Old 2008-08-14, 20:06   Link #201
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep6:
Old 2008-08-14, 21:15   Link #202
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Everyone else has covered the major points about Ep6, so I don't have much to add. I liked the episode because Natsume fell in love with Tsubame even as she fell in love with Taniozaki. It seems clear to me that Natsume experienced something more than just "attachment". He was very fond of Tsubame and seeing her face for the first time in the photo only made him realise how much he really liked her. That's what made the yukata so special — it was his parting gift to his first crush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
Well I shouldn't say underrated now that I think about it, rather it doesn't receive all the attention it deserves?
To be honest, Natsume Yuujinchou is rather mild compared to Kurenai, so I can't really say it's "underrated". I haven't watched Baccano! yet, but I gather that it too was easily far more interesting than this show. In short, Brain Base has done much more challenging and exciting stuff before.

Natsume Yuujinchou dwells entirely on the theme of loneliness and after a few episodes, the story gets a bit old. Mushishi, which some have compared to this show, dealt with a different issue in each episode, and thus expands Ginko's world. We met new characters and confronted different questions every week. Natsume Yuujinchou doesn't quite do this.

It does, however, deliver sentimentality in great doses. Seen as a "feel good" summer series, Natsume Yuujinchou succeeds very well. I don't think the writer, Midorikawa Yuki, was attempting to explore BIG ideas with this story, so I can't really fault her for a "simplistic" plot.

I know I'm enjoying what I see, and that's more than enough for now.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 22:22   Link #203
Ultenth

I'm not sure that I agree with you that he fell in love with her. Just because something appears to be the opposite sex and you become attached to them doesn't mean you are romantically interested in them, that is kind of a limited view of their relationship in my opinion. I think he simply cared deeply for her well-being and felt a connection to her due to shared lonelyness, and wanted to be able to help her fulfill her wishes. I think the tears were simply those for someone you care about who you were able to help acheive a wish they had.

It can of course be interpreted your way if you wish, but I see no reason why it has to be interpreted that way and in many ways I prefer the idea that they are just close and he cares about her as a friend, not that he wanted to do her.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 00:26   Link #204
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth
Just because something appears to be the opposite sex and you become attached to them doesn't mean you are romantically interested in them, that is kind of a limited view of their relationship in my opinion. I think he simply cared deeply for her well-being and felt a connection to her due to shared lonelyness, and wanted to be able to help her fulfill her wishes.
Normally, I'd agree. In this particular episode however, I think it was indeed puppy love. "Attachment" and "fondness" are often euphemisms for love, especially where the Japanese are concerned. The signs are so subtle that it sometimes surprises viewers who don't see them. I base my opinions from Natsume's reactions when he and Tsubame held hands, from the way he hugged back when Tsubame hugged him in gratitude, and most of all, from his determination to win the yukata for her.

It wasn't "love" in the same sense as, A Chinese Ghost Story (1987), for example. But I definitely suspect a hint of a developing crush.

It's only my opinion of course. You don't have to agree. But it's what made Ep6 special for me.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-08-15 at 15:32. Reason: Spelling error, changed yutaka to yukata.
Old 2008-08-15, 00:39   Link #205
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
"Attachment" and "fondness" are often euphemisms for love, especially where the Japanese are concerned.
In this particular episode, it's rather difficult to say with certainty that there was any type of "love" involved, considering the same phrase, "jyou ga utsuru" was used when Natsume was questioning/teasing Madara about his feelings towards Natsume...unless it's some kind of boys love type series...
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 00:52   Link #206
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
In this particular episode, it's rather difficult to say with certainty that there was any type of "love" involved, considering the same phrase, "jyou ga utsuru" was used when Natsume was questioning/teasing Madara about his feelings towards Natsume...unless it's some kind of boys love type series...
That is true, I do remember that part, later in the episode he stated that Nyanko-Sensei wouldn't eat him because he was getting attached to him, and he did say it using the same phrase he used when referring to his feelings for Tsubame. Though I still think there is enough wiggle room (it is art after all) to interpret it as you like, I personally feel it was more just a close friendship. That also to me seems to be more profound, because then his connection becomes more about their circumstances and the issues they are dealing with and the bond developed from him trying to cure her loneliness. In a way she's really the only person so far that he has interacted with for a decent length of time that he never has to hide anything with, and doesn't annoy or harrass or make fun of him like some of the other yokai and Nyanko-sensei do.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 01:48   Link #207
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's no less artistic if there was romantic love involved. In fact, I think it strengthens the story's recurring theme. We've seen ayakashi turn into youkai because they fell in hate rather than falling in love. Tsubame could almost have become a cursed spirit, had she not been rescued from that fate due to a simple act of kindness. To me, this episode dealt with the theme of loneliness from a yet another slightly different angle, this time focusing on how the actions of others can affect the way we deal with abandonment.

In Ep1, it was about misunderstanding and ostracising others due to their apearances. In Ep2, it was about how belief in others can keep them going on. In Ep3, it was another misunderstanding based on apperances, with the slight difference that Natsume realises how spirits and humans are alike because they meet with their hearts, and also that taking the first step to befriend someone is always difficult. In Ep4, we have the first example of a spirit whose "soul" became tainted because of hate and how its only redemption lay in another person's conviction of its purity. In Ep5, we see a facet of friendship, about how true friendship lies beneath surface disagreements.

Seen from these perspectives, if Ep6 had just been another tale about Natsume realising his connection with spirits, I'd say it's bland and a repeat of Ep2 or Ep3. That's why I think Ep6 is special because, this time round, Natsume feels something more than just a "connection". This time, it was personal, and not just an obligation to fulfil.

So, seeing the "romance" in this episode isn't wishful thinking on my part. Rather, I think it adds an effective layer to the same onion. The series has been made stronger because of the addition of this slightly romantic angle, not made weaker, as some may claim.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-08-15 at 02:31.
Old 2008-08-15, 04:22   Link #208
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not much to add about episode 6 except that I would have liked to be kept in the dark as to whetever Tsubame did meet the guy or not, but that's just a minor complaint. In any case, I really loved that episode.

From the preview, it looks like the cute fox girl in the opening will appear in the next episode, and she's voiced by Akiko Yajima, which just means extra cuteness.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 05:06   Link #209
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

When it comes to the love discussion, i only see it has feelings that could have happened if both Tsubame & Natsume stayed together. As of what we seen in episode 06, to me that was just an attachment from Natsume. We know he hasn't been able to be that close ever in his life with someone, and that's what made this episode such a remarkable one.
Old 2008-08-15, 07:52   Link #210
Hikari no Clover

i love this anime,the best anime in july , my opinion...
a question about ep 6, is tsubame blind rite?
Hikari no Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 08:33   Link #211
FateAnomaly

At first i don't think that Natsume is in love with Tsubame. But after thinking about it a bit, there is indeed the possibility of it. The scene where he holds her hand and thinking that it is nice and cool hinted at the possibility. Either way though this is a great episode.

I don't think Tsubame is blind but she probably had freaky eyes (demon eyes). Thats why she wears a mask and when she met the guy she closes her eye. Then again she may really be blind.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 08:41   Link #212
Tworble

I jjust marathoned 3-6,...I had forgotten how good this show is. I like how Natsume has a subtle chemistry with everyone around him. I real loved how creative some of the imagery gets as well...soone this might be popular enough for a message board of it's own!
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 11:55   Link #213
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
At first i don't think that Natsume is in love with Tsubame. But after thinking about it a bit, there is indeed the possibility of it. The scene where he holds her hand and thinking that it is nice and cool hinted at the possibility. Either way though this is a great episode.
Instead of love, can't you see that as Natsume's first interaction with someone? This is probably the first time he's been that close to someone, even holding hands so he is going to have comments like that. & because he is still worried, it's comments that'll stay in his head.

I just think people are taking it the wrong way with this love idea.
Old 2008-08-15, 14:09   Link #214
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Spoiler:
More manga spoilers

Spoiler:
Old 2008-08-15, 14:37   Link #215
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
More manga spoilers

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 15:24   Link #216
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
I just think people are taking it the wrong way with this love idea.
Well, I did describe it as a "hint of a crush". As you observed, there were "feelings that could have happened if both Tsubame & Natsume stayed together". Even Madara noticed something amiss, dismissively referring to Natsume & Tsubame as "kids" on two occasions in the episode. So, yes, this was the first time Natsume truly opened himself to another individual. I'm just asking what seems obvious to me: Why Tsubame? Why not Sasada two episodes ago?

Anyway, I hope I've not caused any hard feelings. It seems we've got another endearing character to watch, come next episode, so there may well be other issues to debate by then.
Old 2008-08-15, 15:40   Link #217
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Spoiler:
He seems especially popular with the lady Yokai
Old 2008-08-15, 19:53   Link #218
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Anyway, I hope I've not caused any hard feelings.
Not at all. It's just fun-fun discussion at the end of the day. & there's nothing more i love then talking about episode 06, the one that really made an impact on me.

& yes episode 07 looks to be quite the heart warmer.
Old 2008-08-15, 22:56   Link #219
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Not at all. It's just fun-fun discussion at the end of the day. & there's nothing more i love then talking about episode 06, the one that really made an impact on me.

& yes episode 07 looks to be quite the heart warmer.
Yeah, in the end as long as we are enjoying talking about it that's the important thing. Personally I'm not sure where Natsume's feelings truly fell. But in the end I can definitely agree that he cared a lot about her and went far as he could this time to grant that wish. Its something thats come up a few times with either the youkai or the human trying to reach out. Because this one was so important to him he really put a lot on the line. Even knowing he would be in danger still wanted to go to the festival after the yukata. Sure puts sensei into tough spots .
Old 2008-08-15, 23:45   Link #220
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari no Clover View Post
i love this anime,the best anime in july , my opinion...
a question about ep 6, is tsubame blind rite?
I thought she was a spirit of swallow's infant so that she had no sense of sight. Anyway, spirits tend to depend much on the olfactory recognition rather than optical view, as seen in the previous episodes and Nyanko Sensei's remark in ep1.

It was interesting for me to find Natsume did not once call her own name. He just called Tsubame (swallow) till end. I feel the relationship between them is after all that of different species; sympathy or affection would be better expression for it than love. Otherwise, he might have tried to hide his feeling, as often for boys around that age.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brains-base, fantasy, supernatural, yokai