AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-18, 10:57   Link #1181
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

^^ Man, that was quite annoying. It's like the series is getting localized in Chinese. ^^
Old 2012-09-18, 11:12   Link #1182
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
^^ Man, that was quite annoying. It's like the series is getting localized in Chinese. ^^
Generally speaking, there's less localization needed from Japanese to Chinese than Japanese to any other language. The sentence structure and idioms are similar enough. The differences lie in the diction and honorifics. The honorifics can easily be handled. The part people have to be careful when translating from Japanese to Chinese is the diction. While some Japanese characters are written in the exact same manner, they're used differently.

For example, 有料,无料 means service charge and free respectively in Japanese. In Chinese, it means if you have the materials (for making food or whatever) or not. In Chinese, you're more likely to see 收费, 免费. Same characters, didn't ways of usage.
Old 2012-09-18, 11:44   Link #1183
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Is that so?

Then, how do you do when watch anime? I can't imagine their names with different pronunciation

I was learning some words in Chinese, and some of them have the same meaning as the Japanese counterpart, but I did quit after a while since it's much more easier to read Japanese to me.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:24   Link #1184
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I don't want to offend anyone here but I find Chinese names to not have the same impact as Japanese names when written in Latin alphabet. I find it kind of weird.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:41   Link #1185
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
Is that so?

Then, how do you do when watch anime? I can't imagine their names with different pronunciation

I was learning some words in Chinese, and some of them have the same meaning as the Japanese counterpart, but I did quit after a while since it's much more easier to read Japanese to me.
Actually, more than half of the Chinese characters have the same meaning as their Japanese counterpart. For Chinese readers trying to read Japanese, it's about isolating which characters are the exception.

And I'm not 100% sure about Japanese, but from what someone told me, Japanese in its written form is essentially a hybrid of a character and syllabic language. For the average Joe, I prefer to think of Chinese as a pure character language and English as a pure syllabic language. In Chinese, the character represents a certain meaning and has no direct relation to how it's pronounced in real life. How a character is pronounced is represented in its zhuyin or pinyin (the Chinese "alphabet" so to speak) forms. Whereas in English how we speak is directly related to how we write, which would be similar to writing Chinese in its zhuyin or pinyin form.

Japanese from what I know mixes the two with kanji as its character base and then the katakana and hiragana as its syllabic base. So when one is writing or reading Japanese, one is constantly switching from a character to syllabic form and vice versa.

For Japanese to Chinese translators, the key would to know A) the differences in the usage of the kanji. Most of it is the same, but there are exceptions. B) understand the syllabic base of Japanese and what idea is represented by it. More often than not, it's the second part that frustrates native Chinese speakers. Kanji, which is considered the difficult part of learning Japanese in Japan, is considered the easier part.

Yeah, when I watch anime, I just go by the subtitles. I may recognize certain phrases (e.g. arigato goizamsu, sayonora, konbawa, etc) but I have trouble linking them together. Those don't in any way sound close to their Chinese counterparts.

As a few more examples, Takeda Shingen is Wu Tian Xing Xuan, Oba Nobunaga is Zhi Tian Xing Chang, Toyotomi Hideyoshi is Feng Cheng Xiu Ji, Tokugawa Ieyasu is De Chuan Jia Kang. That's how we read the various Japanese figures in Chinese.

Quote:
I don't want to offend anyone here but I find Chinese names to not have the same impact as Japanese names when written in Latin alphabet. I find it kind of weird.
I think my second paragraph should explain why. Chinese names don't care about their phonetic sound, but rather the meaning behind those characters.
Old 2012-09-18, 13:09   Link #1186
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

One thing that makes difficult to translate some parts from Japanese is indeed the fact that there are words with the same pronunciation, but different writing, so when there is a word written in hiragana or katakana (and it isn't a foreign word adapted to Japanese pronunciation) you have to think in the meaning if it isn't an obvious word, or a name.

One example could be some dialogs when one person says something, and the other understands one thing based in the usual meaning of that word, which leads to a lot of puns and comedy shows

Sometimes, the meaning of one kanji can be so much helpful when there are new words (as in this series) so we only need to separate the word or just go by the meaning of each one and form the English word, which is difficult in a sense.

In Spanish things are just great, pronunciation is quit rich, so there are no problem with adapting names, it is somehow contextual, and the several grammatical rules makes easy to portray the nuance and the word play.
That's why I switched from Jap-Eng to Jap-Spa.

Which makes easier to read and tl is the most of books you read. For LN, manga, and others you will have to learn more vocabulary and some slangs that you won't see in a Japanesse class btw.
Old 2012-09-19, 01:27   Link #1187
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Are different the characters' names in Chinese?

Even in Japanese I forgot who is who. At least I recall the important ones, but sometimes I had to re-read to remember a specific character. It happened to me with Oda Nobuna. (i.e., Mutsuhide, Katsuie, Nagahide, etc.).
I guess it's a matter of time.

Also, manga and illustrations help so much with this
For me, it's mostly a text matter - for example, it took me a while to match '深雪' with Miyuki, as I had not bothered to find out what it might have be spelled in a different language
Old 2012-09-20, 13:38   Link #1188
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

I can't!

At least that helps me when watching anime.

---
Regarding the dorama DVD, you already can make a reservation here: dengekiya

And here's the announcement in vol.7:

3,500円 if you are interested.

Btw, I will make the first picture my new avatar
Old 2012-09-20, 19:06   Link #1189
blackwhite67
Banned

God I hope someone subs the drama cd
Old 2012-09-20, 19:14   Link #1190
Seitsuki
Onee!

Hayami Saori huh?

This should be interesting. Show me a voice worthy of Her Highness!
Old 2012-09-21, 05:35   Link #1191
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
just read chapter 10, when they enter the vehicle to go to battlefield, I play "In da Club" of 50cent.......now that's perfect!
hope it's appear in the anime too
Old 2012-09-21, 06:51   Link #1192
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Hayami Saori huh?

I already hear her Ayase from OreImo ... who also knows all too well to switch between Angel and Demon!

BTW: Any idea when you'll be able to tackle Yuutousei 4? *hint hint*
Old 2012-09-21, 07:30   Link #1193
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
Hayami Saori huh?

I thought you have a thing with 'Older sisters' or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I already hear her Ayase from OreImo ... who also knows all too well to switch between Angel and Demon!

BTW: Any idea when you'll be able to tackle Yuutousei 4? *hint hint*
His part is done, my part also, but I'm waiting for Rettousei to comes up first, then one week after that I'll release the chapter (tough I haven't sent the chapter for revision yet ).

Since this moth there is no Yuutousei, we already have caught up with the magazine.

That also gives me time to prepare the batch of files with those chapters deleted in the previous mirrors.

Last edited by Syokool; 2012-09-21 at 12:32. Reason: s
Old 2012-09-21, 09:06   Link #1194
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
His part is done, my part also, but I'm waiting for Rettousei to come up first, then one week after that I'll release the chapter (tough I haven't sent the chapter for revision yet ).
Excuses! Rrrr! *eyes the cattle prod in his hand uncertainly*

Quote:
Since this moth there is no Yuutousei, we already have caught up with the magazine.
Nope, you won't have. Yuutousei 5 comes out in less than a week.
Old 2012-09-21, 09:15   Link #1195
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Another version of the announcement (click to open) - not sure whether the left side has something new:

And, yeah, you know where to get the rest of the volume...

EDIT: okay, ImageShack fail...lemme reup that.
EDIT: fixed.
Old 2012-09-21, 09:16   Link #1196
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Nope, you won't have. Yuutousei 5 comes out in less than a week.
Shhh! I wanted it to be a 'surprise' for Seitsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Another version of the announcement (click to open) - not sure whether the left side has something new:

And, yeah, you know where to get the rest of the volume...

EDIT: okay, ImageShack fail...lemme reup that.
EDIT: fixed.
Basically the same. Also, Dengeki Bunko will have a special event (see their web page).
Old 2012-09-21, 14:05   Link #1197
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
I thought you have a thing with 'Older sisters' or so
I do! Onee sans are just wonderful.. those cool serene eyes.. that calm mature air.. there's no way imoutos could normally compare, but Miyuki transcends imouto-hood into something much greater, and.. er.. eh. All hail.

Quote:
Shhh! I wanted it to be a 'surprise' for Seitsuki
*k chack*
Old 2012-09-21, 14:59   Link #1198
blackwhite67
Banned

It happened again. Another cameo appearance in the last episode of Accel World 21:45.
Old 2012-09-21, 15:05   Link #1199
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
I do! Onee sans are just wonderful.. those cool serene eyes.. that calm mature air.. there's no way imoutos could normally compare, but Miyuki transcends imouto-hood into something much greater, and.. er.. eh. All hail.
Mmm, yeah. I'm a perv, so anything is fine with me, if it's only related to females of course.

Btw, three of my friends don't like Miyuki. I'm a bit disappointed with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
It happened again. Another cameo appearance in the last episode of Accel World 21:45.
An image plz!!!
Old 2012-09-21, 15:17   Link #1200
blackwhite67
Banned

You can find vol 7 on Jcafe. So that's Fujibayashi. Hmm. I always imagined her with short hair. Man, Tatusya's helmet looks sweet! Who's the monkey in the armor?

I don't know how to take screenshots of videos, but I know someone on this thread posted every cameo appearance. The one I'm talking about is the same as the very first cameo appearance only at dusk when the sun is setting.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings