AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-07, 10:14   Link #121
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Congratulations to Roger Federer for finally winning the Career Grand Slam and matching Sampras's 14 Grand Slam Record! You deserve fully the title "The Greatest!

Most fitting it is that it is Andre Agassi, the last man to win the Career Grand Slam in Roland Garros 10 years ago, to hand the trophy to Federer.

It's a pity Nadal was out so early, but this is taking nothing away from Soderling and Federer, who played a great game, and took the opportunity when it presented itself.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-06-07 at 10:30.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 11:01   Link #122
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Yes congratulations to Roger. However, I feel that it would have been so much sweeter to come out on top in an epic match against Rafael Nadal. But I guess this will do .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 11:31   Link #123
Anisha93

Roger federer is the 6th man in history to complete grand slam! But i have to agree that this tournament was a great loss on nadal's part, i expected him to do better than this. But dorling gave a good competition( he lost the duce).
Old 2009-06-07, 13:14   Link #124
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Everybody might as well not show up to Wimbeldon.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 14:42   Link #125
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Well, I don't post much but this time I have to.

Congratulations Roger

Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 17:05   Link #126
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Haven't watched the match, but congratz to him

He finally won at RG, and he deserved it.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 03:01   Link #127
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Two more things he needs to do: Get to number no.1 and stay there for another 49 weeks, and 1 more GS title. If he pulls these 2 off, Sampras's records would be changed, by one man.

All hail King Federer!
Old 2009-06-08, 09:34   Link #128
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Two more things he needs to do: Get to number no.1 and stay there for another 49 weeks, and 1 more GS title. If he pulls these 2 off, Sampras's records would be changed, by one man.

All hail King Federer!
He also needs to improve his H2H against Nadal. Can't be the GOAT if you are the 2nd best in your own generation. A 7-13 record doesn't cut it.
Old 2009-06-08, 10:18   Link #129
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
Nadal is at his prime and Federer is way past it, the only reason Nadal has more wins that Federer is because when Federer was at his best they only played on clay given that Nadal was terrible on any other surface, and now that Nadal has improved on hard courts, Federer isn't playing close to how he did a couple of years ago. "Same generation" is relative because the five year difference between them is a life time for a tennis player.

Federer's consistence makes him the greatest in my opinion, 19 GS finals and 20 semifinals in a row is just incredible.
So that is why Nadal beat Federer in their first ever meeting in 2004 on the Miami hard courts? Is that why Nadal dismantled Federer in straight sets in 2006 in Dubai? Federer is not in his prime anymore, but Nadal beat Federer before his prime...

Federer barely leads the h2h on non clay surfaces total by like 1 or 2 wins.... If he really was so much better than him, he would not have lost to him on these other surfaces.
Old 2009-06-08, 10:41   Link #130
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So that is why Nadal beat Federer in their first ever meeting in 2004 on the Miami hard courts? Is that why Nadal dismantled Federer in straight sets in 2006 in Dubai? Federer is not in his prime anymore, but Nadal beat Federer before his prime...

Federer barely leads the h2h on non clay surfaces total by like 1 or 2 wins.... If he really was so much better than him, he would not have lost to him on these other surfaces.

Nadal is considered the best player on clay ever, yet he was beaten by Federer on this surface and wasn't even able to reach Roland Garros quarter finals this year. If he is so great on this surface he shouldn't have been defeated so easely.

Every defeat Federer has on RG by Nadal was on semifinals (1) or on the finals (3), and that's because even if that surface doesn't favor him, he's was still good enough reach those instances. The same isn't true with Nadal and hard courts, only in the last year US open was he able to reach semifinals.
Old 2009-06-08, 12:18   Link #131
Kakashi
カカシ

Quote:
He also needs to improve his H2H against Nadal. Can't be the GOAT if you are the 2nd best in your own generation. A 7-13 record doesn't cut it.
Except Nadal was number 2 for about 3 years. Guess who was number 1 all that time? We'll see how long Nadal stays on top, but many are already tipping Federer to regain his number 1 ranking. Especially if Nadal can't play Wimbledon.

Quote:
Federer was ill and barely got through his first round match in Miami, which is why when asked Nadal said he beat Federer only once on hard court last year, and that was in Dubai. In Dubai Nadal won 2-6 6-4 6-4, that's hardly a dismantling and nor was it in straight sets. I saw the match and it was very close.

Quote:
Many of Nadal wins could have gone the other way. 2006 Rome final on clay, Federer had two mach points. Wimbledon 08, Fed one point from a decisive break in the 5th and won more points overall. AO 09, again close but lost. Monte Carlo and Hamburg 08 he had the upper hand in both and lost. Not to take these wins from Nadal, they were deserved, it does show close their matches have always been.

I would say Federer has a healthy number of wins over Nadal considering:

1) The pressure - not only is Nadal shit scary to play against but he's also had to deal with the weight of history.
2) Most of their matches have been on clay.
Old 2009-06-08, 14:39   Link #132
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Many of Nadal wins could have gone the other way. 2006 Rome final on clay, Federer had two mach points. Wimbledon 08, Fed one point from a decisive break in the 5th and won more points overall. AO 09, again close but lost. Monte Carlo and Hamburg 08 he had the upper hand in both and lost. Not to take these wins from Nadal, they were deserved, it does show close their matches have always been.

I would say Federer has a healthy number of wins over Nadal considering:

1) The pressure - not only is Nadal shit scary to play against but he's also had to deal with the weight of history.
2) Most of their matches have been on clay.
Clay or not, a win is a win. Look, I'm not saying Federe hasn't had his chances or can't beat Nadal... I'm just saying that Federer needs to win some of these closer matches to be considered better.

He's not so much out of his prime like Carlos Moya or anything... He's #2 in the world and has made it the last 20 grand slam semis...
Old 2009-07-03, 13:47   Link #133
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The final is set, Roger Federer vs. Andy Roddick.

As much of a fan of Federer that I am, I have the urge to root for Roddick who has tried so hard all these years to get that next slam, but to his misfortune, has been stopped in his tracks by TMF.
Old 2009-07-05, 12:51   Link #134
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Well, and that's fifteen. Congratulations Roger.

I have to say, even as a fan of Federer, I feel sad for Roddick, he's an amazing player and played an incredible match.
Old 2009-07-05, 13:31   Link #135
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
Well, and that's fifteen. Congratulations Roger.

I have to say, even as a fan of Federer, I feel sad for Roddick, he's an amazing player and played an incredible match.
I agree, it hurt to see him there just looking down... He's tried so hard, and he does not deserve to be a one slam wonder.
Old 2009-07-05, 13:47   Link #136
Enso
Gentleman Troller
*Graphic Designer

And that's Wimbledon! Great job Federer... awesome match

Yup it is a shame Rafa didn't make it that far. But he was not in the best shape anyway... I look forward to seeing him play even better once he's healed!
Enso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 14:37   Link #137
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

at the start i was rooting for Andy but, after the second set i started to think if RF does win this one than he will create history. felt so sad for Andy, he played soooo well, probly the best of his carrer. he really does look like a great player now.
Old 2009-07-05, 14:39   Link #138
KimmyChan

It was an absolute shame that Andy Murray never made it through to the Wimbledon men's final today as I was totally hoping he would, but I'm still happy that Roger Federer won it all the same as I bear no real grudge...May the best man win 'n all that
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 15:04   Link #139
Kakashi
カカシ

Congrats to Roger on his 15th!

Old 2009-07-06, 15:52   Link #140
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Atpworldtour.com to is doing a tribute to Federer since yesterday and they put a video today that's quite beautiful, it's worth a look.

Tags
tennis