AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-21, 17:42   Link #3141
ViBaYo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The point of Kai was to do a retelling of the manga, and keeping the original score would keep reminded people of the original adaptation, which wasn't the point.
I didn't see any retelling. I watched the same thing I watched the first time but without the fillers. A retelling would be the two versions of Fullmetal Alchemist, where the second one was different from the first and more true to the manga, but in the first dragonball z all that was in the manga was in the anime. In this new version they only deleted the fillers, and not all of them: they didn't deleted the fillers that would need to made new animation to avoid it
ViBaYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 18:44   Link #3142
Vicious108

I marked out to the original DBZ music in this episode. Kai's soundtrack has its moments, but overall Kikuchi's score is still king when it comes to DBZ musically. However, the new Kai soundtrack did make the experience feel fresher, so in a way I think I still might've prefered if it had stuck with it until the end. Oh well, just two more episodes now.

And though the DBZ soundtrack is still the best as far as I'm concerned, the placement was a little messy in this episode... it was mostly good, but there were just too many goddamn tracks one after another, I don't think silence ever lasted more than 10 seconds or so. The track when Cell was being vaporized was also a poor choice, other than that though, great pieces all around.

As for the content itself, gotta love the quality of the art in the second half of the episode. I don't care much for Cell as a villain and even less for Gohan as a hero, but it was still a DBZ-worthy grand finale to a big bad.

It's a shame Buu won't be Kai'd (at least not anytime soon) but it's kind of cool at least that the show should now end with Trunks being a freaking badass in the future.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 19:59   Link #3143
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
The point of Kai was to do a retelling of the manga, and keeping the original score would keep reminded people of the original adaptation, which wasn't the point.
Exactly this. Kikuchi's music is great but that production was already done 20 years ago and re-released in multiple formats with his music. This franchise deserved new beats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
It's a shame Buu won't be Kai'd (at least not anytime soon) but it's kind of cool at least that the show should now end with Trunks being a freaking badass in the future.
I hate to suggest it, but Fuji TV still has Toriko scheduled for April 3rd during Kai's slot. So, it's possible 98 of Kai will be DVD only (or cut entirely?).
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 20:05   Link #3144
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Exactly this. Kikuchi's music is great but that production was already done 20 years ago and re-released in multiple formats with his music. This franchise deserved new beats.

I hate to suggest it, but Fuji TV still has Toriko scheduled for April 3rd during Kai's slot. So, it's possible 98 of Kai will be DVD only (or cut entirely?).
Damn, if they cut out Trunks' return to the future I'll be pretty disappointed. That's one of the greatest moments in the series.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 22:10   Link #3145
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

I can't believe the only thing anyone has to say about the latest episode is how the music was. :\

There's so many amazing moments here...

- Gohan being like the first saiyan ever to recognize how foolish and costly his own arrogance was, and to actually be conciliatory of it. You know, as opposed to Goku's "things turned out fine, so all's well that ends well" mentality and Vegeta's "I'll never learn to stop being a smug asshat!" attitude. Seriously, that's some serious progress for the Saiyan race.

- Piccolo's last stand...going out to die with Gohan even when no one else would. That moment just hammered home how far along he'd come since DB.

- Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien's final moments of nostalgia and making peace as they're about to die.

- Vegeta's final FU.

- Gohan overcoming his self-doubt that he's still "just a crybaby", and showing perhaps the best character development DBZ had to offer.

- His slow walk as the kamehameha begins to disintegrate Cell (I still remember what a F*CK YEAH moment that was back when I first saw it). Then, when it was all said and done, falling out of the sky like a feather as if the weight of the world was finally off his shoulders.

I'd check out the DB Kai Buu if it ever came out, but imo this is the perfect end to the series.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 00:41   Link #3146
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Gohan being like the first saiyan ever to recognize how foolish and costly his own arrogance was
Well he is half of one, so it shouldn't count.
Old 2011-03-22, 00:54   Link #3147
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Well he is half of one, so it shouldn't count.
Probably required thinning the Saiyan blood that much before we could see an effect . Even Trunks was more willing to accept his naive power-up and wanted to take out Cell without him getting to his perfect state.
Old 2011-03-22, 05:29   Link #3148
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
You know, maybe I'm missing something, but since the cameras were destroyed during Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, how the heck did Chichi and Gyumao know that Gohan won?
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 05:42   Link #3149
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
You know, maybe I'm missing something, but since the cameras were destroyed during Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, how the heck did Chichi and Gyumao know that Gohan won?
It was cut out in Kai, but I believe in the original Z Baba showed up and let them watch in her crystal ball. Guess they didn't want to show that but still show how elated Chi-Chi was.

Also, I'm soooooo glad that they used Movie 9's SSJ2 BGM in this episode. That's seriously one of my favorite tracks ever.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 06:27   Link #3150
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
So wait, do you guys know for sure the show is ending after 100 episodes, and not just changing it's timeslot?
Old 2011-03-22, 10:17   Link #3151
Mukki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It was cut out in Kai, but I believe in the original Z Baba showed up and let them watch in her crystal ball. Guess they didn't want to show that but still show how elated Chi-Chi was.

Also, I'm soooooo glad that they used Movie 9's SSJ2 BGM in this episode. That's seriously one of my favorite tracks ever.
I had a feeling there was a filler scene that I was missing, since I remembered no such thing in the manga. Oh Toei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedzombie View Post
So wait, do you guys know for sure the show is ending after 100 episodes, and not just changing it's timeslot?
98, and it's already been confirmed that it's ending.
Old 2011-03-22, 11:17   Link #3152
Seihai
スマイリウム

Beautiful episode. No matter how joked up it is, Kamehameha is simply serious business.
Old 2011-03-22, 13:45   Link #3153
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
I'm surprised the cameras lasted as long as they did. Cameras sure got a lot
tougher since Vegeta first came to Earth.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 14:16   Link #3154
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom Samba
- Gohan being like the first saiyan ever to recognize how foolish and costly his own arrogance was, and to actually be conciliatory of it. You know, as opposed to Goku's "things turned out fine, so all's well that ends well" mentality and Vegeta's "I'll never learn to stop being a smug asshat!" attitude. Seriously, that's some serious progress for the Saiyan race.
It was silly that Gohan became like that in the first place if you ask me. All that time hyping up that if he released his anger then drastic consequences would happen that would take their toil on his gentle personality, but alas all it did was turn him into a generic smug idiot for the sake of forced melodrama.

And it wasn't even that great a progress for the Saiyan race tbqh, seeing as Future Trunks was never arrogant in the first place and didn't actually have anything to regret, like getting his father killed due to out-of-character stupidity.

Quote:
- Gohan overcoming his self-doubt that he's still "just a crybaby", and showing perhaps the best character development DBZ had to offer.
Nah, that would be Vegeta in the Buu arc, which we won't get to see in Kai now. FFFFFFFFFFF- And Gohan's development into ceasing to be a crybaby was much better in the Bojack movie anyways. He actually got shit done quickly there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post

Same here, easily the best track from the original as far as I'm concerned. Though I kinda wish they'd saved it for Cell's defeat or something. I mean, it fit the scene with Piccolo and the rest well enough, but it's so good that it deserves to always play in the climax or something.

The only other song from Kikuchi's score I like nearly as much would be this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5DRlqkiYI
Was kinda hoping to hear it in this episode too, but no such luck. Doubt it'll be in either of the last two episodes as well, since it doesn't really fit any of their moments. Oh well.

Last edited by Vicious108; 2011-03-22 at 15:20.
Old 2011-03-22, 14:52   Link #3155
Ahiru77
あひる

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Damn, if they cut out Trunks' return to the future I'll be pretty disappointed. That's one of the greatest moments in the series.
You said it!
Don't worry.....it will come.

Quote:
It was silly that Gohan became like that in the first place if you ask me. After all that time hyping up that if he released his anger then drastic consequences would happen that would take their toil on his gentle personality, but alas all it did was turn him into a generic smug idiot for the sake of forced melodrama.

And it wasn't even that great a progress for the Saiyan race tbqh, seeing as Future Trunks was never arrogant in the first place and didn't actually have anything to regret, like getting his father killed due to out-of-character stupidity.
Kudos to you......very few people realise this, you know.

Last edited by Ahiru77; 2011-03-22 at 15:02.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-22, 19:51   Link #3156
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
The only other song from Kikuchi's score I like nearly as much would be this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5DRlqkiYI
Was kinda hoping to hear it in this episode too, but no such luck. Doubt it'll be in either of the last two episodes as well, since it doesn't really fit any of their moments. Oh well.
That is a great one, they use it a lot for Goku vs. Freiza. As long as we're talking Kikuchi tracks, the one thing I really missed from Z was the villain-specific tracks. I'm not sure if Kai wanted to focus more on the heroes or what, but it was nice to hear Cell's theme again in 96.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 08:42   Link #3157
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I thought it was for some special reason or because of trying to bring up good memories for tsunami and all but wow.

Wow. What a TITANIC mess that is.

And even funnier, the 'original' music from the 90's + game soundtracks are almost entirely plagiarized as well? Wow. This makes my head hurt.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 09:03   Link #3158
Vicious108

Not just that, it seems that even some of Yamamoto Kenji's rare tracks for the original DBZ, such as the kickass Battle Point Unlimited, were plagiarised too.
Old 2011-03-23, 12:32   Link #3159
Mukki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I thought it was for some special reason or because of trying to bring up good memories for tsunami and all but wow.

Wow. What a TITANIC mess that is.

And even funnier, the 'original' music from the 90's + game soundtracks are almost entirely plagiarized as well? Wow. This makes my head hurt.
The original Z music (aside from the few songs Yamamoto did) was not plagiarized, but otherwise, correct.
Old 2011-03-23, 14:36   Link #3160
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I've lost a good deal of respect for Yamamoto. He's blatantly copied numerous pieces of music. DB Kai; The Butoden series; the Budokai series; Battle Point Unlimited; many of those compositions are plagiarized works based on original pieces. It's only a matter of time before more plagiarism is discovered. It's unbelievable. I can understand paying homage to a particular song, but don't outright use the whole thing and declare it as your own work. Be original and creative.