Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-21, 22:11   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Futakoi Alternative

Now here's an unfortunate disappearance as a result of the forum wipe...

Futakoi Alternative is probably my "surprise favorite" of 2005 - I bought the DVDs without waiting for the fansubs to finish; I was already "sold". It's a show that revels in its randomness, but still uses it to weave a convincing story about facing your inner demons, taking a stand, and falling in love. Artsy as can possibly be, it never failed to impress me, from the "misleading" opening few seconds of the OP to the impressive claymation endings (still don't want to think how much time *those* took them...). It's like the producers were given the franchise, given a budget, and just told: "have fun". (Disclaimer: I actually liked the original Futakoi too, even though it was a bit on the traditional side, storytelling-wise.)

So, who would like this show? Anyone who can appreciate a good love story (even if it's unusual), anyone who's looking for some "not-so-traditional" fare, and, really, anyone who's intrested in anime as a storytelling medium/artform. People who watch anime for the plot probably won't "get" the randomness of it all (though the plot does have a "sense" to it), but if you're looking for more of an experience, this might work for you too. It's probably one of boldest experiments (and deviations from the norm) I've seen in a while; I really enjoyed it a lot.

13 episodes, fully fansubbed by AnimeYuki (with other groups still working on it), and unlikely to be licensed any time soon (read: ever) though, of course, the R2 DVDs come highly recommended for the video quality. There are limited edition "boxes" available (two boxes for the series, appropriately named "Sara" and "Soujyu", containing two DVDs each), but they've also got a limited edition DVD + UMD bundles - sort of neat for people with PSPs, but who still want to have it to watch on TV (I actually think it'd be neat if they did more bundles like this). Also recommended by me are the soundtracks - quite an interesting variety of tunes on there, representing the variety in the show. Personally, I think the slower songs are the highlight, but I'd always tend to say that.

(If I can "de-lazify" myself at some point, maybe I can add pictures... that'd be good... )
Old 2005-12-21, 22:33   Link #2
Juan Valdez

I agree completely. I enjoyed Futakoi Alternative immensely. It was zany, random, hysterical, and at the same time surprisingly touching. Not to mention beautifully animated.

You're right that it might not appeal to the casual anime watcher though. In fact when I watched the first episode I didn't really think much of it, but as I kept watching I got more and more drawn in. So for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, download it and give it a go. You might just find yourself enamored like I did.
Old 2005-12-22, 02:04   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
13 episodes, fully fansubbed by AnimeYuki (with other groups still working on it), and unlikely to be licensed any time soon (read: ever) though, of course, the R2 DVDs come highly recommended for the video quality.
Sadly I have to agree that this won't ever be licensed. Even if the original Futakoi gets licensed (which doesn't seem at all improbable to me), I think that Alternative will languish in the unlicensed bin for the remainder of its life.

Once in a while a show comes along which is just too radical, crossing too many genres and too hard to classify to get licensed.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-22, 02:26   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Sadly I have to agree that this won't ever be licensed. Even if the original Futakoi gets licensed (which doesn't seem at all improbable to me), I think that Alternative will languish in the unlicensed bin for the remainder of its life.

Once in a while a show comes along which is just too radical, crossing too many genres and too hard to classify to get licensed.
And that's a pretty damn good reason why there's still a use for fansubs, even today. (Well, it's either that or we all learn Japanese, and that's a bit more tricky... )
Old 2005-12-22, 02:39   Link #5
Ilpalazzo-sama

I really liked this series. The combined random comedy, drama and action really well, and though it is a weird mix, it is a very good one.
Old 2005-12-22, 04:12   Link #6
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:

As someone said before (and now I'm saying the same at these days...lol...): If Excel Saga could get licensed, anything can. Not that I want Futakoi Alternative licensed or anything.
Old 2005-12-22, 06:44   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The difference between Excel Saga and Futakoi Alternative is that Excel Saga is basically meaningless wild fun while Alternative is deeply meaningful wild fun.

That contradiction is why it has less chance of licensing. It makes Alternative harder to classify and market. You could be right though, we'll just have to wait and see.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-22, 06:52   Link #8
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
The difference between Excel Saga and Futakoi Alternative is that Excel Saga is basically meaningless wild fun while Alternative is deeply meaningful wild fun.

That contradiction is why it has less chance of licensing. It makes Alternative harder to classify and market. You could be right though, we'll just have to wait and see.
Personally i think the original Futakoi has a higher chance to get licensed. I really liked that one too.
Old 2005-12-25, 15:11   Link #9
misakichii

so what is this futakoi alternative about? i saw futakoi but is it the same? someone...anyone mind filling me in?
Old 2005-12-25, 15:44   Link #10
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by misakichii
so what is this futakoi alternative about? i saw futakoi but is it the same? someone...anyone mind filling me in?
From AniDB:

"An alternative series to Futakoi, where alternative is not quite the right word. Besides maybe parts of the setting, it`s completely different.

There`s Rentarou, a 21 year old good for nothing dropped out of college guy, who calls himself a private detective. And there are the Shirogane Twins from the first Futakoi series, Sara and Souju who kind of "work" as his assistants.

This is where the action, comedy and misadventures start and lead our trio from one pinch into the next."

Personal comment: it is a *really* weird mix of drama, comedy and romance, but nevertheless, a very good one.
Old 2005-12-25, 15:55   Link #11
Kensuke

Yeah, while Futakoi was light-hearted romance with basically no action, Futakoi Alternativeis one of the best series I have ever seen that combines action, total crazyness and drama successfully. I loved the series, just watch the first episode.
Old 2005-12-30, 15:04   Link #12
Krapmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Now here's an unfortunate disappearance as a result of the forum wipe...

Futakoi Alternative is probably my "surprise favorite" of 2005 - I bought the DVDs without waiting for the fansubs to finish; I was already "sold"......... There are limited edition "boxes" available (two boxes for the series, appropriately named "Sara" and "Soujyu", containing two DVDs each), but they've also got a limited edition DVD + UMD bundles - sort of neat for people with PSPs, but who still want to have it to watch on TV (I actually think it'd be neat if they did more bundles like this). Also recommended by me are the soundtracks - quite an interesting variety of tunes on there, representing the variety in the show. Personally, I think the slower songs are the highlight, but I'd always tend to say that.

(If I can "de-lazify" myself at some point, maybe I can add pictures... that'd be good... )
I've noticed that some R2 DVDs have an English sub option. Does the Futakoi Alternative set have one, or am I just a tool? Please let me know!
Old 2005-12-30, 16:18   Link #13
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krapmaster
I've noticed that some R2 DVDs have an English sub option. Does the Futakoi Alternative set have one, or am I just a tool? Please let me know!
I'm afraid not... in fact, I've yet to buy an R2 anime DVD with English subs on it, personally (or any subs for that matter).

(Hmm... maybe I should think about "de-lazifying" myself already... )
Old 2005-12-30, 21:41   Link #14
Krapmaster

aww dag. thanks for tellin me. I cant read Japanese too well, so I probably misread on amazon.
Old 2006-02-11, 18:08   Link #15
Vei1Side
Shirimasen

Send a message via AIM to Vei1Side
where can this r2 dvd be purchased? i cant seem to find it on ebay or any anime import stores.
Old 2006-02-11, 19:40   Link #16
KaiserBasara
Bannnned

I liked the first futakoi a lot, it's a good "marathon anime". But this one i didn't care for. The animation is pretty weird, everything looks kind of cloudy, yet it's bright. The first episode was funny when one of those twins were drilling something. I also liked the climax and ending, but it was too bad the whole castle deal was a dream.

Really, I didn't get these "comedy fight scenes". They weren't really good fight scenes, but they weren't funny either. That squid Ika-kun or whoever was stupid.

The best part was the claymation. That claymation was totally awesome.

Actually, I didn't even remember any of the characters names except for Kira and Yura. And they were the same characters of the first futakoi, i guess the first series wasn't important enough for me to remember the characters' names.

Also, weren't the white haired twins older in the original futakoi?

At least the main character is a lot cooler in this anime. In the original futakoi, the main character was cookie cutter.

Also, i don't think this anime is random and zany. It is one of those anime that switches between drama and comedy. Now if you want random, you should watch Pani Poni Dash. I didn't see it, but i could tell it was random by seeing screen caps on another forum that should remain nameless.

Well, that's my mindless review of this show. It's good if your looking for a complete show on animesuki.
Old 2006-02-11, 19:51   Link #17
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vei1Side
where can this r2 dvd be purchased? i cant seem to find it on ebay or any anime import stores.
Try CD Japan. (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp)
Old 2006-02-11, 20:59   Link #18
ayyo

eeeeeeeeeeeee, no way I can keep quiet after that post.

Quote:
I liked the first futakoi a lot, it's a good "marathon anime". But this one i didn't care for. The animation is pretty weird, everything looks kind of cloudy, yet it's bright. The first episode was funny when one of those twins were drilling something. I also liked the climax and ending, but it was too bad the whole castle deal was a dream.
It wasn't a dream, you completely missed the whole freaking point behind the most important statement and the show's main genre, 'romance drama'.

Quote:
Actually, I didn't even remember any of the characters names except for Kira and Yura. And they were the same characters of the first futakoi, i guess the first series wasn't important enough for me to remember the characters' names.

Also, weren't the white haired twins older in the original futakoi?
NO, actually, ffs, weferwfrg35ytg h6h56h56h556h4, dwedfwr, they're freaking younger in Futakoi. They were 14 years old there and 16 years old here. And notbeing able to remember the main characters name tells how much mised the whole story, point, and everything.

Quote:
Also, i don't think this anime is random and zany. It is one of those anime that switches between drama and comedy. Now if you want random, you should watch Pani Poni Dash. I didn't see it, but i could tell it was random by seeing screen caps on another forum that should remain nameless.
Again, what the fuck. You even somehow insult PPD! at the same time too. What the fuck.

You missed the whole point and shit and shit and shit with Futa Alt, and fuck, I can't write a proper complaint flame atm, screw it.

---------

Sorry about that, the fanboy in me likes to attack crappy, weak criticism on things I care about, in this case, a top 5 anime.

Futakoi Alternative is indeed something you can't label a genre under, which is one of its very high points. It blands several genres and themes that usually don't mix well and the end result was something unique and great.

Besides the obvious (claymation, the high animation budget, great bgm, great VAs), FA also had the storyline pan out from the very beginning. Every episode even those that look fillerish and plotless had a point and reason to it. Especially in the beginning when each episode decided to focus a certain theme. The episodes also seem to jump and fly all over the place, jumping from flashback to present ten times in two minutes, supposely. But everything meshs well and had a point and you can tell ufotable planned everything well.

Basically all the grounds got covered before the twist, the daily days, the detective days, the days where nothing happens, the days alone before the twins, the days alone after the twins, and story of a similiar situation with another set of twins.

Even the squid stuff as silly as it was, was suppose to show the crazyness, absurdity and extreme-ness that contrasted to the basic fundamental that basically in the end, all these crazy fireworks, secret organization, human squids, yakuzas etc etc, is a love story.

And it was a well told love story by a male lead that has his own issues. He was already an awesome character in the beginning and he still grew up to be an even better person at the end. Already at the beginning, his relationship with the twins is so high, in erogames terms, this is the relationship you would see at the epilogue of the best/true ending. Everything you need to know about how about it is seen in those moments when him and the twinsare just spending time together doing detective work, staring at night sky together, or chasing ufo together, or walking together, or going to public bath together, or sleeping together, or waiting for the phone call that never comes together, singing together, etc etc. There was no need for screams of sukis and such, everything was done peacefully in the background and subtle-ishly.

And of course, his own issue, his father and what he is. Through an episode, we already knew his past life was a bit whacky with him being a bike gang/yakaza member, fist fighting graduate, and suspected from college. Then we learn that his father was a hero of all sorts that everyone admires to and he even admits him when he sees his heart in action. However, is he himself or just falling his fathers shadow? Every calls him second gen, which is a huge respect itself, but does it also mean he's just his fathers shadow? How come he can never remember the face of someone he supposely admires and fllows so much? What does he really think of his father? And why did that one time he cried, why did he seperate from someone he loved? Why did he not even go to his funeral? And this arc operates in the background to the main arc of course, the idea of "Three of us together".

And there was heavy monologue in that arc where Rentarou questions what he thinks of the twins, 'what ifs' and etc that shows he's just basically a kick ass male lead of a romance drama. The twins also not without their own greatness and dilemma. Their happiness together, was it real happiness or is just all a lie? Was it just something to just waste time on knowing what the ultimate future is? Were they serious about their time together? What did they really think of Rentarou? Was he just like a party that was thrown before going on a mission that you know you won't come back from?

Everything just screams love from ufotable, from the claymaton, to high animation care, to well planning. I'm kind of disappointed in the english anime community for the low recognization of Futakoi Alternative, and even some that bad mouth it with extremely, extremely, extremely crappy reasons. Yes, it is off the wall in some ways. Yes, there are moments where it SUPPOSELY jumps from seriousness to unseriousness and jumps from past to present. It may even get to the point of confusing, so confusing that you should go back to playing Tetris or if thats too hard, Ping Pong. It's obviously nt for everyone like sky diving isn't for everyone. It's shame most people get thrown off by the first episode or sudden icrease of drama midway, since they could be missing an excellent story, or watch the whole thing and miss the whole point. Ultimately, everything makes perfect sense from beginning to end if you stick for the train ride. And last stop on the ride is one where you have fellings of fuzziness in the stomach and tranquility for ending and feelings of depression that its over.
Old 2006-02-12, 16:44   Link #19
KaiserBasara
Bannnned

Well, ayyo, i honestly didn't really care about this anime. I only saw it because i started watching a few episodes nearly a year ago and had to finish it. I wasn't even paying attention to what was happening.

But i want to see Pani Poni Dash. It looks totally hilarious.

Quote:
NO, actually, ffs, weferwfrg35ytg h6h56h56h556h4, dwedfwr, they're freaking younger in Futakoi. They were 14 years old there and 16 years old here. And notbeing able to remember the main characters name tells how much mised the whole story, point, and everything.
Yeah, I can't get used to them being 14. One person on anime nfo said "No no no this anime is so WRONG!"

Oh, and i don't talk leetspeak.

Quote:
Sorry about that, the fanboy in me likes to attack crappy, weak criticism on things I care about, in this case, a top 5 anime.
That's cool.

By the way, what's that in your avatar? Is that the chick from Futakoi Alternative?
Old 2006-02-12, 16:59   Link #20
Ilpalazzo-sama

ayyo: whoa, nice summary, I pretty much agree with you. FA is way too underrated and it is one of the best shows of 2005. I should rewatch it sometimes this year...

Oh, and the two OSTs, they are just purely awesome. It's one of the best instrumental anime soundtracks I've ever heard. Which reminds me, i should listen to them again.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, comedy