AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-06-06, 19:34   Link #661
IceHism

damn, i just could not get into this episode.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-06, 19:35   Link #662
Decel

Hey, doesn't Izana ever wonder why her grandma is as hot or hotter than her own mother?!?
Old 2014-06-06, 20:05   Link #663
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
Hey, doesn't Izana ever wonder why her grandma is as hot or hotter than her own mother?!?
Remember why Tanikaze only has grandpa Hiroki and no "dad"? Maybe Izana doesn't have a "mom" either since her "grandma" was the scientist that did all that stuff including cloning Hiroki?
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-06, 21:09   Link #664
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
damn, i just could not get into this episode.
And just why not? It was a juicy, meaty, episode ... obvious setup for an episode where shit is gonna get real. For what is, ostensibly, filler; a lot of stuff happens.

Sidonia is going to drop a colony on the seventh planet of the Lem starsystem ... with the Gauna chasing them in the whole way. The Gauna, apparently, are content to chip away at Sidonia through attrition ... spamming Sidonia with lumbering garden-variety Gauna ... all of whom are, apparently, effortlessly dispatched by Tanikaze. Still, pilots are getting killed, and morale is slowly starting to suffer (witness the water-cooler talk going from "I might get promoted ... yay!" to "Oh God, oh God, oh God ... please don't promote me!")

Ominously, the Ace Gauna, Hoshijiro of Nine is nowhere to be found.

Also, we are treated to a, frankly, creepy montage where Tanikaze approaches Hoshijiro of Borg, while smiling; in one shot ... and then the next, news clippings of him blowing away all her alien starfish buddies ... and then back to creepy Hoshijiro of Borg/Tanikaze scenes ... and then back to Gauna being pwned.

Kunato, suffering from PTSD, arranges for time off, and learns that an artifact of UNLIMITED POWER resides in his mansion; and you can see the wheels starting to turn in his head.

Izana gets promoted, but still can't catch a break in his/her pursuit of Tanikaze. (His/her reaction to Doctor "These Tits Don't Do Bras" Tahiro is priceless. Worse, he/she catches Tanikaze checking out the good Doctor's rack.) Though, at least, he/she and the ship's Exec are united in their jealousy of Hoshijiro of Borg.

We learn the pilots of Sidonia view the Gauna as big, dumb, civilization-eating animals. Cue Tanikaze with the uncomfortable philosophical suggestion that the Gauna might be as intelligent as they are (or the "well ... what happens if a Gauna can perfectly duplicate a person ... does that make the Gauna replicant the same being as the person who was replicated?)

The Exec, apparently swings some leave-time for Tanikaze and Izana. Tanikaze puts on his best "I've got a bad feeling about this" look. Doctor "These sweater-puppies are free-range" Tahiro realizes Hoshijiro of Borg, when not babbling incoherently, attempting to tentacle rape, staring at, and otherwise aping Tanikaze, spends all her free time staring right at the kabizashi storage room (literally, like, fifteen miles away, buried deep inside the ship's hull.)

And then the episode ends with an ominous shot of Hoshijiro of Nine, watching Sidonia cruising toward her.
Old 2014-06-06, 21:40   Link #665
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
And just why not? It was a juicy, meaty, episode ... obvious setup for an episode where shit is gonna get real. For what is, ostensibly, filler; a lot of stuff happens.

Sidonia is going to drop a colony on the seventh planet of the Lem starsystem ... with the Gauna chasing them in the whole way. The Gauna, apparently, are content to chip away at Sidonia through attrition ... spamming Sidonia with lumbering garden-variety Gauna ... all of whom are, apparently, effortlessly dispatched by Tanikaze. Still, pilots are getting killed, and morale is slowly starting to suffer (witness the water-cooler talk going from "I might get promoted ... yay!" to "Oh God, oh God, oh God ... please don't promote me!")

Ominously, the Ace Gauna, Hoshijiro of Nine is nowhere to be found.

Also, we are treated to a, frankly, creepy montage where Tanikaze approaches Hoshijiro of Borg, while smiling; in one shot ... and then the next, news clippings of him blowing away all her alien starfish buddies ... and then back to creepy Hoshijiro of Borg/Tanikaze scenes ... and then back to Gauna being pwned.

Kunato, suffering from PTSD, arranges for time off, and learns that an artifact of UNLIMITED POWER resides in his mansion; and you can see the wheels starting to turn in his head.

Izana gets promoted, but still can't catch a break in his/her pursuit of Tanikaze. (His/her reaction to Doctor "These Tits Don't Do Bras" Tahiro is priceless. Worse, he/she catches Tanikaze checking out the good Doctor's rack.) Though, at least, he/she and the ship's Exec are united in their jealousy of Hoshijiro of Borg.

We learn the pilots of Sidonia view the Gauna as big, dumb, civilization-eating animals. Cue Tanikaze with the uncomfortable philosophical suggestion that the Gauna might be as intelligent as they are (or the "well ... what happens if a Gauna can perfectly duplicate a person ... does that make the Gauna replicant the same being as the person who was replicated?)

The Exec, apparently swings some leave-time for Tanikaze and Izana. Tanikaze puts on his best "I've got a bad feeling about this" look. Doctor "These sweater-puppies are free-range" Tahiro realizes Hoshijiro of Borg, when not babbling incoherently, attempting to tentacle rape, staring at, and otherwise aping Tanikaze, spends all her free time staring right at the kabizashi storage room (literally, like, fifteen miles away, buried deep inside the ship's hull.)

And then the episode ends with an ominous shot of Hoshijiro of Nine, watching Sidonia cruising toward her.
Because the parts that i felt that mattered to the plot (Kunato watching the camera, gauna staring at the kabizashi) weren't shown for a significant time. The repeat of Nagate going to see Hoshijiro felt jarring after the first two times. And also how much of the episode did they dedicate to Nagate's pathetic social interactions that didn't seem to matter at all?

Though i was really entertained by Izana's face when that girl who works at that top secret lab was introducing herself to nagate. that was good.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-06, 21:59   Link #666
VTHokiePride

So the Gauna are really just after the Kabizashi and all people that want to leave Sidonia aren't crazy after all?
Old 2014-06-06, 22:43   Link #667
Mysterius

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
So the Gauna are really just after the Kabizashi and all people that want to leave Sidonia aren't crazy after all?
The Gauna are after the Kabizashi, but they aren't just after the Kabizashi.

Remember, the Gauna attacked humanity long before the Kabizashi were discovered, destroying Earth and chasing the Sidonia.

Last edited by Solace; 2014-06-06 at 23:29. Reason: No manga spoilers. And use proper spoiler tags.
Mysterius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 00:52   Link #668
Esclair

The last scene with the Hoshijiro placenta gazing at the Kabizashi, then zooming out to Benisuzume was absolutely pefect. So much tension with the creepy music.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 05:03   Link #669
Tranhieu

For some strange reason I really like the fact that they skipped the battles to give Hoshijiro more screen time. She definitely reached the level of moe there with that toddler like speech.

On the side note I have no idea where the anime is going. It hasn't deviated from the manga yet all the events are mixed up in a weird way. The bright side is that manga readers now can look forward to the upcoming episodes with anticipation.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 05:47   Link #670
DMurphy

This was a - well, I enjoyed this episode quite a lot, but it's unmistakeably connective tissue, linking one major plot event to another. Gauna!Hoshijiro is incredibly creepy, especially given the revelation that both she and Benisuzume are always aware of where the Kabizashi are.

That said, we know this doesn't mean that the Gauna are drawn to the Kabizashi - not just because they attacked Earth, but also because from what we've heard so far, the Kabizashi were retrieved during a prolonged Gauna attack on the Sidonia, and the Gauna haven't been seen since until the events of the story.

Also, there's literally no way that Kunato learning about the mad scientist brain hidden in his mansion is going to end well. No way at all.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 08:24   Link #671
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post

Also, there's literally no way that Kunato learning about the mad scientist brain hidden in his mansion is going to end well. No way at all.
Just because Kunato is a power hungry megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur who will jeopardize the entire ship just to get what he wants, everyone thinks ill of him!
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 08:51   Link #672
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 9 was an enjoyable watch, but it was also the first one where it felt like the plot calmed down a bit, and was less like a roller coaster ride.

Except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post

This somehow never occurred to me. Now this episode seems potentially like a bigger deal in the grand scheme of the plot.
Old 2014-06-07, 11:48   Link #673
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Just because Kunato is a power hungry megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur who will jeopardize the entire ship just to get what he wants, everyone thinks ill of him!
I just hope it doesn't ultimately drag down Mozuku....she's infinitely more likeable than her brother.

BTW, Kobayashi is surprisingly tolerant of Ochiai....I mean she still makes conversation with him...Granted it's when his "Ochiai" state is suppressed but still....

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2014-06-07 at 12:02.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 12:59   Link #674
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I just hope it doesn't ultimately drag down Mozuku....she's infinitely more likeable than her brother.

BTW, Kobayashi is surprisingly tolerant of Ochiai....I mean she still makes conversation with him...Granted it's when his "Ochiai" state is suppressed but still....
They've been war buddies and Immortals for some five hundred years. And then, after the lobotomy, he's been a faithful, if slow, servant for another hundred, so they have lots of history.

Come to think of it, she's pretty indulgent with all her old immortal buddies. She's tolerant of Hiyama, even though Hiyama mostly yells at her for being an asshole. Presumably she could've had Grandpa Badass (Hiro) hunted down, but chose to acquiesce to his desire to die; and she has a soft-spot for his immortal clone Tanikaze, to the point where she protects him from the Immortal Council (mostly by trying get him killed in combat, but still.)
Old 2014-06-07, 13:43   Link #675
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That's why I say she also has a rough deal. She makes the hard, painful decisions, but her friends either yell at her (Hiyama) or just plain abandon her (Hiroki). Not to mention Ochiai's betrayal.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 14:18   Link #676
cupumanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I wonder if the Kabizashi might be an egg shell of the Gauna, and the pyramid that housed them was originally the birthing place of the Gauna? They could have been an experiment gone wrong (or right).

A possible reason why the Kabizashi cannot be created or found anywhere else is because it is Gauna. Also, the possible reason why it can react with Gauna is because the Kabizashi is Gauna as well.
Thats exactly what I think too.

My problem with this episode, is how Mozuku could easily camera hack the Secondary Archive chamber as if it is nothing. First Type 18 private chat, now this. The Immortal Councils surveillance and security is really weak.

On less important things, read the news bulletin:
>Mysterious Incidents in Female Photosythesis Chamber
>New Rice Strain Introduced(what Nagate would read)
>Interview with the Legandary Frame Mechanic: Sasaki and Tanba
>The comeback of Toha Heavy Industries
>Type 18 improvement plans.

...and by the way, Im surely not the only one that noticed Kunato, Honoka, Tsugumori, Hoshijiro's name mentioned in the ED...
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 14:24   Link #677
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
Thats exactly what I think too.

My problem with this episode, is how Mozuku could easily camera hack the Secondary Archive chamber as if it is nothing. First Type 18 private chat, now this. The Immortal Councils surveillance and security is really weak.
Kunato's family controls one of the major industrial contractors aboard Sidonia. One might suggest that, like today's intelligence agencies (i.e. the CIA and NSA,) some manufacturers of home networking and monitoring equipment, or the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica, they've stuck back doors in the systems they furnish to Sidonia.
Old 2014-06-07, 14:32   Link #678
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post

Did she? I thought she was just speaking to herself.

To me Kobayashi is quite an evil one. Rather than sentencing Ochiai to death after his arrest according to laws, she decided to keep the brain alive and tormented him for centuries instead, which is way more horrible than death itself.

She also managed to sneak Tanikaze into the academy, then dealed with the Council to make him his favorite pilot, and even gave him Hiro's frame all by herself. She wants to make the most out of anyone she's interested in, but when situations call for, she's not afraid of compromising.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 14:35   Link #679
BaronNoir

Knights of Sidonia have an official French manga edition....(obviously my native language is French) and the traduction is so god-awful that I have to...check online...to understand some plot points.

Oh, and I find that this is a refreshing take on mecha genre
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 14:48   Link #680
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
To me Kobayashi is quite an evil one. Rather than sentencing Ochiai to death after his arrest according to laws, she decided to keep the brain alive and tormented him for centuries instead, which is way more horrible than death itself.
Aside from the possibility that Ochiai may have deserved this fate (after his betrayal the total population of Sidonia was less than 400), this decision seems to have been made for largely pragmatic reasons. They had just lost nearly all of their population and their main knowledge archives were also destroyed during the war. As Shinatose Yure noted, a backup existed, but it was only possible to access this backup using Ochiai's brain, so they had to keep him alive or Sidonia would have rapidly begun to fall apart given that they wouldn't have had the knowledge necessary to maintain the ship and its population otherwise.

Last edited by Alhazred; 2014-06-07 at 15:59.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, space