4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.48%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.95%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-21, 07:29   Link #161
Mentar
Banned

Thanks for the screenshots, they helped. Hmmm... I have to agree that they are making for a compelling argument. It does indeed look like the Grief Seed is Charlotte's after all. Alright.

Decagon: It's a bit complicated to explain for me (since in my main theory, Madoka already _was_ a MG before Homura became a MG and used her own wish to rip Madoka out of the meat grinder), but I think Madoka has no business there. In fact, by trying to return to become a MG, she's screwing others - especially Homura - over bigtime.

I suspect that the meat grinder works like this: A victim contracts with Kyubey for a wish and gains the soul gem. The soul gem contaminates _automatically_, even if the girl doesn't use magic. And if the gem is polluted too much, a MG turns into a witch herself. So, all MGs are forced to fight witches merely to stay alive. The bigger the soul gem, the higher is the spoilage, and so a powerful MG needs to collect more Grief Seeds to purify her gem and stay a MG. This also fits with what Miki said that MGs are in competition with each other: If your own soul gem is dangerously polluted, you won't accept if other MGs try for the same witch. And it's stable: If there's no witches to defeat (and so, no chance to purify your soul gem), soon there will be new witches by default pollution. Maybe - and this would be the most gruesome form, and it's obviously at least not unthinkable - it might even cause MGs to fight between each other.

It's like a drug racket, a cannibalizing pyramid scheme without escape. If my suspicion is mostly on target, the only correct decision is to STAY AWAY, or maybe try to somehow break up the racket. Not to join it.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 07:36   Link #162
Mef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnavion View Post
Where are you guys getting the names of the witches from? The ones which flash during the episode are some fictional script right?
Yes, but fans deciphered it: http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Deciphering_the_runes
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 07:47   Link #163
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Did someone mentioned the fact that the OP for this episode was updated?
Which parts? I only noticed that the "self-yuri" scene was changed a bit. Madoka and her older self are now surrounded by a sphere, and the symmetrical docking is a lot more detailed :3
Old 2011-01-21, 07:53   Link #164
Arnavion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef View Post
Ooh thanks! Quite the fan effort there haha!
Arnavion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 08:06   Link #165
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Imo they should have used a bloodbath for mami's death with chopped head, would have been more dramatic and realistic. And what's happen to Mami corpse? Disappear in the parallel world or completely eaten?
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 08:27   Link #166
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i must say that i didn't see that happening. i was pretty much shocked!! but hell, MAMI!!! T_T a sexy badass gal, why must that happen? Oh, it must be kyubey's plan. it's all a conspiracy to lure the two in being a mahou shoujo! DX

that being said, man, i'm loving what this show can do. i see it the most interesting amongst this year's winter shows.(along with hourou musuko)

now,i better expect more deaths to come to avoid getting too shocked!
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 09:15   Link #167
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I suspect that the meat grinder works like this: A victim contracts with Kyubey for a wish and gains the soul gem. The soul gem contaminates _automatically_, even if the girl doesn't use magic. And if the gem is polluted too much, a MG turns into a witch herself. So, all MGs are forced to fight witches merely to stay alive. The bigger the soul gem, the higher is the spoilage, and so a powerful MG needs to collect more Grief Seeds to purify her gem and stay a MG. This also fits with what Miki said that MGs are in competition with each other: If your own soul gem is dangerously polluted, you won't accept if other MGs try for the same witch. And it's stable: If there's no witches to defeat (and so, no chance to purify your soul gem), soon there will be new witches by default pollution. Maybe - and this would be the most gruesome form, and it's obviously at least not unthinkable - it might even cause MGs to fight between each other.

It's like a drug racket, a cannibalizing pyramid scheme without escape. If my suspicion is mostly on target, the only correct decision is to STAY AWAY, or maybe try to somehow break up the racket. Not to join it.
Considering the new ED animation... it seems to be the "most-likely" to happen scenario.

The only think I don't really like about the theory is why a Grief Seed would purify a MG Gem. If a Grief Seed is the result of a fallen MG, a corrupted gem, then why would it "purify" a MG Gem?... shouldn't a corrupted gem only further taint a pure gem and drive the MG closer to witch-dom? Unless, the gem in its original form isn't good or bad and is just a source of power... and its corruption is not based on whether or not you continue feeding it Grief Seeds, but it is instead a reflection of the users own inner feeling... and if they can continue believing in the "light" or get dragged down into the "dark." To be honest, if that was the case we might see a full revival at the end... minus the martyr Madoka...

That would be a happy but sad ending that would kinda placate both sides of the fandom right?
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 09:39   Link #168
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Considering the new ED animation... it seems to be the "most-likely" to happen scenario.

The only think I don't really like about the theory is why a Grief Seed would purify a MG Gem. If a Grief Seed is the result of a fallen MG, a corrupted gem, then why would it "purify" a MG Gem?... shouldn't a corrupted gem only further taint a pure gem and drive the MG closer to witch-dom?
Well, we've seen how it worked in ep2. We've seen how some darkness was drawn out of the soul gem and transferred into the Grief Seed.

In fact, this is what I consider to be among the strongest evidence for my "witches are fallen magical girls" theory: This darkness seems to be the interdependency between MGs and witches: Witches have too much of it, MGs need to get rid of it.
Old 2011-01-21, 09:43   Link #169
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Well, we've seen how it worked in ep2. We've seen how some darkness was drawn out of the soul gem and transferred into the Grief Seed.

In fact, this is what I consider to be among the strongest evidence for my "witches are fallen magical girls" theory: This darkness seems to be the interdependency between MGs and witches: Witches have too much of it, MGs need to get rid of it.
Get rid of it by tainting the witch's soul further. That's not exactly a good thing.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 09:43   Link #170
kimpleng
Lurker

This ep 3 really unexpected. I loss at word.
So I will jus post a pic.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-23 at 07:58. Reason: Changed image code
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 09:45   Link #171
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Get rid of it by tainting the witch's soul further. That's not exactly a good thing.
They can only do it after the witch is _dead_, remember?
Old 2011-01-21, 10:08   Link #172
Random Wanderer

Quote:
They can only do it after the witch is _dead_, remember?
If souls are being considered an immortal existance beyond just a physical life, then adding corruption to a witches soul could still be seen as a terrible thing. In the Faustian-Christian tradition, a soul that existed beyond death was a major theme, with the person being either tormented in hell or living in paradise in Heaven. Further tainting a witches soul could be sending them further into hell, adding even more horror to their afterlife. A terrible thing, if these truly were mostly innocent girls whose only crime was to be tricked into a contract by Kyubey.
Old 2011-01-21, 10:12   Link #173
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
If souls are being considered an immortal existance beyond just a physical life, then adding corruption to a witches soul could still be seen as a terrible thing. In the Faustian-Christian tradition, a soul that existed beyond death was a major theme, with the person being either tormented in hell or living in paradise in Heaven. Further tainting a witches soul could be sending them further into hell, adding even more horror to their afterlife. A terrible thing, if these truly were mostly innocent girls whose only crime was to be tricked into a contract by Kyubey.
Hey, this whole racket is set up and run by the _devil_. Kyubey represents Mephisto in "Faust", and he's the one tempting the poor souls. Fulfillment of wishes in exchange for the soul. So, if adding corruption would push her into hell more, then Kyubey is doing a great job. This is exactly what he WANTS, you know?
Old 2011-01-21, 10:28   Link #174
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Hey, this whole racket is set up and run by the _devil_. Kyubey represents Mephisto in "Faust", and he's the one tempting the poor souls. Fulfillment of wishes in exchange for the soul. So, if adding corruption would push her into hell more, then Kyubey is doing a great job. This is exactly what he WANTS, you know?
Oh, I'm not arguing with that. I'm sure, if we're correct about Kyubey (I still have to qualify that because we still don't REALLY know for sure, however likely it's becoming), that Kyubey's ecstatic about the whole thing. But it's still a horrible, evil thing to do. If the girls knew that was happening, I don't think they'd be as willing to use the grief seeds as they have been.
Old 2011-01-21, 10:34   Link #175
Genten
has a custom user title

Huh.

Spoiler for Episode Three:
Old 2011-01-21, 10:37   Link #176
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
I don't think they'd be as willing to use the grief seeds as they have been.
I think they'd be even more willing to use those Grief Seeds if they knew that was a fate which they would suffer if they didn't keep feeding their own gems/seeds.

Damn, and I really wanted a happy ending... I seriously don't need a Mahou Shoujo show reminding me what a shi*ty world we live in.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 11:01   Link #177
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I just realised:
"Chocolate flavor" room
"Charlotte"

They were invited to Charlotte's Demonic Chocolate Factory!
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 11:05   Link #178
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Damn, and I really wanted a happy ending... I seriously don't need a Mahou Shoujo show reminding me what a shi*ty world we live in.
man,now i'm also reminded how i'm going to suffer in hell since THE END IS NEAR! uggh. yeah,too pessimistic i guess. DX but srsly, it's either a few would remain alive in madoka or none at all. total rupture. XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 11:09   Link #179
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Ahh Genten, I have the same question too. Mephistopheles Kyubey from how it seems, is playing a game, but of what sort? To whom has Mephistopheles wagered? And with what did he wager with? We've yet really seen the Prolog im Himmel, as ironic as it is...

Sayaka is a character that I do like. She is shown to be one that is open to critical thinking time and time again. I hope that she can actually remain out of the radar enough to make more acute observations about the figures that she finds herself facing...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 11:18   Link #180
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Madoka is now #1 in pre-order in the anime category and #2 overall behind Star Wars.

If you look at the trend graphs thing really took off after ep3:
http://www.rankbank.net/amaran/histo...sin=B004INGZAE
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote