AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-16, 07:19   Link #261
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
What cliffhanger, the promo posters and next ep. preview pretty much summed up what will happen I wish they started from episode 4 and cover the first 3 in a 30 second flashback

Anyway, Babu making it back, and Wanko-service were the best parts of the episode... the whole Rea story stinks of overblown drama for hysteria over victimless crimes

Also did DEEN outsource the animation to SHAFT or SilverLink

Scratch that... I guess the reason is Sakai Kyuuta chief animation director and character designer for this, steins;gate, higurashi, ichigo mashimaro, and a hentai or the two art directors who have worked with SHAFT before

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-04-16 at 07:49.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 07:39   Link #262
ZODDGUTS

If they had outsourced it to Shaft, you think the animation would have been this good?
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 07:43   Link #263
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Just saw the first two Eps....... and dropped
Don't cops exists in these anime damn peadophiles
Old 2012-04-16, 07:47   Link #264
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
Her father is a rich man just by looking at the first two episodes. He can easily bribe officers if he has to.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:53   Link #265
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
If they had outsourced it to Shaft, you think the animation would have been this good?
No, but the art would

Quote:
In a fictional work about zombies, isn't it somewhat pointless to ask that

And in any case, it's not like IRL the cops, reporters or the masses touch perverts like her father, they tend to funnel their rage into other groups that are easier to target

Anway, what I hope we will get into after all the melo-drama...

Spoiler for NSFW:

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-04-16 at 08:25.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 07:59   Link #266
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
NIn a fictional work about zombies, isn't it somewhat pointless to ask that

And in any case, it's not like IRL the cops, reporters or the masses touch perverts like her father, they tend to funnel their rage into other groups that are easier to target
Who will call the cops on him in any case? Only Rea knows what is happening and she is too scared/submissive to go against her father.
Aria doesn't care and the maids don't talk because they don't want to lose their job.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 08:00   Link #267
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
What a judgment , ah well just drop it ^^
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 08:02   Link #268
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
If there's anything infuriating about Sankarea, it would be the viewers/fans. One moment they go "Oh hey, the father's totally an arse taking naked pictures of his daughter" and then they go ask for full-length pictures of it. What this anime, and most definitely the manga is doing is combining both child abuse and sexualization at the same time. Then what's the point in tackling child abuse in the first place if you're just gonna make the viewers imagine Naked Sanka Rea? I'd say its the fault of the material and the stupidity of people.
I find a more "you should feel guilty for liking this" feel. And this isn't a series about child abuse and sexualization... it's about zombies, lol.

Quote:
Otherwise though, Sankarea is good. As in REALLY GOOD. Maybe its the SHAFT influence or the fact that DEEN made sure this looks amazing. The directing is impeccable and they handle the manga (which has a lot of faults) with lots of care.
Seems like DEEN is hiring better directors and upping the animation budget of late. Smart move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Her father is a rich man just by looking at the first two episodes. He can easily bribe officers if he has to.
Plus someone would have to press charges and so far, no one has or will.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:13   Link #269
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I find a more "you should feel guilty for liking this" feel. And this isn't a series about child abuse and sexualization... it's about zombies, lol.
That's what makes it extra terrible! From what I've watched, the content has no cynicism. Everything is played straight. Yet people become hypocrites and go sexualize characters you're supposed to feel sympathy for because well "herp.derp.SHE'S HOT".

As you said Sankarea is supposed to be about zombies and it probably will be, but what the anime is presenting so far is much more broader than that. I know it isn't about child abuse and sexualization but those two things are inserted into Rea character development and saying its not an integral part of the series would mean Rea isn't important.
Old 2012-04-16, 13:04   Link #270
Dawnstorm

Quote:
If there's anything infuriating about Sankarea, it would be the viewers/fans. One moment they go "Oh hey, the father's totally an arse taking naked pictures of his daughter" and then they go ask for full-length pictures of it. What this anime, and most definitely the manga is doing is combining both child abuse and sexualization at the same time. Then what's the point in tackling child abuse in the first place if you're just gonna make the viewers imagine Naked Sanka Rea? I'd say its the fault of the material and the stupidity of people.
There's something going on here, and I think it's complicated. But I'm not convinced that the in-show angle (that is: the father's character angle) is one of sexualisation. When I heard about the nude pics in episode one, I did not imagine the kind of picture I've seen in episode two. They were, if anything, downplaying the sexual aspect - going for aesthetics. It sort of changed my point of view from straightforward sexually driven child abuse to something more like excessive pride in... his "creation". Like a confluence of making a child and making art. And confusing love with pride in the beauty you feel responsible for creating. And utter jealousy, not wanting to share.

But at the same time, the show's marketing can easily exploit the more hormone driven male response. The question is how this interferes with the actual show. I'm thinking most people can separate the response to story and the extra-story fanservice content. I personally think the in-story fanservicy elements are actually respectfully done, and serve character. (I'm very easy to put off even by panty shots, but I'm not feeling put off here, at all.) And I think that's what's happening with the hypocritical-seeming response. It's the industry-driven sexualisation while scanning magazines etc. vs. the in-story response while watching the show. I think that both can co-exist, without actually being hypocritical, because the fictional status of the character is much more prominent in the first instance. We wouldn't be hearing nude-shot requests if this were a news story (well, there are always certain kind of people, but that's not what I'm talking about).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 13:39   Link #271
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
There's something going on here, and I think it's complicated. But I'm not convinced that the in-show angle (that is: the father's character angle) is one of sexualisation. When I heard about the nude pics in episode one, I did not imagine the kind of picture I've seen in episode two. They were, if anything, downplaying the sexual aspect - going for aesthetics. It sort of changed my point of view from straightforward sexually driven child abuse to something more like excessive pride in... his "creation". Like a confluence of making a child and making art. And confusing love with pride in the beauty you feel responsible for creating. And utter jealousy, not wanting to share.
Well said. I got the same feeling watching it. What he's doing is obviously wrong and horribly abusive, but it didn't come across to me as being strictly sexual in nature. It's over-protection taken to an extreme degree, and as you point out, he seems to feel a perverse sense of pride in his "accomplishment." (Which is of course ironic, seeing as how his fatherly hand has likely contributed nothing but harm to her development as a person.) I don't think they were being tasteless with the pictures, they evoked a sense of beauty, not sexuality. At least that's how it came across to me. There are plenty of anime out there that sexualize children to an unhealthy degree, this didn't strike me as one of them. That isn't to say people can't take the concept and run with it, as I'm sure some will, but the show itself doesn't feel unwholesome to me.

Just an aside, I'm really liking Ranko. Great personality, beautiful and with perfect curves. My kind of woman.
Old 2012-04-16, 15:39   Link #272
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Second episode........

Some of the new scenes involving Rea's past are anime original, but damn if they didn't make a certain somebody more vile than they already were. While waiting for episode 3 to get to the actual premise is kinda odd, it's not like this episode wasn't good, and in fact makes presents Rea's situation much better than in the manga imho.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 15:58   Link #273
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
That's what makes it extra terrible! From what I've watched, the content has no cynicism. Everything is played straight. Yet people become hypocrites and go sexualize characters you're supposed to feel sympathy for because well "herp.derp.SHE'S HOT".

As you said Sankarea is supposed to be about zombies and it probably will be, but what the anime is presenting so far is much more broader than that. I know it isn't about child abuse and sexualization but those two things are inserted into Rea character development and saying its not an integral part of the series would mean Rea isn't important.
So Rea should be ugly? I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at. If you're pointing out that people can be sexually attracted to people who have serious problems....well, yeah. Humans are weird like that. It doesn't mean people aren't or can't be sympathetic at the same time, but there is also the element of fiction at play here that lets people rationalize more than they might if it were real life people in these situations (hopefully minus the zombies).

Rea's father isn't sexually abusing her, but he is abusing her in the sense of holding her up on an unrealistic pedestal. He's a parent who loves his child so much that it is incomprehensible for her to be a failure, and this is reflected in himself as well. He's rich, famous, in shape, married to a beautiful woman, etc. He wants all of that and more for her, and in a sense supplants the life she wants to have with the life he thinks is best for her. That's why she feels so stifled to begin with, resorting to screaming into a well at night to vent her feelings. Who would believe a girl like her could have problems? Many of us have a hard time sympathizing with someone of her social status because that status blinds us to the person living it. Rich people are notorious for being unhappy.
Old 2012-04-16, 16:52   Link #274
ponyo

That father is too creepy.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 17:05   Link #275
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
So Rea should be ugly? I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at. If you're pointing out that people can be sexually attracted to people who have serious problems....well, yeah. Humans are weird like that. It doesn't mean people aren't or can't be sympathetic at the same time, but there is also the element of fiction at play here that lets people rationalize more than they might if it were real life people in these situations (hopefully minus the zombies).
I think the problem is that they're imagining those fans going up to Rea's father, cursing him out for taking nude pictures of Rea, and then asking for some.

Quote:
Rea's father isn't sexually abusing her, but he is abusing her in the sense of holding her up on an unrealistic pedestal. He's a parent who loves his child so much that it is incomprehensible for her to be a failure, and this is reflected in himself as well. He's rich, famous, in shape, married to a beautiful woman, etc. He wants all of that and more for her, and in a sense supplants the life she wants to have with the life he thinks is best for her.
For her, or from her? He doesn't seem to see her as anything but a part of his perfect life. He doesn't want her to be rich and powerful. He just wants her to be his.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 17:16   Link #276
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think the problem is that they're imagining those fans going up to Rea's father, cursing him out for taking nude pictures of Rea, and then asking for some.
I'd set out a chair and make some popcorn to watch that.

Quote:
For her, or from her? He doesn't seem to see her as anything but a part of his perfect life. He doesn't want her to be rich and powerful. He just wants her to be his.
It's definitely possessive, no argument there. I didn't mean he wanted to make her rich and powerful, technically she already is, being the daughter of a successful family. What I meant was that he has built up this perfect image of who she should be in his mind, and that includes planning her entire life without considering her feelings. It's sort of a "father knows best" taken to a very unhealthy extreme. It's a bit like the parents who live vicariously through their children, in principle, since the parents regard their children's desires to be their own person as unimportant compared to their own desires. I think all parents do this to some degree, but there are some who can't accept that their child is growing out of the life created for them into a life of their own making.
Old 2012-04-16, 20:25   Link #277
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's definitely possessive, no argument there. I didn't mean he wanted to make her rich and powerful, technically she already is, being the daughter of a successful family. What I meant was that he has built up this perfect image of who she should be in his mind, and that includes planning her entire life without considering her feelings. It's sort of a "father knows best" taken to a very unhealthy extreme. It's a bit like the parents who live vicariously through their children, in principle, since the parents regard their children's desires to be their own person as unimportant compared to their own desires. I think all parents do this to some degree, but there are some who can't accept that their child is growing out of the life created for them into a life of their own making.
That might make sense if he were actually giving her anything, rather than just taking stuff away. All he's granting her is "her father's love"; he's not even considering that she (or he, vicariously) might want anything else. He's not making any decisions for her, he's just locking her in a cage.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 21:10   Link #278
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
That might make sense if he were actually giving her anything, rather than just taking stuff away. All he's granting her is "her father's love"; he's not even considering that she (or he, vicariously) might want anything else. He's not making any decisions for her, he's just locking her in a cage.
I think we should focus on Rea's characterization. Other characters are non-essential elements of the story. Without the negative influence, she seems like rebel without any cause. She keeps saying the laugh is just the disguise of sorrow, or something like that. She drinks the poison because she wants to get the cat boy's attention. She even asks him to take the responsibility. Without some major cause, her suicidal inclination would be less realistic. Regardless, the zombie fantasy, or rather....science fiction, is not realistic. Just enjoy the show.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 21:11   Link #279
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Locking her in a cage is him making every decision for her. What friends she can or cannot see. What clothes to shop for. Where she can go and when. He does stuff like this because he thinks he knows best, he thinks he's doing it all for her. He thinks he's giving her the world. He doesn't realize that he's just keeping her from it.

From her perspective he is removing all of her choices, all of her freedom. That makes him cruel from our perspective, but from his perspective he thinks he's doing the right thing. It is warped and cruel from our perspective, which engenders audience sympathy for Rea and anger at him.
Old 2012-04-16, 22:20   Link #280
amasposu

I'm glad I didn't drop the series. I didn't like episode 1 but episode 2 turns out to be really good. Considering that the manga is far ahead, I wonder which chapter the anime will cut off at.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies