AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-08-11, 09:37   Link #1
adamzohan

help: sending huge files

I have series of files that needs to be shared with friends. They're more than 1G and I'm looking for a more accessible way to share those files. Can someone help me find reliable sites to upload different files for free?
adamzohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 09:54   Link #2
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

There's the ever reliable rapidshare and megaupload. There are many more but most people use either of these two:

www.rapidshare.com
www.megaupload.com

Be warned of popups and adwares galore, so be careful when - as Akio in Clannad said - treading landmines.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 14:46   Link #3
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Em View Post
There's the ever reliable rapidshare and megaupload. There are many more but most people use either of these two:

www.rapidshare.com
www.megaupload.com

Be warned of popups and adwares galore, so be careful when - as Akio in Clannad said - treading landmines.
What part of larger than 1 gigabyte don't you get? Neither of those sites will handle files that big.

Now one possibility is to rar the file into <100 MB parts, but that's pretty silly.

The easiest way to transfer a large file from one computer to another is the old fashioned was of ftp. Download an ftp server program (there are some decent freeware ones), run it, and then create an account and give the information to the person who needs the file. Then they log into your computer using an ftp client and download it.

Or, in this latest computer age, you could be really lazy and use a torrent program to create a torrent for the file, upload it to a public tracker and your friend could download the torrent while you seed. Then when your friend has the file you delete the torrent.

Of course in this case your file is also shared to the rest of the internet so you might not want to do that.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 15:36   Link #4
M.D. Geist

torrents could work, too
and depending how many friends you want to send stuff to its even way faster than ftp!
M.D. Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 16:10   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Depending on amount of friends and distance from each other,
- USB stick
- FTP
- Torrent
- Find an online source for your files (if you didn't create them) and link your friends there
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 09:45   Link #6
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Adrive

50GB free storage
maximum single file size limit of 2GB
And the ability to share certain files with others (before anyone moans that it isn't a file sharing service).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 10:06   Link #7
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
What part of larger than 1 gigabyte don't you get? Neither of those sites will handle files that big.
Not if you have a premium account.
Also the max is 200mb upload for free

Also note
http://www.megaupload.com/
select file to send - MAX 1024mb

Max download is 500mb for free, so split the file into 2 or 4 archives, its not hard. So for free download

Otherwise buy dvd, burn, put in case put in envelope and mail

IRC is also easy enough
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 11:37   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Adrive

50GB free storage
maximum single file size limit of 2GB
And the ability to share certain files with others (before anyone moans that it isn't a file sharing service).
Some interesting limitations in the Terms of Service (you did read these, of course):

"You may not attempt to circumvent free trial account restrictions including by (a) creating additional user accounts, by including files with an invalid or disguised file format, (b) encryption, or (c) steganography. You may not upload files with an invalid extension or in an invalid format for the purpose of circumventing Adrive's rules. All files that do not match their file extension or type may be deleted by Adrive. Adrive will prosecute those who illegally threaten the system or its services."

What the heck is an "invalid" extension? What if I want to call my file somefile.xzy? Will that mean it can be deleted? What if I encrypt my backup file and save it as encryptedbackup.tgz (in the gzipped tar format)? I read the description of the free trial account ("Basic") which doesn't seem to have any limits on type of file or the nature of the content therein. I'm not saying this isn't a good service, but sometimes the "devil is in the details."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 12:27   Link #9
cyberbeing

Here are a few that I have bookmarked but I'm sure there are probably others.

http://fdcupload.com/ Up to 2GB
http://www.filedropper.com/ Up to 5GB
http://www.flyupload.com/index.php Up to 2GB
http://www.axfc.net/uploader/ 1.5GB min to Unlimited on Chlorine server with other smaller size ranges depending on server (Japanese)
Old 2008-08-13, 06:35   Link #10
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Some interesting limitations in the Terms of Service (you did read these, of course):

"You may not attempt to circumvent free trial account restrictions including by (a) creating additional user accounts, by including files with an invalid or disguised file format, (b) encryption, or (c) steganography. You may not upload files with an invalid extension or in an invalid format for the purpose of circumventing Adrive's rules. All files that do not match their file extension or type may be deleted by Adrive. Adrive will prosecute those who illegally threaten the system or its services."

What the heck is an "invalid" extension? What if I want to call my file somefile.xzy? Will that mean it can be deleted? What if I encrypt my backup file and save it as encryptedbackup.tgz (in the gzipped tar format)? I read the description of the free trial account ("Basic") which doesn't seem to have any limits on type of file or the nature of the content therein. I'm not saying this isn't a good service, but sometimes the "devil is in the details."
An "invalid" extension would be something that isn't recognised by any programme (also if you change an extension of a file it would end in that file also being removed) and as it states in their TOS you can't encrypt a file either.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 09:04   Link #11
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

http://transferbigfiles.com/ or make a torrent using your home ISP as the tracker, easy to do with utorrent

if you use the drop zone you can even pause and continue uploads
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 09:51   Link #12
TheDefend

split your files first.

go googling for hjsplitter since i'm lazy to put a link to their site
TheDefend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 10:49   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
An "invalid" extension would be something that isn't recognised by any programme (also if you change an extension of a file it would end in that file also being removed) and as it states in their TOS you can't encrypt a file either.
My point is that there is no such thing as an "invalid" extension. MS used the notion of a file extension as a method of identifying types of files when MS-DOS was first released. Using extensions for this purpose eliminated the need to spend precious CPU cycles running a program (like the Unix "file" command) to identify a file's type from its content. All mappings from an extension to a type of file are purely conventional. In the Unix world files can have any type of name using any convention you see fit.

Not being able to encrypt removes this service from my list of potential off-site backup alternatives.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 13:57   Link #14
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Well if you and your friend can leave it openn, Simple Socket File Transfer could work. Its what I use to quickly send files to people.

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/ssft/