AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-10-09, 08:17   Link #261
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The A-Team is being on their A-game for once.

Both chapters out and translated!

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 12:19   Link #262
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Very interesting turn of events... It seems that Murim is gonna try to use Shioon against nine dragons. I have a feeling that the black heaven technique is the key to reviving his ki channel, the most likely reason why he left it with Shioon.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 12:40   Link #263
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Very interesting turn of events... It seems that Murim is gonna try to use Shioon against nine dragons. I have a feeling that the black heaven technique is the key to reviving his ki channel,
Plausible, but...

Quote:
the most likely reason why he left it with Shioon.
Don't forget he gave Shioon his phone before he knew he was going to destroy his ki center.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 13:03   Link #264
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

But it begs the question. Could Nine Dragon had attacked the Alliance Chief through Shiion in a way that did not destroy his ki-center?

If he could, then that depends on his perspective of 'ousting Shiion.' Did he legitimately believe that Shiion is better off being a normal human like he was, or did he do it because he knows there is a way for Shiion to unknowingly restore his ki through the Black Heaven/Earth technique? Both ways could be seen as a 'good perspective' on its own.

Besides, there's little other wildcards available to healing Shiion. Being the head of Sunwo now, if there's any normal method that could heal them, they would have dragged Shiion's ass to the hospital ASAP.

The only unknowns at the moment are :

- the magic pill thing that Shiion took from Shiho, which granted him the immense ki pool. Though it seems doubtful, since it was never brought up in regards to potentially heal him, as there are more than one, even if only few exist.

- Sosul's unique body make-up.

- Black Heaven/Earth technique. It's the only black box regarding ki that Murim doesn't know anything about, so there might be something about restoration of ki... maybe. Plus we don't know if the video recordings actually cover the whole BHE technique, since NDA's flashback showed there being a ancient book or something on BHE.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2010-10-09, 14:01   Link #265
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The black heaven and earth technique is the most likely method. The way it was described to Shioon in the video is a fairly strong foreshadowing.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 14:12   Link #266
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
But it begs the question. Could Nine Dragon had attacked the Alliance Chief through Shiion in a way that did not destroy his ki-center?

If he could, then that depends on his perspective of 'ousting Shiion.' Did he legitimately believe that Shiion is better off being a normal human like he was,
)Probably. What's the Murim ever brought him (Goomoonryong, I mean) but heartache?

Quote:
or did he do it because he knows there is a way for Shiion to unknowingly restore his ki through the Black Heaven/Earth technique?
He's cut ties with the kid. It's not like he told him to practice despite his destroyed ki center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The black heaven and earth technique is the most likely method. The way it was described to Shioon in the video is a fairly strong foreshadowing.
Well, yeah, since it's the only technique he's likely to practice on his own. Plus, the chief didn't want it for nothing. It's probably the best technique around. (Though for it to regenerate a destroyed ki center, too, isn't it kinda broken?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 15:28   Link #267
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
We'll probably never know that - we aren't fully aware of his full repertoire of techniques and he probably chose the one that was "safest" (read: "most efficient" - after all, it almost cost Shihoon his life). Just like in real life, enemies hiding behind human shields pose an extremely tricky situation and it's often to the disadvantage of the party that standing in front of the said shield. Shock value is sometimes used to negate that (dis)advantage (forcefully make the hostage drop down, surprising the hostage taker) but some people might not want to take that gamble since it can easily backfire. However, I think the deciding factor was Goomoonryong's decision of what to do with his disciple.

Quote:
If he could, then that depends on his perspective of 'ousting Shiion.' Did he legitimately believe that Shiion is better off being a normal human like he was, or did he do it because he knows there is a way for Shiion to unknowingly restore his ki through the Black Heaven/Earth technique? Both ways could be seen as a 'good perspective' on its own.
I'm not sure - the way I see it, he knew he was plunging straight into the abyss after what happened to Shiho and he very well knew he was about to drag Shihoon down with him. Loyalty to his master notwithstanding, the kid didn't deserve a life in exile, all of it spent running away from a society he was trying to fit in peacefully. He just had no right to keep Shihoon in a world he was poised to destroy in the far future.

Using that sucker punch was one way to prevent Goomoonryong's disciple from ever treading that path. Formally expelled, bereft of his potential as a martial artist and possibly filled with resentment (in theory) at the unexpected betrayal, Shihoon would only be left with countless reasons to drop out of the Murim and cut all ties with his master.

For Goomoonryong, it also gave him the invaluable opportunity to disrupt the endless cycle of a disciple having to shoulder the sins and burden of his disgraced/fallen master.

So in some way or another, it remained a win-win situation, though it'd be tinged with bitterness.

Quote:
Besides, there's little other wildcards available to healing Shiion. Being the head of Sunwo now, if there's any normal method that could heal them, they would have dragged Shiion's ass to the hospital ASAP.
Spoiler for New Waves ch.1:

Quote:
- the magic pill thing that Shiion took from Shiho, which granted him the immense ki pool. Though it seems doubtful, since it was never brought up in regards to potentially heal him, as there are more than one, even if only few exist.
It boosted his ki reserves, true, but if Shihoon's entire energetic plumbing is shot to hell and gone, giving him another might not yield anything - supposing the said miracle pill is some sort of multi-spectrum panacea that can even cure you from a surprise Ebola infection. If anything, it could give him some nasty side effects if the "explosively efficient" medication is trying to work its way through a dangerously deteriorated network.

Second...de facto head he might be but would the top brass be willing to give one more pill to him? He's still Goomoonryong's disciple, expulsion or not.

Third...
Spoiler for New Waves:

Quote:
- Sosul's unique body make-up.
That's assuming they meet again sometime very soon to execute an "exchange of knowledge". Right now I'm under the impression that she's taking a hike around the world, possibly with Goomoonryong.
Old 2010-10-09, 17:07   Link #268
blade82

she went with him to find a cure for her body no
and if Shion become the head of the sunwoo clan does that mean hell be engaged to Sosul
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 17:20   Link #269
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
she went with him to find a cure for her body no
We were talking about Shihoon, not Goomoonryong. The cure to Shihoon's current condition cannot be found unless he actually enters in contact with Sosul. Which might not happen before some time.
Quote:
and if Shion become the head of the sunwoo clan does that mean hell be engaged to Sosul
No.
By entrusting her medallion to Shihoon, she practically bestows the Sunwoo's proctection upon him (as well as conferring him all the privileges attached to the position of Clean Head) and signifies that she's stepping down from her seat of power. Regardless of possible underlying symbolism (entrusting a very important keepsake to somebody of the opposite gender could be interpreted as a betrothal, but it'd be one hell of a conservative society or one that attaches hidden meanings to symbolic gestures), it doesn't mean she has designated him as her betrothed.
She just gave him her title as Clan head. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 2010-10-09, 20:36   Link #270
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
However, I think the deciding factor was Goomoonryong's decision of what to do with his disciple.

Loyalty to his master notwithstanding, the kid didn't deserve a life in exile, all of it spent running away from a society he was trying to fit in peacefully.

For Goomoonryong, it also gave him the invaluable opportunity to disrupt the endless cycle of a disciple having to shoulder the sins and burden of his disgraced/fallen master.

So in some way or another, it remained a win-win situation, though it'd be tinged with bitterness.
I agree with that, which is why I said it depends on Goomoonryong's perspective. What did he value more? Was it believing that Shiion is better off 'entirely removed' from Murim, by a mercy destruction of his ki center and future as a martial artist, or did he still value the fact that he was his disciple and a highly talented individual, and simply did a preemptive measure to protect him from Murim. ( but not entirely his well-being as martial artist ) Both has a positive outlook, just one is less extreme than the other.

Quote:
Spoiler for New Waves ch.1:
Just because it's only in title doesn't mean there aren't those who are trying to live up to some degree of loyalty behind it and help him. At the very least, it seems that KaShung and his rival had given up on trying to heal him out of futility. At least I believe the slint-eyes isn't trying to manipulate him, even if the old dogs of Sunwo are.

Quote:
That's assuming they meet again sometime very soon to execute an "exchange of knowledge". Right now I'm under the impression that she's taking a hike around the world, possibly with Goomoonryong.
Well, there's someone who looks quite... similar to an older Sosul in the sketches for New Waves... so maybe not too long.

Old 2010-10-09, 21:01   Link #271
DarkLordOfkichiku

Unhappy

I like the new girls. Especially the "deliquent". Well, if she's the same one that we see briefly in chapter 69, then chances are that she was assigned to protect Shioon from behind that scene. Shioon may just have had the (bad? ) luck of running into her right after she ran into those who seem to be after Shioon's life.

On another note...
Spoiler for sneak preview of the enxt chapter:
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:18   Link #272
Johnny
Working the bags...

She has different eyes and if she was the one then Lee wouldn't have been so flustered when he showed up at school...

New chick at the end, can't really say if she's friend or foe yet...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:39   Link #273
Xacual

So I just noticed but new series is weekly was old series monthly? If so yay more frequent chapters.

I liked chapter 1, though I find it hard to believe that Sosul giving him that pendent wouldn't equate to some kind of romantic promise. It's the proof of a clan leadership so if the female heir bestows it on a man saying he is the best choice for a leader, though I could just be overthinking that in my hope since I like Sosul best. If I remember right Momongi is a member of the clan as well so we definitely know that Shioon has some support, I trust the guy who tried to warn him in this chapter too.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 21:52   Link #274
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Sosul obviously views him romantically, but Shiion doesn't because that would make him a lolicon. He doesn't know that she's actually 15 years old with an actual older form ( once she's cured ) after all. ( Even if he does, her 6-years old form isn't helping. )

I'm suspecting that once things come to shove, Shiion will be the 3rd faction ( leading the youngsters as well as any pseudo-friends like Momongi ) within the current old Murim-Black Forest Defense feud.

Old 2010-10-09, 22:26   Link #275
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
She has different eyes and if she was the one then Lee wouldn't have been so flustered when he showed up at school...
I think you're wrong there, because if you observe page 4 of chapter 69, then you can see that the earrings are the same, at least. and I think he'd be flustered regardless because the situation may have taken a turn he didn't expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
So I just noticed but new series is weekly was old series monthly? If so yay more frequent chapters.
Yay indeed . Though the author has warned us that it might not go so smoothly at first...

Quote:
I'm suspecting that once things come to shove, Shiion will be the 3rd faction ( leading the youngsters as well as any pseudo-friends like Momongi ) within the current old Murim-Black Forest Defense feud.
In short, we'll have the Touma-faction of The Breaker!
Old 2010-10-09, 23:44   Link #276
KrimzonStriker

Honestly, I can't tell which is better, having an elite martial arts clan under your control or having your supposedly limitless martial arts potential back. Hopefully he manages to get both some time in the future, but imean while, if they decide to play this up I wonder how well Shiion will do as an administrative leader who now has to rely on his wits and charisma over his physical power in a world built around it. Not going to be easy I can tell you that, and also are there any ideas as to who exactly is after him and why?
Old 2010-10-10, 00:51   Link #277
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Hopefully he manages to get both some time in the future, but imean while, if they decide to play this up I wonder how well Shiion will do as an administrative leader who now has to rely on his wits and charisma over his physical power in a world built around it. Not going to be easy I can tell you that
Yeah, while I see him as being charismatic (of sorts), there's really no telling how he'll do at administrative duties, assuming he'll have those .

In any event, I expect he'll realize soon enough that he isn't as much "out" of the Murim world as he'd like - he did mention in this chapter that he shouldn't to go back because it could be dangerous, but as it looks now, things'll be dangerous for him no matter what he does. Under such circumstances, he'll probably realize that it's better to try and get a hold of the situation rather than letting it spiral out of control.

Quote:
And also are there any ideas as to who exactly is after him and why?
Well, there's probably no shortage of people who wants to kill Goomoonryongs disciple (ki or not). It could be the Iron Fist school - those guys seem to be fairly die-hard about their grudges (not that there's any shortage of those in the Murim). It could also be that it's the old man who is after his life - now, there's one who might be more vegeanceful towards Shioon than most, because Goomoonryong has practically destroyed his influence in the Murim and humilated him to the core.

There's other probable sources outside of the Murim too though. It's possible that it's a splinter-faction among the Sunwoo who wants Shioon out of the way. Another possiblity is that it's the Black Defence Group who wants him dead - the boss seem to want to keep Goomoonryong a killing machine and getting rid of the only one now alive that might be able to reach out to him seems like a possiblity too.

I think it's most likely a matter of a grudge, though. I guess we'll see in a few chapters.
Old 2010-10-10, 01:06   Link #278
KrimzonStriker

Good points all around, and I made mention of the administrative duties/wits because I got some serious deja'vu after seeing a physically weak wimp in charge of a massively powerful and influential organization when I looked at my avatar. I doubt it'd go down that route, but it'd be a nice twist for a martial arts series as it was with the mecha franchise if that was that case

Hmm, didn't think there'd still be so many after all those assurances from the hospital, a part of me thought Shiion would have tried to get his powers back on his own, so maybe I was caught off guard that circumstances would force him back in again. Also, I was under the impression that the old man was dead/dying even though Goomoonryong didn't finish him off, at least that was what I thought the martial arts master who stopped him said anyway.
Old 2010-10-10, 01:44   Link #279
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Good points all around, and I made mention of the administrative duties/wits because I got some serious deja'vu after seeing a physically weak wimp in charge of a massively powerful and influential organization when I looked at my avatar. I doubt it'd go down that route, but it'd be a nice twist for a martial arts series as it was with the mecha franchise if that was that case
Haha, well, now, I really can't imagine Shioon being a Lelouch in the litteral sense. He's no Magnificent Bastard, that's for sure . Althrough I guess he may turn off to be a better leader than anyone thinks.

Quote:
Hmm, didn't think there'd still be so many after all those assurances from the hospital.
Well now, I'm sure Gangsung meant well, but I don't think it's going to stop those of the murim who are the most die-hard about getting revenge. You can only control people to a certain extent after all and we've already seen how reckless these Murim can get when they want revenge - the glasses guy and the guy before him, not to mention the Iron Fist leader. And if the guiys in question are outide of the murim - well, not much Gangsung can do there. We also musn't forget that right now, the Murim are facing difficult times - their grip is slipping, so maybe some feels that they should take advantage of that to kill Shioon.

If anything, that the guy in the striped suit (forgot his name) thought Shioon'd only be safe within the walls of the Sunwoo clan is, if anything, implying that whatever protection Gangsung has provided is rather thin or functions only within certain limits...

Quote:
a part of me thought Shiion would have tried to get his powers back on his own, so maybe I was caught off guard that circumstances would force him back in again.
Yeah, join the club . Still, while I didn't think it'd be like this (thought he'd jump at the chance to remain in the Murim world and start trying to find a way to regain his powers) I feel that it wasn't entirely unexpected that it'd turn out this way. Firs toff, sicne Goomoonryong appears to have wanted for him to be safe, he perhaps thinks he shouldn't turn his back on that. Or possibly, it's just a matter of him lacking self-confindence since he is now powerless, therefore he feels that he has no place in such a dangerous world. Whichever it is, he's likely to be forced into it again by the circumstances indeed...

Quote:
Also, I was under the impression that the old man was dead/dying even though Goomoonryong didn't finish him off, at least that was what I thought the martial arts master who stopped him said anyway.
I don't think that's quite how he meant. I think he referred more to the fact that Goomooonryong had crushed him not only mentally (well, look at his face when he was about to be stomped ) but also politically - he has now shown his ugly face to the Murim (remember that he was trying to play the benevolent leader before, hiding his true purpose behind that face), he made several bad decisions, and he lost totally to Goomoonryong, so he lost all political influence. I think he's still very much alive - but a bitter, bitter man with little influence if any (and that little influence may have been what he used here, assuming that he's the one behind the plot for Shioons life).
Old 2010-10-10, 04:10   Link #280
Iron21

Hope this weekly thing goes good for the author. He always seem to be having trouble with something.

Plus doing his other manhwa, I'm expecting to see more comments like, "I'm tired and need some rest" on his blog.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gar, harem, manhwa, martial arts, new waves