AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-14, 23:49   Link #1
Automata

Manga N00b Looking for First Series

First post. Sorry if this is old or boring.

I've been addicted to anime series for some months now and would like to find a good first manga series to read in English. Here is some anime I've really enjoyed:

1. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, for its classic story, for its artistic sophistication as well as its futuristic setting.

2. Last Exile, for similar reasons. It's serious, involved and emotive.

3. Death Note, for its darkness, its humor, and its unique complexity.

4. Avatar, for being a very accessible story, yet with well-developed and complicated characters, emotive plot twists and humor.

I really enjoy reading hard sci-fi with grand and profound implications, and enjoy aesthetics almost as much as narrative, the two skillfully applied being, of course, ideal.

Meanwhile, if anyone has anime recommendations, I'd also be appreciative. Thanks!
Old 2008-07-15, 00:13   Link #2
jedinat

Not so many great sci-fi manga... but here's a few I've enjoyed:
Battle Angel Alita and its sequel, Last Order (rather a must, since it throws out the lame ending of the original)
Kiseijuu - sci-fi in the alien invasion sense. the art might not be too pretty, but its a very good manga
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - not sure how you feel about the slice-of-life genre, but this is a very good manga. great art and characters, big ideas subtly expressed
Old 2008-07-15, 00:15   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

seconding Alita, also HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHY recommending Jing: King of Bandits. I will say tat the first volume or so is a little on the average side and the art looks like DBZ, but the artist radically redefines his style and storytelling by volume 3, and it's one of the best looking, most awesome, imaginative, and amazing stories ever from then on.
Old 2008-07-15, 01:17   Link #4
Nervous Venus

I'm going to wholeheartedly recommend 20th Century Boys. Pretty epic manga by a pretty epic author who - I can gurantee you - continues to mind-feff us over and over again.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=319

I finally got a few guys to pick it up, and they've loved it so far. There is also a sequel to it called 21st Century Boys.
Old 2008-07-15, 01:54   Link #5
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'm assuming that you will try both the manga and the anime for the same series. (Sometimes, the change in media = drop in quality of enjoyment.)

A non-SF series I recommend is Monster, done by Urasawa Naoki (the author of 20th/21 Century Boys). It chills one to the bone.
Old 2008-07-15, 02:33   Link #6
signorRossi

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my favorite, tough stuff and thought provoking, much much better and more complex than the anime (the battle scene in the third volume at Sapata is just 'wow'). There are seven volumes in the English version by VIZ you can buy still now.
The Planetes manga is also a nice, intelligent read The childish elements of the anime are not present, but it is still funny from time to time (you learn about the importance of pr0n for long range space exploration, ha ha).
These are the 2 mangas I liked (out of 4 that I read, lol, but they are top notch).

Bye, signorRossi.
Old 2008-07-15, 14:54   Link #7
9mmx19

Battle Angel Alita is awesome.
Old 2008-07-15, 15:43   Link #8
james0246

For something similiar in design as Avatar, I suggest One Piece - a fun adventure series about a young boy who desire to become the Pirate King and the various adventures he and his friends have as they embark on their Journey. This series is also a great introduction to Shounen manga.

edit: just to make sure, but Avatar = Avatar: The Last Airbender, correct? If it is not, then my suggestion will not make sense, but if it is, my suggestion is applicable.
Old 2008-07-17, 02:04   Link #9
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

elfen lied, the show totally blow my mind apart from start to finish.
Old 2008-07-19, 03:39   Link #10
beanBandit

I'll also recommend Battle Angel Alita and Nausicaa, which imo might objectively be the best manga ever created. If you're looking especially for "hard sci-fi", then it doesn't get any better than Akira. It may be a little older, but it's about as awesome and epic as manga will get (let alone sci-fi). Appleseed is also very good and super smart, though you might need to have some taste for Masumune Shirow's style, that is, it's a little slower and the action factor is turned down. The Legend of Mother Sarah is also older and good but may be hard to find... One more sci-fi recommendation: check out the Evangelion manga, one of my favorites and I actually thought it was a little better than the anime.

Some non-sci-fi:
Gunsmith Cats (my personal favorite manga)
Oh My Goddess
Marmalade Boy
Dance Till Tomorrow
Buddha
Ode To Kirihito
Adolf

and Avatar rocks.
Old 2008-07-19, 15:37   Link #11
Automata

Thank you for your recommendations, everybody. Lots of stuff for the future!

I purchased the first two books in the Nausicaa series (the movie was one of my earliest anime loves) and the first three Battle Angel Alita books. I'm looking forward to starting them as soon as I finish the novel I'm reading. The Nausicaa books are beautiful in that larger format.

By the way, Naruto, which I've downloaded some of, is a lot like Avatar, I find. Seems Avatar got more than a few ideas from it. I only wish it were easier to read from a screen.
Old 2008-07-19, 18:04   Link #12
Rahan

If you are into sci-fi, you should check out Planetes. There isn't much action and it isn't very epic in the beginning (it's about a space debris clean-up team, and especially one of the members who dreams to own his own spaceship), but it has a good taste of Arthur C Clarke going manga.
Old 2008-07-21, 22:45   Link #13
Automata

I've just recently started watching the anime of Planetes, actually. I'm enjoying it so far. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 2008-07-22, 07:09   Link #14
Coolhart

I guess your still exploring all kinds of anime's to check where your preferences lie ha?
Try Angel Densetsu by Yagi Norihiro. Thats the guy that wrote Claymore also a very great anime/manga. Angel Densetsu just has a lot of coincidental humor in it. About this guy with a face of a demon but the heart of an angel and how he has to cope with everyday school life.
Densha Otoko by Nakano Hitori. You might have heard of the live action series or movie of this. reading this makes you really just root for this underdog.
Closed Thread