AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-03-19, 02:32   Link #1
DDshoeshowz

Send a message via AIM to DDshoeshowz
Watching a series all at once as opposed to...

...watching it very slowly over a period of time. You see, Panty and Stocking are one of my favorite series ever but I have only watched 6 of the episodes and it has been...what, 3 months now? I take quite a long while to enjoy my anime but I've noticed that not many people watch it in such a way.

So, I suppose I'm wondering, do you like to take your time and enjoy whatever series you happen to be watching? Or do you like to "marathon" it and watch it all at once, trying to soak up as much as you can in a short period?
Old 2011-03-19, 03:39   Link #2
Mr.Garfield

It depends on my mood at the times, really
But I'd like to watch it in one go (actually it's like watch it whenever i have a chance 'til i finish) rather than over a period of time.
If i stall a series for more than a few weeks, i find it very hard to pick it up again. And if i do pick it up, then there're times when i was like "what the hell is this show about again?" or "who the hell is this guy?"... it kind of ruin the enjoyment.

or maybe i just have bad memory lol
Mr.Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 04:25   Link #3
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDshoeshowz View Post
...watching it very slowly over a period of time. You see, Panty and Stocking are one of my favorite series ever but I have only watched 6 of the episodes and it has been...what, 3 months now? I take quite a long while to enjoy my anime but I've noticed that not many people watch it in such a way.
I loved Akage no Anne (really old that one, Ghibli's Takahata directed it before there was Ghibli). But I couldn't take it more than a few episodes at a time at most.

Exactly the same thing happened when I went through Cardcaptor Sakura, Sugar Sugar Rune, and Heartcatch PreCure. Sometimes I stop for months, until I find a will to continue. I thoroughly enjoyed them while I watched, but for some reason I need time to "recuperate."

On the other hand, I marathon'd Gankutsuou and Princess Tutu in one go. Screw the world I just wanted to know want happened next.

It isn't completely fixed, but I do seem to prefer watching the more childish and/or comedic shows in small doses, while twisty gripping series kept me locked on the monitor.

And for the record I also went through P&S similarly to yours. It's glorious, but you gotta take it like you're watching a Saturday Morning cartoon (Powerpuff Girls! Yeeeaahh). Overdoses are lethal.

However, to be helpful (sometimes you need an external stimulus to get restarted), I'd say: drop whatever you're doing. Stop reading my post. Go watch it nao~!
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 04:53   Link #4
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

It depends on how good the series is I watched 9 out of 13 episodes of Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas in one night cause it was so addicting, but I got tired and had to get off the comp if I was wide awake I would have watched it all in one go.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 04:55   Link #5
gsilver

I never watch anything for more than a few episodes at a time. Watching any more just eats up a lot of time, and I don't enjoy it as much.

If I really get into a show, I'll watch 1-2 episodes a day.
Old 2011-03-19, 09:48   Link #6
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Depends on the show, episodic and/or series without cliffhangers, I find more enjoyable to watch as they air. On the other hand, show with a dominant (and interesting) main plot, I usually stop watching until they are over, and than go through them in one or two sessions.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 11:45   Link #7
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I personally enjoy anime so much more when I marathon it. I call it an "anime high" and usually can't stop once I start.
Old 2011-03-19, 13:32   Link #8
DDshoeshowz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I loved Akage no Anne (really old that one, Ghibli's Takahata directed it before there was Ghibli). But I couldn't take it more than a few episodes at a time at most.

Exactly the same thing happened when I went through Cardcaptor Sakura, Sugar Sugar Rune, and Heartcatch PreCure. Sometimes I stop for months, until I find a will to continue. I thoroughly enjoyed them while I watched, but for some reason I need time to "recuperate."

On the other hand, I marathon'd Gankutsuou and Princess Tutu in one go. Screw the world I just wanted to know want happened next.

It isn't completely fixed, but I do seem to prefer watching the more childish and/or comedic shows in small doses, while twisty gripping series kept me locked on the monitor.

And for the record I also went through P&S similarly to yours. It's glorious, but you gotta take it like you're watching a Saturday Morning cartoon (Powerpuff Girls! Yeeeaahh). Overdoses are lethal.

However, to be helpful (sometimes you need an external stimulus to get restarted), I'd say: drop whatever you're doing. Stop reading my post. Go watch it nao~!

Well, its not a matter of needing help getting through it, its more a matter of having to "recuperate" as you say - and when the right time to watch it comes - I know!

Its odd, but I rarely watch movies/shows in general, so it is either a special or a social event when I do!
Old 2011-03-19, 13:54   Link #9
Eater of All
NOM

No particular preferance for either. Marathoning something is always fun, especially for series like Kaiji that employs a high tension atmosphere while moving slowly, but on the other hand series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes don't need to be marathoned to provide maximum enjoyment.

Nor would I have 44 hours to spare to marathon LOGH in the first place.
Old 2011-03-19, 18:36   Link #10
GreatTeacherKen

I usually marathon plot-driven series as it's easier for me to remember all the details and follow the story. If I spend too much time away from it, I'll probably forget a lot of stuff.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 18:57   Link #11
wigglypuff
Banned

it depends if i have the time to watch it all at once....
if not i will find the time to finish it...
wigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 21:24   Link #12
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I try not to marathon anime if I did I would get nothing done at all so I watch 4 to 5eps of an anime a day getting done with it in 3 to 6 days
Old 2011-03-19, 21:50   Link #13
Genten
has a custom user title

It depends.

If I'm watching the anime online, whether it be on a legal streaming site or otherwise, I like to take my time with the anime, especially seasonal series. Rushing through series, or marathoning them, is never something I like doing because I feel it takes away my enjoyment of the anime. Basically, if I'm constantly playing one episode after another than they eventually start to blend into each other and I have trouble remembering what happened. For long series, this is fine (although I haven't bothered with a series 26+ episodes in a long time) but for something that's much shorter I want to space out viewings so I can reflect on what I just watched.

However, if I'm viewing anime on a DVD or with friends then I like to marathon series. Mostly because DVDs come with packaged episodes, generally 3-7. So, since the episodes are all grouped together, I feel I have to watch them all in one sitting. Sometimes I don't, of course, but I remember when I rented the two disc sets of Ghost Hunt and marathoned all 13 episodes one night. A friend and I often get together for 'anime sampler' weekends as well, where we rent/watch the first two or three episodes of a bunch of different anime over three days. I suppose it's better to marathon a series with friends, where you feel obligated to finish it, where as watching it alone allows you to space out the viewings.

But I'm pretty lazy too, so I'm sure my long time to finish off series is due to that. I actually haven't finished the last two episodes of Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt; I need to do that.
Old 2011-03-20, 11:33   Link #14
DDshoeshowz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
It depends.

If I'm watching the anime online, whether it be on a legal streaming site or otherwise, I like to take my time with the anime, especially seasonal series. Rushing through series, or marathoning them, is never something I like doing because I feel it takes away my enjoyment of the anime. Basically, if I'm constantly playing one episode after another than they eventually start to blend into each other and I have trouble remembering what happened. For long series, this is fine (although I haven't bothered with a series 26+ episodes in a long time) but for something that's much shorter I want to space out viewings so I can reflect on what I just watched.

However, if I'm viewing anime on a DVD or with friends then I like to marathon series. Mostly because DVDs come with packaged episodes, generally 3-7. So, since the episodes are all grouped together, I feel I have to watch them all in one sitting. Sometimes I don't, of course, but I remember when I rented the two disc sets of Ghost Hunt and marathoned all 13 episodes one night. A friend and I often get together for 'anime sampler' weekends as well, where we rent/watch the first two or three episodes of a bunch of different anime over three days. I suppose it's better to marathon a series with friends, where you feel obligated to finish it, where as watching it alone allows you to space out the viewings.

But I'm pretty lazy too, so I'm sure my long time to finish off series is due to that. I actually haven't finished the last two episodes of Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt; I need to do that.
That's exactly how I watch my anime too! I suppose my waiting time between the episodes are just longer than normal.

I also feel, too, if I marathon a series on my own, I tend to appreciate the singular episodes less than if I mull over them individually.
Old 2011-03-20, 12:47   Link #15
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Usually whenever I'm loving a show so much I decide to watch 1 to 3 episodes a day. Depending on the length of episodes I'd be finished with it in about a week and a half or so. One of the only few animes to have made me done that would be Reborn, Angel Beats, Toradora, Shakugan no Shana, Psyren(even though it's not an anime yet), and currently Clannad.

There was a time where I stopped watching Clannad for several weeks, but that would be because I got myself distracted with another series. And I have a bad habit of doing that sometimes which is why it'd take me a while to finish a completed anime/manga. When it came to Panty&Stocking, I really wanted to continue it after the first episode though I ended up forgetting it by directing my attention towards something else.

Now if I had some DVDs of a complete series then I'd probably try to watch it in a whole day, since it feels batter to watch anime on your television screen imo.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 13:48   Link #16
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
The only case, where I watched the complete package in one go, was Kannagi. For which there was no particular reason, I just felt like it. Excluding that, I always take my time. One of the best moments I had with anime was slowly pacing through Ranma 1/2's 176 episodes. That one took quite a while...Now it's Gintama's turn.

Why rush things? It's better to watch it little by little, so you can get excited at the fact that there's your favorite show waiting for you when you get home. You don't get to enjoy that if you finish it in one sitting.
Old 2011-03-20, 15:42   Link #17
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I don't mind watching weekly. I have other things I can be doing in-between the times the episodes air, and not everything I watch I'm incredibly anxious to see the next episode for.

I've marathoned anime often though. Mostly short ones of about 12 or 13 episodes. It's not easy marathon-ing a longer or very long series. I'm pretty sure One Piece is the only series that's the exception for me when it came to that.

For example, right now I'm in the midst of watching through all of Nanoha, however even though I started about 2 months ago I'm only 5 episodes into A's when I could have finished it by now. I fully intend to finish it but I have no idea when that'll happen. =/

And while it isn't anime, I'm in the midst of reading the Soul Eater and Fairy Tail mangas as well, however I just stalled at some point and haven't really started again for a while.

I think it's mostly because of other things butting in and occupying my attention. =p

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-03-20 at 16:04.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 16:29   Link #18
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

I used to like marthoning shows when I was younger, but now I don't have the time nor the patience to sit through pretty much anything these days for more than an hour or so. At most, I might watch 2 episodes back to back.

I don't really mind either, since I'm also following less shows than I used to, so it's easier to remember what's going on each week.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 19:10   Link #19
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Mm I should also mention that I'm usually multi-tasking while watching anything. I'm a cosplayer so I sew a lot. But I absolutely cannot sew in total silence. So I put anime on.
Old 2011-03-20, 20:26   Link #20
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Have the habit of watching one or two each day if I like a certain anime, hard to resist not watching the next! If it's a precure series, I may watch even more. I finish 40+ episode precure series in a week or two. The buying of merchandise soon follow.

The most episodes I've watched in a day is probably for Fate stay night, during New Year's Eve. Couldn't sleep, and I marathoned almost 10 episode.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-03-20 at 20:40.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote