AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2008-11-25, 13:00   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

To Aru...Index/Railgun - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of To Aru Majutsu no Index. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
As of Aug 2010 I will be on hiatus so will not be active as I used to be (this could be considered good news or bad news depending on your viewpoint). Please contact another Mod if you require any help or assistance.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 17:03   Link #2
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Rina Satou's performance as Mikoto was beautiful in ep 12.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 05:13   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Rina Satou's performance as Mikoto was beautiful in ep 12.
Spoiler for Just 2 be safe:

Rina did a good job voicing Mikoto. I hope to see her funny side if they ever decide to animate the Railgun stories.
Old 2009-02-15, 20:40   Link #4
Midonin
Last Engage

She's still a relative newbie to the voice acting scene, but I thought Rina Hidaka did a nice job as Last Order in all her "Misaka wa Misaka wa"-ness. The last role I heard her in was Kaede in Penguin Musume, so it's a pleasant surprise to see her again here.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 01:50   Link #5
Avisch
Reality Blender

I'll partially agree with the above.

But who stands out to me particularly is Nobuhiko Okamoto, Accelerator's seiyu. Admittedly Accelerator is my favorite (male) character, but I really like how his seiyu is able to capture the raw attitude of his character.....and also make a voice fitting of those insane expressions

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 02:47   Link #6
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
I'll partially agree with the above.

But who stands out to me particularly is Nobuhiko Okamoto, Accelerator's seiyu. Admittedly Accelerator is my favorite (male) character, but I really like how his seiyu is able to capture the raw attitude of his character.....and also make a voice fitting of those insane expressions
It's not a surprise, considering he's also the seiyu of Layfon of Chrome Shelled Regios!
Old 2009-02-20, 04:59   Link #7
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
It's not a surprise, considering he's also the seiyu of Layfon of Chrome Shelled Regios!
I only started watching Regios recently, so I was wondering why Layfon sounded familiar.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 12:19   Link #8
Midonin
Last Engage

He's also Yoichi in Asu no Yoichi!, and Goro/Gigolo in Akikan!. Lots of major roles for him this season.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 04:18   Link #9
faiz blaster

What really bugs me are Atsushi Abe as Touma and Kisho Taniyama as Stiyl-Magnus. In the case of the latter I am so used to hearing Taniyama make the raw type of voices like the one he did for Kitan from Gurren Lagann that I still don't believe that it is really him. Meanwhile, Atsushi change of styles caught me off guard more than once. It is hard to connect that insane voice that he made during episode 9 and the defiant tone during the final round against Accelerator with that laid-back tone so characteristic of Touma.
faiz blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 11:29   Link #10
Miraluka
Banned

First of all...

Thank you J.C.Staff for not using Rie Kumigiya annoying shrilly tone to voice Mikoto, because it doesn't fit her. Good Job!

Nobuhiko Okamoto, he is not a weak seiyuu anymore!!!
Atsushi Abe, hahaha this guy has a impressive tone like the one he used in the ep.9. With Amu and Su in Railgun, we have 3 seiyuus of Shugo Chara! staff .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 07:09   Link #11
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The main cast of Railgun

EDIT: Looks like the video got removed. Sorry folks.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2009-12-16 at 11:47.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 20:06   Link #12
Smeghead

Wow Kanae Itō is tiny.
Smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 01:02   Link #13
Dark Paladin X

For the most part, I do love Komoe-sensei, Index, and Touma's Japanese voice acting, but it would be nice if Rie Kugimiya voiced Misaka.

As I person who prefers dubs over subs, I was thinking of Monica Rial voicing Index (across from Minamo from Azumanga Daioh, I still need to find more voice acting samples). But I definitely know who should voice Accelerator and Komoe sensei.

For Accelerator:

Spoiler for from Code Geass:

Apparently, this voice actor would be my second choice for Touma if James Arnold Taylor can't voice Touma. My second choice for Accelerator would be Spike Spencer.

For Komoe-sensei:

Spoiler for Azumanga Daioh:

After several discussion in Anime News Network, I admit that my ideas may be legally impossible. But I do strongly feel this anime should get an English dub (although I do find the Japanese voice acting to be good, but not as great as Lucky Star).

Last edited by Dark Paladin X; 2009-12-16 at 01:14.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 12:45   Link #14
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
For the most part, I do love Komoe-sensei, Index, and Touma's Japanese voice acting, but it would be nice if Rie Kugimiya voiced Misaka.
NO just NO!
I have enough of Rie Kugiyama voicing Tsundere's. I cannot stand that voice she use every time she played one. And I thankful it was Rina Satou that played Mikoto instead as her voice was definitively suitable for Mikoto's character who's a mature tough 15 year old girl, not some childish whiner.

It's thanks to Rina that it made me fan of Mikoto.

PS:I don't hate Rie, i just feel she should just voice characters that she wouldn't be normally typecasted in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X
For Accelerator:

Spoiler for from Code Geass:
So you also agree Johnny would make a perfect dub for Accelerator.
Old 2009-12-16, 13:07   Link #15
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

So you also agree Johnny would make a perfect dub for Accelerator.
Great minds think alike eh? I also agreed with you earlier about Johnny Yong Bosch as Touma, but as a second choice.

Still, what I like about English VAs is that they tend to have more flexibility than the Japanese VAs. Sorry I being typecasted with Rie.

Now what about having Jessica Boone as Komoe-sensei for the dub (one of my favorite characters, she's so adorable as a teacher, it's even in the name itself).
Old 2009-12-16, 13:52   Link #16
hinakatbklyn

I already have an idea of who the prospect dubs are for Railgun, but Index could be more troublesome to figure out.

Index (a) Kira Vincent Davis/Brinna Palencia (b) Karen Strausman (AKA Kallen)
Komoe (a) Monica Rial
Touma (a) Chris Patton (b) Yuri (AKA Suzaku)
Mikoto (a) Luci Christian (b) Kate Higgins

Based on the most commonly used Company dubs still active today.
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 19:25   Link #17
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
I already have an idea of who the prospect dubs are for Railgun, but Index could be more troublesome to figure out.

Index (a) Kira Vincent Davis/Brinna Palencia (b) Karen Strausman (AKA Kallen)
Komoe (a) Monica Rial
Touma (a) Chris Patton (b) Yuri (AKA Suzaku)
Mikoto (a) Luci Christian (b) Kate Higgins

Based on the most commonly used Company dubs still active today.
Nice ideas here, I even had some of the similar people here. Except I had Komoe-sensei being voiced by Jessica Boone, Index by Monica Rial, Touma by James Arnold Taylor, Kaori by Kira Vincent Davis, and Pierce Aogami (some minor character with blue hair) by Yuri Lowenthal. Comparing to my ideas, it appears your fantasy dub cast for To Aru Majutsu no Index fits within the legal limits. My ideas tend to be legally impossible, mostly because I thought up of voice actors from California and Texas at the same time while there are some of the voice actors who are union and non-union.

But you still haven't thought about who should voice Accelerator for the English dub. Do you think Johnny Yong Bosch is appropriate for this character?
Old 2009-12-16, 20:02   Link #18
hinakatbklyn

Couldn't get beyond the first 5 Index episodes. But I did get a good idea of how the original sounded like. I would go with Bosch for accelerator (If california). This may be a long shot since he is likely new to the voice acting scene but after hearing the first episode teaser dub of a new series (Soul Eater) at a recent convention, I came across the texas equivalent of Bosch (sounds almost exactly like him). Micah Solusod. (Soul Eater for example)

If Boone's company decided to make a return or she went with one of the other companies, it would be interesting, although she might not be able to hold her cute voice from years ago. She has used deep voices before, maybe she could try voicing Kaori for a change.
Old 2009-12-16, 20:25   Link #19
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Couldn't get beyond the first 5 Index episodes. But I did get a good idea of how the original sounded like. I would go with Bosch for accelerator (If california). This may be a long shot since he is likely new to the voice acting scene but after hearing the first episode teaser dub of a new series (Soul Eater) at a recent convention, I came across the texas equivalent of Bosch (sounds almost exactly like him). Micah Solusod. (Soul Eater for example)

If Boone's company decided to make a return or she went with one of the other companies, it would be interesting, although she might not be able to hold her cute voice from years ago. She has used deep voices before, maybe she could try voicing Kaori for a change.

Yea I haven't have enough time to watch the subs of this anime due to college work, but since my winter break is coming, I would have enough time. I think that if Bosch were to voice Accelerator, I was thinking of a blend between Hollow Ichigo and Nero voice.

I really lost faith with Bandai since they screwed up with Hayate the Combat Butler. If I want Funimation to dub this anime, then the voice actors from Texas would work. If Viz Media or Disney picks it up, then I will expect voice actors from California.
Old 2009-12-17, 09:58   Link #20
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
Kugimiya might have pulled a fast one on me when she voiced Yuuki (Tacos) in Saki, but from the shows I've seen when she voice acts, she used the same 2 voices Childish/squeaky (louise, shana, Nagi) and young soft spoken boy (Hotaru-Gakuen Alice, The lead character in Nabari no ou). If that's the case, I don't think either voice could match Mikoto.

Rina Saitou however has been able to adjust her voice for each role she plays (boyish voice for Negi springfield, snobish princess voice for Lilly-Mana Khemia 2, and of course Misaka Mikoto). Misaka almost sounded realistic with Rina's voice.

I probably would need to check up on more shows she voiced in to see if her voice changed in any of them before I would decide if Kugimiya would have been an alternate Mikoto.