Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-14, 19:10   Link #1381
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
well, there's a lesbian scene between yui and hayami while they're living in tokyo...
Though that's the Afterstory, not part of the actual/main H2O story.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:18   Link #1382
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
But, by all means, you can feel free to ignore it if you want to.
Not going to ignore it, just not going to judge a title clearly based on character development and a nice twist-filled plot just because they forgot to give too much tought on the poem. In fact since I knew the poem, I kind of ignored it from the first episode on in some sort of "whatever, I know where this poem is going" and I was more interested in the characters and how their issues would be handled, not any simbolism (which we all agree is near to non-existent)

Hmmm didn't get that suble item about the child on the last episode, that indeed kills the "interpretation" for Hamaji xD~

Funny thing to me is that, removed the end (after the credits), I never once though this was any magic related, since spirits changing blindness (first episode so not a spoiler) can be religious, not magic =p It's like saying Haibane Renmei is a mahou shoujo? hmmm think not.

Anyway you convinced me about the magic, so yes the ending was kind of too out of there =/

----

BTW since I did not find a image thread for H2O, here is a wall I just finished:

http://www.daisuki.com.br/wallpaper/1396

Last edited by Caiobrz; 2008-04-14 at 20:53.
Caiobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 22:39   Link #1383
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
well, there's a lesbian scene between yui and hayami while they're living in tokyo...
Lol, plot twist.

Wonder why they didn't include that.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 03:37   Link #1384
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiobrz View Post
I was more interested in the characters and how their issues would be handled, not any simbolism (which we all agree is near to non-existent)
I guess I get to be contraian as usual and disagree. So much of what happened in the show was symbolic; it was never simply about what was happening on the surface. That being said, I also don't think they "forgot to give too much thought on the poem" either, but that was a discussion long past. In other words, I think it was good because it was symbolic, but a lot of people didn't like/appreciate/"get" the symbolism so they didn't like or appreciate that aspect. As always, it's a matter of taste/preference, I guess.

Quote:
since spirits changing blindness (first episode so not a spoiler) can be religious, not magic
Well, if you're going to say that, resurrection can also be equally "religious", not magical. In fact, given that the show was using the poem as a metaphor, perhaps it's more apt to call the ending "spiritual" than "magical". Basically, you could say that it was "god's handiwork", like so much of the rest of the plot. But however you choose to explain it, there were certainly some supernatural powers at work throughout.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 12:05   Link #1385
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Quote:
So much of what happened in the show was symbolic; it was never simply about what was happening on the surface. ... As always, it's a matter of taste/preference, I guess.
I know there are plenty of symbolism, and I appreciate that, I always favour titles which makes me read between the lines or have a nice thought provoking session, all I was saying is that H2O is not one of the best titles at it, BUT if features a nice character development and plot and thus I don't think we should judge it only by the symbolic aspect - thus my opinion on not getting too carried away on the symbolism. Again, I get the symbolism, but my previous knowledge on the poem might have spoiled parts of that, though I still appreciate some other issues handled in some single episodes.

IMHO that poem was never really all that meaninful to start with, but as you said, it's a past discussion and I have no intention into getting into that.

Quote:
Well, if you're going to say that, resurrection can also be equally "religious", not magical. In fact, given that the show was using the poem as a metaphor, perhaps it's more apt to call the ending "spiritual" than "magical".
I totally agree, it's just that a small little twist making a blind guy being able to temporarily see (or think he could) is, let's say, mildly religious/magic (meaning, most people will accept it ), while ressurection is very deep into religious stuff and most people would rather think of it as magic (specially if they are part of specific religions that don't believe in ressurection or reincarnation) rather than believing that was religions. My point is this: the blindness thing is soft enough to not bug much people, the ressurection however, in my opinion, was over the top =p

So I would have liked the ending better if they didn't get that far into "spiritual" concepts as you well put. It sounded too much of a fairy-tale, and

Spoiler for end:
Old 2008-04-15, 12:40   Link #1386
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
I know there are plenty of symbolism, and I appreciate that, I always favour titles which makes me read between the lines or have a nice thought provoking session, all I was saying is that H2O is not one of the best titles at it, BUT if features a nice character development and plot and thus I don't think we should judge it only by the symbolic aspect - thus my opinion on not getting too carried away on the symbolism. Again, I get the symbolism, but my previous knowledge on the poem might have spoiled parts of that, though I still appreciate some other issues handled in some single episodes.

IMHO that poem was never really all that meaninful to start with, but as you said, it's a past discussion and I have no intention into getting into that.
I love the poem and to me, it is full of meaning

I think the problem here is how the ending for this series has caused such a split opinion that it basically resulted in a discussion based on the meaning of such through using the poem. Ultimately though, the poem is the influence throughout the story that never strayed very far when I was watching, trying to figure out how events connected.

But I guess it is just how much you see the poem to be as an importance.
Quote:
I totally agree, it's just that a small little twist making a blind guy being able to temporarily see (or think he could) is, let's say, mildly religious/magic (meaning, most people will accept it ), while ressurection is very deep into religious stuff and most people would rather think of it as magic (specially if they are part of specific religions that don't believe in ressurection or reincarnation) rather than believing that was religions. My point is this: the blindness thing is soft enough to not bug much people, the ressurection however, in my opinion, was over the top =p

So I would have liked the ending better if they didn't get that far into "spiritual" concepts as you well put. It sounded too much of a fairy-tale, and

Spoiler for end:
Still, some can't seem to see the brilliance of the end.

Shame

But seriously, I still do not believe how the trials that they have been through so far has been lessened by the act of having Hayami revived. I still find it hard that such an act can simply wipe away those hardships and deem them as a waste of time ot unnecessary.

On the whole, what is worthwhile for me to see, is that their relationship was built on rather than having a quick fix of using "magic" to just solve everything. I wouldn't have believed that the end result was half as precious if it has all been the work of some divine intervention with no experienced involved. It is those memories which makes their lives, and I don't think Hayami and Takuma would have gotten together without them.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 13:19   Link #1387
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:

IMHO that poem was never really all that meaningful to start with, but as you said, it's a past discussion and I have no intention into getting into that.

I totally agree, it's just that a small little twist making a blind guy being able to temporarily see (or think he could) is, let's say, mildly religious/magic (meaning, most people will accept it ), while resurrection is very deep into religious stuff and most people would rather think of it as magic (specially if they are part of specific religions that don't believe in resurrection or reincarnation) rather than believing that was religions. My point is this: the blindness thing is soft enough to not bug much people, the resurrection however, in my opinion, was over the top =p

Spoiler for end:
Very nice post, and this is exactly my feelings towards this series. In short, it lacked identity, tried to do too much in half a season, and thus, it destroyed itself. There are series that could mix fantasy and reality to produce a masterpiece, and I agree here that while the blindness thing is good, the resurrection was over the top. Caiobrz put it nicely with, "So I would have liked the ending better if they didn't get that far into "spiritual" concepts as you well put." You get cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
In other words, I think it was good because it was symbolic, but a lot of people didn't like/appreciate/"get" the symbolism so they didn't like or appreciate that aspect. As always, it's a matter of taste/preference, I guess.
Very true. It's just like how I love endings many people hate, this is all just a matter of opinion after all. That, and I'm very harsh in my analyses and ratings. For me, I could see the symbolisms, but they just didn't connect with me because of their presentation.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 14:09   Link #1388
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
But seriously, I still do not believe how the trials that they have been through so far has been lessened by the act of *this is a spoiler =p*. I still find it hard that such an act can simply wipe away those hardships and deem them as a waste of time ot unnecessary.
No, I'm not saying their trials and hardships where lessened, they are there, they went thru them anyway, sure they are valid. What I did mean is:

Spoiler for end:

And that's why I don't think the end FITS, not that it's not pretty, I still pick this title as one of the best latelly, as I said there is some awesome character development here so regardless if I loved or not this "spiritual" ending, I'm not letting 2 min (which I liked, just not as much the rest) spoil 12 awesome episodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare
For me, I could see the symbolisms, but they just didn't connect with me because of their presentation.
Well than cookie for you too =p, that's where I stand too, as my "spoiler" above explains
Old 2008-04-15, 14:18   Link #1389
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Meh, I still think the ending was great and I'm sick of arguing with everyone and their mom about it. Whatever.
Old 2008-04-15, 14:25   Link #1390
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Meh, I still think the ending was great and I'm sick of arguing with everyone and their mom about it. Whatever.
while I actually said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiobrz
...which I liked, just not as much the rest...

BTW everytime I listen to "Footprints in the Sand" by monet (ED episode 12), when there is that little stop in the music (which you all know what happens in the anime), a little tears dare to come =p
Old 2008-04-15, 22:11   Link #1391
Tragic
Stuck in Shitstorm
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Tragic
Quote:
BTW everytime I listen to "Footprints in the Sand" by monet (ED episode 12), when there is that little stop in the music (which you all know what happens in the anime), a little tears dare to come =p
You're not alone there. XP

The ending was fine in my opinion. I really don't understand why everyone thinks it was bad.
Tragic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 22:16   Link #1392
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Technically, I didn't hate it. On my scale, 6/10 doesn't mean "wow, that series suck," but it means "Good." I don't hate the ending, but it could've been a lot better in my opinion.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 06:30   Link #1393
bratchaman

I liked the ending but it was just "too perfect". No consequences at all and I didn't see a resolution to Takuma's issues with and his mother at all.

In a good story if there are these plot holes they are normally devices of the story that will have some sort of explanation later. Other than that, no complaints.
bratchaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 18:41   Link #1394
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Quote:
I didn't see a resolution to Takuma's issues with and his mother at all.
er ...

Spoiler for resolution to Takuma's issues:
Old 2008-04-18, 23:07   Link #1395
Taricitous

Send a message via MSN to Taricitous
umm Just questioning the resolution of the series .... who's child is Hinata when she comes back with Hiyami ..... that part got me confused, is she still a fairy? or have she too been resurrected or reborn in some way ....
Taricitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 00:20   Link #1396
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

That's an interesting question and I don't know there would be much difference. She remembers everything that Otoha does, so I would be inclined to say she is a Fairy (why would the said "Fairy council allow 2 ressurections at the same time" also points to that).

The way she brings in Hayami the same way she brought Takuma also gets me to "she is still a fairy" area...

Why she is smaller? beats me ...

Spoiler for lol:
Old 2008-04-19, 00:38   Link #1397
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taricitous View Post
umm Just questioning the resolution of the series .... who's child is Hinata when she comes back with Hiyami ..... that part got me confused, is she still a fairy? or have she too been resurrected or reborn in some way ....
She's a reincarnation. She is alive. Note the parent calling for her in the background. The parents are unknown.

DVD Volume 3 information:

Spoiler for stuff:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-04-19 at 01:44.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 07:46   Link #1398
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
HAHA...the otoha tackling game looks sweet as sugar

Look at her jump

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 19:43   Link #1399
Taricitous

Send a message via MSN to Taricitous
when did the 1st pic happen? i might have to re~watch it and hope to see Hinata in the sequel (haven't read about it yet)

Last edited by Taricitous; 2008-04-19 at 20:53. Reason: woohoo figured it out!:)
Taricitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 17:08   Link #1400
Caiobrz
Frantic Waller

Quote:
Note the parent calling for her in the background. The parents are unknown.
Wasn't that Hayami? oh well.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, kadokawa, makura, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs