Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-16, 18:10   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Always, ALWAYS take Mangapanda translations with a grain of salt. Always. I wouldn't trust them for a decent translation if my life depended on it, lol.
It was actually Mangastream that screwed up. Mangapanda's translation was correct (that particular line, at least).
Old 2014-01-16, 18:21   Link #62
marvelB

^Well, MS has a bit of a history in regards to mistranslation as well, so that doesn't surprise me. Either way, I wouldn't place my hopes on either of them (Powermanga all the way! ).
Old 2014-01-16, 19:00   Link #63
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

Quote:
They're not "rumors". When CP9 talked about it, they clearly pointed out that the "no more than 1 fruit rule" was established through scientific research. Or are you seriously trying to imply that top secret government agents would be less informed on these matters than the average marine or pirate?

So Blackbeard's ability to possess more than one fruit could be something scientific? Like a genetic cause? I never knew that statement about the df's. Thanks for the intel . But if it's the case that he can eat more than one fruit I still think that ability is more linked to the yami yami no mi. Otherwise why would he wait so many years for one specific fruit (abstaining from others) if the ability to aquire multiple abilities was already in him? On a voyage with whitebeard for over a deccade, you're bound to encounter plenty of fruits/users to take from.
Old 2014-01-16, 19:55   Link #64
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
^Always, ALWAYS take Mangapanda translations with a grain of salt. Always. I wouldn't trust them for a decent translation if my life depended on it, lol.

They're not "rumors". When CP9 talked about it, they clearly pointed out that the "no more than 1 fruit rule" was established through scientific research. Or are you seriously trying to imply that top secret government agents would be less informed on these matters than the average marine or pirate?

Blackbeard is a sole exception to the rule. Remember, Marco even specifically pointed out at Marineford that Teach had an "abnormal" body. Even before that, we had a hint about how unique Teach was when Ace said that he was living "double lives" (something that many people misinterpret as meaning that Teach was twice as old as Ace, but is not the case at all. It would be best to ask Aohige for further details though, since he can explain it much better than I can).

Anyway, my point is that you can't cite Blackbeard as a representative of the "average" DF user, because he's NOT a part of the norm. So I think we can forget about the possibility of Cavendish's alter ego having his own fruit ability, as well (since that's a personality awakened through sleepwalking, not an abnormality in the body).
“Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see”~Benjamin Franklin
You quote Cipher Pol like they are the leading authority on Devil Fruits. This organization is known for silencing people who know to much(Scholars of Ohara), Lying to the masses(Daflamingo resignation from the Schibukai), and going after people who have certain skills (Robin ability to read ponoglyphs), and keeping the populace ignorant so the WG can remains in power.

Science is not settled
You quote scientific research has if it is always right or never changes. Vegapunk researched objects eating devil fruits, researched workings of Devil fruit(Blood stream), created a artificial devil fruit (Momonosuke ate it), and replicated the Pika Pika No Mi’s powers. CC created SAD off of Vega Punk’s research that gave Kaidou 500 zoan users. Yet the idea of Clavendish/Hakuba wielding more then one fruit is not possible, because his abnormality(another personality, which is the brain department, which is also part of the body) is not like Black Beards abnormality. I like people who defy laws of reality and prove them wrong (Like Scientist like Vega Punk and CC, risk takers Black Beard, and etc). Because reality always sets boundaries then they do things and break it by doing what they are not supposed to do.

What people can have and what they can't have
Some people on this forum say that it ruins the story if other can do what black beard does(more then one devil fruit). If other people can't have more then one devil fruits because it will destroy Black Beards uniqueness or ruin the story, then SAD, Kuma Bots, Artificial Devil fruits, and any other Devil fruit research should not exist because they would destroy the uniqueness of the real devil fruit users. Right? What Black Beard did is only natural, he was trying to gain an edge in the war, and more will try to copy Black Beards idea(more then one devil fruit) through different means. Can you fault them for doing that if it means they can balance the power or get the edge in the war? Some of you are going to be very disappointed in Oda's writing because Punk Hazard and Dressrosa proves the devil fruit arms race is reached a whole new level and neither side is standing still.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2014-01-16 at 20:08.
Old 2014-01-16, 22:27   Link #65
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

So this chapter confirms that the Will of D refers to Luffy's lineage even though it was heavily hinted before. Seemingly he's a descendant of Joyboy who had a big role in void history.

Last edited by Poetic Justice; 2014-01-16 at 22:43.
Old 2014-01-17, 01:56   Link #66
Slayerx

Y'know i can't help but notice how the kingdom of Rommel seems like it was modeled after london. Now "Kamaitachi" is a reference to japanese folklore, but is Hakuba supposed to be some kind of reference related also to london? Jack the ripper maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
So this chapter confirms that the Will of D refers to Luffy's lineage even though it was heavily hinted before. Seemingly he's a descendant of Joyboy who had a big role in void history.
Not really. The line about the "evil linage" could be referring to his father Monkey D. Dragon. Ever since marineford, Luffy has become rather infamous not jsut through his actions but through his relation to the world's most wanted man. Also Joyboy was not mentioned at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
-Cavendish might be part of the revolutionaries
-Cavendish might be under sabo or just a fellow revolutionary army officer. They could be working with each other to recover the mera fruit and or go against doflamingo. This could be why sabo seemed to be disappointed that Cavendish lost.
Eh i doubt it... Cavendish comes up as being a bit too self-absorbed to care about what the revolutionaries are up too; He's all about the fame
Not to mention that one of his targets is the son of the revolutionary Leader

Last edited by Slayerx; 2014-01-17 at 02:16.
Old 2014-01-17, 03:11   Link #67
Rainbowman

Not to be off-topic, but here is what little information there is for the new One Piece movie celebrating in the 15th anniversary. Love how colorful the costumes are.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=40502
Old 2014-01-17, 05:09   Link #68
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post

Not really. The line about the "evil linage" could be referring to his father Monkey D. Dragon. Ever since marineford, Luffy has become rather infamous not jsut through his actions but through his relation to the world's most wanted man. Also Joyboy was not mentioned at all.
r
"Evil lineage" seems like a term for something that is long running. Don't think it would fit if it was just for his father. The part of Joyboy is my assumption based on the past information we have.
Old 2014-01-17, 05:21   Link #69
Spammowarrior

I find it amusing that Doflamingo, a powerful underground broker, dealing in information daily, doesn't know about sogeking/usopp

I also find it interesting to read, in a translation, that luffy has "treacherous blood". this could very well mean that an ancestor of his betrayed the celestial dragons. is the translation accurate?
Old 2014-01-17, 06:16   Link #70
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
“Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see”~Benjamin Franklin
You quote Cipher Pol like they are the leading authority on Devil Fruits. This organization is known for silencing people who know to much(Scholars of Ohara), Lying to the masses(Daflamingo resignation from the Schibukai), and going after people who have certain skills (Robin ability to read ponoglyphs), and keeping the populace ignorant so the WG can remains in power.
They were talking among each other and not to other people. And the CP don't have to be a leading authority. They were merely quoting Grand Line scientists who, if specialized in researching DFs, are a leading authority. (Who else would be?)
As far as we know, the body, not the personality, is the limiting factor for a second Devil Fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
So you accept an abnormality in the body as a reason to have two DF, but not an abnormality in the brain?

Some time ago I've seen an interessting report on some real-world split personalities. There were some people, whose split personalities had some completely different traits: For example there was a person with a diabetic split-persona. Another example was one of a person whose alter ego had some allergies he himself didn't have.
But if you're going that far into the real world, you have to add, that the average amount of multiple personalities is 10 and that it is believed that this disorder derives from physical or sexual abuse in the childhood.
Other symptoms include self-mutilation, suicidal thoughts and depressions, which I don't see in Cavendish
My point is, that this is stretching the manga too far. The explanation was, that two Devil Fruits will make the body explode because it can't handle two of them at the same time (for whatever reason) with Blackbeard as the sole exception (abnormality of his body).
Old 2014-01-17, 10:20   Link #71
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
Other symptoms include self-mutilation, suicidal thoughts and depressions, which I don't see in Cavendish
Unless there is a third personality, a base personality, that hates itself and wants to die....

Honestly, Oda would never use realistic traits/identifiers for a split personality, he'd use Hollywood-style knowledge of the disease.

I like the notion of split personalities being able to utilize different DFs. It's an interesting concept that could create an interesting dynamic (the character Legion from the X-Men had a similar ability were each personality has its own power). Sadly, Cavendish isn't interesting enough to pull it off .

Last edited by james0246; 2014-01-17 at 16:26.
Old 2014-01-17, 15:09   Link #72
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
They were talking among each other and not to other people. And the CP don't have to be a leading authority. They were merely quoting Grand Line scientists who, if specialized in researching DFs, are a leading authority. (Who else would be?)
As far as we know, the body, not the personality, is the limiting factor for a second Devil Fruit. .
Do has I say not has I do
Your correcting me on who’s talking to who when you have a post that from The Small One (Link 73) that is for Mavel B. You know The Small One was responding to Marvel B in that post(Link 73) right? Your actions are very interesting. Second do you know were the idea for Clavendish/Hakuba having more then one fruit came from at least in chapter 734 post. Try chapter 734 link 52 page 3. Third why do you think I said the science was not settled? Its always changing, so are the facts, and what we know. CP9 said that in the Water 7 arch. Black Beard in the MarineFord arc proved you can have more then one.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:16   Link #73
imza

Quote:
They were talking among each other and not to other people.
But if you're going that far into the real world, you have to add, that the average amount of multiple personalities is 10 and that it is believed that this disorder derives from physical or sexual abuse in the childhood.
If you really want to reference the "real world", than you'd have to get rid of the notion all together. Multiple personality disorder aka dissociative identity disorder does not actually exist, outside of fraud, therapeutic abuse, and of course popular media
Old 2014-01-18, 03:15   Link #74
marvelB

Well if it isn't my old buddy grey_1960. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Quote:

ri0 already took care of this one for me, but I just want to reiterate here: CP9 were talking among themselves during that scene I mentioned, so I see no reason why they would fabricate any info here. And while I also wouldn't go as far as saying they're the "leading authority" on the fruits, the fact that they're top secret intelligence officers lends a LOT of weight to the idea that they'd be better informed about their properties compared to the average pirate or marine, as I said previously. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this arc's CP0 probably knew even MORE. I mean, these are the guys who answer directly to the world nobles, after all....

Quote:
Science is not settled
You quote scientific research has if it is always right or never changes.

Of course scientific research is ever-evolving. I never denied that! But I wonder if YOU ever thought of the possibility that it was Vegapunk himself who established the current "rules" regarding devil fruits? Obviously he wouldn't be the first person ever to research them, but I think we can at least agree that he was the one to unearth most, if not all of their secrets, no? So why can't we assume it was him who made those rules known throughout the world rather than some random, no-name dude in a lab coat?

Quote:
What people can have and what they can't have
Some people on this forum say that it ruins the story if other can do what black beard does(more then one devil fruit).

Just to make my stance clear on this issue: Personally, I'm not entirely against the idea of a character having more than one fruit power. I certainly didn't complain when that turned out to be the case with Blackbeard. Maybe at some point in the future there will be another character or two who harbors two abilities as well, I dunno. But IMO, it WOULD cheapen things if we had an entire pirate army of multi-fruit users. The whole point of DFs is that they're rare and the individuals who eat them know how to make effective use of their (single) power. Oda's done a good job of showing that in the 700+ chapters of the series so far, so why change that anytime soon?

Now, about the Pacifistas/Smiles: I can let those slide because they're..... y'know, artificial powers. Plus, in the Smiles' case, they're currently only limited to zoans (I probably would have a problem if Oda started spamming logias at us, but thankfully that hasn't been the case). I'm even curious as to know whether or not it's possible to wield both a "true" DF and a Smile simultaneously..... at least THAT there is a loophole to the whole "two fruits" rule I can see being plausible. But even then, I don't expect to see too many characters taking advantage of such a thing, either (and most certainly not someone like Cavendish ).

Quote:
So you accept an abnormality in the body as a reason to have two DF, but not an abnormality in the brain?

Pretty much, yeah. Blackbeard's case seems to be more of a genetics thing, rather than something to do with the brain's hidden potential or whatever.

Quote:
Some time ago I've seen an interessting report on some real-world split personalities. There were some people, whose split personalities had some completely different traits: For example there was a person with a diabetic split-persona. Another example was one of a person whose alter ego had some allergies he himself didn't have.
So I really see no problem in Cavendish, a fictional character, having two fruit powers if the author likes.

I've heard of cases of body-alteration in regards to split personalities myself, yes. Still, even if many people don't agree with me on this, OP is definitely a series that has its own rules and logic. So if under normal circumstances a person dies if they eat a second devil fruit, I think it's safe to say that's going to be the case with nearly everyone else. So unless Cavendish was born with a "unique" body like Blackbeard, I expect that he'd meet the same fate as the vast majority of unfortunate souls who succumbed to their greed, no matter how different "Hakuba's" body is from the base personality.

Quote:
BTW, I hope we agree, that the whole discussion is only theoretical, since Cavendish won't get the MeraMera-no-Mi in the first place.

Of course! It's not like I EVER saw him winning the fruit or anything, lol.
Old 2014-01-18, 09:10   Link #75
LeoThugs
Ero Sennin the Second

Send a message via Yahoo to LeoThugs
I don't really understand what the issue about Blackbeard having 2 devil fruit abilities is. If he can absorb the ability of an opponent's devil fruit simply by touching them, it stands to reason he can absorb the entire devil fruit from a dead person if given the ample time and before the devil fruit disappears to be reborn elsewhere. I imagine it to be a messy and gruesome procedure thats why he put the black cloth over themselves.

Anyway I am nearly almost certain that its the ability of the yami yami no mi which allows the user to absorb/pull the abilities of other devil fruits and use them.
Old 2014-01-18, 09:24   Link #76
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

So, Cavendish got disqualified in a very flashy way in order to keep Rebecca's drama story alive.
So uh since she absolutely has no chance nor anything special to show anymore, she is basically a target for Burgess.

And thinking of all 3 winners having a common ideal, I can see Luffy+Rebecca+Bartolomeo teaming up against Burgess. It is likely possible and a very fitting end for THAT powerful strike force to struggle against Burgess and maybe finally ending him for good. Still I have doubts, Burgess cannot be taken down this fast. He is one of the core villains of main story after all.

Also that kamaitachi word brought back some very unplesant memories from a certain boring and terrible filler episode of the past. Hopefully there wont be "okama-itachi or kama-itachi?" jokes this time.
Old 2014-01-18, 10:31   Link #77
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoThugs View Post
I don't really understand what the issue about Blackbeard having 2 devil fruit abilities is. If he can absorb the ability of an opponent's devil fruit simply by touching them, it stands to reason he can absorb the entire devil fruit from a dead person if given the ample time and before the devil fruit disappears to be reborn elsewhere. I imagine it to be a messy and gruesome procedure thats why he put the black cloth over themselves.

Anyway I am nearly almost certain that its the ability of the yami yami no mi which allows the user to absorb/pull the abilities of other devil fruits and use them.
My thoughts exactly,no matter how cool of a body BB has,I doubt that it is as abnormal as being able to swallow 2 devil fruits,when in-fact it had nothing to do with eating 2 devil fruits,the 2nd one was obviously absorbed using his devil fruit ability,and from the look of things he had to split them equally in his body(one hand WB's fruit and the other is BB's fruit).
Old 2014-01-18, 13:33   Link #78
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard acquiring the quake ability could be attributed to both having an abnormal body and the darkness fruit. But Marco's words about Teach were said for a reason, and Oda wouldn't have him say that if it meant nothing.
Old 2014-01-18, 16:16   Link #79
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
And thinking of all 3 winners having a common ideal, I can see Luffy+Rebecca+Bartolomeo teaming up against Burgess. It is likely possible and a very fitting end for THAT powerful strike force to struggle against Burgess and maybe finally ending him for good. Still I have doubts, Burgess cannot be taken down this fast. He is one of the core villains of main story after all.
You mean Sabo as Luffy? I don't see how Sabo would not be able to be Burgess or at least match him. Sabo last we knew was just under Ace, Ace was stronger than Luffy. When Burgess last confronted Ace, I think we can agree that he was outmatched by Teach's own admission. He maybe much stronger now but I think it's reasonable to assume Sabo is very strong as well, perhaps even stronger than Luffy. I honestly think Luffy beating Burgess would have been worse but Oda can have Sabo be stronger than Luffy and beat him without making Burgess look weak.
Old 2014-01-18, 17:22   Link #80
james0246

Quote:
Though IIRC there are still 5 of Doffy's men scheduled to take part in the tournament, so each block winner probably first has to fight against one of them, then they go into the semi-finals and the two winners will probably fight the final.
Franky is currently fighting one if not all of the Donquixote Pirates that are supposed to fight in the tournament. So, if Franky and the Strawhats can defeat the Diamante Army, then the members of the tournament will not have to face them, save for maybe Diamante himself.
Closed Thread