters once. Before that she had different priorities and after she was too busy play hero either way.
Old 2017-04-03, 00:13   Link #222
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Why it seems to be making Dansliefs is far easier then synching 2 Ahab Reactors and making 72 Gundam.
One's a block of metal in a specific shape, the other is two finicky power reactors with complicated parts. Gee, the world may never know.
Old 2017-04-03, 00:16   Link #223
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
One's a block of metal in a specific shape, the other is two finicky power reactors with complicated parts. Gee, the world may never know.
Well technically the Dainsleif are the railgun+ammo combo, but the point still stands
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 00:21   Link #224
AswgLaghima08

Lmaooo people pissed at Dainsleif are also super fans of UC series that fill the whole battle field with beams and explosions. Btw only 3 of 6 shots landed
Is it an OP weapon? Yea of course everything on the show is pretty OP. But had more mobile armors been introduced then with that you have to let them and the plumas kill lots of people like a Colony.
But by instead having Flauros' railgun be the reason Iok pulled out this banned weapon makes sense, fire with fire. Now the way Iok used it was wrong and thats why so many people hate on it. Rustal uses it to minimize his loses or to just flat out finish the fight. Hell Dainsleif had to be created before the CW because mobile suits were around and fighting duels and stuff. Simply put every weapon in the show is fair game if it kills humans , Devils and Angels
AswgLaghima08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 00:24   Link #225
Skye629

Found this on Reddit, it really needs to be seen

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

http://imgur.com/HgLoy8B

Plot armor stronger than Jesus Yamato!!!!!
Old 2017-04-03, 00:39   Link #226
wissenschaft

Quote:
Kudelia got her position because....Rustal needed someone to run Mars.....
Who would of guess Kudelia would be so cunning and cold blooded. Instead of Tekkadan becoming the kings of mars, she took control of mars. All she had to do was watch them get killed and then make a quick deal with Rustal. Who knew that all that was require for "Marian independence" was to throw your allies under the bus.

Just as Planned?
Old 2017-04-03, 00:45   Link #227
BPD Renegade

An ironic and bittersweet ending, but I'm satisfied that we actually received a proper ending and an epilogue of sorts. I probably would have been more disappointed if there was some asspull in the final episode that allowed the good guys to win and everyone to make it out alive.

Last episode, I was surprised that Eugene was in the front lines, since he was pretty much the last of the leadership Tekkaden had left, so it was relieving when Mika had him and Chad go back. The decision to have Eugene and Chad, the last of the leaders, live while Mika and Akihiro, the last of the fighters, die was a nice way to symbolize the death of Tekkaden, a place for child soldiers.

The deaths in the episode were pretty satisfying. Mika finally realized that he had already found what he and Orga had been looking for, Akihiro lived long enough to squish that annoying cockroach to death, and Nobliss literally bit it with his pants down. Although, I was a bit salty for the few seconds when I thought Akihiro would die before finishing the job. I was almost ready to maim when I thought that entitled little shit would make it out alive again.

The two main things I disliked about this episode were Rustal getting away with all the war crimes he committed and obtaining an even greater position of power, and Julietta raising Barbatos' head as if she accomplished something. But while I'm annoyed with Rustal's good end, the writers did well in making him a self-aware, Machiavellian figure from start to finish, and his character never deviated or devolved from what it was. His main motivation was the status quo, but once it was clear its maintenance was impossible, what with the exposed corruption and half of the families out of the picture, he changed it and ironically led the way to what McGillis was aiming for. I still want him to pay for his crimes and for someone to eventually expose him, however, he still has to be credited, even if begrudgingly, for some of the reforms that we saw in the epilogue.

And while I still don't like Julietta and am disappointed with Gaelio's role, at least it looks like she grew a bit of a brain after what happened (her naive sense of self-righteous duty was as grating as Iok's idiocy armor), and Gali's probably going to live with that "what if" regret for the rest of his life, even if it does look like he's enjoying himself way too much.

IBO may not be the best Gundam, but it certainly by far is not the worst. Not to say that bad writing wasn't present throughout the series. Yes, there were character assassinations, and yes, there were moments that were infuriating to sit through, but the ending itself wasn't bad writing, and the story flowed well from start to finish. I had been feeling uneasy as soon as the "King of Mars" topic came up, and as it turned out, the series had been setting itself up for and heading towards this fallout ever since. Also, have we ever had a Gundam series where the protagonists lost or where all of the main pilots die? That in itself is a refreshing change of pace, even if it doesn't leave you with a good feeling in your chest.

All in all, aside from Rustal and some side characters, most of the cast could have done with some better writing, but other than that and the things I mentioned above, the series is fine as it is.

Side note: With Aldnoah's statement about making something "better than Gundam" and then the things that happened in IBO... It would be interesting if someone were to compile a list of all the similarities between the two series and where/how these similarities differ. You have to admit there are way too many for it to be a complete coincidence. (My personal opinion: IBO > Aldnoah, but I had Aldnoah ranked below Gundam even before IBO came out.)
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 00:57   Link #228
wissenschaft

You know what. I'll rate Aldnoah.Zero's ending better than IBO's ending. Aldnoah.Zero's ending did not feel like a total tonal shift from the rest of the show. This was upsetting and absurd. I'm suppose to accept that Rustel suddenly is a good guy that will enact reforms. Oh, and except Tekkadan's dignity being trashed post mortem. What did they die for? Why even fight Rustel?

The ending should have been our heroes retreat, disband, and just let Rustel win. He'll enact the reforms and no one has to die. WTF was this ending? I need to go to sleep and forget this trainwreck.

Last edited by wissenschaft; 2017-04-03 at 01:37.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 01:42   Link #229
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
You know what. I'll rate Aldnoah.Zero's ending better than IBO's ending. Aldnoah.Zero's ending did not feel like a total tonal shift from the rest of the show.
Unless IBO introduced a plot-convenient new young politically-powerful male character outta nowhere very late in the show for Kudelia to marry to end all the conflicts (which is also a plot convenience on its own), there’s no way IBO’s ending is worse than Aldnoah. Not by lightyears. And that's just one flaw that I pointed about AZ's ending, not counting others.

Quote:
This was upsetting and absurd. I'm suppose to accept that Rustel suddenly is a good guy that will enact reforms. Oh, and except Tekkadan's dignity being trashed post mortem. What did they die for? Why even fight Rustel?
Nobody asked anybody to accept that Rustal is a good guy (in its general term). It's simply politics. When it comes to politics, some compromises must be made, even working with despicable person in order to reach one's goal.

Quote:
The ending should have been our heroes retreat, disband, and just let Rustel win. He'll enact the reforms and no one has to die. WTF was this ending? I need to go to sleep and forget this trainwreck.
You can blame Rustal’s warped sense of justice for that. Heck, even Orga was begging Rustal for the same thing that you said above while offering his life as a bonus, but Rustal refused. He wanted to see Tekkadan destroyed in front of the media to be made example of.
Old 2017-04-03, 01:52   Link #230
Skaddix

Not sure why he needed the Tekkadan destroyed part.

Seems pretty easy to play the mercy card and paint McGillis as a villain which is what he did.

Tekkadan isn't even remembered what 4 or 5 years later.

Especially since you know Rustal had to cut the feed so he could go to his standard War Crimes For The Win Technique. All he really needed is Gusion and Barbatos as scrap metal.

That said yeah Aldonoah had the bigger asspull. Actually I say the two series ended pretty similarly in that they went off the cliff in the back half the 2nd Season.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 01:55   Link #231
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
You can blame Rustal’s warped sense of justice for that. Heck, even Orga was begging Rustal for the same thing that you said above while offering his life as a bonus, but Rustal refused. He wanted to see Tekkadan destroyed in front of the media to be made example of.
And yet most of Tekkadan escaped and then somehow not being hunted down by Rustal. I'm suppose to accept Rustal being a reformer? This would be like if in code geass
Spoiler:

wtf. Nothing in this ending made any sense. Its completely out of character for Rustal and also makes no political sense. Suddenly freeing all human debris would just cause chaos with all the industries reliant on that slave labor. It would start a war.

"You can blame Rustal’s warped sense of justice for that." And I'm suppose to accept this same man will honestly break down the status quo hes fought so hard to uphold. THAT IS NONSENSICAL.

EDIT: OMG, I can't sleep at all because of this ending.

Yes, I will stand by my claim that Aldnoah had a better ending. I will gladly take a near deus ex machina political marriage over a complete character reversal of a villian. The man that fought so hard to uphold the status quo is going to be the political reformer? And this change of heart suddenly happens in one episode? This is like the Confederacy winning the American civil war and then immediately abolishing slavery. IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Last edited by wissenschaft; 2017-04-03 at 02:09.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 01:57   Link #232
Skaddix

Don't think you need the spoiler tags but honestly I believe him doing that more then Rustal.

I don't remember that particular antagonist false flagging civilians to look good for the cameras.

Which is too say if you wanna make Rustal believable perhaps they should have included him doing some good works before he got all the power.
Instead of Civilian Massacres and Proxy Wars.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 02:08   Link #233
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

Seems pretty easy to play the mercy card and paint McGillis as a villain which is what he did.

Tekkadan isn't even remembered what 4 or 5 years later.
One can argue that it's easier for people to forget Tekkadan because they got destroyed and nobody wanted to associate or remember a "terrorist" group if they can help it, especially if they are no more now. But yeah, Rustal was pretty ruthless for demanding Tekkadan be destroyed a show of power.

Quote:
And yet most of Tekkadan escaped and then somehow not being hunted down by Rustal. I'm suppose to accept Rustal being a reformer? This would be like if in code geass
Spoiler:

wtf. Nothing in this ending made any sense. Its completely out of character for Rustal and also makes no political sense. Suddenly freeing all human debris would just cause chaos with all the industries reliant on that slave labor. It would start a war.

"You can blame Rustal’s warped sense of justice for that." And I'm suppose to accept this same man will honestly break down the status quo hes fought so hard to uphold. THAT IS NONSENSICAL.

EDIT: OMG, I can't sleep at all because of this ending.
Eh, I already addressed this in my previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
What he did is still very Rustal-ish. He wanted to keep order so he disbanded the SS families (who already lost three main families) which are useless now as some of their bad side and biggest crimes already got exposed to the masses. He pulled out Gjallarhorn forces from Mars and agree with the human-debris banning coz they're nothing but trouble for him. I guess he's okay with Mars' economical independence now as long as the Blocs are okay with it. Dort workers also got better treatment after getting exposed in Season 1. So, it's pretty consistent.
He's pragmatic and not averse to change as long as it served his "order".
Old 2017-04-03, 02:14   Link #234
wissenschaft

Thats my problem. It doesn't serve his order. He would be a tyrant not someone to introduce democracy. Suddenly abolishing slaver would cause great upheaval and very likely start a war. Not suddenly cause peace.

This is like trying to convince me Fidel Castro suddenly became a great defender of capitalism and democracy. NO. Just no.
Old 2017-04-03, 02:19   Link #235
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Thats my problem. It doesn't serve his order. He would be a tyrant not someone to introduce democracy.
You don't know this. Rustal never allied himself with one form of government or the other. He just want order. The form of the government is irrelevant to him as long as he can maintain order and quell rebellions that introduce chaos to order.
Old 2017-04-03, 03:10   Link #236
Skye629

Quote:
Thats my problem. It doesn't serve his order. He would be a tyrant not someone to introduce democracy. Suddenly abolishing slaver would cause great upheaval and very likely start a war. Not suddenly cause peace.

This is like trying to convince me Fidel Castro suddenly became a great defender of capitalism and democracy. NO. Just no.
1. Maybe Ill argue why ur wrong on his decision to make Gjallerhorn a democracy later. But bottom line is that it doesnt matter because by default hes still the supreme leader. Democracy makes it so that at least people like McGillis cant waltz in to seize power on some antiquated laws/beliefs.

2. And WHO pray tell would rise up because the use of human debris is now illegal/banned? Teiwaz? Nah they're playing it safe with Gjallerhorn and keeping their ties. They got the manpower anyways without them. Pirates? Mercenaries? PMCs? Nope if they tried anything they'll be squashed. Rustal sent a potent message of that with Tekkadan. Thats it really, cuz nobody else was shown to be using human debris
Old 2017-04-03, 03:25   Link #237
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:

A tyrant is someone unrestrained by legitimate means.

Rustal clearly not someone like that, he simply want to keep the order in check.
If McGillis and Tekkadan not doing what they did, Rustal won't step up to the game. He come because those two disturb the order, as simple as that.
With such outcome, if utilizing new government model such as democracy is a good way to keep the order in check, I don't see any reason for him to say "No" to that even if he did not get such high position at the end due to he will still be regarded as hero that made change while also maintaining the order.
Old 2017-04-03, 03:31   Link #238
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Because the plot demands that Tekkadan must have a heroic last stand.

Pretty sure that if Tekkadan gave up without a fight, Barbatos and other weapons were confiscated, McGillis and Orga got arrested and executed, then this epilogue happens, you people will rage more.

Quote:
That's funny considering Fidel Castro is actually more similar to McGillis then Rustal.
Old 2017-04-03, 04:16   Link #239
~BC~

Eh, I think it was a good ending. All things considered. The Tekkadan family is still alive and well in spirit, which is what I think was always the most important thing for Orga/Mika and the others that died. So with the exception of Ride, I think they'd consider this a good end.

Rustal being the man to bring about reform is kind of hilarious to me because McGillis' ruthlessness was constantly handwaved by people in the fandom as being necessary "to fight such a corrupt system". And lo and behold, it turns out ruthlessness really was the answer all along.

But seriously, that development definitely needed better build-up. When they showed Rustal's encounter with McGillis as a child, I wondered if maybe they'd go that route. They even made a point of showing him caring about his subordinates. However, it was always just enough that you had to question his real motives; especially given some of his methods. It's a similar issue I had with McGillis but I think that character ultimately faired better in the end as far as portrayals go.

And now I'm convinced that aside from being an overly convenient plot device, Iok's purpose was basically meant to be a bone to the Tekkie fans. They had to make him so unbelievably annoying since they knew he'd be the only one dying on the antagonist's side (well, I guess Nobliss too..).

Ah well, didn't end up being as ground-breaking as some hoped but it was an alright ride.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 07:13   Link #240
Nicaea

On a different note though, what are the chances that they'll continue in this universe? I mean peace seems well under way with the abolition of child slavery and the relationship between Mars and Gjallarhorn (with Kudelia as a leader there's no way a conflict brews out). You'd think that some of the colonies will want some independence as well, but there's been no news of it and Gjallarhorn's reforms will quell the feelings of rebellion given how it's moving towards a less authoritarian way of governance.

This leaves us with the emergence of a third party, which is quite unlikely. There's no secret base hidden in the Astroid Belt that conveniently has a lot of mobile suits and possibly some MA tech.

There's little chance that some of the old Seven Stars families will somehow band together and start creating conflicts. There's been no news on whether those old men had relatives or not and it's very far fetched to begin with.

The redhead engineer? Not possible considering that Bael's cockpit was taken out. Her last scene was some nice symbolism as well. It's far more likely that she's related to Agnika, possibly a descendant. She doesn't really have a stake against the current status quo.

Nobliss's friends? They might harbor some feelings if not for their own profit, but their current position couldn't be any weaker. Teiwaz will probably hold the reins on the Underworld for some time, and Mars has more political clout than them. There's no place where they can run, and there's no one present to manipulate either.

New Technology or resource that causes conflict? Possible, but it will have to happen long after Kudelia's time.

Akatsuki? Nah, it's more likely that Akatsuki will adhere to his parents' views despite his resemblance to Mika. If anything, he'd be the kind of Gundam protagonist who'd primarily fight for peace or at least to stop the conflict.

Setsuna's Cameo? Could be, but similarly to Nobliss's friends he has no power. Not only that, Tekkadan will likely oppose him and the orphanage plus the abolition of child slavery will make it hard for him to recruit new people. And when he was mentioned, Kudelia and co. didn't seem to be overly concerned about him doing something stupid, so it's more likely that he'll get over it in time. Rustal is old and will probably die of age soon.

Quite sad, cause despite the controversial ending and other moments in the second season, this was quite an interesting universe and it might be the first AUverse where there isn't this whole AU vs UC thing going on. It would be a shame to not continue in this universe.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote