AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-07, 23:41   Link #1
me=D
mister smillie

anything faster?

alrite rite now im useing charter 3mb for 50$ a month. The upload for this connection is really just crap only 30 kb per sec. I no there are better connections out there with about the same price. Can anyone recommend something i live in the LA area .

Last edited by me=D; 2004-12-08 at 00:04.
me=D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:00   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Most cable is capped at 3Mbps speeds. You might want to inquire about Charter's 10Mbps line but I think it's reserved for commercial use. Some Adsl lines can support 9Mbps but again, it's reserved for commercial use.

If you have the money, Try asking for a T3 to OC-3 line. It'll run you about $5-20K a month though.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:07   Link #3
me=D
mister smillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Most cable is capped at 3Mbps speeds. You might want to inquire about Charter's 10Mbps line but I think it's reserved for commercial use. Some Adsl lines can support 9Mbps but again, it's reserved for commercial use.

If you have the money, Try asking for a T3 to OC-3 line. It'll run you about $5-20K a month though.
yea i no most is caped at 3mb but some have very good uploads my cousin(in ohio) uses cox has a 80 kb per sec upload. pays about 50 bucks for his connection.
too bad i cant get it here =(. im just wondering if there are some companies here that offer a better connection
me=D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:54   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by me=D
alrite rite now im useing charter 3mb for 50$ a month. The upload for this connection is really just crap only 30 kb per sec. I no there are better connections out there with about the same price. Can anyone recommend something i live in the LA area .
Those speeds sound extremely slow for $50 a month. Are you sure these are the max speeds you can get, and it's not just a problem of unlucky downloads. I sometimes get speeds of only 30 or 40k on an unlucky torrent, but my usual speeds are a lot higher 150-200k on bt. Try a speed test. If your isp doesn't give you one, go here, they have lots to choose from.
Also, there might be a problem with your hardware configuration. For example, are you using a router?
Edit: just realized youre talking about uploads My fault for not reading the post more carefully. Still I usually upload at 60kBs plus on bt, unless I restrict it. So it still sounds slow, but not unreasonablly so... max upload for my connection seems to be about 100k, which I thought was the norm for cable. I've had 2 different services with about the same upload, previous was 115k

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2004-12-08 at 01:11.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 00:55   Link #5
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by me=D
OMG! someone concerned with upload! the shock i feel!

uhh... well...

nothing i know is very upload-oriented.

you could try jacking in at a library and using their... whatever they have. (T1 or greater)
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 02:09   Link #6
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
OMG! someone concerned with upload! the shock i feel!

uhh... well...

nothing i know is very upload-oriented.

you could try jacking in at a library and using their... whatever they have. (T1 or greater)
Having a high upload speed might help you from getting banned from some trackers that track IP.
Personally I'm pretty good about it: I usually can upload up to ~120kB/s through BitTorrent which is a pretty good upload IMO
Also, if you want to torrent something you'd need a good upload if you want to seed well
Old 2004-12-08, 15:54   Link #7
krispydigital

Send a message via AIM to krispydigital Send a message via MSN to krispydigital
hummm.... i live in oc and i pay 55 a month to get 350 down and 32 up.... i switched FROM sbc cuz sbc gave me like 30 down and 5 up -__-
krispydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 16:02   Link #8
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Wow, you guys are deprived. My family pays 25$ a month for lite-speed.
25kb/s DL and 40kb/s UL.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 18:06   Link #9
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Wow, you guys are deprived. My family pays 25$ a month for lite-speed.
25kb/s DL and 40kb/s UL.
do you use Shaw's light speed package? (Assuming what im assuming) Man, that thing is slow, its like dual ISDN. BTW, why is your upload faster than your download?

Last edited by Shadowlord; 2004-12-08 at 18:17.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 23:40   Link #10
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Depending on the area, it can vary greatly.

For example, my two costs.
Home: Cable 3Mbps/256 - $80/month (Comcast)
Remote Office Work (1 mi away): Cable 3Mbps/256 - $45/month (Comcast)
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 02:05   Link #11
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Depending on the area, it can vary greatly.

For example, my two costs.
Home: Cable 3Mbps/256 - $80/month (Comcast)
Remote Office Work (1 mi away): Cable 3Mbps/256 - $45/month (Comcast)

Ouch, that is pretty expensive, does your home price include cable tv as well? If not, thats very expensive.

I pay $50/month (Shaw) cable with 5000/1000.

If you are looking for a cable porvider for internet access, I would suggest looking at the average speeds people in your area recieve. A Congested node will lower your speeds dramatically. In heavily populated areas, often DSL is faster than cable.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 01:07   Link #12
xargon

edit edit edit edit edit

Last edited by xargon; 2011-09-25 at 20:51.
xargon is offline   Reply With Quote