AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-18, 04:50   Link #2461
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

No wonder Ravenclaw was my favorite house...

/serious mode

Well, this kind of theme of having the 4 classic virtues (temperance, prudence, fortitude and justice) or some variation of the theme battling each other is not new at all. It is quite the recurrent literary resource actually.... though the trope has evolved quite some from its humble origins I guess.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-09-18 at 06:37.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 09:48   Link #2462
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eternal Hijacker View Post
Kiyosumi High School = Gryffindor
Because they're both the main characters and the "good guys." Funny how that works out.

This list is really oddly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, this kind of theme of having the 4 classic virtues (temperance, prudence, fortitude and justice) or some variation of the theme battling each other is not new at all. It is quite the recurrent literary resource actually.... though the trope has evolved quite some from its humble origins I guess.
I think what it really goes back to is the "four humours" of Ancient Greece circa 5th BC, and the importance of keeping them in balance within the body. If you want to read something interesting for awhile, it's explained here: http://www.passionsandtempers.com/v1...l=en&p=humours

(And this is one of the reasons I always tell people, "Even though Avatar: the Last Airbender seems superficially based on Eastern culture, it's true core is Western culture through and through.)
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 13:09   Link #2463
The Eternal Hijacker

Quote:
Wow, I never thought much about the 4 classic virtues in relation to Harry Potter or even Saki. It's time for me to take a thorough look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Because they're both the main characters and the "good guys." Funny how that works out.

This list is really oddly accurate.
To be honest, I thought someone else would have come up with that a long time ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I think what it really goes back to is the "four humours" of Ancient Greece circa 5th BC, and the importance of keeping them in balance within the body. If you want to read something interesting for awhile, it's explained here: http://www.passionsandtempers.com/v1...l=en&p=humours

(And this is one of the reasons I always tell people, "Even though Avatar: the Last Airbender seems superficially based on Eastern culture, it's true core is Western culture through and through.)
I'm going to take a look at that interesting article you have just provided a link to.
The Eternal Hijacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 20:29   Link #2464
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
how kiyosumi are the "good"/"just" team? by telling a girl who always plays altruisticly so everyone else enjoy the game to rape all the oponents till they brake down crying? :P
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 23:22   Link #2465
orangejuicetang

simply because they are the protagonists, and thus, the "good guys"/ "the team you should be rooting for".

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 23:29   Link #2466
Proto

Being the protagonist is not a one way ticket to sainthood anymore these days.
Old 2009-09-19, 00:04   Link #2467
orangejuicetang

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing as I wrote that, and even thought about linking to that exact page. But in the end, I decided that there wasn't enough to hint a villan protaganist, and decided not to link it. Glad someone did post one though. Although I feel bad for the poor shmucks who are now going to end up wasting hours on the tvtropes website as new tabs open up like cell multiplication. This includes me. Can't... resist...tropes...

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-09-19, 00:56   Link #2468
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

Still trapped. But yeah, while seen from Kiyosumi's perspective, it was a heroic victory that paid off their hard work. But from another character's perspective, Momo, for example, Saki basically stole the victory from them. (Even though technically Koromo would of won instead)

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 12:02   Link #2469
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

next thing we know after the national, saki and nodoka would promise to marry each other
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 01:28   Link #2470
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Also, I just realized. Momo could be the most successful burglar/bank robber ever. "How the hell did you just let some random high school girl walk into the vault and take a bunch of money!" "I don't know sir, I never saw here." "It's on the damn security camera. She didn't even try to sneak, she just walked right in!"

"Our sources indicate that the bank robber Momo is hiding in this house. SWAT, ready, go!" "Sir, there's no one here!" "impossible, there's our spy satellite clearly show that she's in this house." "Look for yourself, there's no one here? Unless she can turn herself invisible dumbass? Jeez, it's chilly in here, anyone feel a draft?"
+Yumi as Momo's Mission Control who analyzes d plans the route Momo needs to take and provides backup if necessary.
Old 2009-09-20, 02:10   Link #2471
orangejuicetang

Metal Gear Tsumo
Featuring Solid Momo and Yumicon
Play as Solid Momo as she infiltrates the national mahjong preliminaries in order to stop Big Saki's newly created Rinshan Kaihou generator. Fight your way past Revolver Hisa, Liquid Koromo, Sniper Mihoko, Pschyo Nodoka. Preorder now!

Old 2009-09-20, 07:23   Link #2472
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Metal Gear Tsumo
Featuring Solid Momo and Yumicon
Play as Solid Momo as she infiltrates the national mahjong preliminaries in order to stop Big Saki's newly created Rinshan Kaihou generator. Fight your way past Revolver Hisa, Liquid Koromo, Sniper Mihoko, Pschyo Nodoka. Preorder now!
Oh god, the psycho Nodoka battle would be so hot.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 11:58   Link #2473
Sassarai
Army of One

Do you think love can even bloom on a mahjong table?
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 12:07   Link #2474
M.Marangio

Episode 24 will air in a few minutes.

2chan thread with screenshots -deleted-

Last edited by M.Marangio; 2009-09-21 at 10:00. Reason: removed 2chan link
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 13:18   Link #2475
Proto

Huh? Somehow I had thought this was the last episode, and I was going to say that they had managed to come with a good closure after such a lackluster filler arc. But to think to it continues after this... I cannot help to think that they will ruin it.
Old 2009-09-20, 13:37   Link #2476
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

I see "bad" animation all over the place during 2nd half.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 13:40   Link #2477
Proto

Well, you just have to learn to live with it since it seems the production team have almost run out of budget, what with the incredible quantity of reused animations in the last arcs.
Old 2009-09-20, 13:54   Link #2478
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Well, you just have to learn to live with it since it seems the production team have almost run out of budget, what with the incredible quantity of reused animations in the last arcs.
They're just saving it up for the final ep, don't worry
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 14:00   Link #2479
Proto

That is certainly reassuring, I have to accept. I guess I can now go and watch the next episodes without having to lower my expectations.
Old 2009-09-20, 17:27   Link #2480
orangejuicetang

Is the next episode the last one? I thought that this one was. Loled at the Momo suddenly appearing at the pool, but was kind of expecting that. Kyoutaro had a weird expression during the festival though. It felt... odd of place. And for some reason reminded me of Kittan from TTGL.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen