AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-11, 15:57   Link #1021
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't mean during the GGO tournament. but way before that when everyone up. I assume the survivors would be interview about what happen inside the SAO. Info like the LC would have struck out like a sore thumb. And how difficult would it have been to get warrant? A group of people inside the game deliberately killed Players even they know there is a chance that person would died in real life - police in the US have gotten warrant for less then this.

are you saying during the interview with the 6000+ survivors, not a single person mention LC and its activities?
Oooh boy....

when the players are released from SoA, they all went through a physical and mental evaluation. People that killed before, depending on their age, either go to prison or a rehab ward.
In that session, The government only care on did you kill or not. the question of what guild you belong to, does not seem important.

I'm sure the story about LC will come to light. But honestly WHO remembered the name of the member of LC?

Remember that in SoA, unless you party with them, player name and guild name is HIDDEN from you.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:01   Link #1022
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
Oooh boy....

when the players are released from SoA, they all went through a physical and mental evaluation. People that killed before, depending on their age, either go to prison or a rehab ward.
In that session, The government only care on did you kill or not. the question of what guild you belong to, does not seem important.

I'm sure the story about LC will come to light. But honestly WHO remembered the name of the member of LC?

Remember that in SoA, unless you party with them, even player name and guild name is HIDDEN from you.
Kirito had a flashback during the strategy meeting to attack LC and one of the characters there did mention at 2 names besides PoH, Johnny Black and XaXa. While i doubt those names would be well known to the public in the game, there should be at least around 20 people (survivors of the crusade) who knows and most likely others (friends of LC's victims).
Old 2012-07-11, 16:03   Link #1023
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Kirito had a flashback during the strategy meeting to attack LC and one of the characters there did mention at 2 names besides PoH, Johnny Black and XaXa. While i doubt those names would be well known to the public in the game, there should be at least around 20 people (survivors of the crusade) who knows and most likely others (friends of LC's victims).
That was a year ago... and such a dark chapter of SoA. Most people choose to forget them.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:04   Link #1024
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
That was a year ago... and such a dark chapter of SoA. Most people choose to forget them.
the brain is funny this way, the harder you try to forget something the clear the memory is.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:05   Link #1025
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Oooh boy....

Incorrect, there was zero criminal liability on the player's part, regardless of whether they PK'd in SAO or not - all of that was placed at Kayaba's feet.

Even if they wanted to pursue criminal charges, it would be nearly impossible prove either the act or intent, not to mention the extreme likely scenario that no existing statute would even have jurisdiction over what happened in SAO.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:07   Link #1026
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Incorrect, there was zero criminal liability on the player's part, regardless of whether they PK'd in SAO or not - all of that was placed at Kayaba's feet.

Even if they wanted to pursue criminal charges, it would be nearly impossible prove either the act or intent, not to mention the extreme likely scenario that no existing statute would even have jurisdiction over what happened in SAO.
Thank you for the decisive fact! Hopefully this'll satisfy Xellos.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:13   Link #1027
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Oooh boy....

I'm sure I read that orange players received the same treatment as red players, close monitoring+rehab.
In Vol. 8 'A Murder Case' there is a loop hole, that since their real bodies are unconscious, murdering in the game could not cause them to go to prison. They will be under constant surveillance though.
Quote:

Remember that in SoA, unless you party with them, player name and guild name is HIDDEN from you.
It's SAO
This is a plot hole, as no green or even orange player would make a party with red players. But fact is, PoH, Johnny Black and XaXa were pretty famous members of LC and their names were widely known. Unless they stated their names themselves, only a survivor of one of their attacks could spread their names.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:15   Link #1028
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Wow after all this time I thought <<PoH>> died during the LC Crusade. I dunno why I kept on thinking that after all this time. XD

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:17   Link #1029
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
It's SAO
This is a plot hole, as no green or even orange player would make a party with red players. But fact is, PoH, Johnny Black and XaXa were pretty famous members of LC and their names were widely known. Unless they stated their names themselves, only a survivor of one of their attacks could spread their names.
hehe, there's not much info on the Laughing Coffin. We never know how their a few of their member names got leaked.

I kinda wish the author would write the side story for the LC crusade, but since he's busy with Allicization...
Old 2012-07-11, 16:18   Link #1030
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Wow after all this time I thought <<PoH>> died during the LC Crusade. I dunno why I kept on thinking that after all this time. XD
Nah, <PoH> Dissapeared after the crusade. Kirito mention <PoH> is not captured nor killed. He just dissapeared.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:21   Link #1031
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

even if you can't prosecuted them (lucky they aren't in the US) i would assume that there would be some monitoring specifically of Red Players. Doesn't seem like anyone was monitoring XaXa and johnny Black in RL.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:22   Link #1032
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
A group of people inside the game deliberately killed Players even they know there is a chance that person would died in real life - police in the US have gotten warrant for less then this.
A warrant for what? warrants are issued when the judge/magistrate believe there is sufficient probable cause that a crime has occurred, it's not something to be used as a precautionary investigative tool.

Quote:
even if you can't prosecuted them (lucky they aren't in the US) i would assume that there would be some monitoring specifically of Red Players. Doesn't seem like anyone was monitoring XaXa and johnny Black in RL.
No sane prosecutor in the US would even bother trying to prosecute the case, it'd be tossed out so quick at the prelim they wouldn't have a chance to blink. And no, you don't go around "monitoring" a couple kids when they haven't committed any crimes, there are better use for police resources.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:54   Link #1033
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Nah, <PoH> Dissapeared after the crusade. Kirito mention <PoH> is not captured nor killed. He just dissapeared.
Oh wow, there's a huge plot there I guess. XD

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:05   Link #1034
Edgardes

Wow...
The new sword of the Kirito is as beautiful as Elucidator.
Edgardes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:07   Link #1035
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Oh wow, there's a huge plot there I guess. XD
I think it's too significant to be a plot hole; perhaps the author intended it? PoH could've just disappeared from the face of the earth. *shrug*
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:32   Link #1036
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I think it's too significant to be a plot hole; perhaps the author intended it? PoH could've just disappeared from the face of the earth. *shrug*
Wasn't Alicization the end of the original web novel? If the author intends to continue even after the current arc, PoH could be a possibly antagonist.
Especially since Kirito got poisoned by XaXa (or was is Johnny Black?), LC still does play a role in the novel.
Old 2012-07-11, 17:33   Link #1037
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Especially since Kirito got poisoned by XaXa (or was is Johnny Black?), LC still does play a role in the novel.
Johnny Black was the one that poisoned Kirito. XaXa was the one Kirito fought in GGO.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:41   Link #1038
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Wasn't Alicization the end of the original web novel? If the author intends to continue even after the current arc, PoH could be a possibly antagonist.
Yeah, it was. I know a few things about the ending of Alicization, and I doubt there'll be another major arc with PoH as the antagonist.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:45   Link #1039
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
A warrant for what? warrants are issued when the judge/magistrate believe there is sufficient probable cause that a crime has occurred, it's not something to be used as a precautionary investigative tool.
I think murder even in cyber space is enough start a investigation.

Quote:
No sane prosecutor in the US would even bother trying to prosecute the case, it'd be tossed out so quick at the prelim they wouldn't have a chance to blink. And no, you don't go around "monitoring" a couple kids when they haven't committed any crimes, there are better use for police resources.
Prosecutors in the US have prosecuted people for cyber bullying. I am pretty sure they are more then ready to prosecuted someone for Murder in Cyber space. And the kids are teens (15-19) plenty old enough to be try as adults for Murder.
Old 2012-07-11, 18:13   Link #1040
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I think murder even in cyber space is enough start a investigation.
In order for a crime to occur, there needs to be both actus reus and mens rea, "guilty act" and "guilty mind" so to speak. You would never be able to establish actus reus as no player actually carried out the actual killing act, which is done by NervGear and Kayaba's program. Since the killing of a video game avatar is not a criminal act in and of itself, you'd have a hard time arguing that it's a criminal act, especially when the players in game have no way of verifying that the act of killing an avatar actually kills the player. This leads to the mens rea, you'd never be able to prove that the PKers intended to cause actual harm to their victims, as again there is no way for them to know for sure that's what will happen, nor would you be able to prove that they intended so even if the players believed it.

Basically, it would be a case so shaky that no prosecutor would be crazy enough to attempt to prosecute, and if they do, even a first year law student would be able to shred their case to pieces with his/her eyes closed.

Quote:
Prosecutors in the US have prosecuted people for cyber bullying. I am pretty sure they are more then ready to prosecuted someone for Murder in Cyber space. And the kids are teens (15-19) plenty old enough to be try as adults for Murder.
This is another key reason why SAO PK would never be charged, least of all as murder. Cyber-bullying can be prosecuted in some states(not all) because it's been legislated into actual laws, with clause establishing the parameters of the crime. I can assure you that there is no such thing as cyber-murder on the book anywhere, and you cannot be charged with a non-existent crime. This is why in some of the cyber-bullying cases the DA had to resort to charging the defendant with other completely unrelated statutes such as computer fraud laws to try to get them with something, as there were no cyber-bullying laws in their state.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality