Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-20, 18:15   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

If You Wanted Someone to Watch One Show

Everyone has their favorite shows - mine if ef ~a tale of memories~ but it's not the first one I'd recommend to someone watch. Usually, you have a show that, when someone asks what to watch, you suggest immediately. For me, it's Earth Maiden Arjuna. Well, now I'm asking you all what to watch, and I want to to suggest me that show that, regardless or whether you think I'll even like it or not, you want me to watch.

Here's my anime list - anything outside the 'watching' or 'complete' categories is fair game. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/2008digitalboy

and while your at it, watch Earth Maiden Arjuna!!!
Old 2008-08-20, 18:19   Link #2
9mmx19

Damn one show huh... Yakitate!! Japan for funny/lighter stuff. Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor for darker/serious stuff.
Old 2008-08-20, 18:49   Link #3
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Baccano!, it is a one of the best anime out there and it is such shame that it doesn't get the attention it deserves.
Old 2008-08-20, 19:25   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Baccano!, it is a one of the best anime out there and it is such shame that it doesn't get the attention it deserves.
It gets quite a bit actually if you look in the right places. Baccano threads are always a success on /a/ and there's a shittonfuckassload of fanart out there. Plus the show has now been liscenced by FUNimation, so it'll be easy to come by. But yeah, it's one of the greatest shows ever, definitely.
Old 2008-08-20, 20:35   Link #5
LeoXiao
思想工作

monster. one of the best and thought-provoking i've ever seen, if not the most.
Old 2008-08-20, 20:47   Link #6
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

It depends on my agenda. Arjuna is just way too preachy. Monster is outstanding, but I don't remember it provoking me to any substantive thought about any serious concerns that even a casual reading of Nietzsche, Kant, Descartes, Acquinas, Bertrand Russell, David Hume, Charles H. Spurgeon, C.S. Lewis, or even Robert Ludlum compelled me to investigate.

If I wanted to introduce someone to anime for the very first time, I'd probably have them watch the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in order to show off the high quality and general appeal of the medium. It's a mix of comedy, sci-fi, and supernatural, and it's got an amusing narrative courtesy of Kyon's cynicism so I think the uninitiated can sit in without having to know anything about anime.

If I were to persuade one about how seriously music can be taken to enhance the viewing experience of any cartoon, I would point one to Escaflowne. I've seen some of the remastered material, and judged by even today's series the video and animation are excellent. So that along with the strongest score I know in anime and a superbly crafted fantasy tale, I would recommend this as the reference for high production values coupled with an entertaining story.

If I wanted to prod a manic depressive to commit suicide or an embittered anti-war activist to off some people, I'll have them watch Grave of the Fireflies.

I would have no geeky friends to whom I'd show off the sophistry of Ghost in the Shell, because they were the ones to tell me about it.

For younger viewers, I'd point them to Cardcaptor Sakura.

For those into comedy, I'd point them to Fumoffu, Sukuran, or La Blue Girl (but in English dub).
Old 2008-08-20, 23:47   Link #7
cerrian

Blassreiter - this is THE most underrated show of 2008. It was heavily ignored and dropped by almost everyone because the production company, Gonzo, did an incredibly jaw-dropping horrible job on their previous series, Dragonaut.

Even I initially passed on this because the usage of motorcycles seemed like another cheap excuse for Gonzo to use CG. Three months later I gave it another go because those few people who had stuck with it from the begining were passionately defending this title. I watched up to episode 5 before I was completely sold. This is one of those few titles that I've regretted ignoring early on.
Old 2008-08-21, 01:53   Link #8
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Wow I picked up three series to watch from this thread, baccano, blassreiter, and dragonaut seem to fit my tastes.

If I could choose some... I would like to suggest Full Metal Panic or the Gundam Seed Series. Both I thought were very solid shows and creates pretty much a good mood for the viewer. Hajime no Ippo carries a lot of suspense and uplifting/motivational, so that comes up to mind.

Monster seems to "investigative" and little on action (or pretty girls). Haha...
Old 2008-08-21, 02:11   Link #9
jedinat

Ehh, you've seen/dropped/put on hold everything I would immediately recommend.
Go watch Full Moon o Sagashite. It should at the least be on your drop list
Old 2008-08-21, 12:09   Link #10
r0cawearz

Yakitate Japan. It got me into watching and so did two other friends.
Old 2008-08-21, 12:57   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've always been spreading Haruhiism and its my number one offer to anyone who didn't specify any requirements. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-08-21, 13:01   Link #12
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
Wow I picked up three series to watch from this thread, baccano, blassreiter, and dragonaut seem to fit my tastes.
Seriously...you're going to give dragonaut a spin? Best of luck to you and be sure to contribute to its legendary thread.
Old 2008-08-21, 19:11   Link #13
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Ehh, you've seen/dropped/put on hold everything I would immediately recommend.
Go watch Full Moon o Sagashite. It should at the least be on your drop list
lol, someone who actually remembered to read my anime list! I've given full moon thought, I read the first 2 volumes of the manga but didn't like it - mostly, though, that's because shoujo artwork in manga bothers me (frills make things confusing). I suppose I could give the anime a try.
Old 2008-08-21, 19:20   Link #14
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
It gets quite a bit actually if you look in the right places. Baccano threads are always a success on /a/ and there's a shittonfuckassload of fanart out there. Plus the show has now been liscenced by FUNimation, so it'll be easy to come by. But yeah, it's one of the greatest shows ever, definitely.
I did notice that it was getting more attention recently which is nice, and lets hope that more people will watch it .
Old 2008-08-21, 20:04   Link #15
Z3120

It's a toss among Hikaru no Go, Hajime no Ippo and Mushishi to me. If I must pick one, I'd have to say Hajime no Ippo because compared to Mushishi and Hikaru no Go, the visual presentation wasn't appealing enough to lure any of my friends to watch Ippo. Then there's the idea some of my friends view boxing as a very American sport, and as such, since Ippo is an anime adaptation of boxing - and they were expecting the inhuman techniques like in Prince of Tennis pulled - quite a few of my friends were terribly turned off by the concept without giving it a shot because mainly of the animation style. They'll watch Bleach, Naruto and such, but Hajime no Ippo? Nope.
Old 2008-08-21, 21:55   Link #16
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Seriously...you're going to give dragonaut a spin? Best of luck to you and be sure to contribute to its legendary thread.
Wait, are you suggesting that I don't watch it? Is it bad or something?
Old 2008-08-21, 21:59   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Blassreiter - this is THE most underrated show of 2008. It was heavily ignored and dropped by almost everyone because the production company, Gonzo, did an incredibly jaw-dropping horrible job on their previous series, Dragonaut.

Even I initially passed on this because the usage of motorcycles seemed like another cheap excuse for Gonzo to use CG. Three months later I gave it another go because those few people who had stuck with it from the begining were passionately defending this title. I watched up to episode 5 before I was completely sold. This is one of those few titles that I've regretted ignoring early on.
^Dude I really wanted to check out this title based on your passionate post but then I read the official plot synopsis...

*Imaganing the movie previews voice-over guy saying this*

Plot Summary: Faced with an outbreak of demonic blood, which transforms humans into insane and hideous creatures bent on violence and death, only one man can stand against the tide of destruction. Joseph Jobson, the only man able to control his cursed demonic form, must hunt down the man who cursed him and save the world from apocalypse.

I just started to bust out laffing ...I don't want to see monsters on moto-bikes...The description just killed it for me...
Old 2008-08-21, 23:17   Link #18
Echoes

Normally I would say Cowboy Bebop, because the show manages to be amazing and still retain a pretty broad appeal. I see that you've already had the pleasure, however.

I'm always very eager to recommend Mushishi, so I'll do that here as well. It's a true masterpiece in my eyes, every second of it is enjoyable. Some people find it repetitive, or even boring, but in my eyes, that couldn't be further from the truth. At the very least, the art should leave you awestruck.

/Offtopic
Quote:
Wait, are you suggesting that I don't watch it? Is it bad or something?
Bad doesn't even cover it. It was such an epic failure it's hard to put into words. But that made it funny in its own way, especially if you kept up with the forums as it was airing. I won't say you shouldn't watch it or anything, because I've no idea what kind of anime you enjoy, but most people I've conversed with find it to be a horrible show.
Old 2008-08-21, 23:54   Link #19
Shizuka Hiou
Level X

^
lol agreed
dragonaut is lol.. like really really bad.
First episode was fine, but after that... it was just getting ridiculous.
Old 2008-08-22, 00:16   Link #20
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Hmmm you watched 230 animes and have like 200 more between dropped and currently watching -.- I dont think i can suggest you any new gg anime.

My personal favorite that i would suggest anyone is Fate Stay Night(serious/sad) or Kenichi (happy). Full Metal Panic would be a mixture of those 2..
Closed Thread