Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-23, 00:31   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Regarding the rest of what you said, honestly find your comments to be on the borderline to mindless trolling a lot of the time in episode threads, but given your comments just now, could it be you instinctively just hate shows with girls and like shows with guys?
If you're asking if I find that male characters in shows are typically better written or more interesting then female characters then yes. Typically moreso in recent years. If you are asking if I am a mysoginist or something like that then certainly not.

I also think about and consider everything before I go to write it so I can assure you my commentary is not given without mind, but perhaps it's true that it is given without regard for censorship which may come across as trolling.

Anyway I find that the whole raw emotion bit doesn't really run so well with me if I don't identify with the character(s) who exhibit it, however that's not to say that I haven't been influenced by the emotional aspects of a character's situation should I have come to care about what the end result for their emotional state will end up being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Incidentally he posts articles on the best 10 loli's of the year in his blog. Brownie points if they are the embodiment of evil.
20 and only once as opposed to annually.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 06:54   Link #22
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

My thoughts.

Not watching a great deal this time round, but I have liked most of what I've picked up. Almost every series I'm watching has at least shown hints of something much grander and/or more interesting coming round the corner. This season I'm trying to avoid shows that I'm pretty sure I won't like (eg, Ladies v Butlers, Seikon no Qwaser), so maybe the bottom end significantly drags down the overall average, but I'm reasonably optimistic that this season will be better than the last... which, honestly, shouldn't be too hard.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 08:14   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Round III, time to see who survived.

Win,
  • Sora No Woto
  • Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu?
  • Hidamari Sketch×Hoshimittsu
  • Omamori Himari
K.O.
  • Seikon no Qwaser, censor and H-heavy content; story is little if non-existent -- more or less the excuse to get characters fighting if nothing more.
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund first episode was horrible and show is not my type
  • Dhurarara!! I'll just go with its not my type of show and say no more.
  • Ladies versus Butlers! too silly average harem anime; not in the mood
  • Ookami Kakushi dropped for being slow and a tad too obvious
  • CHU-BRA!!, nice show but a tad too awkward, not in the mood
Old 2010-01-24, 08:27   Link #24
Westlo
Lets be reality

Winter impressions, I don't think I'll be adding any more shows to my watchlist, wasn't that impressed with Bund in manga form and Shinbo's first ep didn't do much for me, Nodame Finale I'll save to watch over a few days. Still 1.5 seasons behind on Hidamari Sketch, might give Ookami Kakushi a try though.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (3)
- I'm enjoying this at the moment but its the supporting characters who are the shows strongpoint atm as well as all the random stuff. Hopefully the triangle here doesn't consume too much time.. I couldn't feel more apathy to a triangle. 7/10

Chu-Bra!! (1) - It wasn't that bad... but it wasn't anywhere close to good either, I might give it one more episode, one of the characters shown in the ED looks right up my alley. Still I wouldn't be suprised if I don't watch another episode ever. 5/10

Durarara!! (3) - Best of the season, really liking the setting and characters for this, still in setup mode but it should deliver. 8/10

Hanamaru Kindergarten (2) - Delightful show, never thought this would be one of my favorites. 7.5/10

Ladies versus Butlers! (3) - Standare fare I wasn't even going to bother with but Tomomi got me interested and makes this worth watching. 7/10

Omamori Himari (3) - I've read 25 or so chapters of the manga but it was so long ago I don't mind watching this. Designs aren't anywhere near as good as the manga but I like the vocal work. It's enjoyable for what it is. 6/10

Seikon no Qwaser (1) - After watching episode 1 I've decided not to bother with this until the AT-X version airs. I didn't mind the few manga chapters of this I read a while back so I'll be giving the AT-X version a shot. But go Tomo's voice is annoying, I don't even like her character in the manga and her voice doesn't help. 5/10

Sora no Woto (2) - Nice to see A-1 produce something with some semblance of a high budget. Rather typical start but I'm intrigued to see how it plays out in the end. 7/10
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 16:14   Link #25
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I was kinda positive about this season and all I've seemed to pick up definitely is:

Durara!: Very good so far, still need to watch episode 3 but Baccano formula is a win even before this started airing.

Hanamaru Youchien: Even though Gainax has little chances to screw over this series, I always have a fascination with what they manage to pull off while tripping in god knows how many ounces of LSD, so if anything I'm waiting for them to do their usual thing. Even without that, this series seems pretty enjoyable, at least for a first episode.

Also enthusiastically awaiting Katanagatari just for the visual appeal.

Also watched:

Dance in the Vampire Bund: First episode was funny until they ruined the whole TV parody with SERIOUS BUSINESS, and the second episode revealed the true nature of the show (loli fanservice), so meh, dropped.

Sora no Oto: I don't like Kyoani's (yes I know this is not Kyoani) moe style at all so I'm blatantly turned off by this after one episode. I still might give it a chance if the season gets slower but only if I'm terribly bored.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 11:02   Link #26
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

It seems Sora No Woto is doing well as overall both AS and another anime sub-forum (that i participate) overall rated it highly (for the 1st few episodes of course)

Actually i found Sora No Woto 's more similar to Kannagi and Birdy (are these two from A1 as well?) as it gives out a huge potential, but not sure which direction it's taking to.
Old 2010-01-27, 18:21   Link #27
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Looking at the chart for this season, I wasn't very happy about it. Only one show was of any interest to me.

Okami Kakushi (3 episodes, 6/10, C) Oh look a Ryukishi07 work not done by Deen. I can't say I'm in love with the artwork. Meanwhile, the series tries to give out When they Cry vibes by finding ways to traumatize the audience. The cast is likable, but there really hasn't been any buildup besides an occasional disturbing scene. The storytelling is adequate and there's quite a bit of fanservice but it doesn't bother me for once. But all and all, it's just being adequate so far. Right now, we seem to have an angsty young boy, an overly friendly girl and her overly friendly brother, their cheerful support friend, the little sister, and the mysterious figure that does really nothing else but stare out windows and chide people for apparently obstructing the window. It'll take a bit more to distinguish itself from being another Higurashi wannabe (Oh nos the cicadas!)

Forunately there's quite a few anime movies out this year, but that'll be a while off before I can watch them.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-02-01 at 21:47.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 19:19   Link #28
Ansalem
Speaker

Here we go, worst to best:

Ladies versus Butlers: 1/10 (1 episode - dropped)
An ecchi harem comedy that didn't make me laugh a single time. Besides being filled with stereotypical characters, maids, and bad character design (giant drill hair?), the ecchi fanservice was extreme to the point it'd be awkward to watch with another person.

Omamori Himari: 5/10 (3 episodes)
Another ecchi harem comedy, but this one I found at least amusing. It also has the benefit of having a more interesting premise, with the main character being the descendant of a family of demon slayers. It also has the benefit of Koshimizu Ami with her delightful archaic speech patterns, this time as a cat rather than a wolf.

Dance in the Vampire Bund: 5/10 (3 episodes)
I'm still not sure what to make of this show. The first episode was an intriguing depiction of a cheesy Japanese panel show, where the topic in question -- vampires -- turn out to be real. The second and third shows seemed to be a mix of supernatural high school and action. However, why the main vampire deems it necessary to take control in a high school that she owns instead of concentrating on the new vampire island kingdom is confusing at least. It is accompanied by Shinbou's usual mix of interesting visuals and jarring angles.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: 6/10 (3 episodes)
This is a fairly amusing comedy show. The protagonists are in the worst class of a school where your grades determine your class and the facilities given to each class varies from cardboard boxes to luxury recliners depending on ranking. The virtual combat system in which the classes may challenge eachother seems rather limited thus far and since that is the basis of the show, it doesn't help it fair well in my opinion. However, character interaction has been moderately funny thus far.

Ookami Kakushi: 7/10 (3 episodes)
The protagonist Hiro and his family move to a new small town where his father, a novelist of the occult, can conduct research on the legends of the town's past. This slow-building show has already given the viewer ample reason to believe that they aren't simply legends or a matter of the past, with an old town vs. new town theme, bloody disappearances, the strange instant popularity of the average main character, and a mysterious fruit that may be more than simple a citrus snack. The setting is well done, but it still to be seen how the mysterious events progress from this point.

Katanagatari: 7/10 (1 episode)
If you dislike dialogue, stay away from this show, as so far it is composed of around 90% plot exposition and character banter. Even so, the story is interesting, the characters likable, and the art quite different from the norm and enjoyable for that quality alone. Witty humor is present yet less prevalent than last year's Bakemonogatari of the same author. I look forward to seeing how this monthly show progresses beyond its initial episode.

Sora no Woto: 7/10 (4 episodes)
This show is filled with visually stunning backgrounds and pleasant music. It also features a well-conceived setting in a future where war has led to the loss of older technologies, languages, and ways of life, and where the cultures of many countries have mixed into one. However, it has so far failed to capitalize on this excellent base, and featues a cast of some of the most stereotypical anime character archetypes. With episode four, the show seems to moving in the right direction, leaving hints about the making of the world as it is now, having more meaningful and interesting character interaction, and foreshadowing of actual plot events to come.

Hanamaru Kindergarten: 8/10 (3 episodes)
This is a surprisingly entertaining comedy of kindergarten students and their teachers. Between the antics of Anzu, who encouraged by her mother openly expresses her love for the new male teacher, and Hii, an unrealistically intelligent girl with a habit of wearing animal-themed onesies, there is plenty of humor to go around in this comedy.

Durarara!!: 8/10 (3 episodes)
Another anime heavy on dialogue, this show is the tale of a wide ensemble of high schoolers, misfits, miscreants, and a mysterious supernatural biker. It features changing narration and discussions in an online chat room to further the plot, and is a fun and entertaining depiction of the not-so-average daily events of these Ikebukuro denizens.

Nodame Cantabile Finale: 9/10 (2 episodes)
Nodame and Chiaki return for a final season in Paris with more classical music, romance, and mukyaa-filled humor. Another set of 11 episodes, this shares the quick pace of the Paris season, which unfortunately means no time for entire segments of classical music. Despite the shortcomings demanded by the condensed length, the show remains true to its essence, packing each episode full of the same classy humor and storytelling that made the previous two seasons thoroughly enjoyable.
Old 2010-01-28, 23:26   Link #29
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post

Here we go, worst to best:

Ladies versus Butlers: 1/10 (1 episode - dropped)
An ecchi harem comedy that didn't make me laugh a single time. Besides being filled with stereotypical characters, maids, and bad character design (giant drill hair?), the ecchi fanservice was extreme to the point it'd be awkward to watch with another person.
I'm not worried about watching this series solo. The entertainment factor is most important even if it's just fanservice and the storyline is not there. 7.5/10 (2 Episodes - continuing)
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 06:09   Link #30
Echoes

Having watched around 3 episodes of each series, I now feel comfortable giving my impressions of them thus far. This season has really surprised me, with some shows I had great expectations for letting me down, and others hitting me out left field and blowing me away.

Let's get the stuff that didn't make the cut out of the way first.

Chu-bra: Dropped. This is not my kind of thing, at all. I'm not interested in seeing middle schoolers' underwear, and I didn't find the humor funny either.

Ladies vs Butlers: Dropped.
This is as dumb as a pile of rocks. Nothing here even tries to be original or interesting, and I'm just not feeling like I need another mindless fanservice show right now. Also, the character designs remind me of Kanokon, which is definitely not a good sign.

Omamori Himari: Average
This is as cliched as it gets, but the execution is not bad. The characters designs are delightful, and though just about every harem trope rears its ugly head, I just can't say no to Koshimizu Ami as a feline warrior. I'm sure you won't hold it against me.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: Good
A high school comedy that's actually trying something outside the box, something original, and showing some effort while it's at it. I'm sold. While this isn't outstanding, it is entertaining, and it knows exactly where to draw the line on its jokes so it doesn't get stale or drawn out. Good stuff so far.

Dance in the Vampire Bund: Good-ish...
I'll admit that unreasonable expectations might have played a part in my disappointment in this anime. After seeing the trailers, I was expecting something amazing; essentially a female Alucard and tons of badassery. Instead, I got this quirky thing. There is a lot to like here, and I see tons of poential still, but after three episodes I'm still just mildy impressed. I'll stick with this no matter what, and it's not bad by any means, but I expected more.

Durara!!: Fantastic.

This is just amazing. Incredible dialogue, a vibrant setting and the same larger than life characters that made Baccano such a brilliant show. Cream of the crop of this season; a pure joy to watch. *This* is why I watch anime. Oh, and the opening and ending: just great!

Hanamaru Youchien: Very good.
And I thought I had seen cute... This show has enough charm to sustain a small city, and is hilarious, adorable and entertaining as hell. Don't let the fact that it's about a kindergarten deter you; this is one of the seasons very best shows.

Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu: Excellent.

More of the same. The third season has all the charm, style, creativity and unique humor we've grown accustomed to, and God bless them for that.

Ookamikakushi.: Good

I won't lie, this is just my kind of show. The comparisons with Higurashi are inevitable, and put side to side with it, this show falls short in just about every conceivable way. One of the worst being that the male lead is devoid of any character or charm. He's the typical harem lead, not one bit likable. While this does hold the show back, the side-cast is much more compelling, and the setting and story are big draws for me. The backgrounds are also quite beautiful, and I'm a sucker for mythology and wolves. Definitely a keeper; and has potential to be great by the end.

Seikon no Qwaser: Bad.

With a lackluster story, cliched characters and breasts that by all rights should be more appealing to a bull than to a human male, this show is far from impressive. Visually, it's quite nice though, and the voicework isn't bad. Still, I'd say this is worse than Queen's Blade, which should tell you something.

Sora no Woto: Fantastic.
It's been described as K-on goes to war, and I can see why. However, I feel that the moe doesn't play as central of a role here, and that there's a certain sophistication and depth that K-On lacked. I just love the setting, the abandoned school and the small mountain town bring out the romantic in me. The storytelling is superb, and the cast of characters is lovable. It also has what I consider the greatest opening and ending of the season. (What is it with amazing openings and Gustav Klimt, eh?)
Old 2010-01-30, 13:46   Link #31
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Based up to episode 4 now:

Durarara!! 7/10: The two more recent episodes of the show were much more enjoyable for me than the first was. Though I am starting to feel this show is getting a bit overhyped since other people's impressions make it out to be amazing, but has yet to really impress me to that point, I still like the show of course. And personally I really dislike the OP/ED for this show, just not in my tastes.

Omamori Himari 8/10: Despite the cliche-ness of it, and weaker first episode it has been consistently better from 2 episode onwards, and it's done decent job of having balance of comedy, and action I'd say.

Sora No Woto 9/10: If hasn't been said enough it has great music, animation, and setting. Characters aren't bad either, and storytelling in it is pretty strong.

Off Episode 1:
Katanagatari 8.5/10: I really enjoyed it's different art style, music, action[a bit small] and dialogue of the first episode. The character also all have interesting personalities. I really liked the OP, and ED for this show, and I look forward to the different ED theme per episode for it. Also again as some people have said if you don't like dialogue might not enjoy it.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 22:05   Link #32
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Recently dropped Ookami Kakushi. No offense but the last 2 episodes just pushed the rating from "creepy" to "downright uncomfortable". Also the pacing simply just does not jive with how the story seems like it's supposed to flow, there really feels like a deliberate slowing down of the story for whatever reason. The disconnect is so apparent. Almost makes me miss the crack-pace of Umineko's animation.

Oh wait no it doesn't.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 15:53   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

+1
The recent Katanagari seems like a keeper. Characters okey, from what I've seen. Its a little different, but I'm fine with it.
Old 2010-02-03, 22:55   Link #34
Project_MkUltra

Dhurarara
Episodes watched: 4
Rating (so far): A

Short review: Really reminds me of one of my most favorite animes ever, which was Baccano. Great OP and ED, interesting plot, nice art, and focuses on different characters backgrounds which is helpful.

Ookami Kakushi
Rating (so far); B-

Short review: So far it's going real slow. The only reason I'm watching this series is because Ryukishi07 made it. His works (Higurashi, Umineko) starts off slow but then gets full of excitement later on, I have hope for this series.

Dance in the vampire bund
Rating: F-
NOTE: I do like the manga.
(I dropped this anime).

Review: Probably the reason I hate this adaptation is because SHAFT made it. (All of their works I hate). The OP is terrible for one. The artwork/animation is completely CHEAP (it's all out of sync). And most importantly, the whole "original story" concept for this adaptation is horrible. I hate Shaft's BS original story because for one Mina's personality completely changed for the worst.

That is all the shows I've seen for the winter '10 season (I have yet to see Katanagari and Sora no Woto, all the others look horrible and I won't be waisting my time with those).
Project_MkUltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 14:12   Link #35
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
So far i ve only watched these ones:
Katanagatari: Watchable (average so far).
Dance in the Vampire Bund:FAIL
Seikon no Qwaser: MAX FAIL
Ill give Ookami Kakushi and Durarara!! a chance tonight that i have nothing to do.Wont watch the others since im not interested at all and have other animes in queue.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 15:03   Link #36
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Based up to episode 4 now:

Durarara!! 7/10: The two more recent episodes of the show were much more enjoyable for me than the first was. Though I am starting to feel this show is getting a bit overhyped since other people's impressions make it out to be amazing, but has yet to really impress me to that point, I still like the show of course. And personally I really dislike the OP/ED for this show, just not in my tastes.

Omamori Himari 8/10: Despite the cliche-ness of it, and weaker first episode it has been consistently better from 2 episode onwards, and it's done decent job of having balance of comedy, and action I'd say.

Sora No Woto 9/10: If hasn't been said enough it has great music, animation, and setting. Characters aren't bad either, and storytelling in it is pretty strong.
Off episode 5 Omamori Himari, and Sora no Woto stayed in expected range again so I'd keep same rating so far.
While Durarara!! really disappointed me this week after looking like it going a good interesting direction from episodes 3, and 4 if it could have kept that going I'd rate much higher but it didn't, so I'd rate it 5.5/10 since it's been switching between great episodes, and not so great ones now. If keeps doing this pattern I am gonna drop the show cause I don't like it.
MAL
Old 2010-02-10, 16:07   Link #37
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Sora no Woto - 6 Episodes - 8.88/10, B+ - I'm still liking the content and the storytelling they are showing in this series and it's rather enjoyable... without the excess moe.
Old 2010-02-12, 10:38   Link #38
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
While Durarara!! really disappointed me this week after looking like it going a good interesting direction from episodes 3, and 4 if it could have kept that going I'd rate much higher but it didn't, so I'd rate it 5.5/10 since it's been switching between great episodes, and not so great ones now. If keeps doing this pattern I am gonna drop the show cause I don't like it.
Durarara is holding up to what Baccano accomplished, in my opinion. In particular, episode 5 was a great blast from Baccano's way of handling storytelling.

It's probably one of the better series I've seen in a while, even though it might be going a little slow at the moment. This is good, though--this is a 2-cour series, which means it has enought air time to thoroughly develop all its numerous characters. Episode 5 in particular was really, really good in that respect.

Also, Katanagatari seems to be entertaining enough. I'm not the type of person who likes shounen series, but the art style and the idea of doing 1-hour long episodes (which basically makes it a 2-cour series, more or less) are pretty good reasons to watch it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 01:01   Link #39
klare

just wanna say i never dropped so many shows in one season

dropped after finished 1 eps
- Omamori Himari
- Ladies vs Butlers
- Chu-Bra

dropped before eps 1 even finish
- Seikon no Qwaser
- Dhurarara

still watching
- Sora no Woto
- Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
- Ookamikakushi
- Dance in the Vampire Bund

will review them after the season finish
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 14:13   Link #40
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
just wanna say i never dropped so many shows in one season

dropped after finished 1 eps
- Omamori Himari

- Ladies vs Butlers
- Chu-Bra
I'd say to given Omamori Himari another chance unless you utterly hated it cause the first episode easily been worse than the rest of the series so far.
MAL