AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-22, 12:20   Link #161
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wow, Saya's twin using a fat game boy? This must be set in the 90's, only to be later disproven with Dad using a cellphone later. C'mon guys, pick one or other.

Still loving this show, as there's Kokonotsu saying that he'll find a particular flavor for Saya. Once he found it, we got this cute scene of him trying to give it to her underwater, only to be broken up by the twin brother. Why the cockblock nii-san? MC going for Saya means you're free to pursue Hotaru without any obstacles. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
I'm firmly on Team Saya but dat Hotaru-neko
Uragiri-mono!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 13:16   Link #162
Tenzen12

No Saya for Kokonatsu. I am taking her home with me!
Old 2016-01-22, 15:42   Link #163
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Uragiri-mono!
B-b-but...it's not fair to draw Hotaru with a fang. How can my heart withstand?
Old 2016-01-22, 15:54   Link #164
James Rye

"Heh, we failed."
And they looked so proud while thinking unisono so. XD

Neon7 reminds me of the candy I had as a child, don't think it was called the same but you also had to get the hard sugar outta it by pulling it with your teeth outta its plastic bag. Good time when a piece of candy could make you soooooo happy~

That new ED is great, I love it. Saya-shi in Candyland with Hotaru in pretty much every role. <3
Old 2016-01-22, 16:30   Link #165
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
from my asian perspective, this kind of candy and snack show is extremely relatable. i don't know how any westerner from modern countries can like this.
We might not be able to relate to the specific candies, but not every dagashi on this show is completely foreign to us. We have items similar to some of them in the US, and for those we don't, it's not like it's rocket science. It's pretty simple to understand and relate to. You just have to want to relate to it, and have to put a little brainpower into trying to understand it (neither of which is a sentiment I pick up among those claiming they "can't"). It's kind of like having a joke explained to you, except it's more show than tell, so it doesn't ruin the joke. And the friendly banter—the sitting around acting the fool and talking hyper-seriously about stupid stuff—is completely relatable for anyone who isn't totally assburgers. If you never had friends you did stuff like that with, you've had a sad life.
Old 2016-01-22, 18:15   Link #166
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
We might not be able to relate to the specific candies, but not every dagashi on this show is completely foreign to us. We have items similar to some of them in the US, and for those we don't, it's not like it's rocket science. It's pretty simple to understand and relate to. You just have to want to relate to it, and have to put a little brainpower into trying to understand it (neither of which is a sentiment I pick up among those claiming they "can't"). It's kind of like having a joke explained to you, except it's more show than tell, so it doesn't ruin the joke. And the friendly banter—the sitting around acting the fool and talking hyper-seriously about stupid stuff—is completely relatable for anyone who isn't totally assburgers. If you never had friends you did stuff like that with, you've had a sad life.
did i somehow trigger you?
Old 2016-01-22, 18:45   Link #167
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Alright, I think compared to episode 2 and my comments about it, episode 3 was definitely an improvement.

It might just be when it's only Coconut and Hotaru having a conversation, the two that know about snacks the most in this anime (Aside from the dad) the conversations become a lot more narrow and advanced in terms of a certain topic. However, when you throw a wrench in there, the wrench being Tou, Saya or even the father, the conversation expands and becomes a lot more open to more jokes and dialogue, mainly because Tou and Saya haven't the slightest clue what on Earth they're talking about, making a lot of us relate to them.

Tou and Saya made this episode for me. Tou, where were you last episode! Your intents and reactions were the high point in the episode, completely dumbfounding Hotaru with your own lack of knowledge Also Saya's attempt to try and impress Hotaru was an entertaining scene, she was anticipating Hotaru's reaction
Old 2016-01-22, 20:34   Link #168
Wandering Soul

They had some pretty proud looks on their faces for two people that failed their mission.

I do agree that things are better when Tou and Saya are around.
Old 2016-01-22, 20:42   Link #169
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

On this episode, we get to see how Japan dwells with summer, as well as how companies try to keep children from emptying their wallets by eating too much dagashi too fast.

I honestly do not get Butamen because I'm pretty sure they can just get a cup of Nissin over at the convenience store, but I guess it's a cheap alternative for those who want their instant noodle fix. The parts about candy sticks is a bit more relatable, though. Well, not the part about eating jelly sticks in public pools. Instead, they use it as a way to keep the children preoccupied. For example, over here, there's a sweet here that's made up of a yogurt-like liquid that's shoved into a long thin tube that's even thinner than the ones in juice drinks. You'd imagine how much time you'll spend in sucking the ever-living hell out of the yogurt inside.

The best part for me is probably the citrus sweet part.
The edible wrapping reminds me of White Rabbit candies, which also have an edible inner wrapping.

What a surprise, though. The OP and ED had a lot of things I've actually eaten/played, like those stiff airplanes and the chocolate umbrellas.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 21:08   Link #170
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ Calling them "White Rabbit candies" doesn't do the sweets justice. Their name literally means BIG WHITE RABBIT MILK CANDIES (大白兔奶糖)! More cute, yo.

(Yes, they were a favourite of mine. I still go squee whenever I find them on sale. )

Count me in for Team Saya. It's a shame to learn that's she's only meant to be a side character.

I knew nothing about dagashi until this anime and, to my pleasant surprise, I discovered this bite-sized NHK documentary about dagashi-ya, in English.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

(9:39): How dagashiya impart useful life lessons for kids
(15:23): The history behind dagashiya, and why they're in decline
(21:38): Nostalgia drives the revival of one dagashiya in prime retail space

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 21:32   Link #171
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
^ Calling them "White Rabbit candies" doesn't do the sweets justice. Their name literally means BIG WHITE RABBIT MILK CANDIES (大白兔奶糖)! More cute, yo.
They're sold here as White Rabbit. The original candies did suffer from bad rep after two cases of contamination (see Wikipedia article). The White Rabbits that are now sold here are "two kinds", the other being a hard caramel candy: White Rabbit Butter Toffee. Chances are the original milk ones aren't sold here anymore, but I could vaguely remember the taste.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 21:39   Link #172
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 3

I feel like the Piggy Ramen is one those foods that have appeared in this show which really stretches the definition of snack... but I guess the term is much board in Japan then where I'm from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, Says might not be that sexy, but she is sane. I think Coconuts might have some appreciation for that
Sanity is overrated.

Really though, Coconuts clearly attracted to her, a fact his dad use to get him inherent the shop. Hell he even drawn pictures of a character that looks like her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
hmm interesting, in order to make saya more "relevant" they are using most of the chapters she appear in anime, and don't really following the manga order, well to be honest the manga also is not really all that centered is more like detective conan where you can read any chapter and don't fell missing anything from the plot each episode is pretty much stand alone or episodic then they really don't need to worry about following any "order", but this can be good and bad since she don't have that much screentime this could means which they can run out of chapters with her near the end, if they keep that pace with her since she is not really important as they are trying to make looks(no offense for her fans is just which in manga she really don't appear as much as the anime could make looks).
Dagashi Kashi has pretty paper thin narrative, so the anime can easily go back and add Saya every chapter she doesn't appear because it will no major effect on anything. Well as long as it nothing extreme anyway. That one of few positives to source being episodic.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 21:57   Link #173
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Tou still alive after all that blood loss and Hotaru with more screws loose bring in a heater in summer for what every she had
Old 2016-01-22, 23:33   Link #174
Yamada II

Episode 3
Lol the OP and ED just got crazy.

In the boiling summer heat, Hotaru brought a stove in the middle of the room, turned off the already on its deathbed air conditioner, and made them feel like they were in hell. And Tou-kun was waiting to see the erotic scene of Hotaru eating noodles.

They went to the pool to cool off and Hotaru set up a plan there with help from You-san. The jacket was in the way so this wasn't that fun an escapade as it could have been...

Lol Hotaru teaching Tou-kun the tight way to eat that candy in the most ridiculous way ever. Saya was trying to figure out the correct way to eat that candy to avoid embarrassment in front of Hotaru that she doesn't know how to eat candy lol.

The comedy is just so good here. Hotaru isn't the only one making this hilarious – the other characters are all equally stupid and funny (or maybe Hotaru is a bit more than them).
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 05:55   Link #175
s07195
However,

You have to admit the narrative about the air-con giving up the ghost is a pretty smart way to connect the chapters together. And I'm not against more Saya-shi and Tou-kun. XD
Old 2016-01-23, 06:13   Link #176
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

Sanity is overrated.

Really though, Coconuts clearly attracted to her, a fact his dad use to get him inherent the shop. Hell he even drawn pictures of a character that looks like her!
Physical attractiveness is overrated and it last 40 years at most. Sanity makes good partner forever. In long run who would want just get dragged along through various crazy cr-p just because nice exterior?

It would be nice if Coconuts became aware of that, but he is teenagers affected hormons so...
Old 2016-01-23, 10:23   Link #177
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Saya and Hotaru are cool dancers. :0
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 12:12   Link #178
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

LOL @ White Rabbit comparisons. At first I tried to unwrap those little buggers, but I always fail in that some bit of white wrapper was still stuck on the candy. I just said fuck it and ate everything, wrapper and all. Never bought it again after that since it was too much of a hassle to eat them. Didn't know you are SUPPOSED to eat the wrapper as well.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 13:51   Link #179
Dop
Mmmm....

I thought the third episode was better than the second because you had Saya and Tou to bounce things off and add more flavour to the show. Hotaru pitching the sweet into Tou's mouth was hilarious.

I liked the touch that Coconuts had moved stuff into a cooler place because it was so hot, during the stove scene I'd been thinking "won't the heat start melting stuff?"
Moving it showed the character was at heart sensible.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 16:17   Link #180
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Basically, for me this is a series about a candy chuunibyou. And it's a testament to Japan's ability not just to obsess over the most trivial things, but to turm that obsession into an entertaining anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
candy, comedy, daily life, shounen