AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 19:37   Link #61
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, and those are the same type of people who'd do just about anything short of killing someone or robbing a store to get their stuff for free. You'll never change people like that. Fansubs or no fansubs these people will still find some way in one form or another to watch the movie for free. You'll never change that. What we need to do is instead of worrying about whether the movie will get fansubed or not and the honor behind that, we need to make sure to educate everyone we know and our community that leaching is bad, buying is good.

While some people may never change their stingy leaching ways, a lot will if you do it right.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 19:41   Link #62
wao
OK.

Or *cough hack cough* people who happen to live outside of the States and Japan...
Old 2004-10-24, 00:32   Link #63
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, but you guys don't count. hehe. J/K.
Old 2004-11-19, 19:48   Link #64
Timon
The Timon

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
well, I just can't hold back from making another post.
Seems like it will be premiering quite soon. I sure know I'd be in line if I lived over there. Anyone here who might be seeing it? Anyone know of any other showings out of the country? Any reviews or such things out yet? I really hope it turns out good!
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 22:28   Link #65
Sakuya
*Artist

They still haven't showed it yet? I thought they did.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 22:47   Link #66
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

No, it hasn't. It got hung up again. But it should be coming out soon. I don't know of any more major hangups with its release at this point. ^_^
Old 2004-11-23, 03:48   Link #67
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm... according to the official sites, it has already aired in 11/20...

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~ccs50140/beyond_cloud/index.html
http://www.kumonomukou.com/theater.html

So anyone here has watched it? I expected it to be something really really BIG, but it turned out not as much reaction as I have anticipated?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 04:46   Link #68
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Hmm... according to the official sites, it has already aired in 11/20...

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~ccs50140/beyond_cloud/index.html
http://www.kumonomukou.com/theater.html

So anyone here has watched it? I expected it to be something really really BIG, but it turned out not as much reaction as I have anticipated?
It sucks

Nah, it wasn't powow blow your mind away.

http://daike.hp.infoseek.co.jp

Plus, it got dwarfed by Howl's Moving Castle.

You must remember this guy is an amateur. He doesn't know how to do character keyframe animation. He takes digital photographs and makes them beautiful. He's good at using Lightwave and making contrails and reflections and lens flares. He's also a good director, as evidenced by the music-video-like pace of most of his work, including those for h-game company minori.

That aside, I need a way to see this film AND give the guy some of my money to show support. And the yen is so strong right now it's near impossible for me at this time to go to Japan.

Last edited by DaFool; 2004-11-23 at 04:56.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 10:51   Link #69
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Dude, the yen isn't strong. It's the dollar that's tanked lately. We're loosing ground against almost every currency in the world. But that's another story. As far as the show goes, I too was surprised to hear that it did in fact come out on time and more surprised to find that it aired on the day that I last posted. I IM'ed a friend of mine to see if he'd seen it and he had, so I asked what he thought of it. His rating of it was 10/10 for animation, but only 5/10 for story, and 4/10 for charecter development.

Kind of depressing given how long we've waited. Then again this is just the opinion of one person so far. kj ought to tell us what he thought of this if he's seen it.
Old 2004-11-23, 12:12   Link #70
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, despite all, this is gonna be a must-watch for me, have waited for over one and half year already. But the comments indeed sound depressing
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 14:05   Link #71
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
It sucks

Nah, it wasn't powow blow your mind away.

http://daike.hp.infoseek.co.jp
Does that site have some sort of review? If they do, I can't find it.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:24   Link #72
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I'm just curious I saw a dvd at the store today titled "The Place Promised in our Early Days" and was wondering if that movie is in fact this Beyond the Clouds movie? Looks interesting, just wanted to dig up some info on it.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:26   Link #73
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Yes it is.

infot at www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/- just type the name on the search engine

I thought that movie was great, the characters were great, maybe a little overdramatic, the story itself is well done. The best thing abou the movie is the music and art/animation.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:30   Link #74
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Well I guess a mod should change the title of this thread then! Thanks Mr. Hawg I definitly have to pick it up now!

EDIT- LOL sorry Mr. Hawq!

Last edited by Tommy; 2006-03-08 at 03:16.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 23:55   Link #75
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

No problem, and the name is Mr.Hawq
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 08:04   Link #76

Just saw it on DVD, and I don't like it as much as I like Voices of a Distant Star. Actually I didn't know it was from the same director, though as I was watching it I thought stylistically it's similar to Voices (I probably knew it--otherwise I wouldn't have rented it--but it took so long for me to get it that I've forgot about this. )

For one, I really hate stories that are heavily dependent on McGuffins. As a starting point, sure, but don't keep fscking referring to it if there's no intention on ever explaining its functions / working principles / reasons to exist / etc. I know some (most?) people aren't bothered by this, but for some reason it just really irks me. My above complaint is applicable to Voices as well. However, since it was such a short piece I can understand why the director decided to put his emphasis elsewhere.

Lastly, the pacing of the story is too slow for me. I think the story would have worked better had it been 1 hour instead of 90 minutes.
Old 2006-06-25, 12:18   Link #77
martino
makes no files now

You are right about the pace. It was quite slow, but I believe that it was the intention of the director. It just isn't one of these action animes, but one which contains deeper stuff than just flying lead. You also need some time to take all of the story in and analyse it. That's why I thought that the pace was just right.
Old 2006-07-07, 06:39   Link #78
netddos

I saw mine at AX 2006....

-Excellent artwork (gotta love the style he uses) A+
-Interesting story (very dramatic) B
-TOO SLOW PACE (really..i mean really it made me fall asleep) F

Overall: C-

That's my personal impression. Don't flame me please .
netddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 01:12   Link #79
Asclei

Talk about digging up old threads. I totally agree with you guys about the slow pace, after i finally watched it tonight (it had been on my to watch list for a year lol). I guess the director tried to go with that deep dramatic characterization with the characters like in Voices of a Distant Star, but truthfully I wasn't very hooked onto them. The visuals were absolutely stunning, however.
Asclei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-10, 16:15   Link #80
vuori
The red fish is wisdom

I was re-watching this recently, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the book is that Sawatari is reciting from at the beginning of the movie (in the classroom)? Is it the same book that Hiroki is reading on the train near the end (Kenji Miyazawa's Spring and Asura)?

As an aside, a new Makoto Shinkai film is apparently currently due in "early spring" 2007. There's a short trailer on the official page, http://5cm.yahoo.co.jp/.
vuori is offline   Reply With Quote